• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
South of El Rio Bravo, I have never heard the term latino in the context of talking about the people from Ibero America. We normally say Boliviano, Peruana, Salvadoreño, etc. when appropriate. Latino is only used in the context of estadounidenses referring to people within such ancestry.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
"What is clear from our research is that the appeal of "Latinx" is extremely limited. In fact, it did not register above 3% as a preferred term among any geographic, income, education, or age subgroup we tested. Paradoxically, ad agencies and political campaigns that believe they are being trendy by using the term may be alienating or confusing the voters and consumers with whom they are attempting to build meaningful connections."
My guess is this happens because the Latinos they have the most interaction with are those in American academia. Non-Latinos see them using Latinx and assume its the best word to use for general cases.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers: Vast majority of basically anyone speaking any language isn't going to use gender neutral language... almost like that's part of the whole issue that non binary people face.

As someone who is not Spanish speaking, this definitely seems like entirely the whole point and I'm disappointed it's going over people's heads.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Latino and I really dislike the word "Latinx" cause it doesn't work in spanish at all. I've heard "Latine" as an alternative and find that much better.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
I'm all for inclusive language but why the fuck do people include an X when that's the least fucking Spanish thing possible.

Latine makes so much more sense.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
As a Hispanic man, this thread really pisses me off.

A bunch of cishets who are outraged by a term meant to be inclusive to people who are traditionally shit on by the cultures they grow up in.

Don't want to use it to refer to yourself? Don't. That choice should be extended to everyone. Goddamn.

"I don't like this because it's different, let's stick to the status quo. Fuck all the people who are being ignored and mistreated by the status quo."

Don't make assumptions. Some of us annoyed with the term aren't cis.

We already have a gender-inclusive term to use in English. Latin American.

Feb 1, 2018
All my chicano/mexican-american friends make fun of it

I'm personally not against it though, it's always great to have a gender-neutral option

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Latinx is just more (cultural) imperialism by the usual suspect, the USA.

Instead of despoiling the soil of Latin America with blood spilled by right-wing death squads and American-bought arms, now the liberals of America attempt to rewrite someone else's language to conform to their own ivory tower ideals to be "morally correct."

Is the United States the most arrogant country ever?

This is literally nonsense, this wasn't created by the United States, it was created by Gender Non Binary folk looking to find a way to identify themselves in their culture. This wasn't invented by fucking white liberals

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the X does seem like it was added by people that speak the language but don't understand it.

Another thing. X usually represents the Unknown. That seems kind of insulting to people they do not have a gender or are NB. Like if they're searching for one or some shit.

Latine makes more sense

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm part of the 2% then!

It's way more gender inclusive and I despise how gendered Spanish is as a language. Not a fan of how Latin sounds, either. Latinx sounds cool
Count me in as part of the 2%. I adopted the term after being told several women that latinxs empowers them and makes them feel like a part of the group rather than an afterthought. I think the disconnect is between Latinx-Americans and native Spanish speaking people since i've only really heard non-americans complain about the use of the term.

Oct 27, 2017
Then why perpetuate the idea that anyone who uses those terms is not actually Latino? Not saying you are doing that, but so many people in this thread are erasing Latinos because of this and it's frustrating as all hell. I'm more than willing to have a conversation about the best way to tackle this in our language, but being called a Becky and being thrown out of the room in the first place is like... what the hell? Can only Latinos who hate the word Latinx even get a chance to say anything?
I think this just speaks of the difference between Latin people in the US and those still in their native country, and just shows how Latine came to be despite Latinx existing.While those in the US adopted the latinxs because they are surrounded by english speakers and wanted to be as inclusive as possible, those in latin america adopted latine because they only have to worry about being inclusive for latinos, so for those using Latine, latinx just comes across as foreign

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once again most of the people posting in this thread is why many nonbinary and queer people feel uncomfortable speaking up

It's nice to read the other words that are used for inclusion so thank you to those people vs the complete toxicity exuding from most people

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not surprising. Progress takes time. Even if I think it sounds weird now, it's possible it will become more mainstream later.

