• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Hey, just discovered this thread, amazing!

Yesterday I started listening again to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day and, once again, I'm hooked and listening to it on repeat non stop. Anybody else a fan?

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Amenra yesterday, and they fucking ripped. People were convulsing their entire bodies to the rhythm. The people around me were pulling their hair and crying. It was fucking beautiful.

The second opening band also blew my mind:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Bit late, but Leprous released a new album on the 25th and it's pretty good imo, bit of a departure from their previous ones but it works

Spotify link here

It really hit me quickly. Love everything they've done, and this one's pretty different but still retains their primary DNA.

Might end up as my 2nd favorite of the year (Devin Townsend's Empath ain't gonna be beat)

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I was very saddened to hear the singer of Cardiacs Tim Smith passed away.

I've been downright obsessed with them since discovering their music 8ish years ago.

They are a kind of prog/punk/pop fusion band that will sear your mind. Wild time signature and chord changed and maniacal energy in spades. Nothing else comes close. Listen to the album Sing To God and join in the celebration of one of the all time greats!

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I've been downright obsessed with them since discovering their music 8ish years ago.

They are a kind of prog/punk/pop fusion band that will sear your mind. Wild time signature and chord changed and maniacal energy in spades. Nothing else comes close. Listen to the album Sing To God and join in the celebration of one of the all time greats!
I had never heard of them until his passing. Mike Patton said they were a major influence for him, and especially Mr Bungle. I've been meaning to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm listening to it now and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was the other way around.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I had never heard of them until his passing. Mike Patton said they were a major influence for him, and especially Mr Bungle. I've been meaning to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm listening to it now and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was the other way around.

Oh yeah Bungle wears the influence on their sleeve straight up haha. Most people bounce of Cardiacs, but once you're hooked it's hard to stop.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Wow thank you for bringing this band to my attention, can't believe i never listened to them before, they're amazing!

And yeah, always thought Mr Bungle were 100% original but listening to the cardiacs now i se that they went to their well quite a few times lol

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey this thread is alive!

So, I keep hearing Wobbler is recording a new album and it'll be out by the end of the year...fingers crossed.

OP
OP
jambo

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see this thread alive again

I've been listening to a tonne of stuff over the past 12-18 motnhs, mainly thanks to Doom Charts.

doomcharts.com

Doom Charts

A one-stop shop for the best new heavy albums in the world...

Jarlaxle

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. I once randomly stumbled upon Calm Black Water and was pleasantly surprised. Gave this one a quick listen and ended up giving em that $6.66 on Bandcamp.
Yeah, I've liked what I heard in the past but felt they took a step up on this record. The saxophone really adds a lot to some of the songs and I found myself really enjoying it.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I discovered REZN a couple years ago. I thought they had something then and am quite pleased with how they've evolved in the latest record. Hope more people take notice. Cool band.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
A friend of mine just put this out. It's got some tasty riffage if anyone's looking for metal/sludge type stuff. Little dashes of prog and psych in there too.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My best friend's old bass player is in this band, Squawk. This video, as of right now, has 2 views, one of which was mine. It's WAY too good for that. If you like prog, this is pretty damned good. I'm getting some ability-jealousy and I'm pretty damned good at guitar.

Oct 25, 2017
My best friend's old bass player is in this band, Squawk. This video, as of right now, has 2 views, one of which was mine. It's WAY too good for that. If you like prog, this is pretty damned good. I'm getting some ability-jealousy and I'm pretty damned good at guitar.

Getting some Rush and Spock's Beard vibes from this! Thanks for posting it in here!