• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
www.thetimes.co.uk

Prince William blames African population pressure for wildlife loss

The Duke of Cambridge has renewed his attack on population growth in Africa for destroying wildlife, despite having been accused of hypocrisy for making the same point while expecting his third child.At the Tusk Conservation Awards last night, the duke said: “The increasing pressure on Africa’s wild

The Duke of Cambridge has renewed his attack on the increasing impact human population is having on Africa's wildlife, despite having been accused of hypocrisy for criticising population growth while expecting his third child.

At the Tusk Conservation Awards last night the duke said: "The increasing pressure on Africa's wildlife and wild spaces as a result of human population presents a huge challenge for conservationists, as it does the world over."

Thank god the royals are concerned with the environment.

The article from this reply has some numbers:

Another important factor that Prince William failed to take into consideration, is the carbon footprint of citizens in the Global North in comparison to the Global South.

A study from Oxfam released in January 2020 found that the average British citizen is responsible for more CO2 emissions in just two weeks than a resident of any one of seven African countries in an entire year. The countries in question were: Rwanda, Malawi, Ethiopia, Uganda, Madagascar, Guinea and Burkina Faso.

For further comparison, the Eco Expert estimated the annual carbon footprint of the UK's Royal family in October this year, and found that their carbon output was a huge 3,810 tonnes, while the average Brit emits just 10 tonnes per year.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Blacks need to stop breeding"

signed, the white heir to a white supremacist organization.

Oct 27, 2017
fuck off royal assholes.

After what Imperialist Britain (and other European imperialist blood relatives of yours Willy) did to Africa as a whole you dont get to talk about it.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
It baffles me to this day why people seek or seriously accept ridiculously entitled and rich people's opinions on things they cannot possibly know anything about.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why I am still amazed when I repeatedly find out how out of touch rich people are. Just fuck off, basically.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little unclear on the responses in this thread. Is the consensus that yes, he's right, but given his family history he shouldn't be talking about it? Even the link Diipu posted seemed to agree, and just added other considerations (carbon footprint, density, etc.)

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Since I cant read the rest of the article

Did he point the damage of imperialism/colonialism must also be addressed for Africa to move on. Fair trade practices, hold western/eastern companies responsible for supporting the damage being done to the environment and ending the slave workforce, also wanting the sharing of advance technology and aid for environmental conservation in Africa.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Human population pressure is definitely putting a humongous toll on the environment, but when he's about to have his third kid he can fuck off. Lead by example if you want people to follow.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I feel like colonialism and capitalism really got the ball rolling on reaping the entire planet.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No shit William Population Growth impacts wildlife, but perhaps he should focus his attention to the damage Britain has done to Africa.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he really was the one who had "discomfort" about Meghan being around the Firm.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
He should have talked about the whole world, we as a species should aim to be way less numerous.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Global Overpopulation is an issue (not just Africa), but these kind of things can be fixed with a targeted effort at improving sex education and helping people out of poverty… Issue is, the Royal family would be the last group of people to give a fuck about equality and they are the leaders of the winger waggling brigade, where they tell you to do something but don't help you to do it.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
The amount of resources used by a kid born in Britain especially rich kids like him, is fucking gargantuan compared to the average African.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Large Population or Population Growth is the boogeyman for those who subscribed to Imperialist mentality.

It's the same with climate change, they'll put the blame on others despite historical emissions saying otherwise.

Ultimately, they do not value the lives of these people in developing countries.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Isn't overpopulation just a dogwhistle to blame racialized groups for climate change, wildlife loss, etc when the real culprits are rich countries?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the incestuous royals should stop breeding instead

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
He was also whining about space exploration stealing attention and resources from his pet environmental causes
I can't stand people who advocate for navel gazing.
He sounds like a jerk eco fascist
The next logical step for a lot of these people is genocide

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
This guy and his unborn 3rd child prolly consumes more than a family of 5 anywhere in Africa.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well habitat loss is an obvious problem and will continue to get worse before it gets better in Africa in no small part due to continued economic and population growth, you have to be an incredibly dense and shitty person to bring that up in that context.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While the Royals fucking suck, it's not limited to them. Tons of whites really do this overpopulation (especially of minorities) is an issue we're "going to have to face sooner or later."

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Of course its a problem when Africa starts to grow in population. Never mind a single Africans carbon footprint is probably eclipsed 10 fold by a single Europeans.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to hear anything out of this privileged fuck's facehole unless it's saying he'll immediately abdicate, dissolve any claim to royalty, and donate all his ill-gotten wealth to charity.

He may be one of the worst people on the planet you could find to comment on issues in Africa.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a little unclear on the responses in this thread. Is the consensus that yes, he's right, but given his family history he shouldn't be talking about it? Even the link Diipu posted seemed to agree, and just added other considerations (carbon footprint, density, etc.)
No it's more someone from a country that wiped out large portions of their animal and plant diversity and is doing exactly zero to revert that in comparisons countries who per population haven't done anywhere near as much. It's farce.