• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I am native spanish speaker. People that hate language progress sound to me just like people that hate gender neutral bathrooms and refuse to refer to people as "they" even when asked multiple times because it sounds weird.
I'm not a Spanish speaker but judging from what others are saying it seems like adding an "x" creates problems. I don't think people here are saying gender neutral words shouldn't exist, and throwing accusations like that is dangerous.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Spanish speaker but judging from what others are saying it seems like adding an "x" creates problems. I don't think people here are saying gender neutral words shouldn't exist, and throwing accusations like that is dangerous.

it DOESN'T at fucking at all "create problems"

what the actual fuck

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Either Latin-ex or Latinex

It's honestly not a great term. It works better in English than it does in Spanish. If you follow through logically and replace an X to make things gender neutral, you get in trouble really quick. How do you pronounce niñxs? doctorxs? architectxs?
I'll be the first to admit that I am adjusting to this pronoun concept even as a progressive person. But just to be clear.. doctor and architect have no gender as is so you wouldn't make this change. Even in Spanish I don't remember there even being a male-specific gendered version of doctors as they use doctores.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
hispanic and lartino aren't directly interchangable though
I mean it's the whole "they as singular neutral pronoun" hangup again. Is it imperfect? Sure. Could it have been designed better? Certainly.

But I don't see you policing any of the other arbitrary and inefficient rules of the language like why it's "el mapa" and why "ser" is conjugated so damn weirdly despite being so often.

So uh, get over it?

LatinX is a weird word to use irl.
It seems like Latinx serves as a more direct counter to Latino/Latina and works to better emphasize the point of why it exists than just referring to people as "Latin" would.

Folks will never stop treating gender neutrality as an imposition.

Just use Latin American if you want to be gender-inclusive. It's way more organic and most people won't wonder what the hell you mean.

The alternative is already there so what did we need to make up another word for it?

Sep 14, 2019
I'm latino and I don't like the word and no latino I know would use it to describe themselves.

I try to use it when I remember to.

Yeah, many Latinos in my community aren't a fan of the term. Now if only they weren't a fan of the homophobic, bigoted, sexist, bullshit they like to spew and laugh about...

I use Latino and Hispanic interchangeably myself. Latinx, to me, has always seemed like an odd solution to a relatively minor problem.

A lot of Latinos in my community aren't a fan of the "Hispanic" term, either. It's been explained before, but I keep forgetting why. I just stoped using the word.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
You'd probably get a similar poll result about English gender neutral terms too you know... Singular they, etc.... In as much as surprise most people who don't have to think about gender neutrality don't think about gender neutrality
This is not the origin of the term at all.

The term is explicitly rooted in Spanish-speaking communities within the United States. The term comes from Spanish-speaking Americans attempting to negotiate modern developments in gender identity with their strictly gendered home language. Just because the term is not popular doesn't mean it isn't authentic.

I have no opinion on the term because I am white and not Latin but if a Latin-American asked me to use Latinx, I would. The intersection between gender and language is currently difficult to navigate and I think it's weird that people dunk on trans and nonbinary folks for trying to adapt their own language to their experience.
I'm really confused as to why it's an American thing has been conflated with it's a White thing.

Yes it's American but it wasn't outside of the community created.

Can people like read posts like these that go against their preconceived narratives and do a little introspection? Or are we going to get page after page of people falling over themselves to dunk on "woke" culture?

lol holy shit didn't we just have a thread about how we shouldn't be dismissive of nb/trans issues?

This thread is simultaneously evidence of why conversations like that are necessary and why threads like that don't get that much traction. I can't say much as a general lurker, but it's telling that this thread already has more posts than that one.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Latinx has always seemed unpronounceable to me in Spanish. The e pronouns work much better, although I don't use inclusive language.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I'd welcome that one as well - my region is more caribbean/south american than central so it's not heard out this way much, but i can see where it'd flow better

don't get me wrong, I am all for making the RAE rage, and I think the better option is to use "e" as in "amigue / muchaches, etc". It is very easy to replace since normally gender identification resides in just one vowel.

