• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I honestly think he'll just disappear at this point. There's hard receipts of pedophilia involved. You don't "come back after 6 months" from that. He'll stay off the grid, if he's not arrested and in prison, which I think is likely to happen.

I think with the Sailor Mercury picture that keeps getting shared, it was taken as a lewd, which is why people are giving him shit for it. It was something used in his chats with fans (including minors). I think that's a fair reason to give him shit for that specific image. There's easily a billion screenshots from the video he did on Sailor Moon games in that outfit, but no one is using those, just that one that was taken as a lewd.

The original use of that outfit was for a thing in his video on Sailor Moon games. No one really batted an eye at it back then. I think that's the tone most people are sharing it in, but I don't disagree that there's bigoted undertones to a good amount of people sharing it too, and that shit needs to stop.
That particular pic, the Sailor Mercury one, was uploaded to his Instagram over a year ago. It's actually still there last time I checked a few days ago.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What sucks is, since the news broke, his YouTube views have gone up from around 40,000 a day to 200,000-300,000 a day.
I mean, the dude hasn't uploaded in basically a year and suddenly got a whole lotta attention. 90% of those views are probably just people wanting to dislike or talk shit in the comments.

It's very short term is my point

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the dude hasn't uploaded in basically a year and suddenly got a whole lotta attention. 90% of those views are probably just people wanting to dislike or talk shit in the comments.

It's very short term is my point

He put a D&D video on his main channel (not the Let's Play one) 4 months ago. He didn't upload regularly, but it's been less than a year.
Seen a few posts on here mentioning Pushingup roses. How is she involved in this?
Click for entire thread.

I've been a little slow to mention this more directly, mostly because I found it extremely triggering when I found out ProJared had been doing and my brain checked out immediately, but I do want to say a few things. I am ashamed that I ever ran in the same circles with this-

-person. I wouldn't call us friends, but in the gaming space we did have a lot of mutuals and in the past, he had supported my work and I had been appreciative. A couple years ago, he had mad a very heavy, explicit pass on me that was not welcome, and at the time I laughed it off

-because I was nervous that confronting it would somehow cause me abuse. I'm angry that I didn't say anything. I 100% believe Heidi and stand by the victims that have come forward, and I am SO sorry to hear he had abused his power and damaged so many. It's horrifying.

My experience in the gaming community has not always been a good one. Men grossly abuse their power, and it's happened to me on several occasion. Men who make passes, send explicit messages, then promptly black list you if you are not receptive. One gaming producer even tried to-

-manipulate me in public, at a convention. It's disgusting, and one of the biggest reasons I moved away from gaming.

I don't have a conclusion for anything this beyond: I believe what happened and fuck Jared, that utter piece of shit.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
What sucks is, since the news broke, his YouTube views have gone up from around 40,000 a day to 200,000-300,000 a day.

I think he's getting clicks from people just trolling him in comments now. But if they click off right afterwards, he's not gaining as much traction without people actually watching the videos for more than a minute.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
From the sound of things people like Jared and toxic gamers in general are why PUR is moving away from covering games on her channel. Can't say I blame her, but it really sucks that these idiots are causing the community to become increasingly narrow-minded and creepy. Wish YT would finally clamp down on it but they gotta get their $$$.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
From the sound of things people like Jared and toxic gamers in general are why PUR is moving away from covering games on her channel. Can't say I blame her, but it really sucks that these idiots are causing the community to become increasingly narrow-minded and creepy. Wish YT would finally clamp down on it but they gotta get their $$$.
Frankly it's awful YT hasn't nuked his channel yet. Guy has pedophilia accusations WITH RECEIPTS. There's no ambiguity here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I was really sad to read the PUR thread. She is such an amazing content creator and it is truly awful she experienced what she did, especially with everything going on in her life according to her Twitter.

Satchell is also amazing and his statement and disassociation was one hell of a condemnation. Guy continues to be a stand-up dude.

thespartin

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think he'll do that, there isn't any excuse

You can't apologise by saying "Sorry, I'm a horny bastard, this is who I am"

I guess he'll lay low and try and release another video like nothing happened in 6 months time

That is assuming he's not in jail
Yeah, thats the plan im counting on too. Didnt JonTron pretty much do the exact same thing? disappear from youtube for a few months and then reappear like nothing ever happened?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Lesson Here is YouTubers are people often self employed with no or little support staff.

The personal becomes.mixed with the professional when they realize there are fans willing to do a lot to get access.

The.fascade of a clean-cut YouTubers is a lie the public wants to believe. It was never true.

Jared is a 1 mil sub YouTuber. There's lots of those these days and tbh it's sad to see the reality of it all

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lesson Here is YouTubers are people often self employed with no or little support staff.

The personal becomes.mixed with the professional when they realize there are fans willing to do a lot to get access.

