• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you want a more serious answer, what's it to you if Latinx-USian queer groups use it, and US media as a whole recognizes it and uses it in conversations within our country? Regional differences in Spanish exist even within Latin America and nobody's policing those; why does this one specific thing upset you?
the word is designed for english speakers, having a word to describe latin people be changed n order to please english speakers is weird, especially when people "correct" you for using latino/latina. Then there's the fact that Latine exists and actually sounds like something meant for latin people.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Latinx is just more (cultural) imperialism by the usual suspect, the USA.

Instead of despoiling the soil of Latin America with blood spilled by right-wing death squads and American-bought arms, now the liberals of America attempt to rewrite someone else's language to conform to their own ivory tower ideals to be "morally correct."

Is the United States the most arrogant country ever?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
You heard it from them first, Spanish-speaking Americans. How you dictate your own language you grew up with doesn't matter.

It's like I'm reading the conspiracy that homosexuality was created by white men to make black men effeminate

What is this nonsense coming from a so called progressive site?
Yes, because there's nothing more progressive than to be lectured by people who are by and large monocultural and monolingual.

You're also ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Spanish-speaking Americans don't choose to use gender-neutral language, either.

In Puerto Rico, the only place you would see Latinx and the like is in Universities. And even then, it's only a small subset of students.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the word is designed for english speakers, having a word to describe latin people be changed n order to please english speakers is weird, especially when people "correct" you for using latino/latina. Then there's the fact that Latine exists and actually sounds like something meant for latin people.

cabron, hay gente latina que habla español se identifica como latinx, y sales con que es para "english speakers".

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Now that I think about it, how do spanish speakers refer to non-binary people? For example boy and girl would be el chico, la chica or professor would be el profesor, la profesora. How would you refer to them in spanish if the person is non-binary?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
It's not something anybody is forcing you to use to identify yourself as. It's something a community grappling with their experience has adopted to describe their unique perspectives on the world.

The "stop pushing it on me" and "I don't know what this is how can it be anything other than a crass fabrication?" takes that continue to roll in after several lengthy explanations just reeks of bigoted gatekeeping for no good reason. Don't want to use it for yourself? Fine. Someone else adopts it, fine also. Don't tell other people their experiences are invalid, invent conspiracy theories about how a word is imperialist overreach and don't participate in cultural erasure just because it's unfamiliar to you.

This isn't even remotely hard. Just exercise some emotional maturity.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ay, muy chingon con tu cabron, there are some latinos using the word doesn't change the fact that its a word made so english speakers can use it

y que importa eso cuando hay gente latina usandola??? estan mal por usarla? porqe fue creada para english speakers?

they adopted it, they use it.

why do you see a problem with that?

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
My wife and all of her family are either Dominican or Honduran, and I've heard most of them loudly reject Latinx at one time or another.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not something anybody is forcing you to use to identify yourself as. It's something a community grappling with their experience has adopted to describe their unique perspectives on the world.

The "stop pushing it on me" and "I don't know what this is how can it be anything other than a crass fabrication?" takes that continue to roll in after several lengthy explanations just reeks of bigoted gatekeeping for no good reason. Don't want to use it for yourself? Fine. Someone else adopts it, fine also. Don't tell other people their experiences are invalid, invent conspiracy theories about how a word is imperialist overreach and don't participate in cultural erasure just because it's unfamiliar to you.

This isn't even remotely hard. Just exercise some emotional maturity.
They're not being forced to use it, but it is being used to describe them or group them. That's the fundamental difference between this and everything else being mentioned as a comparison point here. This isn't an opt-in, it's a label.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda suspected this, latinx always struck me as overly artificial. Latine makes more sense grammatically.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question how far away are we from an accusation that the whole idea of Gender Non Binary is American Imperialism?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard doctora for sure; but it's not just those two. Cashier? Cajerx. Ambassador? Embajadxr; Surgeon? Cirujanx.

An alternate way of doing it is using the E instead of O or A, and it's much easier to pronounce. Cajere, Embajader, Cirujane.

that does read and speak a lot more naturally to me. the other positive of this is that it is more of a true neutral than a variable x that you are sort of expected to fill with a binary 'o' or 'a'

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
They're not being forced to use it, but it is being used to describe them or group them. That's the fundamental difference between this and everything else being mentioned as a comparison point here. This isn't an opt-in, it's a label.
People ignored "Latino" and "Hispanic" and "Chicano" and "- American" without breaking too much of a sweat.
Ignore this also if it really bothers you. Just don't casually toss aside the already marginalized group asking for its recognition as something that represents them.

Oct 27, 2017
y que importa eso cuando hay gente latina usandola??? estan mal por usarla? porqe fue creada para english speakers?

they adopted it, they use it.

why do you see a problem with that?
I think americans have taken enough from Mexico and latin countries to the point that even something this small and silly pisses me off, but like I said If someone wants to use the word I will never correct them and If they want to be adressed that way I will

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
As a Hispanic man, this thread really pisses me off.

A bunch of cishets who are outraged by a term meant to be inclusive to people who are traditionally shit on by the cultures they grow up in.

Don't want to use it to refer to yourself? Don't. That choice should be extended to everyone. Goddamn.

"I don't like this because it's different, let's stick to the status quo. Fuck all the people who are being ignored and mistreated by the status quo."

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People also ignored "Latino" and "Hispanic" and "Chicano" and "- American" without breaking too much of a sweat.
Ignore this also if it really bothers you. Just don't casually toss aside the already marginalized group asking for its recognition as something that represents them.
I've heard plenty of people take umbrage over those labels in the past. I'm not sure why it's okay to suggest that 98% need to "get over it" when it's a very complicated issue. I don't think that means they're "casually tossing aside a marginalized group".

