• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a talented coder but I can put together some simple python scripts that save me hours of effort. Love python.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that there's multiple ways to set up Docker on Windows. Not all of them allow the images themselves to be Windows based.
Yeah, good to know!

In other news... I was bored this afternoon so I decided to code a little program that will reside in my Tray and will basically paste the Shrug Emoji (¯\_(ツ)_/¯) anytime I do a specific key combo on the keyboard (even if the app is minimized and not active). Doing it as a way to familiarize myself more with C# since I'm mostly a Java/Groovy guy.

I got almost everything working except for the

SendKeys.SendWait("insert String here");

Reading the docs it says that it might not work if you don't use a "standard" keyboard layout...whatever that means exactly. I'm using a French Canadian keyboard which is just a standard US QWERTY keyboard but with some stuff added to it. The basic keys/test shouldn't be any different. Not sure if this is really the issue tho. I have also tried by setting my keyboard to US English but still no luck.

Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm trying to learn Git and use GitHub since it seems that it's one of the first things someone needs to learn if they wish to become any kind of developer. Also because I'm interested in seeing other people's code and help.

Well, I've learned some of the basic commands and their concepts like commit, push, clone, and pull.

But I'm having a hard time to understand GitHub and how to use it if I want to see someone's code and maybe improve it with something.

So basically, what I've been doing is going to "pull requests" (which I quite don't understand yet what the pull request means, is it someone requesting to update someone's else repository? Is someone requesting someone else to do some work?) and seeing what I found there, I found a simple HTML structure repository (https://github.com/asifGsanjary/cvtemplate.git) and I found that I could contribute with my limited knowledgement by making the code easier to understand using identations, but then I don't understand how I can help this person, like, I cloned the repository to my computer, made the changes, now what? I found this resource but is this how I should work with an anonymous person? Since this resource mentions a friend, not someone you don't even know.

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm just now trying to understand Git and how to use it.

My understading of Git is weird, like, I understand the principles but I don't understand how it's structured, I dunno, I could've asked this at Web Design OT but since it's dealing with Git I guess it could fit here aswell.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm trying to learn Git and use GitHub since it seems that it's one of the first things someone needs to learn if they wish to become any kind of developer. Also because I'm interested in seeing other people's code and help.

Well, I've learned some of the basic commands and their concepts like commit, push, clone, and pull.

But I'm having a hard time to understand GitHub and how to use it if I want to see someone's code and maybe improve it with something.

So basically, what I've been doing is going to "pull requests" (which I quite don't understand yet what the pull request means, is it someone requesting to update someone's else repository? Is someone requesting someone else to do some work?) and seeing what I found there, I found a simple HTML structure repository (https://github.com/asifGsanjary/cvtemplate.git) and I found that I could contribute with my limited knowledgement by making the code easier to understand using identations, but then I don't understand how I can help this person, like, I cloned the repository to my computer, made the changes, now what? I found this resource but is this how I should work with an anonymous person? Since this resource mentions a friend, not someone you don't even know.

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm just now trying to understand Git and how to use it.

My understading of Git is weird, like, I understand the principles but I don't understand how it's structured, I dunno, I could've asked this at Web Design OT but since it's dealing with Git I guess it could fit here aswell.
So, various projects have their own variations on this process depending on how they're managed, but the basic flow for a Github repo you don't have push access to is this:
  1. You fork the repo, which basically gives you a copy of it.
  2. Clone your fork. If you already cloned the main one you can either add a new remote pointing at your fork, or just re-point your origin (the default remote that usually gets created when you run a clone) at your fork. You can do the latter by running
    Code:
    git remote set-url origin <url for your fork>
  3. Make whatever commits you want on your clone and push them to your fork.
  4. Open a Pull Request from your fork to the repo you forked from. This is basically requesting that the upstream repo pull the commits from your fork up into their repo.
  5. Respond to any feedback on your Pull Request. PRs sort of double as code reviews. You may have to push new commits to address this feedback. Newly pushed commits to the branch the PR is based on will automatically get added.
  6. Ultimately you're at the mercy of the people who have write access to the upstream repo in terms of the final outcome. Typically either your PR will be eventually accepted, rejected, or it may never garner any attention at all and just sit there forever.
If you have push access, then you can just use branches instead of making your own fork.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I have a small c++ project that I want to compile and test on linux(i am running win 10 on this machine). The project involves some lightweight opengl rendering so I need decent gpu support.
I tried running a vm using hyper v and while it worked, it was laggy and slow(i have an i7700 so cpu is not an issue), installing various virtualization packages did not help.
What are my options? I prefer something that is quick and clean to setup.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a small c++ project that I want to compile and test on linux(i am running win 10 on this machine). The project involves some lightweight opengl rendering so I need decent gpu support.
I tried running a vm using hyper v and while it worked, it was laggy and slow(i have an i7700 so cpu is not an issue), installing various virtualization packages did not help.
What are my options? I prefer something that is quick and clean to setup.

