• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible for anyone who might read this thread who identifies as Latinx...

Non-binary words are important to a lot of people and are thankfully.becoming more common in languages where they don't exist, English has Mx/Mxs and Xe/Xr, why can't other languages do the same? Things change, I'm sure everyone here has learned a new word in their life, what makes this any different?

Because my comfort as the majority takes precedence over treating you as you would like to be treated.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Non-binary words are important to a lot of people and are thankfully.becoming more common in languages where they don't exist, English has Mx/Mxs and Xe/Xr, why can't other languages do the same? Things change, I'm sure everyone here has learned a new word in their life, what makes this any different?
This is honestly the first time I have ever seen any of those, let alone heard them.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Monolingual English speakers telling often bilingual Spanish speakers what to do. What else is new?

As a bilingual Spanish speaker I'm seeing less of that than I am seeing people requesting something and being told they are wrong for asking and they may as well be a white liberal American. Which is the dirtiest slur they can get away with without being moderated, I guess.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory and hostile commentary, accumulated infractions
Stop giving coverage to this stupid ass useless word and let it die. My entire family is Latinos from all over the world and we've never once used "Latinx"

Latino is already a gender neutral word, and some people just say Latin too. Fuck the colonizers that came up with "Latinx"

Honestly, if I ever meet anyone saying "Latinx", I'm gonna laugh in their face and never waste my time with that person again

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
Not liking latinx doesn't = transphobia.

Latinx is a U.S. centric term that is used by English speaking people. (and there is nothing wrong with that)
Just don't try to force it on the rest of the Spanish speakers in North and South America.

Like others have posted, latine is the more commonly AND accepted term in Latin America.

Oct 31, 2017
Not a Spanish speaker but the people in here complaining about Latinx and calling people who use it "Beckys" are clowns IMO. There's a reason why it's used. Could there be a less awkward sounding term? Sure. But stop complaining about a meaningful change.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ saying colonizer are the inventors and champions of the word latinx.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

"My family/city/community doesn't say it." Well, how progressive is your family/city/community?

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Stop giving coverage to this stupid ass useless word and let it die. My entire family is Latinos from all over the world and we've never once used "Latinx"

Latino is already a gender neutral word, and some people just say Latin too. Fuck the colonizers that came up with "Latinx"

THE STATUS QUO MUST BE MAINTAINED!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Sorta, but it's more a problem of lost information inherent to the language. The translation is "incorrect," because it becomes impossible to restore the original interpretation. It's not really an incorrect translation, those are about the most correct translations you can get from the limited information conveyed (in that, both "he is a doctor" and "she is a doctor" are both correct, even though neither are what the original sentence actually said -- it's more like "person is a doctor"). It's the languages themselves that truncate the information that used to be inherent to the sentence. An original spanish sentence can convey more information than an english sentence could, and thus when you tried to translate the english sentence back into spanish, there outright wouldn't be information to be translated in the first place.

Now, the attempt to solve this inherent lack of information is where the awful bias really shows it's head, you're right. I.e. "doctors are usually male." That's ultimately where the "he is a doctor" translation occurs, because the original turkish sentence in that case never said "he" or "she" in the first place.

See to me, the correct translation is "this person is a doctor" and generally I feel like it's typically easy to use context to tell if the speaker is making a gender specific statement or not.

But I'll just have to accept that this isn't the case where it counts .

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jennifer lopez es latino

SURE, gender neutral
You could just call her Latin seeing how Latin music, her genre, is referred to as, you know, Latin music. Or you could just call her Latina. Either way no one is ever going to say Latinx, it's a trash word. Latin already covers it all if you don't wanna say Latino or Latina

Oct 25, 2017
I must be missing something...why is this framed like "haha no one uses this"? Most people arent gender neutral/fluid so why wouldnt it be a small percentage?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You could just call her Latin seeing how Latin music, her genre, is referred to as, you know, Latin music. Or you could just call her Latina. Either way no one is ever going to say Latinx, it's a trash word

no no no

you said latino is a gender neutral word, why would i need to user other word?

JENNIFER LOPEZ ES LATINO

that's correct apparently.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
My sister's fiance is Venezuelan, one of best friends growing up is Colombian, and a friend from college is Argentinean. We are in Canada, and all three generally use the term "Spanish" or "Hispanic", the latter will occasionally use "Latina".

I don't know a ton of South American people but I've never heard the term Latinx from the three that I know.

