• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The stuff that´s happening now is what may give PP, Cs and Vox more votes in November. Those thrive on opposition, they need an enemy of the state to play the "defenders of the nation" role and without ETA they had lost it. Now they´ve been gifted new wings. Just pray that these 3 can´t sum enough votes for a majority or we´re all going to get fucked with the crisis that´s coming.
Really fucking depressing.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Yep, just as the heavy handed police violence to break up the referendum was always going to.

I hoped that with the PP no longer in government there would be a reasonable attempt at communication and compromise to try and improve things.
My guess is you haven't been in many demonstrations yourself. I've had the opportunity of being first hand in riots (cadiz, bizkaia, asturian mines) and when things heat up, violence always pop. It is unfortunate, but Trapero himself said it'd incite violence.
To be fair with Sanchez, it's hard to talk with someone whose only proposal was "we are leaving, let's discuss who pays". And if you had to name, who would speak for catalonia, since, as a previous poster helpfully clarified, Torra is not the leader even if he is the one "democratically" chosen?

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
Spanish law gave Catalonia exclusive competence in education, law-keeping, health care, prisons...if you feel catalan language is being maligned, that's on catalan government...unfair economic competition? Regional taxes vary depending exclusively on regional government, irpf, societal, etc are the same in the whole country. Autharitarian, coming from a government that paid a ngo to note the language in which kids spoke during recess and had no qualms pointing at law enforcement's children at school, is laughable...
Unfair law? More specifically which? Because ir was erc the one that designed a constitution with no separation of powers, meaning judges responded to government officials...that would have been tiranny, of the "pretty fucking real" variety.
Catalonia might be independent some day, but it can't pretend to get there silencing opposition and ignoring basical democratic principles.
To give you some credit, I do agree we could use more financiation. But let's be real here, the main reason are feelings of superiority from most independentists.
You talk about transition, that time not so long ago that we moved from a facist dictatorship to democracy like magic.
What Catalonia could get there was, much less that had before the dictatorship. Catalan language is not only spoken in catalonia, spanish goverment doesn't help these minor languages more than regional tv segments. And it's kind of sad to be losing so many languages that spain actually has just because the regions don't have the money to pay the costs of maintain the language. Unfair economic competition like helping foreing big companies to move the headquarter to spanish regions. Authoritarian from central goverment because the justice and politics go in hand if you are in the correct side of being an unionist.
Unfair law like interpretations of the constitution, also aproved by ERC by a time that the other option was to go back to dictatorship, that can bring peaceful protesters leaders (this time is right to say) like the Jordis to jail for 9 years.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Catalans feel hated and unappreciated, the behaviour of the Spanish state (and many Spaniards) have justified all their paranoia, no idea how this can be repaired.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a long and complicated issue that goes back centuries. It cannot be summarised in any way that it would do it justice, but basically many Catalans do not identify as Spanish. From that starting point we can mention many other issues that derive from there, but it's a long and complex story overall.

I'd recommend reading the English Wikipedia articles about Catalan nationalism, the Renaixença and the Spanish civil war.

You sound completely paranoid in every thread we have about this issue. The quote you included has no reference whatsoever to ethnicity or to ethno-nationalism, so I don't know how you're getting that conclusion from what he said.

Mainstream Catalan nationalism is not ethnic in nature, just like Basque nationalism isn't either. Both were in the 19th century, but guess what, all nationalisms started that way, but evolved as society changed.