The "x" feels more like a phonetic convenience for English speakers because the e is usually mute at the end of a word.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep calling Latino's Latinos as long as they want me to call them such, and when they tell me not to I will call them by whatever they want them to be called.

But I've always found myself using Hispanic.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Language is a set of rules that can and should absolutely change with the time. People have been trying to come up with solutions for decades. I had 2 teachers in highschool, 2004-era Latin America, and one was a very traidtional catholic from Spain that refused to even accept that gendered words were an issue. The other one was an Argentinian teacher that showed us options like adding o/a to certain words, changing the o/a to an e or with an @. Shit is complicated, and I don't bemoan people for trying to find a solution.

Latin-Ex. Easy peasy.

Except that's not how the letter 'x' sounds naturally in Spanish, and especially not there at the end of a word. 'Ex' is closer to the sound that it makes in English, which I think evidences how it is used mostly in English speaking environments.

It should either be /latinks/, which is basically unpronounceable in Spanish and very unnatural sounding, or /latin-equis/, which would be the result of separating the 'x' from the word.

Oct 25, 2017
The language is gendered but it doesn't imply gender, and Latinx is awfully jarring when actually speaking Spanish.
You can refer to people by both their gender and as a title that is gendered differently.

He is The Claw and The Claw is dangerous.
El es La Garra y La Garra es peligroso.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except from what I gather, there are an increasing amount of people in the community pushing back against the idea that it doesn't imply gender. If its anything like french (the only romance language I know), it very much implies gender.

What do you do when the person does not fall within the rigid definition of gender? Does it always default to Latino?

yes, certain words become it is understood that certain words when used in certain contexts are gender neutral despite being gendered. like if you are talking about someone you dont know in spanish, the rules of the language are to default to latino in this instance.

all that said, i did a study on inherent bias in gendered languages, like translating from a gendered language to an ungendered language back to a gendered language reveals hidden bias (he is a doctor vs she is a nurse from the same sentence, as example) so i get it. i just reject the notion, as i pointed out, that i have been told that identifying people who identify as male as latino is wrong. which it is not.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be the first to admit that I am adjusting to this pronoun concept. But just to be clear.. doctor and architect have no gender as is so you wouldn't make this change. Even in Spanish I don't remember there even being a male-specific gendered version of doctors as they use doctores.

Doctor and Doctora are definitely gendered titles people use. "Doctores" and "doctoras" for plural form, too.

Arquitecto is gendered male. Arquitecta female.

Nothing escapes the wrath of this cursed language

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Americans have no business dictating our language. None whatsoever.

Wut. You realize that there is ton of regional language differences in English speaking countries right? If you aren't American, you won't be hurt by people in America creating new terms to be more inclusive.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Always thought it was really presumptuous for English speakers to try to replace the words Latino/a for their own version. Insulting even. So yeah, not surprised, lol.

It originated with US academics who didn't like the existing Latin@ as an inclusive term.

Shame, because it looks so cool: Latinχ

It's very '90s in that way.

yeah, an actual alternative would be nice - no idea what beckys folks are on about, it's been used for quite some time by black and indigenous writers/activist etc

Inclusive alternatives do exist: Latine and Latin@.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I don't usually identify as Latino despite my heritage (coming from multi ethnic black and latino background gets confusing), but the "Latinx" label always seemed sort of forced, and I was mostly seeing white folk use it (not to say only they use it, but just giving my anecdotal 2 cents).

None of my Latino friends or relatives use it.

I've worked at a university and heard it used there by folks in academics and in campus life, but never in the hood or with people I know.

It just seems disconnected from the linguistics behind the term "latino", let alone when folks say "lets talk like this", it usually doesnt work. Language evolves constantly, but trying to force its hand often doesn't succeed.
Like, am I just going to speak Spanish ending nouns and adjectives with X's from now on? No. Then why would I for any specific word?

My (then-)patriotic dad stopped calling them "freedom fries" after a week, and I clowned him for it. Reminds me of that, or whenever folks would try to force slang words to exist.

If it catches on, you're weird for not saying it, and if it doesn't catch on, you're weird for saying it. That's just language.

