• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
She wasn't even fired was she?

She's transferring over to news anchor for the same channel was what I heard.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
White Man: Is racism really bad enough to fire someone over? Why can't we discuss this?

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with cent on his take on free speech.
But I do enjoy the young turks with the exception of Jimmy Dore.
I really wish they would cut him loose.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do generally agree with the politics on TYT and their priorities- getting money out of politics, addressing income inequality, expanding the social safety net, leftist positions on LGBT rights, criminal justice reform, and so on. They are better on these issues than most of the left and much better than the liberal mainstream media outlets like MSNBC and CNN. A lot of the bashing of TYT here is off-base and done by people who championed Hillary Clinton back in 2016; a terrible candidate whose failings in-part gave us Donald Trump. The Young Turks were very late to throw their support behind Clinton, and in hindsight that was wise (Dore never did, but he's also a lunatic).

While I like Ana and some of the other pundits on TYT quite a bit, Cenk is kind of middling. I do not agree with him on some issues and certainly not here. Megyn Kelly has a long history of making racist comments. The "black face" comments were not a one-off. NBC should never have hired that trash and I am happy to see her get shitcanned. And I am suspicious of leftists who are constantly on about free speech, like Cenk and Bill Maher and Jimmy Dore. Speech can be hate. Speech can approach violence. But this isn't even a free speech issue, at its heart. NBC has no obligation to give racists a platform.
Excellent post.

And yeah Dore needs to go.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake, this isn't even a free speech issue! Kelly wasn't stopped from making racist statements. Her employer doesn't have to give her a platform or pay her to be publicly racist on company time. And they don't have a duty to absorb the damage to their network's reputation from employing a vocal racist on-staff.

But again, NBC shouldn't have hired her. Megyn Kelly has a history of these sorts of comments! And she will walk away millions of dollars richer despite that.

Fuck Megyn Kelly AND fuck NBC. And also fuck Cenk for turning this into something that it is not, and also for giving a sideways defense for someone who is publicly and vocally racist against black Americans.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Another fun fact, Cenk also defended Info Wars. Cringey as fuck

theres a big difference between people who say dumb shit (Cenk) and people who have continually peddled toxic, hateful bullshit, and also just recently got exposed for harassing a woman reporter in her DMs (Dore). So you won't hear an argument from me about Dore. He's garbage.

Look, I understand what Cenk is saying. Trying to be a "free speech absolute". I just don't agree with it.

And no, that's not why people hate TYT here. Let's be honest

I thought you would know better than all the posters here. You can be a free speech absolutist by principle without supporting the shit said person is spewing. Major difference.

I dont mind Kelly getting fired but I understand such a position like Cenk's.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Not really a fan of the TYT, but if this was some new revelation, I could maybe see the point to his approach. But it's not. I don't think there is such a thing as a "teachable moment" with someone like Megyn Kelly. NBC knew who they were hiring.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even need to watch this. Lemme guess- "slippery slope"

It's a meandering thing where he says white people just don't know it's racist, just don't know about police brutality so have the conversation on TV and they'll get it.. lol

He accurately predicts that people would say well you don't need to not fire Megs to have that conversation. So his rebuttal to is but they aren't having it... which somehow means since they shouldn't have fired her.

He then says he knows it's not a free speech issue but then makes all the usual we shouldn't censor discussion arguments that are inherent in a free speech argument.

He knows he's wrong but because he's a moron he just dances around to claim to still be in the right.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is it then because you keep saying this like it's supposed to be obvious
Because it -is- obvious for those who are regular here and are aware it TYT. And correct me if I'm wrong, but your username looks familiar enough to me for me to suspect that you know exactly what it is and you're trying to pull me down the path of relitigation. And nah.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because it -is- obvious for those who are regular here and are aware it TYT. And correct me if I'm wrong, but your username looks familiar enough to me for me to suspect that you know exactly what it is and you're trying to pull me down the path of relitigation. And nah.
I think you're implying TYT is hated bc it's leftist, which is hilarious since they're garbage regardless of their stances and there are further left personalities that are much better.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you would know better than all the posters here. You can be a free speech absolutist by principle without supporting the shit said person is spewing. Major difference.

I dont mind Kelly getting fired but I understand such a position like Cenk's.

"Goddamnit look I don't support someone saying black people are all thugs on national TV but I also don't support deciding to stop letting them say it, and stop paying them to say it, on National TV. I'm a principled free speech absolutist"

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I've been in lots of threads about politics yes.

I genuinely have no idea what you're implying about them.