Saying "peoples" is no different from saying "nation". They're refering to the Catalan nation.
As a basque myself, I do think that both Catalan and Basque nationalisms and will of independence have a strong component of feeling superior to the rest. We have industry, the best education, we are hard-workers, noble, trustworthy....in comparison to those in the south who are illiterate, work on the fields or on tourism and are partying all day long (please don´t take this seriously). This is something no basque or catalan will admit publicly, but that may slip within his/her inner circles.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
My guess is you haven't been in many demonstrations yourself. I've had the opportunity of being first hand in riots (cadiz, bizkaia, asturian mines) and when things heat up, violence always pop. It is unfortunate, but Trapero himself said it'd incite violence.
To be fair with Sanchez, it's hard to talk with someone whose only proposal was "we are leaving, let's discuss who pays". And if you had to name, who would speak for catalonia, since, as a previous poster helpfully clarified, Torra is not the leader even if he is the one "democratically" chosen?
All the PP had to do was say, "have your stupid referendum, we won't recognise it.", it would probably have resulted in a "no" vote according to polls. Clips of Madrileños singing "a por ellos" as police left to beat up pensioners opened a can of worms (to say the least).

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the PP had to do was say, "have your stupid referendum, we won't recognise it.", it would probably have resulted in a "no" vote according to polls. Clips of Madrileños singing "a por ellos" as police left to beat up pensioners opened a can of worms (to say the least).

🤔

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think who should decide the independence are the catalans (without the rest of spain), but spain will never accept that, as spain didnt accepted the independence of its colonies in the past... I dont see a pacific independence happening, spain does not seem to give the catalans the opportunity to do that democratically and peacefully, and the international community doesnt seems to care about the catalans independence...
so i think the only way would be by force and i dont see that happening, what's likely to happen is spain to use its force to subjugate and arrest the separatists.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
You talk about transition, that time not so long ago that we moved from a facist dictatorship to democracy like magic.
What Catalonia could get there was, much less that had before the dictatorship. Catalan language is not only spoken in catalonia, spanish goverment doesn't help these minor languages more than regional tv segments. And it's kind of sad to be losing so many languages that spain actually has just because the regions don't have the money to pay the costs of maintain the language. Unfair economic competition like helping foreing big companies to move the headquarter to spanish regions. Authoritarian from central goverment because the justice and politics go in hand if you are in the correct side of being an unionist.
Unfair law like interpretations of the constitution, also aproved by ERC by a time that the other option was to go back to dictatorship, that can bring peaceful protesters leaders (this time is right to say) like the Jordis to jail for 9 years.
You didn't read what I said:
- foreign investment goes through economy councelry, which proposes in a case by case, and can only vary in the regional irpf (up to 10%, minimum of 3).
- there are many languages in spain, most have their official agency to document and promote, but some (gomeran silbo, occitanian, bable) are by geographical distribution not that extended. Would you teach all of tjose at school? And again, the autonomies have ABSOLUTE power to promote the languages, and the money to do so, ask them whu they don't.
- the nebulous central government, I assume you mean PP government, has several former ministers jailed for corruption. Catalan government liberated oriol pujol after TWO months, despite being condemned (by catalan courts) for tax evasion, corruption and criminal organization,
- the constitution I refered to was refacted by ex-erc senator Vidal, in 2017, not in 1977 with the threat of militar insurrection.
- The condemned were condemned for disobeying the supreme court, constitutional court, catalonian court and parliament of catalonia's lawyers up to 5 times. And for using public money for an illicit act. And for inciting an uprising. Not for demonstration. All of those acts were proudly broadcasted, as their trial was, just to avoid doubts.

If you feel for some reason badly treated, that can be discussedand hopefully solved. But what you said was inaccurate or simply incorrect.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
When the law is not fair it's fair to break it.
Or like..
How can a democracy not accept a referendum if a referendum is to apply democracy?

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Meanwhile, the regional president Torra blames the violence on "provokers and infiltrators" that want to give the independence movement a bad name.
It certainly doesn't help when you have a regional government that is way past caring about representing the citizenry, instead having put the whole weight of the institutions behind the ideology of their voters, the only people they consider "true" Catalans.

It's truly Orwellian when the regional government is actively promoting and participating in protests at the same time they have the police beat the more radical protesters, and then accuse those protesters of being "inflitrators" (I assume fake Catalans, or Spaniards) who are there to give the "movement" a bad name.

You talk about Spanish Policia Nacional dressed as protestors in order to stir trouble as some sort of paranoia when it's a fact they are there.

