• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I hate the term Latinx as a speaker of multiple Latin based langauges (Romance Languages).

it's like saying, "fuck your language of origin, lets fuck it"

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
It's the dumbest shit. I cringe everytime I see someone on here write it. If I ever said "latinx" to my wife (who is Colombian) she'd probably laugh me out of the room.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I mostly just say latin people. But latinx does sound more inclusive. Like how some folks are now using folx or womxn to be more inclusive of lgbtq people. I don't see a problem in using and popularizing it even if it's still quite unpopular. Languages evolve and with time more will identify with it.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Either Latin-ex or Latinex

It's honestly not a great term. It works better in English than it does in Spanish. If you follow through logically and replace an X to make things gender neutral, you get in trouble really quick. How do you pronounce niñxs? doctorxs? architectxs?
There you go. It just doesn't work as a logical replacement in the language.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Always thought it was really presumptuous for English speakers to try to replace the words Latino/a for their own version. Insulting even. So yeah, not surprised, lol.

This is not the origin of the term at all.

The term Latinx emerged from American Spanish in the early 21st century,[11] and was reportedly first used online in 2004.[12] The term has gained popularity in social media, and is mostly used by community activists and in higher education settings by students, faculty, staff, and some administrators who seek to advocate for individuals living on the borderlines of gender identity.[13]

The term emerged in response to "to circumstances in which existent language structures fail to articulate value in appropriate ways."[14][15]
LGBT
Salinas and Lozano (2017) stated that the term is influenced by Mexican indigenous communities that have a third gender role, such as Juchitán de Zaragoza, Oaxaca (see also: Gender system § Juchitán, Oaxaca, Mexico).[13]

The term is explicitly rooted in Spanish-speaking communities within the United States. The term comes from Spanish-speaking Americans attempting to negotiate modern developments in gender identity with their strictly gendered home language. Just because the term is not popular doesn't mean it isn't authentic.

I have no opinion on the term because I am white and not Latin but if a Latin-American asked me to use Latinx, I would. The intersection between gender and language is currently difficult to navigate and I think it's weird that people dunk on trans and nonbinary folks for trying to adapt their own language to their experience.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol holy shit didn't we just have a thread about how we shouldn't be dismissive of nb/trans issues?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
As a Latino, yeah it's stupid. Use either Latino or Latina, whatever feels right. Latino should still work for non-binary people.
Overall, Spanish is a very hard language to be gender neutral with, there are cases where you can do it, but phonetically it's a pain in the ass.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Latinx is largely just a US centric term, I don't see why people would or worry about it. The best example of what happens when rubber hits the road is looking at something like Univision coverage of the elections going on, when the term comes up on the trail in Spanish language coverage, it just gets translated into the regular grammatical terms.

I get the idea that US-centric terms are seen online as trying to take over other culture's grammatical structure, but I mean if you actually look on Spanish channels or read through Spanish websites outside the US, it's obvious it's not nor will it. Personally don't sweat it. You're gonna see it everywhere in the US or likely on English speaking websites but outside of that it's not actually an issue so it feels sort of moot to me.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you a spanish speaker?

I am native spanish speaker. People that hate language progress sound to me just like people that hate gender neutral bathrooms and refuse to refer to people as "they" even when asked multiple times because it sounds weird.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

Its Resetera, people are dense as fuck and love erasing the contirbutions of non-whites to the discourse.

yeah I'm seeing that here
if you've only heard it from white folks...maybe read more non white authors? some here are just now realizing this is about the gendered nature of spanish, like...cool, good to have you join gje dialogue after dropping your hot take

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I was just in a diversity and cultural seminar for my job and there was a big uproar there between people who identified as Latino and people who identified as Latinx. I think most people there preferred Latino but it was hard to tell. It was a very interesting conversation that I wasn't really aware existed.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly just say latin people. But latinx does sound more inclusive. Like how some folks are now using folx or womxn to be more inclusive of lgbtq people. I don't see a problem in using and popularizing it even if it's still quite unpopular. Languages evolve and with time more will identify with it.