TYT was a big supporter of Bernie doing the 2016 election. Also, they rail against the centrist Democrats that are popular here. All in all its just social democrat vs liberal slap fighting.
Okay well there's an answer at least.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
If Ana ran TYT instead of Cenk, I feel like a lot of the bad elements in the company would be gone.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it then because you keep saying this like it's supposed to be obvious

A good amount of the posters that rag on TYT here were huge Hillary supporters on the old forum, and they were furious that TYT held out hope for Bernie up to and even after the convention. And although everyone at TYT (AFAIK) did ultimately support Hillary except Dore, they hold a grudge over that. But you know what, Cenk was right about Clinton. She was a candidate that could lose to Trump, and she did. So people hold grudges about that. It's the same reason you see the unfounded bullshit blaming Trump's election on "Bernie or Busters" time and time again. The same old 2016 primary re-litigation that we have here all the time.

There are reasons to dislike The Young Turks. They can be abrasive and Cenk is a blowhard. They aren't left enough IMO on certain issues, both social and economic. And on free speech, some of them, particularly Jimmy Dore and Cenk, are in the Bill Maher-type mindset. They treat it as an isolated thought experiment or "oh this is a slippery slope" rather than the way that I suspect many posters here do, which is that anti-black, or anti-LGBT, antisemitic, or anti-Muslim speech, is inherently harmful to society and, when extreme enough (Alex Jones is a great example) can be an incitement to violence. Hate speech is, to me, indistinguishable *in some cases* to violence.

But mostly what we get here in discussion about TYT is less legitimate criticism and more "hurr durr they suck". It's more complicated than that. Like, at Politicon they had a great panel with several younger members of TYT:

That was typical of the discussion we have here at ERA, and on the left in general. Stuff like this is really great and there were legitimate arguments all-round. Posters have made statements comparing TYT to Breitbart, or to Alex Jones. And that's just absurd. We can talk about the problems with the content of the network without resorting to nonsense comparisons to hate merchants.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
And yet who is the one coming in defense of the racist keeping her job. Hmm?

Cenk is a "former" moderate republican so seeing him think this way isn't really surprising to me. A lot of liberal folks here and in the US also think similar views (the repeated number of how do we reach out to conservative/trump supporters topics/articles) so if this is supposed to be a shot at them I find it kinda funny.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
A good amount of the posters that rag on TYT here were huge Hillary supporters on the old forum, and they were furious that TYT held out hope for Bernie up to and even after the convention. And although everyone at TYT (AFAIK) did ultimately support Hillary except Dore, they hold a grudge over that. But you know what, Cenk was right about Clinton. She was a candidate that could lose to Trump, and she did. So people hold grudges about that. It's the same reason you see the unfounded bullshit blaming Trump's election on "Bernie or Busters" time and time again. The same old 2016 primary re-litigation that we have here all the time.

There are reasons to dislike The Young Turks. They can be abrasive and Cenk is a blowhard. They aren't left enough IMO on certain issues, both social and economic. And on free speech, some of them, particularly Jimmy Dore and Cenk, are in the Bill Maher-type mindset. They treat it as an isolated thought experiment or "oh this is a slippery slope" rather than the way that I suspect many posters here do, which is that anti-black, or anti-LGBT, antisemitic, or anti-Muslim speech, is inherently harmful to society and, when extreme enough (Alex Jones is a great example) can be an incitement to violence. Hate speech is, to me, indistinguishable *in some cases* to violence.

But mostly what we get here in discussion about TYT is less legitimate criticism and more "hurr durr they suck". It's more complicated than that. Like, at Politicon they had a great panel with several younger members of TYT:

That was typical of the discussion we have here at ERA, and on the left in general. Stuff like this is really great and there were legitimate arguments all-round. Posters have made statements comparing TYT to Breitbart, or to Alex Jones. And that's just absurd. We can talk about the problems with the content of the network without resorting to nonsense comparisons to hate merchants.

I agree with this. They do have their problems but they're a good gateway for pulling folks further left.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Claiming that Kelly is being removed from the network solely because of the blackface comment is such a surface level understanding of the issues with her. Cenk should realize this but I can't really say he's better than that.

Her show has consistently underperformed. She's had a history of saying problematic things. She's become a liability to NBC more than an asset. Let's not act like she hasn't gotten multiple chances here. Of course to be fair to her what also may have factored in was her coverage of sexual assault scandals at NBC, where on the very network her show aired she was throwing shade at upper management for protecting people like Lauer or stonewalling the reporting of people like Ronan Farrow.

However they knew they were also taking a risk by having her on. Her history of racially charged rhetoric is documented before she came to NBC. To think that was solely just the influence of Fox News would be naive. And here yet again we have an example of her being ignorant and on national television with the peacock branding attempt to make a case for why blackface is just fine and people should get over it.