Here you have them arresting a girl.

https://twitter.com/Cazatalentos/status/1184953742602452992?s=20

Here exiting the police van.

Now that's Orwellian isn't it.

And that's for the police beating "the most radical protesters". Trully proportionate stuff.

https://twitter.com/Cazatalentos/status/1185297270436175879?s=20

or this other one

Look at this radical guy sitting down! Surely he deserved a bit of a beating https://twitter.com/Gerrrty/status/1185244638367682560

Links could go on an on. Repulsive stuff and repulsive people trivialising it.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
i think who should decide the independence are the catalans (without the rest of spain), but spain will never accept that, as spain didnt accepted the independence of its colonies in the past... I dont see a pacific independence happening, spain does not seem to give the catalans the opportunity to do that democratically and peacefully, and the international community doesnt seems to care about the catalans independence...
so i think the only way would be by force and i dont see that happening, what's likely to happen is spain to use its force to subjugate and arrest the separatists.
It could happen via constitutional change to allow it. Then, that proposal of change would be voted in the whole country, and should have little problem being passed. But the thing is, egos are so inflamed that only the "total defeat" is a valid result and no one gives a fuck about even trying honestly.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
When the law is not fair it's fair to break it.
Or like..
How can a democracy not accept a referendum if a referendum is to apply democracy?
While I wholeheartedly agree with your "I'll obey just the laws I like" idea, it's hard to project an idea of justice and equality when you comply only when you feel like it.
If you are truely interested in the subject, I'd recommend you the book "Identity" by fukuyama.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
You didn't read what I said:
- foreign investment goes through economy councelry, which proposes in a case by case, and can only vary in the regional irpf (up to 10%, minimum of 3).
- there are many languages in spain, most have their official agency to document and promote, but some (gomeran silbo, occitanian, bable) are by geographical distribution not that extended. Would you teach all of tjose at school? And again, the autonomies have ABSOLUTE power to promote the languages, and the money to do so, ask them whu they don't.
- the nebulous central government, I assume you mean PP government, has several former ministers jailed for corruption. Catalan government liberated oriol pujol after TWO months, despite being condemned (by catalan courts) for tax evasion, corruption and criminal organization,
- the constitution I refered to was refacted by ex-erc senator Vidal, in 2017, not in 1977 with the threat of militar insurrection.
- The condemned were condemned for disobeying the supreme court, constitutional court, catalonian court and parliament of catalonia's lawyers up to 5 times. And for using public money for an illicit act. And for inciting an uprising. Not for demonstration. All of those acts were proudly broadcasted, as their trial was, just to avoid doubts.

If you feel for some reason badly treated, that can be discussedand hopefully solved. But what you said was inaccurate or simply incorrect.
-Moving headquarters has nothing to do about percentages.
-Yes I think spanish government should promote these languages. Because saying autonomies can control some competences like languages and then don't give them the enought money to maintain them is the same as not having the competences.
-No, I don't want to targed a single party, there's an stablishment that still is drinking from dictatorship mentality that is rulling this country. Catalan parties like Convergencia did algo very wrong, true. When that happened the party had to dissolve. But it's true that is you are closer to Madrid, and you find a notebook that appears the name "M.Rajoy" no judge will know who this people will be.
-Oh I get it now, I went lost in translation, sorry about that. So that constitution that nobody care about and nobody taked as a serious thing, sure.
-Yup, that's exactly what the judges said, but what happened is some people who demostrated peacefully and asked the protesters to go to their homes. If that is to call for an uprising we aren't in the same reality.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
While I wholeheartedly agree with your "I'll obey just the laws I like" idea, it's hard to project an idea of justice and equality when you comply only when you feel like it.
If you are truely interested in the subject, I'd recommend you the book "Identity" by fukuyama.
You don't need to be that selfrighteous to consider what is "fair".
Just follow the human rights, I think that's a pretty good manual.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
-Moving headquarters has nothing to do about percentages.
-Yes I think spanish government should promote these languages. Because saying autonomies can control some competences like languages and then don't give them the enought money to maintain them is the same as not having the competences.
-No, I don't want to targed a single party, there's an stablishment that still is drinking from dictatorship mentality that is rulling this country. Catalan parties like Convergencia did algo very wrong, true. When that happened the party had to dissolve. But it's true that is you are closer to Madrid, and you find a notebook that appears the name "M.Rajoy" no judge will know who this people will be.
-Oh I get it now, I went lost in translation, sorry about that. So that constitution that nobody care about and nobody taked as a serious thing, sure.
-Yup, that's exactly what the judges said, but what happened is some people who demostrated peacefully and asked the protesters to go to their homes. If that is to call for an uprising we aren't in the same reality.
You´re saying that you need more money to promote the use of the language, but a few lines after that you´re completely disregarding the use of public money for something illegal as has been sentenced in the trial and is completely out of all doubt. So what´s with that? I´m pro-referendum (not the same as being pro-independence) but I can´t stand how people allow their politics to do as they please with public money and then forgive everything because "independence".

