• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
So because YOU never seen a single brown
I've had this discussion several times, including people of other Hispanic countries and even binary Hispanics and the universal consensus is that latinx is a fucking stupid term.

I am ok with latine though. That one makes sense within the context of the language.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Dominican here never heard that term ever, if someone ever addressed me that way I'll probably look at them sideways.

Personally find it dumb, but idc if others use it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do American Spanish speakers not count for shit or something?

Spanish isn't monolithic and even among spanish speaking dialects in the Americas, there is enormous variation. The term "Latinx", suggested to be pronounced "latin-ecks" displays a huge slant towards US Spanish compared to, say, castillian spanish. Hence why people are pointing out how US centric the term is. You could pronounced "latinx" like 3 different ways and they'd all be "spanish" depending on where you are from.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's heart is in the right place but people are misleading themselves if they think its widespread. Only a VERY small subset of social justice minded people are using it. Not all of them latino/latina.

People also need to realize that a very large number of latinos/latinas (I'd even wager its a big majority) are very socially conservative.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is is used much outside of the internet and academia?

I never really encounter it but hear latino all the time.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Spanish isn't monolithic and even among spanish speaking dialects in the Americas, there is enormous variation. The term "Latinx", suggested to be pronounced "latin-ecks" displays a huge slant towards US Spanish compared to, say, castillian spanish. Hence why people are pointing out how US centric the term is. You could pronounced "latinx" like 3 different ways and they'd all be "spanish" depending on where you are from.

Who said it was monolithic but literally a shit ton of posts are acting like the term wasn't created by people within the community, that it's some white liberal American imperialism....

People aren't simply pointing out it's US centric they're acting like it's Imperialism at work

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"It's stupid, only white liberals use it"

*Numerous people attest to using it that are a part of the culture in question*

"So dumb, only white people use it"

tenor.gif

Let's not even bother to entertain the "I don't like it, non-binary people should use this word I prefer" takes.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling in a sensitive thread
But is it dumber than womxn?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Ending a word with an 'x' is not Spanish language friendly. IMHO, is fine to use in English, but don't be surprised if native Spanish speakers refuse to use it.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but if you don't speak spanish you shouldn't tell people what words they should use, even if you are latino. It is not about if you are latino but about a laguage you use every day. Latinx sounds really awkward and it's sort of hard to pronounce, especially if you have speech problems. This is why lots of spanish speakers here are sayin latin or latine is better.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have literally never seen the word outside of this forum. I don't even know how you're supposed to say it, but it looks like I don't need to bother.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm a white guy so there's not really too much I can really add or say but most people I know of Latin American heritage or origin use Hispanic to describe themselves and I've personally only heard Latinx be used on college campuses or very specific events

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who said it was monolithic but literally a shit ton of posts are acting like the term wasn't created by people within the community, that it's some white liberal American imperialism....

People aren't simply pointing out it's US centric they're acting like it's Imperialism at work

The post you replied to never once said anything about white people, it was, word for word:

Latinx is just more (cultural) imperialism by the usual suspect, the USA.

Instead of despoiling the soil of Latin America with blood spilled by right-wing death squads and American-bought arms, now the liberals of America attempt to rewrite someone else's language to conform to their own ivory tower ideals to be "morally correct."

Is the United States the most arrogant country ever?

YOU replied calling it garbage, and YOU brought up White People to that poster.

Believe it or not, hispanics in the US, still count as the US.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I proudly acknowledge Latinx. Anything that includes non-binary folk makes me happy.

Quote my user name if you want, idgaf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Latino/Latina term does suck because of it's exclusive but latinx doesn't sound organic. You have to make the term fit with the language.

Like I've said before, Latin American works in English so English-speakers should not really be using Latinx since we already have a gender-inclusive term.

Now where it gets tricky is people who are primarily Spanish-speakers. I think that's where you do have to make up a word but again Latinx doesn't sound natural at all. It has to fit the language hence why something like Latine works way better.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's stupid, only white liberals use it"

*Numerous people attest to using it that are a part of the culture in question*

"So dumb, only white people use it"

tenor.gif

Let's not even bother to entertain the "I don't like it, non-binary people should use this word I prefer" takes.

It's insane. The repeated insistence that this is a "white issue" is insane and just serves to silence non-binary voices.

Gah! I just made a thread about this!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
i imagine most respondents view themselves as o/a. Not to mention, the language inherently applies gender to things that don't have one. Also when generalizing.

It seems odd to me to deconstruct the entire language for this purpose. I don't see what's so hard with the understanding that o and a both can apply to males, females, and gender neutral depending on the context.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's so hard with the understanding that o and a both can apply to males, females, and gender neutral depending on the context.

Because it actually manifests in tangible, problematic ways. There is inherent bias in gendered languages when multiple translations are applied. The same sentence becomes radically different when translations are applied multiple times if just the gender of the subject changes, that are very harmful. The classic example, "he is a doctor, she is a nurse" for the same sentence.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
YOU replied calling it garbage, and YOU brought up White People to that poster.