Maybe WSL? https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/637

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, after messing around a bit with some web related stuff (HTML, CSS, PHP etc) I kinda don't want to make my career in web. As in, I don't find fulfilling messing around with front-end and back-end stuff. Since this OT is more leaned to Programming only, I guess it's better talking with you guys.

I find myself heavily leaned into Softwares and messing around with Apps, even games. I'm currently enrolled in Computer Information Systems and we learn both the Web part as also the programming part (so far only Java). I really like what goes behind softwares and I want to specialize on it. What tips can you guys give for someone who has good standard programming logic, is learning OO programming in Java, who wants to specialize in Softwares.

Like, which languages should I learn. Which stuff should I be made aware of, what should I rely upon, which resources are good, etc. Should I learn Linux? My main knowledge right now are basic Java syntax and some Python. I really don't have any knowledge outside of Windows OS.

I find it cool but I don't want my professional career to be working on front-end and back-end structures in websites, I don't find it appealing at all.

Nov 1, 2017
Learning even a little basic Linux is never going to hurt you professionally and it'll be a big asset to you. Python and Java are a good start, but I'd also look into at least a little SQL for working with databases.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Knowing a few basic Linux commands goes a long way. You don't need to dive too deep to do a lot of powerful stuff.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
So now I'm updating windows to 1803 from 1703 so that I can install ubuntu for windows(WSL). Hope to god I won't regret this.

edit: just reading through the changes I'm starting to regret my decision.

Last edited:

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi there!

I wonder if anyone could give me any pointers on Behaviour Driven Development, specifically using Gherkin but with C#.NET / WPF applications.

Ideally the project should be cost-neutral outside of Microsoft technologies, and whilst SpecFlow looks beautiful (and potentially Appium), there are associated license costs for professional deployment.

I'm wondering if there is a way to automate and map Gherkin-type tests using something that isn't licensed. Is there a way? Or do I just need to convince for spends.

Cheers!

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the best resources on youtube for tech talk that is related to programming? Like podcasts about languages and/or news about new features Linux like like the above poster said

I'm interested in my free time to hear about these tech talks because honestly only reading articles is not doing it for me.

I mean channels like TechLead for example (this is probably not a good example, I dont't know if this channel is good, but it tries to bring a lot of general information in the Programming area and the industry, this is what I'm interested)

Last edited:

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Throwing in a question in case anyone has experience in multiplatform development.

For a hobby project I want to develop an app that will work both on Windows and Android. It's mostly UI, which is going to be of, let's say, medium complexity (complete custom styling, lots of information on the screen changing rapidly). No need to adhere to the UI design standards of Google or Microsoft.

It's already in my capability to make a native app for either of the two platforms that does what I want, but since I want this to be a learning experience AND an exercise in cross-platform development, I'm wondering:
Can anyone here recommend a cross-platform development environment that is reasonably stable, understandable and community-supported for my purposes?

I've obviously googled for opinions on stuff like Xamarin, React Native and such, but it doesn't hurt to ask here.

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing in a question in case anyone has experience in multiplatform development.

For a hobby project I want to develop an app that will work both on Windows and Android. It's mostly UI, which is going to be of, let's say, medium complexity (complete custom styling, lots of information on the screen changing rapidly). No need to adhere to the UI design standards of Google or Microsoft.

It's already in my capability to make a native app for either of the two platforms that does what I want, but since I want this to be a learning experience AND an exercise in cross-platform development, I'm wondering:
Can anyone here recommend a cross-platform development environment that is reasonably stable, understandable and community-supported for my purposes?

I've obviously googled for opinions on stuff like Xamarin, React Native and such, but it doesn't hurt to ask here.