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
At least post what they were doing before that because then you are trying to manipulate. For the video quoted, here you have the complete one:

Peaceful people.

lol everything is manipulation to the Spanish eye. So your first reaction seeing these is well, they must have done something deserving of this. That says a lot of the Spanish public opinion.

Gonna just leave a couple more because they just keep coming. Surely deserved well done to our police.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol everything is manipulation to the Spanish eye. So your first reaction seeing these is well, they must have done something deserving of this. That says a lot of the Spanish public opinion.

Gonna just leave a couple more because they just keep coming. Surely deserved well done to our police.

People of peace

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quoting your own post....

Fuck the violence but also I don't see why they shouldn't have a independence vote
My bad I was trying to edit my original post lol

Also they shouldn't have the independence because they are part of the Spanish state and more than half of the Catalans are against it.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoever thinks that all protestants are immaculate beings of light that haven´t done anything wrong is just lying to himself. Same with those who think that the police won´t go overboard in the use of force needlessly a lot of times. There are also fascists who only look to stir up violence, infiltrated (some from the police, some from outside of Spain) adding to the mix. I guess that what I´m trying to say is that if you think that your side is all made of good innocent people and the opposition are all villains then you´re just dumb, to put it lightly. There are rotten apples everywhere and they don´t represent any group.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017

Yes this guy is an individual citizen and represents himself only, and was already arrested. If we are talking people I could post the Neonazis attacking people yesterday with the police doing nothing or the Spanish nationalists this morning in Badalona throwing stones at independentist demonstrators. But I will not blame Spanish unionists in general for it. So do you really want to start a competition on that because I don't see you winning even on that front.

Now my posts are showing violence by the police, which represents the Spanish state. Let's see what happens to these policemen, most of them with their ID known btw. Spolier alert: As always, nothing.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
You´re saying that you need more money to promote the use of the language, but a few lines after that you´re completely disregarding the use of public money for something illegal as has been sentenced in the trial and is completely out of all doubt. So what´s with that? I´m pro-referendum (not the same as being pro-independence) but I can´t stand how people allow their politics to do as they please with public money and then forgive everything because "independence".
I'm sorry for my ineptitude to understand your sentence, I do defend public money to be used to promote minor languages and I think that organizing a referendum, even one that the spanish government says is ilegal, should be used with public money. Sorry if that is not what you trying to say to me.

And for the links, let's do this,
Police charging to peaceful protesters: https://www.reddit.com/r/catalunya/comments/djtran/la_policia_nacional_càrrega_contra_manifestant/
Amnesty International: https://www.ccma.cat/324/amnistia-i...a-forca-policial-a-catalunya/noticia/2956624/
Tear gas from roofs: https://www.reddit.com/r/catalunya/comments/djtnfd/la_policia_nacional_està_llençant_gasos_des_dels/
Police violence without reason: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/vi...ltracta-humilia-independentista-via-laietana/
Peaceful proindependence protester hitter by bat: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/ag...bol-un-manifestant-a-sant-feliu-de-llobregat/
Catalan police being very friendly with far-right movements: https://www.naciodigital.cat/notici...3UaTBs1PIXo2vi-jEiABPIg#.Xai8aa7DonI.facebook
Spanish unionists throwing rocks to peaceful pro-independence protesters: https://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/n...s-de-la-marxa-per-la-llibertat/video/5940966/