Navigating gender in gendered languages is going to be a challenge regardless.
Progress also has some dead ends. People can say a term sounds stupid but it doesn't mean they hate the progress Finding something everyone can accept is easy if the people that like Latinx aren't stubborn

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
The latinx shit is really stupid. It's just a product of the projection white people tend to make.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Ustedes pelean por las cosas mas mierdas algunas veces , es una fucking palabra , porque la gente se molesta tanto? no hay problema en usarla si alguien se identifica con eso.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
As a Spanish speaking Latino... yeah. It's just so hard to pronounce and it's really not a big deal for 99% of Latinos. Language has to be user friendly and adding a consonant at the end after another consonant ain't it.

I get the need for a more gender neutral language, especially Spanish, but Latine or just saying Latino and Latina is probably more useful.

And this is weirdly something I see more in America than in the Spanish speaking internet (understandable because Latinos outside the US rarely use Latino to refer to themselves).

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh fair enough, since you specifically referenced ninos/ninas then went to English words for the others I wasn't sure that you meant in Spanish specifically (so I was a little confused). I think doctores is surely gender neutral to the extent you'd use it when men and women were together in a group, yes? I like the idea of just always using the e instead -- that seems like a good compromise as it would certainly translate to being used much easier.

"Doctores" is gendered male, lol. That's touching on the broader patriarchal issue that the male word is the default way of thinking for a lot of these things, and that creates a lot of sexist attitudes that are literally woven into the language. It's an issue for trans and nonbinary people, as well as many cis people (particularly women) who have to fight gender roles with every sentence.

That's one reason why the gendered nature of Spanish is becoming increasingly out of touch with modern progressive society. I don't think adding an x solves the issue, but I understand that people first and foremost want a pronoun they can identify with before we get around to rewriting all of Spanish.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
THIS

being honest the reject for this word, im almost 100% sure is funded on the machismo and homphobia of latin american culture.

*shrugs*

I'm sure that's the case for some.

For my wife, her sisters, and her family on both her Dominican and Honduran sides, it's more about the fact that Spanish is completely entrenched as a gendered language, and so changing the word for a collective group of people seems like a pointless thing to do with little to no lasting effect.

It's a gendered language. It's impossible to speak Spanish in any capacity while remaining gender neutral.

If being called Latino or Latina is enough to cause distress in someone, then they are going to have an awfully difficult time navigating the language, which, once again, is gendered to the core. It's not just a case of substituting a newer progressive word over another — you need to fundamentally change the language at its roots if you want to achieve some sort of gender neutrality.

That being said, if people feel better being called Latinx, I oblige them—it makes no difference to me. I just don't expect it to catch on outside of woke pockets of the internet, and am not surprised when the Latino community largely rejects the term.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like these always leave me confused. It's not something I plan on using personally as a descriptor. I also have no plans to correct someone else even if I think it sounds silly to say out loud(not what it represents is silly). That said, I'm also raising a daughter I've been teaching spanish to have had full intentions to get a tutor for her while she's young so she doesn't eat her S' like I do. So I struggle a bit to reconcile my desire to teach my daughter spanish how I'm used to/prefer and then be mindful of this topic as a whole.

Like what's the desire way to do this? Teach spanish first and then provide added context when she's much older to understand it? Idk what else makes sense.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mixed (dad's second gen Mexican-American), I don't speak Spanish, and I'm non-binary. If you want to call me latino, fine. Call me latina? Also fine. I'm going to call myself latinx though and if that pisses you off then I should what, fuck off out of my own cultural identity?

Willing to bet most people would be fine with Latine

English speakers aren't even fucking fine with "they". Non-binary/gender neutral pronouns will ALWAYS get pushback because it seems so not normal to most people.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mixed (dad's second gen Mexican-American), I don't speak Spanish, and I'm non-binary. If you want to call me latino, fine. Call me latina? Also fine. I'm going to call myself latinx though and if that pisses you off then I should what, fuck off out of my own cultural identity?

Apparently according to this thread you aren't part of the culture.... you're just American or something lol

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

English speakers aren't even fucking fine with "they". Non-binary/gender neutral pronouns will ALWAYS get pushback because it seems so not normal to most people.

And yet in this thread there are multiple people saying that LatinX is dumb but they would okay with Latine.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No, just pointing out the origin was definitely from the United States, a correction to your point here: "This is literally nonsense, this wasn't created by the United States.."

As in by the US government or the dominant culture group in the US....
The post I was replying too was literally going off on fucking foreign policy, white liberals and the the arrogance of the United States as a country.... Those aren't the groups that crafted this term.

Status
Not open for further replies.