I've never heard it used other than online myself. From San Francisco, California.

Personally, I prefer Latin/Latina/Latino to Hispanic/Spanish as I don't like the colonialist connotations. If my ancestors are Natives, Africans and Europeans, why would I singularly identify with Spain/Espana. Not mention that other European countries colonized throughout the Caribbean and South America.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, if I ever meet anyone saying "Latinx", I'm gonna laugh in their face and never waste my time with that person again

Glad to know you will laugh in nb faces because they are struggling with their identity.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Fundamentally gender non binary Latinix people trying to find their shit aren't your colonizers or your imperalizers.

Like to go from a group of Latinix people coming up with a word to explore gender non binary to you laughed at Andrew Yang for saying the US interfered with elections? Huh?
The term is infinitely more popular in American popular culture than in any Latin American country.

Can you not see how that would lead to the perception of cultural imperialism amongst a people whose recent history is defined by American imperialism?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Because my comfort as the majority takes precedence over treating you as you would like to be treated.
No, it doesn't. I'm not even Non-Binary, and if someone said "Yeah I'm *blank*" I'd be like "Okay cool, that's what I'll refer to your identity as".

They're not saying to call you Latinx, but to call them Latinx.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I must be missing something...why is this framed like "haha no one uses this"? Most people arent gender neutral/fluid so why wouldnt it be a small percentage?
Because 'Latine' tends to be preferred among Spanish speakers because it's easier to use in conversation than 'Latinx'.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

(I mean there's also the fact that the poll results are specifically focused in the US but we've still got all the colonizer talk which, admittedly, I'd be interesting in discussing in other contexts, but here is completely irrelevant to the data that led to the OP at least)

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
When it comes to expressions like this, you cannot hope that such expressions will transcend to all languages. Even if it only works in English it shouldn't disqualify it from being used in english. Just your example here is a good one, Latine in French is the literal feminine (female? not sure of the term to use here) version of Latin.

There could be looots of problems if you want to make all languages fit.

Yeah, you're right, trying to make gender neutral form work on every single language isn't possible, but at least latine works both on Spanish and English. Latinx just sounds so weird and inhuman in a way.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how the fuck are people pronouncing latinx, to say is DIFFICULT or almost impossible to do?

o.O

seriously?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread: Saying Latinx is for white people only and mocking it isn't transphobia

Also people in this thread: Latino is absolutely gender neutral and I will laugh in the face of any who are non-binary.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The term is infinitely more popular in American popular culture than in any Latin American country.

Can you not see how that would lead to the perception of cultural imperialism amongst a people whose recent history is defined by American imperialism?

If you want to go shit on idiot white liberals who try to dicate to you what to call yourself, have at it, that's not the issue here though, the issue here is the people who created and identify with the term are being white washed and erased and frankly utterly shit on and Non binary Latine folk have enough problems that putting all of US politics in Latin America on their back because some of them call themselves Latinix... is a bit aggro

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
There are alternatives like Latine which is easier to pronounce for Spanish speakers than Latinx.
Yeah my main problem with latinx is that it goes completely against what normal spanish pronunciation is like. Even saying "latineks" sounds weird as spanish doesnt normally use the "ks" sound, and even less as an end sound.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone actually saying this though? As far as I know it's just people like me (that is, latin american heritage and non-binary) want it to be seen as a valid term for our identity. He is Latino, she is Latina, they are Latinx/Latine.

Yes (the post I responded to seems to relate one instance, for example) but you're right in that it's not representative of the vast majority of proponents. Have no problem whatsoever with non-binary folks or anyone else using it because it better describes their identity.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah my main problem with latinx is that it goes completely against what normal spanish pronunciation is like. Even saying "latineks" sounds weird as spanish doesnt normally use the "ks" sound, and even less as an end sound.

havent you ever heard of Aleks Syntek?

im just half kidding

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Would they pronounce it ecks or would they pronounce it equis?

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
A better way would be to do what many words in English did and just choose one over the other rather than butchering the entire core of the language. For example, in English we don't say poetess anymore, we just say poet regardless of gender. Same for murderess and many other more ancient examples. Phasing out waitress, stewardess, etc. Is kinda slowly happening too. I don't think it's offensive to just say the "call the waiter" regardless of gender.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What? No they are people that have lived all their lives in America and speak mostly English in their daily lives.