And I have more... This is just a sample of what happened today and yesterday.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Catalan independence referendum only in Cataluña it's illegal. I'm not backtracking anything.
I can´t understand why if you say that more than half of Catalans are against independence you won´t let them have a vote on their own. It´s easy to change the law and allow it, just see how easy the constitution was changed to ask for money for the banks. Allowing only the catalans to vote and having that referendum end with a 55% vote against independence would be the best thing to placate the indepedents and have Cataluña remain.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can´t understand why if you say that more than half of Catalans are against independence you won´t let them have a vote on their own. It´s easy to change the law and allow it, just see how easy the constitution was changed to ask for money for the banks. Allowing only the catalans to vote and having that referendum end with a 55% vote against independence would be the best thing to placate the indepedents and have Cataluña remain.
We shouldn't change the law by the pressure of separatists totalitarian movements. It creates a bad precedent for our society.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry for my ineptitude to understand your sentence, I do defend public money to be used to promote minor languages and I think that organizing a referendum, even one that the spanish government says is ilegal, should be used with public money. Sorry if that is not what you trying to say to me.

And for the links, let's do this,
Police charging to peaceful protesters: https://www.reddit.com/r/catalunya/comments/djtran/la_policia_nacional_càrrega_contra_manifestant/
Amnesty International: https://www.ccma.cat/324/amnistia-i...a-forca-policial-a-catalunya/noticia/2956624/
Tear gas from roofs: https://www.reddit.com/r/catalunya/comments/djtnfd/la_policia_nacional_està_llençant_gasos_des_dels/
Police violence without reason: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/vi...ltracta-humilia-independentista-via-laietana/
Peaceful proindependence protester hitter by bat: https://www.vilaweb.cat/noticies/ag...bol-un-manifestant-a-sant-feliu-de-llobregat/
Catalan police being very friendly with far-right movements: https://www.naciodigital.cat/notici...3UaTBs1PIXo2vi-jEiABPIg#.Xai8aa7DonI.facebook
Spanish unionists throwing rocks to peaceful pro-independence protesters: https://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/n...s-de-la-marxa-per-la-llibertat/video/5940966/

And I have more... This is just a sample of what happened today and yesterday.
OK, so you´re saying that it´s OK for politics to use public money for something that´s illegal as long as it´s something that you like? Even when they´ve been notified repeteadly that what they´re doing is illegal? Even when there are no records that the majhority of the population may approve of that dispense? Even when that means that that money won´t be available to be used to help the language grow? Do you realize the many contradictions you´re defending only because it suits you?

You´re using those links to make a generalization. Should I use what we´ve all seen tonight (and yesterday, and the night before) to generalize that the protesters are all in fact violent people? I´ve seen them taking the tiles from the floor and throwing them at the police, setting trash dumpsters on fire and many more things. And not 1, 2 or 10 people, there were hundreds of people involved. What I´m trying to say is: don´t be stupid, don´t generalize, it´s easy and dumb to do so.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
It says at least they haven't been blocked yet unlike other websites that already had to migrate to .eu and people are having to resort to VPNs to bypass Spanish censorship. Like a little sad China.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We shouldn't change the law by the pressure of separatists totalitarian movements. It creates a bad precedent for our society.
Wy not? Laws should be adapted to serve society as society changes, it happens all the time. That´s what the congress is for. If you have a region where close to half it´s population wants to leave we should so something about it, right? What do you propose?

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It says at least they haven't been blocked yet unlike other websites that already had to migrate to .eu and people are having to resort to VPNs to bypass Spanish censorship. Like a little sad China.

Sites that were inciting to violence and urban organised warfare.