• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what,

It's nice to see a Youtube celebrity actually face consequences for their actions for once. Seeing everyone drop support for him, seeing his fanbase immediately turn against him (look at /r/projared if you want a laugh), seeing his sub count evaporating, everything.

Hrs10

Jan 17, 2018
Portugal
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing allegations of under-age grooming and sexual misconduct.
I'm not defending the guy, since I don't know the whole story, but calling him a sexual predator sounds like killing an ant with a rocket launcher.

Did he really know their ages? Are they telling the truth?

For all we know, he was exchanging these pics with consenting adults. Morally not ok since he was married, but I've been seeing a lot of people demonizing him.

If this is true, the girls should just file legal action and let justice do it's thing instead of pouring gasoline all over this tyre fire.

If it's proven that he's guilty, then let him deal with the consequences.

I for one feel bad that he's probably going to lose his job over personal matters, and am still interested in following his channels, if he intends on continuing his work.

All of this being said, at the very least he was a dirtbag for the marriage issues.

Let's see how this all plays out.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hate to pile on since there's nothing new that I can say but it appears this guy probably ruined his career but more importantly needs professional help.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not defending the guy, since I don't know the whole story, but calling him a sexual predator sounds like killing an ant with a rocket launcher.

For all we know, he was exchanging these pics with consenting adults. Morally not ok since he was married, but I've been seeing a lot of people demonizing him.

If this is true, the girls should just file legal action and let justice do it's thing instead of pouring gasoline all over this tyre fire.

I for one feel bad that he's probably going to lose his job over personal matters, and am still interested in following his channels, if he intends on continuing his work.

All of this being said, at the very least he was a dirtbag for the marriage issues.

Like fucking clockwork.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I hate to pile on since there's nothing new that I can say but it appears this guy probably ruined his career but more importantly needs professional help.
Why does everyone need "help" when they do something shitty?
Not shitting on you, just dont get the logic, just a view point i've seen multiple times before

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

"I'm not defending the guy,

But..."

Come on now buddy. There is so much evidence. The people he has abused and manipulated have come forward with actual proof, the company he worked for underwent their own, separate investigation and concluded that he had done it, his wife has corroborated that he was doing it, not a single one of his friends is defending him and they've all publicly cut ties, he himself has not said a single thing to defend what he did.

This is the most clear cut a situation like this can be. And yet, you've still decided to defend the nonce.

How much evidence do you need exactly? What, specifically, would it take for you to stop defending him? And yes, that is what you're doing, don't be a coward and pretend you aren't.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why does everyone need "help" when they do something shitty?
Not shitting on you, just dont get the logic, just a view point i've seen multiple times before
I think someone needs help if they think it's okay to try and get naked photos of underaged people.

I should have clarified with that. Cheating on your spouse? Nah, you suck. But seeking naked photos of children? Yeah, I don't want you amongst society until you are squared away.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I think someone needs help if they think it's okay to try and get naked photos of underaged people.

I should have clarified with that. Cheating on your spouse? Nah, you suck. But seeking naked photos of children? Yeah, I don't want you amongst society until you are squared away.
I can see and respect that
Maybe I'm just too vindictive in that aspect

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
When Heidi tweets that even if she was the worst person in the world, Jared still owed her monogamy or divorce, what is that?
Seems there's a lot of cognitive dissonance involved. Marriage is more than monogamy, and when you play your hand, that you can be as terrible as you want and receive monogamy, well, no, you can't. I mean, monogamy is a vow. You break it, that's on you. It's not the only vow. You break one of those, there's the same consequences. Marriage isn't x% monogamy, 100-x% other vows. They're all the same.

And if you previously put monogamy on a pedestal while neglecting the rest, maybe it's not so much of a surprise for your spouse to be extra tempted to knock that pedestal down on the way out. It's a bit precious to be claiming that you wanted to get divorced and then fuck someone else and that makes you better. Because here's the thing— a hyperfocus on monogamy or divorce is a tell. It's a tell that if there's someone else you'd really rather be with, in the back of your mind you have the ability to give up the person you married for that crush because you're monogamous and that's the right thing to do. Simply put, being able to be monogamous is not sufficient for a marriage.

I'm not saying people should be non-monogamous. I'm saying if all you have to offer is monogamy, then you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy and the only question is how consciously it is you're doing it.

EDIT: obviously knowing someone is underage and soliciting anything sexual from them is wrong enough to make pre-divorce adultery seem like nothing. I don't know what is going on with that though.