Believe it or not, hispanics in the US, still count as the US.

Right because American liberals isn't a thinly veiled, "someone else's language", cultural imperialism, etc...

Come on. Though fine it's even worse if that post acknowledges who invented the term and still considers it American arrogance and Imperialism. It's one thing if the person thinks white liberals made it up it's another thing entirely if they know they didn't and still consider it an act of fucking American Imperalism

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Because it actually manifests in tangible, problematic ways. There is inherent bias in gendered languages when multiple translations are applied. The same sentence becomes radically different when translations are applied multiple times if just the gender of the subject changes, that are very harmful. The classic example, "he is a doctor, she is a nurse" for the same sentence.

Thanks for responding.

So to be clear, your saying the problem presents itself when a Spanish sentence is translated into another language?

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
It's fine for addressing groups. It doesn't need to replace latina/latino when addressing yourself if you don't want it to, I don't think anyone is advocating that except for maybe a few extreme cases specifically online.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Im actually a guy and ive had people who dont even speak spanish try to tell me i cant call myself latino on this very board.

That sounds infuriating.

I'm in the camp that can appreciate that the term has value as a gender neutral pronoun, but please don't tell me that we have to abolish Latino/a in favor of it. Especially if you're not Latin/o/a/x.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I mostly see this used online when people self-identify in bios and such. Usually hear Latino/a or people. Mostly people use the country of their roots when describing themselves , " I'm Mexican, Puerto Rican, Colombian..."

No harm in people using it or asking others to refer to them with that term.
However, I don't like when someone identifies as "latino/a" and are then told " no you're latinx" , which admittedly doesn't happen often but when it does.. yea don't do that

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was created in academics as a primarily visual element in published material. It's representative of the math variable "x" and probably wasn't meant originally to be pronounced out loud at all. In my Spanish classes in college we discussed using "e" as a suffix more heavily, but grad school the x suffix was used primarily as the title for the Latinx Studies program which has roots in cultural theory. Generally speaking these decisions were being made exclusively by Spanish-speaking scholars. I also knew some professors who just used the "a" suffix as the default instead of the "o" which is more typically patriarchal.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for responding.

So to be clear, your saying the problem presents itself when a Spanish sentence is translated into another language?

Or the opposite, occasionally. This is actually a big problem inherent to the language, and not just spanish but all gendered languages.

What is actually happening is that you're seeing a lossy conversion. Spanish actually carries more information per unit of language than in english, when you translate from spanish to english, you automatically lose some of the information conveyed. Like all lossy conversions, trying to then go back the other way means interpolating information where there is none present. This became a huge deal regarding google translate:

gender-before-after.max-1000x1000.jpg

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds infuriating.

I'm in the camp that can appreciate that the term has value as a gender neutral pronoun, but please don't tell me that we have to abolish Latino/a in favor of it. Especially if you're not Latin/o/a/x.

Is anyone actually saying this though? As far as I know it's just people like me (that is, latin american heritage and non-binary) want it to be seen as a valid term for our identity. He is Latino, she is Latina, they are Latinx/Latine.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not surprised. My girlfriend, who's from PR and also way more in-tune with social issues than I am is not a fan of the term, to say the least.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this why I sometimes see folx on here instead of folks?

Are we at the point where we tell people to change their languages? Good luck changing all those heavily gendered languages

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem using Latinx if it's what someone prefers, but I feel Latine works so much better, especially when speaking spanish.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Monica Castillo and Shea Serrano and other fellow latinx writers and journalists I follow use it so to me they are closer to the authority on the subject matter. Gonna continue using it.

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Always thought it was really presumptuous for English speakers to try to replace the words Latino/a for their own version. Insulting even. So yeah, not surprised, lol.

It's not so much about English speakers as it is Americans... they have this strange idea that they ought to be the world's moral compass, and it shows up no matter where on the political spectrum they are.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I only ever seen it used in my activist circles and at liberal leaning political events. I've never ever heard anyone outside this space use it, and it just feels like people are so out of touch. There's a reason the right weaponizes language, because they know they can use it to make others feel foreign to the left...

Not going to tell anyone what word to use. Someone's made the case for "latine" because it aligns more with south american language, which is pretty neat.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right because American liberals isn't a thinly veiled, "someone else's language", cultural imperialism, etc...

Come on. Though fine it's even worse if that post acknowledges who invented the term and still considers it American arrogance and Imperialism. It's one thing if the person thinks white liberals made it up it's another thing entirely if they know they didn't and still consider it an act of fucking American Imperalism

I'm not being insulting here, but it honestly sounds like you have very, very little experience with this subject. I talk to people from other spanish speaking languages, in spanish. The idea of cultural imperialism from US hispanics is a big subject among latinos from other countries. Like, Tejano music is understood to be US appropriation of Norteno music, despite it all being Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.