• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, aside from the Sailor Moon video, there's also one where he explicitly said that he was going to delete pics of him playing naked "unless you want them".

It was a rather old video. We all took it as a joke years ago. Oh, how naive we were.
It's amazing and disgusting that he was able to make these sorts of comments that everyone thought of as jokes and he was dead fucking serious the whole time.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing and disgusting that he was able to make these sorts of comments that everyone thought of as jokes and he was dead fucking serious the whole time.

It really is. Thinking back on Twitch streams i watched...every so often he would make a lewd joke. I just shrugged it off as he was trying to be funny. Little did we all know that was his true personality peeking through.

"Many a true word is spoken in jest"

Definitely seems that way.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It flaberghasts me that people are still surprised by this. The e-celeb business is just as seedy as Hollywood. Attend any convention after-party and you will see plenty of bad behavior. Most of these people are incredibly young, and are thrust into a world of extreme vice and wealth. The cosplay world is arguably worse, with a ridiculous amount of creepers.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Click for entire thread.

Yikes. PUR is still getting all of my respect here. That's horrible she went through this but I'm glad she's supporting those who've been hurt.

From the sound of things people like Jared and toxic gamers in general are why PUR is moving away from covering games on her channel. Can't say I blame her, but it really sucks that these idiots are causing the community to become increasingly narrow-minded and creepy. Wish YT would finally clamp down on it but they gotta get their $$$.
That would really suck I love her game stuff. Blah people suck.

I don't usually scour content creators' social media pages, so I could be wrong here, but I thought her shift to 80s-90s TV shows was just a personal preference. I remember there were a couple videos where she mentioned video games were a minor hobby compared to her other interests, so she wanted to take this turn to reviewing random episodes of Murder She Wrote intentionally.

And to be honest, I now have an interest in Murder She Heckin' Wrote, so she's doing something right there.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Yikes. PUR is still getting all of my respect here. That's horrible she went through this but I'm glad she's supporting those who've been hurt.

I don't usually scour content creators' social media pages, so I could be wrong here, but I thought her shift to 80s-90s TV shows was just a personal preference. I remember there were a couple videos where she mentioned video games were a minor hobby compared to her other interests, so she wanted to take this turn to reviewing random episodes of Murder She Wrote intentionally.

And to be honest, I now have an interest in Murder She Heckin' Wrote, so she's doing something right there.
She just posted a twitter thread about how she started the murder she wrote videos entirely to avoid some real life trauma she was dealing with because her other videos weren't making her happy for 'a variety of reasons'. I assume, with her statement, that these things are related as the two threads happened close to each other.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

She did a video where her TV show videos got way more hits than her video game ones, too.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
That's good that it's not effecting her views. Probably easier to stand out, but it is a shame that her hand was forced into it either way.

The aforementioned video where she talks about changing the focus of the channel. Nothing about PJ in the video, obviously. Or at least, none that I remember. Certainly not by name.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
youtube as a whole has become a cess pool as more and more people chase it for gain. the amount of people who try feeding off these peoples actions and the "tea" to get subs/views themselves just add to the growing pile of shit its become. scrolling through my feed/recommended videos anymore feels like im watching daytime tv.

at this rate the theme park vloggers are the last group of "wholesomeness" i enjoy on youtube and drama there over silly bs is making me want to just delete the site from the internet.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
at this rate the theme park vloggers are the last group of "wholesomeness" i enjoy on youtube and drama there over silly bs is making me want to just delete the site from the internet.

But even then did you see that Jenn Tracker was attacked for simply announcing that she was pregnant? like most of the themepark community is great but, there are still some bad eggs. i dont think the whole platform should be shoved down the toilet.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I know I shouldn't be surprised after Laci Green but it's still so damn astounding when female content creators who seem so wholesome suddenly reveal an unprecedented level of scumbaggery. Like if you'd have told freaking Commander Holly was enabling her lover's pedophilia, I would have thought it was an insane, strange joke. Yet here we are.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I meant this tweet in particular, part of the ProJared discussion but involving a different person:

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah, thats the plan im counting on too. Didnt JonTron pretty much do the exact same thing? disappear from youtube for a few months and then reappear like nothing ever happened?
That's not unusual for Jontron though, i remember when i followed him that he wasn't exactly posting videos every week or month, so i guess things stayed the same then?

I don't know, i unsubscribed to him a long time ago, but he wasn't exactly posting videos left and right

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
This is just one ugly mess...

Did Jared make any noice on any channels since that random one tweet some days ago? I'm sure he has got a lawyer at this point who has adviced him not to.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He's under 819,000 subs on YouTube now. He should be under 800,000 in maybe three days at the current rate of loss.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. That really sucks about her being treated that way... I mean, I'm happy she's finding a new market, but that's just foul what happened to her.

It happens a lot in the gaming industry. A guy makes a pass at a woman and she's stuck because turning a guy down will lead to them marking you as 'difficult'.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain it's more than just the video game industry, sadly.

Oh for sure.