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
If you are not talking about the minor abuse he committed in this thread than you are just wasting everyone's time with some tmz drama alert BS.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
YouTube stardom is a new frontier that has suddenly bestowed relative levels of fame and influence on people who would otherwise just be nobodies sitting around playing video games. I'm not surprised so many of them are shitty or make shitty mistakes.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
When Heidi tweets that even if she was the worst person in the world, Jared still owed her monogamy or divorce, what is that?
Seems there's a lot of cognitive dissonance involved. Marriage is more than monogamy, and when you play your hand, that you can be as terrible as you want and receive monogamy, well, no, you can't. I mean, monogamy is a vow. You break it, that's on you. It's not the only vow. You break one of those, there's the same consequences. Marriage isn't x% monogamy, 100-x% other vows. They're all the same.

And if you previously put monogamy on a pedestal while neglecting the rest, maybe it's not so much of a surprise for your spouse to be extra tempted to knock that pedestal down on the way out. It's a bit precious to be claiming that you wanted to get divorced and then fuck someone else and that makes you better. Because here's the thing— a hyperfocus on monogamy or divorce is a tell. It's a tell that if there's someone else you'd really rather be with, in the back of your mind you have the ability to give up the person you married for that crush because you're monogamous and that's the right thing to do. Simply put, being able to be monogamous is not sufficient for a marriage.

I'm not saying people should be non-monogamous. I'm saying if all you have to offer is monogamy, then you are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy and the only question is how consciously it is you're doing it.
She's just been through a very painful time in her life that has suddenly exploded publicly, and ended up likely revealing awful things about and ruining the life of someone she may, despite how much he deserves them, still have some feelings for.

Leave her alone. There's nothing to be gained from going into her tweets in this detail, and using her attempts to work through this as a springboard for your hot takes on marriage is a bad look.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

One person in a marriage cannot just start sleeping with others when the marriage is not open and expect everything to be okay. If Jared was no longer happy being in a monogamous marriage he should have brought it up and they could have discussed opening the marriage or divorce. Instead he decided to lie to his wife and claim he was no longer sleeping with others.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I noticed everyone talking about the cheating but isn't the underage fan aspect the outrage here?

Like cheating isn't illegal just shitty the underage part is very illegal

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Yeah I noticed everyone talking about the cheating but isn't the underage fan aspect the outrage here?

I think that while everyone agrees about the underage stuff, people can disagree about aspects of infidelity and may more often have personal connections to the issue in one way or another, so I'm not surprised that the cheating is what people focus on.
That, plus the cheating aspect is better documented at this point, I think.

But yeah, while I think that his shitty non-illegal behaviour should be able to be discussed as well(as it is kinda connected imo), the focus should absolutely be on his manipulative/coercive/illegal behaviour.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Depending on your own life experiences cheating can be quite upsetting as well, I'm not saying that those two are even comparable but I can see why some people are picking on him for cheating, especially seeing that he went for someone who was a close friend of theirs on top of being a semi-internet celebrity.

This whole thing is a mess, I used to like his content until he started to move his focus to Twitch streams but this is a really disgusting shit to pull off.

Apparently, the whole nudes thing was out in the open with Heidi but I don't know how pieces of shit that cheat on their SO manage to find time to keep another relationship going and keep a straight face through all that.

Shit, even the mere act of texting someone saying that you want to fuck them while in a relationship is a jerk move. Holly is a piece of shit person as well seeing that she kept it going even though she knew he was married.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Discussing the morality of him cheating on his wife really shouldn't be the focus here, as it's something regarding three lives and we don't really have insight on what really really happened (and, tbh, I don't wanna know about the sex life of three youtubers I don't care about).
What we are seeing is a zero tolerance regarding pedophily, and to this I can't really argue about. Many people here, myself included, have had some kind of trauma on this. Ok, this is a public judgment, but I think we all know how sexual offenders and alt-right society treat victims, so we should do our best to prevent this.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Discussing the morality of him cheating on his wife really shouldn't be the focus here, as it's something regarding three lives and we don't really have insight on what really really happened (and, tbh, I don't wanna know about the sex life of three youtubers I don't care about).
What we are seeing is a zero tolerance regarding pedophily, and to this I can't really argue about. Many people here, myself included, have had some kind of trauma on this. Ok, this is a public judgment, but I think we all know how sexual offenders and alt-right society treat victims, so we should do our best to prevent this.
You're right, I just don't have any experience with one and too much experience with the other.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't really care if some e-famous youtuber cheated on his wife. Yeah, it's shitty, but influence corrupts enough that I'll just assume any public figure is philandering.

That said, if he was actually sending pictures to minors and getting them back, *that* is something worth being outraged about.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I mean... Jared's gonna have to address this at some point, right? Since he's put out that statement, he's hemorrhaged a ton of subscribers and every major partner has severed ties with him.