I see sorry coming from a trans background, I'm conditioned to read "ed" in these kind of situations as inherently negative as folks use transgendered to imply it was something done to a trans person, so Americanized here read negative to me... especially in light of how much erasure really is happening here.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to know you will laugh in nb faces because they are struggling with their identity.
You failed miserably to group me with actual assholes. What's stopping anyone that is struggling with their identity from using the word Latin when it covers all? It's clear some people are confused how the word Latino is used, so why don't you just say Latin instead of trying to push something that is completely unnecessary and not actually ever used in anything to describe anyone? Any trans person, or any person that doesn't identify as male or female, and is Latin, is simply just Latin. "Latino" represents the culture as a whole, it's not a masculine thing at all unless a male is describing himself as a Latino, which is the only part that I suppose "is tricky." Latin girls I know do call themselves Latina, but not as often as just Latin.

I hope one day certain types of people on this forum stop jumping to conclusions about people they don't actually know shit about. You don't know me, so don't accuse me of shit you're not sure of.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
A better way would be to do what many words in English did and just choose one over the other rather than butchering the entire core of the language. For example, in English we don't say poetess anymore, we just say poet regardless of gender. Same for murderess and many other more ancient examples. Phasing out waitress, stewardess, etc. Is kinda slowly happening too. I don't think it's offensive to just say the "call the waiter" regardless of gender.
Mx, Mxs, Xe, Xer.

We still don't have a gender neutral Aunt/Uncle or Niece/Nephew.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
havent you ever heard of Aleks Syntek?

im just half kidding
You mean Alex short from Alejandro? Yeah, i know that, and even then it can be a bit hard to pronounce and that is with only 2 syllables. Ending a word with x is not confortable. Not saying I hate the word, just that whenever I read it or try to say that it doesnt sound good for me.

I also have problem with using the -e ending mainly because my second mother language uses "-es" for many femenine plural.

Would they pronounce it ecks or would they pronounce it equis?
x is phonetically "ks" -> examen is "eksamen"
Equis is how you say the letter. (Similar to W being "double U" in english)
Saying Latin-Equis, it would need to be Latin-X to clearly differentiate the letter (similar to Malcom X)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"this person is a doctor"

Well, I don't speak turkish so I don't know the intricacies of their language, but I do know a language where this kind of stuff hits HARD -- japanese. And in japanese, you can have sentences which really would translate into vague things like "person is a doctor" which would actually be different from "this person is a doctor." That sounds like nit-picking, but it's actually (a super frustrating) part of japanese where words like Kono (this) Sono (different kind of this), kore (yet a different kind of this), sore (once again, a different kind of this), ato (that), are (different kind of that), etc, are super specific words that are meant to be understood in the overall context of the conversation (like, this is hard to explain, but sometimes you'll have a different marker to indicate you're talking about a previous subject from a previous sentence, despite explicitly bringing up a new subject in your current sentence... and it can all be implicit! Not literally spoken at all!). And they really have absolutely direct translation in english, except to things like "this" and "that." It's the kind of information in language that just flat out doesn't exist in english, so when they get translated into english, that distinction gets lost.

For languages like that, where words like "this" or "that" have really deep grammatical significance, it makes producing 1:1 translations extremely difficult, which leads to loss of information, which lets grammatical bias emerge. It's actually a pretty fascinating subject.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You failed miserably to group me with actual assholes. What's stopping anyone that is struggling with their identity from using the word Latin when it covers all? It's clear some people are confused how the word Latino is used, so why don't you just say Latin instead of trying to push something that is completely unnecessary and not actually ever used in anything to describe anyone? Any trans person, or any person that doesn't identify as male or female, and is Latin, is simply just Latin. "Latino" represents the culture as a whole, it's not a masculine thing at all unless a male is describing himself as a Latino, which is the only part that I suppose "is tricky." Latin girls I know do call themselves Latina, but not as often as just Latin.

you dont get to dictate how the people call themselves, holy shit.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You mean Alex short from Alejandro? Yeah, i know that, and even then it can be a bit hard to pronounce and that is with only 2 syllables. Ending a word with x is not confortable.

x is phonetically "ks" -> examen is "eksamen"
Saying Latin-Equis, it would need to be Latin-X to clearly differentiate the letter (similar to Malcom X)
Equis is how you say the letter. (Similar to W being "double U" in english)

Oh that makes sense. It just suddenly struck me as presumptuous to think they'd automatically say ecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.