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
cabron, hay gente latina que habla español se identifica como latinx, y sales con que es para "english speakers".
Qué porciento de la población hispanohablante usa "latinx" o tan siquiera sabe qué es "latinx" en primer lugar? Respeto todo hispanohablante que decida identificarse o usar tales términos, pero el problema es cuando la cultura popular estadounidense decide de manera colectiva que esa es la manera única y correcta de usar el lenguaje español, lo cual es lo que está sucediendo en este caso.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I think americans have taken enough from Mexico and latin countries to the point that even something this small and silly pisses me off, but like I said If someone wants to use the word I will never correct them and If they want to be adressed that way I will
Then why perpetuate the idea that anyone who uses those terms is not actually Latino? Not saying you are doing that, but so many people in this thread are erasing Latinos because of this and it's frustrating as all hell. I'm more than willing to have a conversation about the best way to tackle this in our language, but being called a Becky and being thrown out of the room in the first place is like... what the hell? Can only Latinos who hate the word Latinx even get a chance to say anything?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a Hispanic man, this thread really pisses me off.

A bunch of cishets who are outraged by a term meant to be inclusive to people who are traditionally shit on by the cultures they grow up in.

Don't want to use it to refer to yourself? Don't. That choice should be extended to everyone. Goddamn.

"I don't like this because it's different, let's stick to the status quo. Fuck all the people who are being ignored and mistreated by the status quo."

THIS

being honest the reject for this word, im almost 100% sure is funded on the machismo and homphobia of latin american culture.

*shrugs*

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard plenty of people take umbrage over those labels in the past. I'm not sure why it's okay to suggest that 98% need to "get over it" when it's a very complicated issue. I don't think that means they're "casually tossing aside a marginalized group".
The people lobbing, without evidence, that this is white americans forcing something on a cultural whole, and all the concern trolling about its pronunciation are the people I'm specifically talking about. These are not real concerns and are super easy to get over.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This is flawed since it asks what individuals prefer being called versus what individuals believe is the best acceptable collective wording.

One real example is that a Dominican-American woman might prefer herself to be referred to as black or Dominican, but she could understand that the collective inclusive wording should be Latinx

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
In English the word is perfectly fine but like many people have said it's sounds awful in Spanish. I'm glad to see people saying that using E should be the correct way to use it in spanish. It just makes sense and sounds nicer. Of course if you are speaking in English I agree that Latinx is better.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because there's nothing more progressive than to be lectured by people who are by and large monocultural and monolingual.

You're also ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Spanish-speaking Americans don't choose to use gender-neutral language, either.

In Puerto Rico, the only place you would see Latinx and the like is in Universities. And even then, it's only a small subset of students.

Spoilers: Vast majority of basically anyone speaking any language isn't going to use gender neutral language... almost like that's part of the whole issue that non binary people face.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The people lobbing, without evidence, that this is white americans forcing something on a cultural whole, and all the concern trolling about its pronunciation are the people I'm specifically talking about. These are not real concerns and are super easy to get over.
Oh, that's fair, yeah. I think arguing who invented or pushed this terminology is a meaningless fight.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This is flawed since it asks what individuals prefer being called versus what individuals believe is a the best acceptable collective wording.
Yes, this is a huge difference.

I call myself Latina. That doesn't mean I'm against other people calling themselves Latinx or using Latinx for describe a particular collective.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Doctor and Doctora are definitely gendered titles people use. "Doctores" and "doctoras" for plural form, too.

Arquitecto is gendered male. Arquitecta female.

Nothing escapes the wrath of this cursed language
Ahh fair enough, since you specifically referenced ninos/ninas then went to English words for the others I wasn't sure that you meant in Spanish specifically (so I was a little confused). I think doctores is surely gender neutral to the extent you'd use it when men and women were together in a group, yes? I like the idea of just always using the e instead -- that seems like a good compromise as it would certainly translate to being used much easier.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1*k3AeN8VHSRvsdMleB53gvw.png

The article breaks down what people prefer according to their polling. Latinx was the least popular among US Hispanics.

"We presented our respondents with seven of the most common terms used to describe Latinos and asked them to select the one that best describes them. When it came to "Latinx," there was near unanimity. Despite its usage by academics and cultural influencers, 98% of Latinos prefer other terms to describe their ethnicity. Only 2% of our respondents said the label accurately describes them, making it the least popular ethnic label among Latinos. "

"What is clear from our research is that the appeal of "Latinx" is extremely limited. In fact, it did not register above 3% as a preferred term among any geographic, income, education, or age subgroup we tested. Paradoxically, ad agencies and political campaigns that believe they are being trendy by using the term may be alienating or confusing the voters and consumers with whom they are attempting to build meaningful connections."

I wonder if the term "Latine" would have polled better. Seems like a good compromise.

Dec 31, 2017
This is not surprising. Progress takes time. Even if I think it sounds weird now, it's possible it will become more mainstream later.

Navigating gender in gendered languages is going to be a challenge regardless.

squallmx

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory and hostile commentary
what.......

im a fucking native spanish user. and its not "almost impossible"

que pedo contigo?

Way more harder to pronounce than the alternative, imposible is some cases like Doctorxs, totally unatural for the spanish language, classic invention of white people or self hating latinos.

Using E is a little more reasonable. But lets be honest your abuela is never going to say mije o mijx.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Way more harder to pronounce than the alternative, imposible is some cases like Doctorxs, totally unatural for the spanish language, classic invention of white people or self hating latinos.

Using E is a little more reasonable. But lets be honest your abuela is never going to say mije o mijx.

lol Doctorxs se pronuncia literalmente igual qe Doctores.

Status
Not open for further replies.