Web App. If you need something specific like file i/o that just can't be supported then Electron.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Web App. If you need something specific like file i/o that just can't be supported then Electron.
Oh I won't need file access or access to any of the hardware. Just receiving UDP network packets and displaying information based on that.
If I choose a web-based solution, the big question would be the underlying network layer that transmits the information to the web view. I'd like to avoid having to run a webserver for this. I assume on Electron, the underlying node.js server would be handling network traffic?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... random noob question. I'm in my HTML/CSS/PHP/JS university class right now and my teacher is using VIM...... Yeah I've often heard about VIM (I even played a bit of VIM Adventure lol) so yeah... It's kinda impressive to watch a vim pro using it.

Anyway... Here's my question. I saw him do stuff to super quickly insert a bunch of HTML tags...

Basically he wrote

HTML:
div label input

Then he pressed something and VIM just created all the open and close tags automatically. Is that something only possible in VIM? If not how is that feature called? Right now I'm not even sure what to search for to see if I can use that in my own editor (I'm in VS Code right now).

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... random noob question. I'm in my HTML/CSS/PHP/JS university class right now and my teacher is using VIM...... Yeah I've often heard about VIM (I even played a bit of VIM Adventure lol) so yeah... It's kinda impressive to watch a vim pro using it.

Anyway... Here's my question. I saw him do stuff to super quickly insert a bunch of HTML tags...

Basically he wrote

HTML:
div label input

Then he pressed something and VIM just created all the open and close tags automatically. Is that something only possible in VIM? If not how is that feature called? Right now I'm not even sure what to search for to see if I can use that in my own editor (I'm in VS Code right now).

https://emmet.io

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here know how to code or use something like Game Maker Studio or Unity?

Anyone interested in making a proof-of-concept pinball version of Nex Machina?

I can't code but I am a designer, graphic artist and music composer. I have a ton of ideas. I just need someone to script it and I'll handle the rest.

If not, please link me to threads or other communities where I can find people

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone suggest to me a good, quick intro to SQL?

My DB knowledge is stuck in the 1980s and the last DB I had my hands on in anger was IMS/DB which is not exactly state-of-the-art these days. I'd prefer it not to be in video form, as I hate watching videos. I'll be using SQLite with Python.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Ah, unit testing...

Imagine the following fake code.

function foo() {
something = calculateSomething()
object = new LibraryObject(something)
object.setBar(5);
return object;
}

I want to unit test this. The LibraryObject cannot have that 'something' passed in later, it's immutable once the object is constructed. It's critical for how LibraryObjects function. Its value is also private.

I need to make sure that my code:

1. Sets up the LibraryObject correctly
2. Sets that setBar correctly

Oh, and foo() is actually overwriting an object with the same signature in its parent class.

-> can't make a static builder function as it's not testable
-> can't inject the LibraryObject as an arg because that changes the signature AND it's instantiated after deriving a something from a calculateSomething() function called inside the method

My assumption is that the entire class this foo() function is built around would need rewriting to make it testable, because this is a total non-starter. But of course this is trivial to write in JS...

No, I'm not using a DI framework, yes, there is a requirement to test this.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
How would you test it if `foo()` was an opaque function, as in, you didn't know its implementation? Your explanation looks like you are trying to test the explicit implementation of foo instead of trying to test the logic.

In this case, you could
- check that the returned object is an instance of a LibraryObject.
- check that the expected properties resulting from injecting the something value into LibraryObject are set
- check that getBar returns the value.

You can also:
- split foo into multiple functions, conveniently test them with unit tests and run a semi-integration test for the whole of foo.
- redirect the implementation of foo to a new class, which you can design from the ground up to be testable.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since most of you seem experienced and know your shit, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I've been offered a mobile internship for the summer, with the choice of either working with their ios or android team. I've got a decent basic understanding of android with a couple of published apps under my belt and about a semester's experience with swift for MacOs. I've enjoyed both equally.

Because I'm so inexperienced, and this will be the only internship I get before finishing college I feel like this decision will effectively decide which kind of developer I end up being (at least to begin with). Is there a better choice in this situation? I've heard there are more ios jobs, and android developers are less sought after because there are loads of people with java enterprise experience willing to make the switch.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017

Just get Github desktop, its easier than remembering all the commands

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Since most of you seem experienced and know your shit, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I've been offered a mobile internship for the summer, with the choice of either working with their ios or android team. I've got a decent basic understanding of android with a couple of published apps under my belt and about a semester's experience with swift for MacOs. I've enjoyed both equally.

