• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It can be depending on how it is implemented
If there is a real effort to make sure all people have access to the updated language it shouldn't be an issue but that is extremely hard to do for countries as big as Brazil and Mexico

Evolution takes time and again I'm not talking just Spanish here, English, fucking French especially, all ought to evolve towards more gender neutrality

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's kind of a "new" term. No research needed. Plus, as a latin adjacent (pops is black dominican) I find it kinda corny, as well.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
When and where did I say that?

I specifically do not believe that the Spanish speaking world will adopt Latinx. I also believe that any strides forward the Spanish speaking world takes with the treatment of LGBT people will do done kicking and screaming. This is just one example.
A big part of the regression of treatment of LGBT people in Latino America in the last decades has been "thanks" to evangelical and NA churches pumping money there.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
So basically are we getting to the people who created the term have been brainwashed by white America or something?

I dont know how other countries deal with it, but some people that identify as Puerto Rican have never been to PR and dont speak Spanish at all. And when they do try to live in the Island, they cant deal and the locals give them the side eye.

I see sorry coming from a trans background, I'm conditioned to read "ed" in these kind of situations as inherently negative as folks use transgendered to imply it was something done to a trans person, so Americanized here read negative to me... especially in light of how much erasure really is happening here.

And to be honest, the level of side-eye a Newyorican gets is not radically different from one a trans person gets.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks are still using miles, inches, feet, yards and come talk down how others need to evolve.

Please.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Latino era here. I also find Latinx dumb. I think this is one of those things where a small group of people making a fuss on twitter made it seem like this phrase was commonly used, accepted and liked.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
I hate the latinx term, hopefully no one ever calls me like that. Latino/latina are spanish words, latinx doesn't make any sense.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should have stopped at Latin. Latinx looks and sounds wild and as someone with secret Dominican blood, I'm as offended as my brushed under the rug ancestors will allow.

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not surprised of the results from the polling. hispanics/latinos are already marginalized and disparaged from who they are as well where they came from then you add another word forced down on us to accept is never gonna work. So please stop calling us "latinx". Most of us dont like it...if some hispanic/ latino does like being referred as "latinx" then call them by that...just not most of us.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
It feels like there's multiple conversations going on here:
Should latinx be the word of choice?
Do you go by latinx?
Should anyone go by latinx?
Is using latinx incorrect?
Is thinking latinx is wrong, transphobic?
Does it matter where the term originated from?

Either way, how often in conversation would someone even be called "latin_"?
Isn't it a self identified mostly?

"Hi I am blue skies and I am Latino"
"Blue skies is Latino"

How often would this even come up in conversation?

Now if we're talking about a widespread usage of it, like in news media, or a thread title here:
"Latinos que piensan de Marco Rubio?"
What's wrong with wording it like that?
That's inclusive of everyone.
If you think it's not, then you're wrong. It's not meant to exclude anyone.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Since the letter x isn't a vowel in Spanish, is painful to take someone seriously when they write anything with x's pretending to be progressive.

It's like if someone in America use a cyrillic letter to represent your country (Дmericans)... XD

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
No, it doesn't. I'm not even Non-Binary, and if someone said "Yeah I'm *blank*" I'd be like "Okay cool, that's what I'll refer to your identity as".

They're not saying to call you Latinx, but to call them Latinx.

Why can't it be as simple as this ? It affects me not one iota to respect someone in the manner they request . Like... why is this thread so long, why are people feeling attacked over this terms usage when it has nothing to do with them? Why are they almost gleeful in expressing their ignorance of it? Quite disheartening

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since the letter x isn't a vowel in Spanish, is painful to take someone seriously when they write anything with x's to pretend to be progressive.

It's like if someone in America use a cirilic letter to represent your country (Дmericans)... XD

why the fuck do you think they are "pretending to be progressive"

what fucking mentality is that?

feminist men are only feminist because they want to get pussy too?

ugh.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Look at my Latinx over here.

Latinx always sounded like one of those things cooked up in elite colleges with the best of intentions but not exactly hitting the mark.

Gonna stick w/ Latino until Jorge Ramos tells me otherwise

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like there's multiple conversations going on here:
Should latinx be the word of choice?
Do you go by latinx?
Should anyone go by latinx?
Is using latinx incorrect?
Is thinking latinx is wrong, transphobic?
Does it matter where the term originated from?

Either way, how often in conversation would someone even be called "latin_"?
Isn't it a self identified mostly?

"Hi I am blue skies and I am Latino"
"Blue skies is Latino"

How often would this even come up in conversation?

Now if we're talking about a widespread usage of it, like in news media, or a thread title here:
"Latinos que piensan de Marco Rubio?"
What's wrong with wording it like that?
That's inclusive of everyone.
If you think it's not, then you're wrong. It's not meant to exclude anyone.