The.fascade of a clean-cut YouTubers is a lie the public wants to believe. It was never true.

Jared is a 1 mil sub YouTuber. There's lots of those these days and tbh it's sad to see the reality of it all

Was*

I agree with you though, and it's easy to portray yourself one way on camera/on your channel, as it's a very controlled environment, but when you fuck up, you fuck everything in your life up

I feel like because of that this will keep on happening to YouTubers

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

This is generalizing and pretty unfair to actually clean Youtubers out there. Two or three bad eggs doesn't ruin a dozen.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I met this guy once. Seemed a nice guy. Got my picture with him and everything. With the Completionist too. I can't imagine what he feels right now.

IceOrb

Oct 30, 2017
I think he's getting clicks from people just trolling him in comments now. But if they click off right afterwards, he's not gaining as much traction without people actually watching the videos for more than a minute.

I'd be willing to bet its also a fair amount of people going to his page to unsubscribe as well as the folks refreshing the page constantly to see his sub count drop. Since his main page has an auto playing channel trailer that'd definitely bump up his views.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Disappointing to hear how an awful person Jared turn out to be, and it makes me rethink my teenage years when screwattack used to be a big part of my life. I'm now wondering if a similar thing happened there, as him and Craig had a huge fight in his last year, and it was the reason why he left so suddenly. Hopefully, his actions get back to him and he gets what he deserves

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
That would really suck I love her game stuff. Blah people suck.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
This is so crushing as someone that liked a lot of his content for years and he seemed like a nice guy.

I hope there will be charges against him and he serves time. And even beyond that he's so fucked, he'll never be able to do youtube/twitch stuff anymore. The internet will just evicerate him forever.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah, thats the plan im counting on too. Didnt JonTron pretty much do the exact same thing? disappear from youtube for a few months and then reappear like nothing ever happened?
Yeah, he came out with Flex Tape (others too) which gathered 40m+ views and successfully pivoted his channel away from video games as he had wanted to do for a long time. Then he took another hiatus but is now back to posting regular videos that get a handful of millions of views each.

Now as stupid and incorrect as Jon's comments were, they're not illegal to have. Political/racial comments are unfortunately ignored by the silent majority and supported by a loud minority, so he really didn't lose out on much. Preying on underage girls is a worse offense that has legal implications and is something everyone hates.

I really don't think PJ can get away with what he did.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp.

6 playlists of the PBG Hardcore series just got permanently nuked.

100+ videos worth of fun Hardcore content.

Gone.

Thanks Projared.

Jun 26, 2018
Now as stupid and incorrect as Jon's comments were, they're not illegal to have. Political/racial comments are unfortunately ignored by the silent majority and supported by a loud minority, so he really didn't lose out on much.

Stupid and incorrect is putting it mildly, considering he was just straight up parroting white nationalist talking points.

Oct 25, 2017
That would really suck I love her game stuff. Blah people suck.
That's what you get when the gaming community en masse keeps going "lol there is no issue with sexism and harassment of women in gaming, people just need to grow a thicker skin!"

I've said it plenty of times; many women who used to post on this forum in particular have long since left because of that sort of shit. This stuff happens all the time and men generally have zero clue then go "huh how come there are so few women in this medium?"

thespartin

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he came out with Flex Tape (others too) which gathered 40m+ views and successfully pivoted his channel away from video games as he had wanted to do for a long time. Then he took another hiatus but is now back to posting regular videos that get a handful of millions of views each.

Now as stupid and incorrect as Jon's comments were, they're not illegal to have. Political/racial comments are unfortunately ignored by the silent majority and supported by a loud minority, so he really didn't lose out on much. Preying on underage girls is a worse offense that has legal implications and is something everyone hates.

I really don't think PJ can get away with what he did.
Agreed. What JonTron did was bad, but didnt leave a large amount of victims behind. The only reason i think ProJared could still come back is because of how slowly his youtube numbers are dropping. Its gotten pretty slow now and is only going to get slower in the future. If he is able to come back(IE: not locked up in prison), he will still have several hundred thousand subscribers. Not sure if word of what all has happened hasnt gotten around or if most people just dont care. Will be interesting to see in the future for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. What JonTron did was bad, but didnt leave a large amount of victims behind. The only reason i think ProJared could still come back is because of how slowly his youtube numbers are dropping. Its gotten pretty slow now and is only going to get slower in the future. If he is able to come back(IE: not locked up in prison), he will still have several hundred thousand subscribers. Not sure if word of what all has happened hasnt gotten around or if most people just dont care. Will be interesting to see in the future for sure.
I don't think his subscriber count really matters. Stuff like sexting minors, cheating on his wife, and sexually luring fans isn't exactly as easy to forgive or forget

Status
Not open for further replies.