Because I'm so inexperienced, and this will be the only internship I get before finishing college I feel like this decision will effectively decide which kind of developer I end up being (at least to begin with). Is there a better choice in this situation? I've heard there are more ios jobs, and android developers are less sought after because there are loads of people with java enterprise experience willing to make the switch.
Android will be more saturated since you're going against Java and Kotlin developers. Swift is (relatively) new and is less crowded. I don't know if one is a better choice over the other - I think either one is good to get into. If you're doing Android, I would start learning some Kotlin too. It should be pretty easy to pick up if you're well-versed in Swift.

Also, if you have Android apps published, I think you can pursue a Junior Developer position pretty easily. Knowing the practices to get an app successfully published is huge.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I feel more and more inclined to start some free-lance or pivot to a start-up. I always wanted to work in that type of atmosphere but haven't had the opportunity. I feel like I am not aligning myself properly with the technologies that I would like to work in. The problem is, I am by far the youngest person on my team and everyone else is invested in technologies that..are pretty dated and not necessarily the ones I would recommend people get into now.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
My company uses Google Plus for its Beta testing community. Anyone know how other companies doing that are moving their communities?

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys,

So Ive just started a computer science course at my university and I have this assignment that I cant figure out how to even start. Basically I have to import this map.gif file in python, draw longitude and latitude lines on it and then map the movement of a hurricane on the map.

The problem is I have no idea how to import that map.gif image into python. This is what the description of the assignment says:

Your program should begin by resizing the graphics window so that it is the same size as the map (1022 pixels wide and 620 pixels high). Then the map should be displayed. This can be accomplished using the loadImage and drawImage functions. The loadImage function takes the name of the file to load (a string) as its only argument and returns an image as its result. This image can be drawn by passing it as the first argument to drawImage. The drawImage function also requires the x and y location where the image should be drawn as its second and third arguments.

Any help would be appreciated.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys,

So Ive just started a computer science course at my university and I have this assignment that I cant figure out how to even start. Basically I have to import this map.gif file in python, draw longitude and latitude lines on it and then map the movement of a hurricane on the map.

The problem is I have no idea how to import that map.gif image into python. This is what the description of the assignment says:

Any help would be appreciated.

That will depend on what package you are using for handling the display - it'll be something like tkinter, or opencv, or pyqt, or pyside etc etc. In tkinter for example you'd probably be using a 'canvas' object.

So step 1 is find out what you are using, and step 2 is to find the documentation for it!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows how to edit the default emmet shortcuts in VS Code?

The main example is that I always use "!" and tab at the beginning of an html file to get this automaticaly:

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Document</title>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Basically I'd like to change it so that it always puts <html lang="fr"> instead since all my school stuff has to be in french.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here good with MongoDB? I'm using it for the first time and I have a question...

If I'm creating an app where each account can have A LOT of documents, should I create a collection per account, or just put all the documents in one collection linked with an id of the account? An account can opt to delete all their data too, so I'm thinking a collection per account may be idea, I just dont know if thats a best practice.

I'm coming from an SQL background so this is all super new to me.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with ASP.NET Core 2.0, and angular? I'm having some issues with a program for one of my classes in the structuring. I don't seem to have proper asset folders for images and css, (Couldn't get static calls to work for CSS, worked for images). I'm just really not sure how images and style sheets work with ASP.net core 2.0. (I know 2.1 is the latest).

GeoMack

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone have any experience with board game AI? trying to implement a MCTS for a match 5 type game. the rules are 2 colors, black and white, 19x19 board (have to use a 2D char vector) win conditions are matching 5 in any direction or capturing 10 pieces like this, if BWW_ then B can move here BWWB and capture the 2 white pieces or vice versa for vertical and horizontal directions. have to do it all in C++ using vim in linux.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
C++ is so much better now than when I was in high school. I upgraded the version of GCC at my work place this past year and learning modern C++ has been a pleasure. I just wish there was a pure C++ standalone http request parser.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have experience with ASP.NET Core 2.0, and angular? I'm having some issues with a program for one of my classes in the structuring. I don't seem to have proper asset folders for images and css, (Couldn't get static calls to work for CSS, worked for images). I'm just really not sure how images and style sheets work with ASP.net core 2.0. (I know 2.1 is the latest).