Can't just leave the public with radio silence.

Honestly (and I hate defending him on this), the best legal move for him would be to shut the fuck up, especially if there's potential legal issues regarding people underage.

hes been uploading to the projared plays channel every day instead

Yep, he was in the process of doing a playthrough of A Link to the Past/Super Metroid randomized that I was enjoying (not anymore after all the shit that has gone down).

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
There are aspects of the cheating that are relevant. While not illegal on its own, aspects of it are intertwined with his manipulation of his fans and colleagues, which makes it hard to separate from his other actions. He lied about an open marriage to coerce fans to sleep with him and send/receive nude photos. He also lied about abuse from Heidi to silence her and downplay things that were likely to come out (truly a noble move from a supposed beacon of feminism in the gaming space). I don't know how true the stuff about Holly's interaction with Jared's underage fans is since it seems the tweet in question is no longer available and I haven't actually seen it, but that's a potential related issue as well.

All this is to say, his actions go beyond adultery and into potential mental abuse of everyone around him, and he was able to get away with it for some time because of his public image and relative position of power over those he affected. It's all somewhat connected.

Oct 30, 2017

tenor.gif

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Did he send pics to underage ppl, knowingly? I was under the impression that he asked before exchanging the pics. Had seen a screenshot on tweeter where he had done just that.

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
If you are not talking about the minor abuse he committed in this thread than you are just wasting everyone's time with some tmz drama alert BS.

Ironic how you dont add anything to that aspect of the conversation other than trying to police discussion.

Ive read through a good portion of the thread and seen the minor abuse brought up almost every page. The cheating is what got the ball rolling on all this and is intrinsically linked to the topic at hand, so of course people are going to talk about it.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Your post reads as Heidi is wrong to have expected Jared to be monogamous and this is all her fault.
It doesn't, it says she seemed to be indicating that as long as she was monogamous, she was holding up her end of the marriage and I explained that is not only a commonly held belief despite its flawed premise, it sometimes is misdirection to cover the conscious desire to end the relationship that you had previously made vows to keep and now no longer want.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

I know this person was banned, but holy shit. The "he didn't know her age" defence has been shot down in court so many times and it's horrifying that a user on here is pushing it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I still feel numb about this whole situation, since among all the youtube and twitch stars outed as sex perverts/racist this is the first one I actively followed and was a fan of. Fuck you projared, I hope you rot in jail you pedophile.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this person was banned, but holy shit. The "he didn't know her age" defence has been shot down in court so many times and it's horrifying that a user on here is pushing it.
It's not really suprising honestly, ERA has some bad dust under the rug.

-The whole PDP situation had a lot of people playing goalie for him.

-Etika's mental breakdown shown many people downplaying and ignoring mental illnesses.

And now this, but at least there seems to be a incredibly low number of people taking the bat for Jared, so at least there's that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really suprising honestly, ERA has some bad dust under the rug.

-The whole PDP situation had a lot of people playing goalie for him.

-Etika's mental breakdown shown many people downplaying and ignoring mental illnesses.

And now this, but at least there seems to be a incredibly low number of people taking the bat for Jared, so at least there's that.

Era's ultimately just a gaming forum. There isn't a whole lot more keeping bad actors out than in, say, 4chan. The only major difference is that the moderation here is stricter here.

In the extreme case, there were some straight up Neo-Nazis posting here when the forum started up, although they were trying not to get caught.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube houses some really vile content creators.
I think its more telling that many of them have a fanbase after all this time.

This is a similar situation to a YouTuber I followed a long time ago. Visited their channel after like 6 years, and they still had a following. Even after all of their friends disassociated themselves with him.

Look at other youtubers who have made racist statements and/or racist jokes in the past - they're still popular. Its kinda nuts.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The bottom line is that people with any amount of fame shouldn't post about how much they like getting nudes from fans. No disclaimers about "18+ only plz", no nothing. Just don't. It's taking advantage.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of amazing that some people here are defending him when the rest of the Internet has rightfully kicked him to the curb

Does anyone else think these drama threads should be contained to their own dedicated section and not placed in the GAMING section?

Nobody outside of the gaming section has a clue who Professional Jared is. Put it where his audience will see it

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think its more telling that many of them have a fanbase after all this time.

This is a similar situation to a YouTuber I followed a long time ago. Visited their channel after like 6 years, and they still had a following. Even after all of their friends disassociated themselves with him.

Look at other youtubers who have made racist statements and/or racist jokes in the past - they're still popular. Its kinda nuts.
It's because most of the followers either forget, stop caring, or are replaced by new fans after a while. "Cancel culture" doesn't really work a lot of the time depending on what the person did.

Status
Not open for further replies.