How do you spell this one?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am native spanish speaker. People that hate language progress sound to me just like people that hate gender neutral bathrooms and refuse to refer to people as "they" even when asked multiple times because it sounds weird.
Those things are not equivalent in any way.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this actually does make some sense and I had never thought about it in the context of how gender dependent the language is.
I'm nonbinary so it's something I had to grow up with, which kind of sucks. Oh well, the least I can do is try to adopt more gender neutral language and encourage everyone who is open to the idea to do the same :)

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

bingo
worth noting that the idea of language as set only by academic standards and being otherwise immutable is itself rooted in white supremacy

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a problem to generally use term 'Hispanic'? That too is gender neutral, and sounds less cumbersome.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep all the hatred sounds exactly like the pronoun debate that more people are finally starting to take seriously

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
You'd probably get a similar poll result about English gender neutral terms too you know... Singular they, etc.... In as much as surprise most people who don't have to think about gender neutrality don't think about gender neutrality
Singular "they" has centuries of use to recommend it at least, so I would assume it would be more accepted. But in general you're probably right.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is it came more from the LGBT english sphere and that "latin@" was the one that originated from spanish speakers. "Latin" seems to be by far the best english option to use just because you can pronounce it.

This is what I never understood. Latin is already a perfectly logical, gender-neutral word to use, so why invent one?

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. My wife's extended family (from Latin America) have either never heard of it or think it's fair game for ridiculing. 98% of people probably identify as male or female, probably an uphill battle trying to get them to use or identify with an Americanized gender-neutral word.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
lol holy shit didn't we just have a thread about how we shouldn't be dismissive of nb/trans issues?

Can't you just use "Latin"?

It's as gender-neutral as it comes. No "as" or "os". And it's still easy to pronounce.

The "x" is just forced, and doesn't translate well to other terms.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I find it silly people fight about this word , I personally don't like it and would never use it but Christ it's just a word , if people want to use it more power to them , just don't expect that everyone will want to use it, making a big deal about nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd probably get a similar poll result about English gender neutral terms too you know... Singular they, etc.... In as much as surprise most people who don't have to think about gender neutrality don't think about gender neutrality

Doubt it, singular they is easier to incorporate into standard speech and written prose because it exists and flows well with the rest of the language.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, ok. Is there a cultural reason why Latinx has become the genderless term of choice and not just "Latin"?

Latinx is conscious a response to gendered language than trying to meekly adapt by using the english language words. It is kind of supposed to sound jarring and weird.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I love how if you don't think people using Latinx is a big deal, you are automatically not Latino, not a native Spanish speaker, etc.

As for what non-Latino people should call us... I don't know. I don't particularly care if they use Latinx over Latino. But I sure as hell am not going to tell other Latinos what to use for themselves or think I'm more valid than them because of it.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No shit, Latinx feels extra rubbish because it's mostly pushed by non-spanish speaking people on us.

We actually have neutral words we actually use, it's just that it feels fake woke folks wants us to use the ones THEY came out with.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Who cares? It's a way for non-binary people to be gender neutral. 98% of people don't have problems with their birth genders.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
This is what I never understood. Latin is already a perfectly logical, gender-neutral word to use, so why invent one?

My wife and I just had this discussion a week ago. We're both in our mid-30s and were wondering why Latinx is a thing when just Latin would work. We assume its just a generational thing as well as trying to be more gender nuetral. Also, Latin said in Spanish wouldn't work, but then again neither would LatinX so yeah.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the word was really weird because I never saw actual Latino people using that word.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
[
Are you a spanish speaker?

I'm not proficient with it, no? guess I'd better check with all the black & indigenous folks using it for a while now to see if they're continuing efforts to be more inclusive or secerly woke anglo progressives or whatever other strawman some of y'all wheel out here

yes but switching up the most minor bits of language is a bridge too far, and made of corn apparently

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As a latino... It doesn't bother me and I'm honestly surprised by how much it's bothering some other people here.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Serious question:. People that use the term Latinx, is it for Latino people or for their own sensibilities?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the issue with latino/latina because while spanish words are gendered, I know if someone uses "latino/s" while talking about me doesn't means they are calling me a man. Latino is used as plural and includes everyone.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Mexican-American. I don't use Hispanic or Latino. And what the hell is Latinx?

Status
Not open for further replies.