But there are people in this very thread arguing that "Latinos que piensan de Marco Rubio" is exclusionary. That's the discussion.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I speak portuguese and I really dislike this X usage. In Portuguese words gender are not the same as human gender. I'm glad nowadays I only see that kind of stuff within some niches place and corporate environment trying to be cool(so cringy).

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always assumed this was something to only be used in a written format, and only when something like anonymity or generalization is required.

Like, I never would have imagined people actually tried to speak Latinx as if it's its own word.

Though I'm not sure what was wrong with Latin@ in that case. Granted, that may be some Pokemon leaking over from seeing Lati@s typed out so much.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Folks are still using miles, inches, feet, yards and come talk down how others need to evolve.

Please.
Imperial over metric standards versus gender inclusiveness: Take 2.

I originally heard of Latinx from the LGBTQ community of the Latin American diaspora located in the USA. I get that there's pushback from literally everyone else, but if it starts with them, its something they felt they wanted, and it has to start somewhere. I only wonder if LGBTQ people in Central and S. America have an opinion and what they have to say about it.

Not really worried about market research polls, since this is more of a progressive protestation and a conscious choice of wording with purpose. If you're not down, don't use it, I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ze is probably really unpopular in English too that doesn't mean the idea of it isn't good and progressive. It's just really hard to change something that fundamental.

My wife is Mexican and she uses Latinx in certain contexts to be inclusive. When I mentioned just saying Latin seemed better imo she said she didn't like that because its already a word with different meanings and Latinx just works better in Spanish to actually address and work around the whole masculine/feminine aspect of the language instead of trying to just erase it.

Edit: That said she personally identifies as Hispanic. Which is an important note in regards to this poll. The poll is asking what people identify as personally. 2% identifying as non binary sounds about right. You don't have to personally identify with it to understand it's usefulness in certain contexts when addressing others.

Last edited:

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think it looks and sounds dumb. Surely there's a better word to replace it.

I'm not surprised at the figures. Pretty much everyone at We Are Mitu comment section trashes the word.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm sorry but if you don't speak spanish you shouldn't tell people what words they should use, even if you are latino. It is not about if you are latino but about a laguage you use every day. Latinx sounds really awkward and it's sort of hard to pronounce, especially if you have speech problems. This is why lots of spanish speakers here are sayin latin or latine is better.
I'm guessing you're non-binary?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone who's not what they're talking about should just stop talking about those things.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
why the fuck do you think they are "pretending to be progressive".

That's because it's what I see normally in my local context (Bogota, Colombia). If I want to understand everyone, I talk it directly, not putting "X's" everywhere in my notes/books/posts.

Ah but of course, were in a US centric forum. Our context doesn't really care here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's because it's what I see normally in my local context (Bogota, Colombia). If I want to understand everyone, I talk it directly, not putting "X's" everywhere in my notes/books/posts.

Ah but of course, were in a US centric forum. Our context doesn't really care here.

is what you "see" or what you assume?

or do you know personally every person using the x, and you know they are just "pretending" instead of just being progressive

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing you're non-binary?
No but I speak spanish and I have seen people in social media use "e" instead "x" so if I have to use a word as plural and nore inclusive I will use latine because not only is easier but I actually have seen people use it. You can use what you want for you.

This thread is about latinos and what they choose to use not just non binary latinos.

Last edited:

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
It's really fucked up the way people are trying to skew this topic to make it about individuals identifying as Latinx, when the issue is that American politicians like Elizabeth Warren think it's okay to just decide for millions of Latin-American people that their new demonym is "Latinx" instead of "Latino." That's just simply something that white Americans shouldn't be deciding for other people.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really fucked up the way people are trying to skew this topic to make it about individuals identifying as Latinx, when the issue is that American politicians like Elizabeth Warren think it's okay to just decide for millions of Latin-American people that their new demonym is "Latinx" instead of "Latino." That's just simply something that white Americans shouldn't be deciding for other people.

what is fucked up, is people in this thread identifying themselves as latinx and people in this very same thread calling anyone who uses that term an idiot and that they will laugh at their faces.

that is what is fucked up

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
what is fucked up, is people in this thread identifying themselves as latinx and people in this very same thread calling anyone who uses that term an idiot and that they will laugh at their faces.

So you're okay with Elizabeth Warren randomly deciding that people who generally don't refer to themselves as latinx are to be called latinx? Wow.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're okay with Elizabeth Warren randomly deciding that people who generally don't refer to themselves as latinx are to be called latinx? Wow.

i dont care about Elizabeth Warren

i care about people in this thread identifying as such, and other people saying that anyone who uses that word is an idiot.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
people really in this thread uncomfortable being called a differently-gendered identifier than they prefer, but seeing zero irony when they shit on Latinx as a garbage term in the same breath

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
i dont care about Elizabeth Warren

i care about people in this thread identifying as such, and other people saying that anyone who uses that word is an idiot.

Obviously people who identify as Latinx should be refered to as such. Why do you not care about the people who identify as Latino being called Latinx by a culture and nation which has a history of oppressing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.