Are you only trying to use static files? Or are you using MVC stuff too? Make sure all your static files(HTML, CSS, JS, etc) are in wwwroot. Also make sure you have app.UseStaticFiles(); in your Configure method in Startup, and if you have app.UseMvc(), you put app.UseStaticFiles before Mvc. I think that should fix it? Let me know.

Edit: I've only been using 2.1, but I don't think this would matter.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you only trying to use static files? Or are you using MVC stuff too? Make sure all your static files(HTML, CSS, JS, etc) are in wwwroot. Also make sure you have app.UseStaticFiles(); in your Configure method in Startup, and if you have app.UseMvc(), you put app.UseStaticFiles before Mvc. I think that should fix it? Let me know.

Edit: I've only been using 2.1, but I don't think this would matter.
I want to use 2.1 but I don't want it to cause complications with the files my teacher is having us build and work with as the structures are a bit different. I did do the app.UseStaticFiles() in the startup.cs , but I don't think I did before the use MVC. I'll have to check. I'm going to talk to my professor tomorrow to make sure before I go any further as he's teaching in 2.0 but we're using 2.1 In additional pluralsight excercises and such. Which is confusing me, as the structure even with the CLI is slightly different.

Oct 27, 2017
[line]Is anybody good with VBA? I'm a total beginner (never used it before) and I'm trying to do something that should be super easy but encountering constant errors.

Background:
-I have Worksheet A which has 10 sheets, and 7 of those sheets are input data.
-I have Worksheet B, which contains my Macro, and will do stuff to the input data.
-The user enters the input worksheet file path in row 3 column 5.

What I want to do:
-For the moment, I literally just want to take all of the sheets in worksheet A and put them after the first worksheet in worksheet B.

What I have:
At the moment I have the following:[/line]

Code:
Sub CopySheet()

dim InFP as String
dim InFN as String
dim InWB as Workbook
dim InWS as Worksheet

dim OutFN as String
dim OutWB as Workbook
dim OutWS as Worksheet

dim InSheetNameArray as Variant

dim i as Integer
dim InArrayLength as Integer

'That declares variables.

InFP = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Macro Instruction Sheet").Cells(3,5).Value
InFN = Dir(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Macro Instruction Sheet).Cells(3,5).Value)

Set InWB = Workbooks(InFN)
'This line causes an error

InSheetNameArray=Array("Sheet 1", "Sheet 2, "Sheet 3", "Special Sheet", "SpeciSheet 3", "RelevantSheet", "ExampleSheet)
InArrayLength=UBound(InSheetNameArray)

For i=1 to InArrayLength
         InWB.Activate
         set InWS = ActiveWorkbook.Sheet(InSheetNameArray(i))
         sheets(InWS).Select
         sheets(InWS).Copy After:= Workbooks(OutFN).Sheets(i+1)
         Next i

End Sub

[line]The problem is at the Set INWB line I get an error which states "Subscript out of range". The problem is when I enter Debug mode, I can see that InFN is set as the correct file name, InFP is set as the correct file path, but InWB is set as 'nothing'. What is really confusing me though is that if I change it to "InWB = Workbooks.Open(InFN)" it opens the correct workbook, but if it does that it doesn't continue with the rest of the code (which I don't even know if it's right yet). Because it opens the right workbook I know it's able to find the file correctly, so I don't understand why I can't just set InWB as that one.

Can anybody see why I'm getting a 'subscript out of range' error with that line and how to fix that?[/line]

EDIT: Never mind, I got it sorted by just doing it differently.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change the color or the //TODO comments in VS 2017 without using Resharper?

I know I can change the comments at large but I'd like to have a special color just for the TODO stuff...

All I'm finding on Google are either Resharper related stuff or VS Code plugins.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone here have any knowledge in MIC1 microcode? I'm in knee deep in a world of shit and have literally no idea how to parse or start a project for class.

These low level programming courses are the fucking bane of my existence

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Is there really no easy ways to copy a directory in C#?? The "Directory" class has create, delete and move but no copy.

Looking at it on Google and the common solution is to actually do a bunch of foreach? Wtf