Last edited:

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
my sister got used to saying because it was used in the Latino group she was in during college.
i don't mind the word and it's pretty easy to say so eh.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I would have no problem adapting my speech to "Latine", but I know that would have the opposite effect and be hard to pronounce for Americans.

So I suppose it would be best to leave "Latinx" for US use and "Latine" for LA use.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Americans have no business dictating our language. None whatsoever.

You heard it from them first, Spanish-speaking Americans. How you dictate your own language you grew up with doesn't matter.

It's like I'm reading the conspiracy that homosexuality was created by white men to make black men effeminate

What is this nonsense coming from a so called progressive site?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Wut. You realize that there is ton of regional language differences in English speaking countries right? If you aren't American, you won't be hurt by people in America creating new terms to be more inclusive.
No, but it is a problem when they try to dictate language use outside of the US, which happens more often than you would think.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, I'd welcome that one as well - my region is more caribbean/south american than central so it's not heard out this way much, but i can see where it'd flow better

Most of the stuff about imperialism doesn't bother me personally either though since looking at any 2nd or 3rd gen kid trying to speak Spanish is basically a giant smash of Spanglish terms like troca or parquear or whatever that get corrected by older gens but never stick. In those cases most people also accept that shit doesn't actually make sense but you mangle the language enough to make it grammatically make sense, in this case it's just people stop and gawk because it doesn't work grammatically. Again the instances of its use are always so specific (either literally written or spoken only in English) that it would never actually impair you actually speaking Spanish. There's a gap between people trying to argue that this is encroaching on a language vs the actual use in Spanish which is basically never.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
In my community the reaction has always generally been "Latinx? That's dumb as fuck. Sounds so dumb."

"How about Latine?"

[pause]

"That could work. It's less dumb sounding."

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Latine does seems like it would work better. Would flow more naturally.

And it is easier to create a rule that sounds phonetically correct. Gender normally is set my the last vowel of a word. You can easily replace it with an "e" and the word does not suffer from sounding impossible. (Hermoses instead of "hermosxs" —> unpronounceable)

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so because it happened once a second time is fine?

I mean, if you want a more serious answer, what's it to you if Latinx-USian queer groups use it, and US media as a whole recognizes it and uses it in conversations within our country? Regional differences in Spanish exist even within Latin America and nobody's policing those; why does this one specific thing upset you?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

It originated with US academics who didn't like the existing Latin@ as an inclusive term.

It's very '90s in that way.

Inclusive alternatives do exist: Latine and Latin@.

Why not just say Latin American?

Yeah, the only people who can do that are the Europeans 400 years ago.

You're acting like current Latin Americans are all natives of America when we're as descended from the Europeans that came to Latin America's shores as we are to said natives. We're all mixed to some degree or other.

Last edited:

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Latin is NOT spanish. Latinx, Latine or Latin@ are all usable to me.
Latinx is not spanish either. Latin is just easier to pronounce and how the fuck do you pronounce Latin@? latinoarroba? Latine is fine too but I personally prefer Latin and there is nothing wrong with it that makes it worse to "latinx".

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And it is easier to create a rule that sounds phonetically correct. Gender normally is set my the last vowel of a word. You can easily replace it with an "e" and the word does not suffer from sounding impossible. (Hermoses instead of "hermosxs" —> unpronounceable)
In my community the reaction has always generally been "Latinx? That's dumb as fuck. Sounds so dumb."

"How about Latine?"

[pause]

"That could work. It's less dumb sounding."

Latine sounds way better, yeah.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be the first to admit that I am adjusting to this pronoun concept even as a progressive person. But just to be clear.. doctor and architect have no gender as is so you wouldn't make this change. Even in Spanish I don't remember there even being a male-specific gendered version of doctors as they use doctores.

I've heard doctora for sure; but it's not just those two. Cashier? Cajerx. Ambassador? Embajadxr; Surgeon? Cirujanx.

An alternate way of doing it is using the E instead of O or A, and it's much easier to pronounce. Cajere, Embajader, Cirujane.

Status
Not open for further replies.