• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
I'm latino and I don't like the word and no latino I know would use it to describe themselves.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always thought it was really presumptuous for English speakers to try to replace the words Latino/a for their own version. Insulting even. So yeah, not surprised, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
think about it, someone proud of being latino/latina won't use latinx which has no root in any latin language, its an american word

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im offended by the Beckys trying to push it here on Era

Ill let my culture determine how we identify ourselves

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe this is a US based study? I see the o/a -> x shift in my circle of friends very, very often back in Latin America. I remember as far back as 2007/2008 people in Costa Rica would change stuff like "amigos" to "amigx" or stuff like that.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Always thought it was really presumptuous for English speakers to try to replace the words Latino/a for their own version. Insulting even. So yeah, not surprised, lol.
presumptuous very much so, but I appreciated the effort even tho I just think of the X-Men when I hear it spoken out loud.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
wow, yeah it's so corny trying to be gender neutral huh

black trans folks ofen don't live past their mid 30s these days but lol pronouns am i right

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I knew about it from native speakers years before I ever saw it used in the US.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I used Latinx in a OT and everyone was like WHAT'S A LATINX?

I thought it was the safe way of saying Latino but I guess not.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

how do you know this was started by English speakers? Seems like you are just assuming unless you have proof.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow, yeah it's so corny trying to be gender neutral huh

black trans folks ofen don't live past their mid 30s these days but lol pronouns am i right

Yeah I dont know why people are saying this is a problem that doesnt exist. I have multiple trans/gender queer latinx friends that use it. But for people who dont want it to be used to refer to them i dont mind saying something different

I would like some more perspective from people here but framing this as just a dumb word Americans made up seems to be in the same vein as the pronoun debate in general

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
On the one side I'm Latino and cringe when I see it, on the other side though I know Latinos aren't exactly know for having an accepting view on LGBT issues. I don't know if trying to change how the language works will solve anything though.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of the 2% then!

It's way more gender inclusive and I despise how gendered Spanish is as a language. Not a fan of how Latin sounds, either. Latinx sounds cool

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
How is Latinx even pronounced in Spanish???

Either Latin-ex or Latinex

It's honestly not a great term. It works better in English than it does in Spanish. If you follow through logically and replace an X to make things gender neutral, you get in trouble really quick. How do you pronounce niñxs? doctorxs? architectxs?

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife is a Spanish teacher with her roots going back to Mexico.

How do you dismantle an entire language because of gender's turn of events?

Language is a set of rules that can and should absolutely change with the time. People have been trying to come up with solutions for decades. I had 2 teachers in highschool, 2004-era Latin America, and one was a very traidtional catholic from Spain that refused to even accept that gendered words were an issue. The other one was an Argentinian teacher that showed us options like adding o/a to certain words, changing the o/a to an e or with an @. Shit is complicated, and I don't bemoan people for trying to find a solution.

How is Latinx even pronounced in Spanish???

Latin-Ex. Easy peasy.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
It always seemed a bit weird to me but I'm not Latinx. How exactly do you even pronounce the word anyways?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Yeah I dont know why people are saying this is a problem that doesnt exist. I have multiple trans/gender queer latinx friends that use it. But for people who dont want it to be used to refer to them i dont mind saying something different

yeah, an actual alternative would be nice - no idea what beckys folks are on about, it's been used for quite some time by black and indigenous writers/activist etc

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and her family are Mexican-American and they hadn't heard of Latinx and when I mentioned it they all thought it was stupid. It's hard for something like this to catch on if only a few from the group themselves buy into it.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, an actual alternative would be nice - no idea what beckys folks are on about, it's been used for quite some time by black and indigenous writers/activist etc

Its Resetera, people are dense as fuck and love erasing the contirbutions of non-whites to the discourse.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I know people who are Laitno and gender neutral and prefer Latinx. But apparently they don't exist.

I'll use whatever people want me to use for them. I use Latino for general purposes and Latina for myself but I'm not gonna shit on what other people want to call themselves and make them feel invalid. If a space primarily uses Latinx, that's fine. If it doesn't, that's fine too.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im actually a guy and ive had people who dont even speak spanish try to tell me i cant call myself latino on this very board.

cmalex23

Avenger
Oct 10, 2018
Latino/Mexican/Chicano here.....I hate it. My wife who is also the same ethnicity hates it. It builds up my rage because of my own personal history with Chicano Studies. It also sounds more elitist.... like "I'm cool cause my label has an X in it" Especially when said in Spanish.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been saying it.

My source: living in a heavily latino community.

The only place is see that term used is Instagram and Twitter by online "celebrities".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is it came more from the LGBT english sphere and that "latin@" was the one that originated from spanish speakers. "Latin" seems to be by far the best english option to use just because you can pronounce it.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I'm pretty sure the first time I heard about was in an article where a native Spanish speaker was advocating for its use.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I use Latino and Hispanic interchangeably myself. Latinx, to me, has always seemed like an odd solution to a relatively minor problem.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was pronouncing it as Latin-X (So:ˈlætɪn ɛks )

Or is people reading it similarly to jinx: Latinx (ˈlætɪnks)

The first one sounds cooler imo.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You'd probably get a similar poll result about English gender neutral terms too you know... Singular they, etc.... In as much as surprise most people who don't have to think about gender neutrality don't think about gender neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.