For those curious of her being fired, she hasn't been just yet. Currently she's negotiating with NBC for her release, as she's looking for $50 million for breach of contract to avoid going to court over wrongful termination. But you can almost guarantee, short of going the online route, she's not going to get another job in news/opinion again any time soon.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Cenk is a "former" moderate republican so seeing him think this way isn't really surprising to me. A lot of liberal folks here and in the US also think similar views (the repeated number of how do we reach out to conservative/trump supporters topics/articles) so if this is supposed to be a shot at them I find it kinda funny.

I mean it's his media group.

Reminder the only people invoking 2016 in this thread are the people complaining about how other people make everything about 2016...

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with Cenk having this opinion. I'm also a fan of TYT for the most part and I think they do a lot of great and important work. The wholesale dismissal of the people on that network and what they do is disheartening and I would expect more from a forum where the members largely identify as liberals/progressives/democrats. Things like Wolf PAC, which works to get money out of politics, are of great value to the US and especially right now when corruption and the power of money run rampant in our political system. The formation of the Justice Democrats is also a very important development here in the states.

Some of you need to learn how to disagree with people on some things without completely writing off everything they do and say. It makes you come across as super tribal and closed-minded. I know a lot of people still hold it against TYT because they dared to call out Hillary Clinton on a number of issues and really it is far past time to get over that.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
Why did NBC hire Megyn Kelly in the first place? Was their perception that there was a bunch of never-Trumpers that she could tap into to boost their viewer base?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with Cenk having this opinion. I'm also a fan of TYT for the most part and I think they do a lot of great and important work. The wholesale dismissal of the people on that network and what they do is disheartening and I would expect more from a forum where the members largely identify as liberals/progressives/democrats. Things like Wolf PAC, which works to get money out of politics, are of great value to the US and especially right now when corruption and the power of money run rampant in our political system. The formation of the Justice Democrats is also a very important development here in the states.

Some of you need to learn how to disagree with people on some things without completely writing off everything they do and say. It makes you come across as super tribal and closed-minded. I know a lot of people still hold it against TYT because they dared to call out Hillary Clinton on a number of issues and really it is far past time to get over that.
The idea that people cant possibly dislike people because they are flaming trashfires and not because of 2016 relitigation really is just completely unthinkable to some of you huh.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
pretty sure chapo gets clowned on not even 1/10 as often as TYT on here in spite of being precisely as [DESCRIPTOR REDACTED] so take this bizarre "y'all only care about them because they dared attack HRC" stanning the fuck outta here

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it in my general response followed by a string of quote tweets from familiar posters saying "NO LZ WHY DONT YOU TELL US WHY WE HATE TYT HUH HUH." It replies of "well actually".

I mean- I didn't need to do the work... As usual.

An overwhelming majority of the hate that TYT has gotten form the old board, and here (to a lesser degree) is because they didnt support Hillary. Let's not suggest otherwise, hmmm?

Duuude you literally opened with y'all know why you really hate Cenk and it isn't because of shit like this, you don't get to proclaim you weren't relitigating 2016 and then to boot bitch that others are trying to drag you in to it, when you open up with it... You brought it in, not anyone else. What you're doing is the verbal equivalent of attaching yourself via a rope to someone else, throwing them off a cliff and then complaining that they are dragging you off the cliff ,and that they need to stop it.... It's just you, and the other guy endorsing your insinuation, ya'll are peak relitigating while bitching about how everyone else just won't get over 2016... Yet the only ones who brought it into play was y'all.

Plenty of people who don't suck supported Sanders, Sam Seder for example doesn't get dunked on the way TYT does... why? Because Sam Seder doesn't fucking suck.

Cenk and by osmosis TYT (because you know it's his company and he employs Jim Dore) get dunked on because he sucks.

docyoe

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Pretty much this.
The TYT hate and Bernie hate in this board is pretty baffling.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
TYT do have a weird hiccup now and then but not worth dismissing the entire channel over. This take though is really confusing. Kasparian making excuses for the cosplayers "tan" was particularly bizarre.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Duuude you literally opened with y'all know why you really hate Cenk and it isn't because of shit like this, you don't get to proclaim you weren't relitigating 2016 and then to boot bitch that others are trying to drag you in to it, when you open up with it... You brought it in, not anyone else. What you're doing is the verbal equivalent of attaching yourself via a rope to someone else, throwing them off a cliff and then complaining that they are dragging you off the cliff ,and that they need to stop it.... It's just you, and the other guy endorsing your insinuation, ya'll are peak relitigating while bitching about how everyone else just won't get over 2016... Yet the only ones who brought it into play was y'all.

Plenty of people who don't suck supported Sanders, Sam Seder for example doesn't get dunked on the way TYT does... why? Because Sam Seder doesn't fucking suck.

Cenk and by osmosis TYT (because you know it's his company and he employs Jim Dore) get dunked on because he sucks.
I deleted my post based on mod demand- I guess were ignoring that /shrug

And again, my (deleted) post was selectively quoted