• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is not with incorporating anglicisms into Spanish, but that said anglicisms need to work with the way Spanish is phonetically written. Latinx is completely at odds with that aspect of the language.

This is why I'm a proponent of Latine, even if I believe it sounds just as corny.

it may be at "odds" but just as gender, language is fluid, the spanish that is speak now is not the same that was speak 500 years ago. not even a fucking little bit

i mean in my fucking life time we eliminated the CH and LL of the fucking alphabet.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
it may be at "odds" but just as gender, language is fluid, the spanish that is speak now is not the same that was speak 500 years ago. not even a fucking little bit

i mean in my fucking life time we eliminated the CH and LL of the fucking alphabet.
The ch and ll were eliminated as stand-alone letters, but that doesn't mean their pronunciation disappeared from the map.

In any case, what you propose is to have a more flexible grammar system like the one English has which, ultimately, falls down to preference. I personally like being able to read a word and knowing at first glance how you are supposed to say it, but there are trade-offs with having some modicum of standardisation. At least be glad that the RAE is nothing like the Académie française.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

Spanish has changed a lot, like all languages have, but it hasn't adopted a single English phoneme. It's easy to adopt foreign words, it's not easy to alter the phonology of the language. Spanish speakers struggle with clusters of consonants, same as Japanese speakers or maybe Italian speakers.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Latine
Latrina

The chances of hilarity are high, dont say I didnt warn you. Still a vast improvement over barbage Latinx.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is irrelevant for the example, durr.

And your post is a perfect example of what I was talking about. The people pushing back against Latinx aren't doing so because they disagree with anything you are saying. They are doing so because the word outright doesn't make sense. You can't see beyond your preconceived, incorrect notion that the people opposing the word are bigots, to understand their argument.

Again, the general acceptance of the term "latine" in this topic is proof of this, from the very same people who oppose the word "latinx."

like, the entire post flew past your head. You literally ignored it all. You very, very obviously did not read the post.
Nah, I read the post, that's why I disagreed with it.

Your example was disingenuous. It frames the motivation for using a different term as arbitrary. You wouldn't (and shouldn't) accept a comparison that framed the language objections as equivalent to boomers in the U.S. complaining about "politically terms" like chairperson instead of chairman, because it strips out of the conversation your actual concerns - ability to pronounce and the legacy of imperiarialism.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I read the post, that's why I disagreed with it.

Your example was disingenuous. It frames the motivation for using a different term as arbitrary. You wouldn't (and shouldn't) accept a comparison that framed the language objections as equivalent to boomers in the U.S. complaining about "politically terms" like chairperson instead of chairman, because it strips out of the conversation your actual concerns - ability to pronounce and the legacy of imperiarialism.

the motivation to use latinx over latine IS arbitrary.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
  • People should be free to refer to themselves as they are comfortable and that be respected
  • Latinx should be respected when people identify with it and wish to use it
  • It should not be forced as some universal overwrite for all Latin American people
  • Latine is fine/preferable for general use when it doesn't conflict with 1 or 2.
From reading the discussions it seems most people agree with the above?
That is correct.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spanish has changed a lot, like all languages have, but it hasn't adopted a single English phoneme. It's easy to adopt foreign words, it's not easy to alter the phonology of the language. Spanish speakers struggle with clusters of consonants, same as Japanese speakers or maybe Italian speakers.

americans cant pronounce the hard R for shit, but they still try

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
not surprising, its a stupid word that I bet was made up by Americans cause lord knows Americans love to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the motivation to use latinx over latine IS arbitrary.
Latine is not a pre-existing, widely accepted term in the U.S., as shown by the poll in the OP where it doesn't appear except grouped in the sub-1% other. So if you're using Latine as the "Seattle" in your comparison, not Latina/Latino, it's just a terrible comparison.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
americans cant pronounce the hard R for shit, but they still try

They try... when speaking Spanish, no one is telling them to use the hard R in English.

Why should the English 'x' be used in Spanish? Just because it sounds okay to English speakers?

"Latinx" was invented among English speakers, regardless of them being Latin American or not. US-Latinos, particularly those college aged, are predominantly English speakers. Of course they could incorporate "Latinx" with an Anglo 'x' pronunciation and not even realise why that does not make sense in Spanish.

That's why in Spanish-speaking countries, other alternatives have emerged, alternatives that fit with the language's phonology. Latine is one of them.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Latine is not a pre-existing, widely accepted term in the U.S., as shown by the poll in the OP where it doesn't appear except grouped in the sub-1% other. So if you're using Latine as the "Seattle" in your comparison, not Latina/Latino, it's just a terrible comparison.

The poll shows that Latinx also isn't a widely accepted term in the US.

And I drew no comparison to "latine" in my analogy at all.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The poll shows that Latinx also isn't a widely accepted term in the US.

And I drew no comparison to "latine" in my analogy at all.
Okay, so then your correction to me is nonsense, and your comparison was actually about Latinx vs. Latina/Latino. Which is why I originally said that the comparison to "Xiattle" is disingenuous, because when you make an analogy to an arbitrary, whimsical substitution, you make an implicit argument that the concerns of misgendered people are also arbitrary and whimsical.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Discussion seems to be going in circles now, so we think its time to close this thread.

I think this post by Kyuuji is a good summary of where most people in this thread seem to agree on.

• People should be free to refer to themselves as they are comfortable and that be respected
  • Latinx should be respected when people identify with it and wish to use it
  • It should not be forced as some universal overwrite for all Latin American people
  • Latine is fine/preferable for general use when it doesn't conflict with 1 or 2.
From reading the discussions it seems most people agree with the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.