But it's one of the reasons women find it hard to get a foothold in tech. You spend years building your resume, finally get a job, and you're out 8 months later because you made the mistake of existing in front of the wrong dude and you're railroaded out.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For the record this is pretty common with people in the public spotlight. I think it happens with most divorces in those cases. So it's probably something the lawyer would recommend.
As a preemptive thing like a prenup? Yeah... as a "whoops, I fucked up, better try to cover my tracks fast" thing? Really really really fucked up.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Pat Contri posted the first part of the latest episode of his podcast to YouTube earlier, and in it, he talks about his personal relationship to Jared (they were friends for several years, and Pat was one of the ones that encouraged Jared to make videos early on). He also talks about the incident where he really first saw signs that Jared was, at the absolute minimum, an egotistical jerk. He lays it all out in the video, but basically, Pat, Jared, and Brentalfloss were all working together on an MST3K-style comedy bit that they could potentially tour around conventions, but Jared apparently got jealous and saw himself as above the other two and dropped out of their arrangement after the first show (they had planned a six-month minimum test run of the idea). Pat never really spoke to Jared after that, but his podcast partner Ian didn't have much to say about Jared other than Jared always treated him like a dick. Pat also apparently had early warning that Heidi was going to bring something about Jared to light, though he obviously didn't know the details as to what until everything happened.

Also, by total coincidence, Jared's implosion happened on Pat's birthday.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'm watching it right now. It mostly seemed like Pat was venting over how Jared treated him and Brent rather than the allegations directly.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not unusual for Jontron though, i remember when i followed him that he wasn't exactly posting videos every week or month, so i guess things stayed the same then?

I don't know, i unsubscribed to him a long time ago, but he wasn't exactly posting videos left and right
John Tron was basically vanished off youtube for a year. I had stopped watching all his old content after he showed his true self but I stayed subbed just incase. Finally unsubbed when he started posing again like nothing happened.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching it right now. It mostly seemed like Pat was venting over how Jared treated him and Brent rather than the allegations directly.
Yeah, he doesn't speak much to the allegations, but that seems more or less because they're already well enough known that if you're watching the video, you probably don't need them explained to you, and he wouldn't have much to say about them any other than of course the allegations are awful. So while the video is definitely his personal venting, it is justified in the sense that he's opening up about Jared regarding matters that, while incredibly minor in comparison to the actual crimes Jared may have committed (next to the many, many receipts backing those allegations up), he does bring another perspective of a former friend that Jared betrayed and treated poorly, despite said friend being to a certain extent instrumental in his becoming a YouTube star in the first place.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
There's not much to the video other than speculation about Jared's ego being a contributing factor in this whole mess. Their comments about not worshipping minor celebrities blindly make sense though.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
John Tron was basically vanished off youtube for a year. I had stopped watching all his old content after he showed his true self but I stayed subbed just incase. Finally unsubbed when he started posing again like nothing happened.
I remember he put up an apology video and I figured this was him backtracking his comments and trying to make it right...

...But it was just an apology for not putting anything up for a while with absolutely no mention of the incident or his comments. Basically just a typical "Sorry I've been so busy. Now I promise to upload more." video.

All his videos now are just reviews of shitty movies or infomercials. So I have no regrets in unsubscribing. I used to rewatch Stairfax Temperatures and Nuts and Bolts all the time before the incident.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember he put up an apology video and I figured this was him backtracking his comments and trying to make it right...

...But it was just an apology for not putting anything up for a while with absolutely no mention of the incident or his comments. Basically just a typical "Sorry I've been so busy. Now I promise to upload more." video.

All his videos now are just reviews of shitty movies or infomercials. So I have no regrets in unsubscribing. I used to rewatch Stairfax Temperatures and Nuts and Bolts all the time before the incident.

I would regularly rewatch his content as backgound noise at work and while gaming pretty much all the time. It was so strange dropping him but I just couldn't watch him anymore.

Nov 18, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Posting content with racist rhetoric; Prior severe infraction.

He did put up an apology though its right here:

Mod Edit: Content removed. We do no provide a platform for JonTron or their content on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

That is Pat. That dude has always been fairly egotistical. If he is going to talk about anything he is going to do his best to talk about himself in the process. It is just who he is.

However, it is still interesting in its own way. It also does give us a little insight into who Jared was off camera.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That is Pat. That dude has always been fairly egotistical. If he is going to talk about anything he is going to do his best to talk about himself in the process. It is just who he is.

However, it is still interesting in its own way. It also does give us a little insight into who Jared was off camera.

Don't forget about plugging the Ultimate guide as well.

It was certainly an interesting anecdote to hear though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget about plugging the Ultimate guide as well.

It was certainly an interesting anecdote to hear though.
To be fair, his comments particularly toward the end of the video make it clear that he's self-aware of his own ego and personality, and plugging his own book on his own podcast isn't exactly a weird thing, either. The thing is, a person can have a big ego and also not be a scumbag.

Jared's ego is apparently the size of Jupiter and his scumbaggery is, well, we know what that's like at this point.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, his comments particularly toward the end of the video make it clear that he's self-aware of his own ego and personality, and plugging his own book on his own podcast isn't exactly a weird thing, either. The thing is, a person can have a big ego and also not be a scumbag.

Jared's ego is apparently the size of Jupiter and his scumbaggery is, well, we know what that's like at this point.

Slightly off topic. But after watching the video...im curious to know who some of the other asshole content creators he eludes to knowing lol.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
No opinions on ProJared as I don't follow his work, but I feel gross that I once had sympathy for Holly Conrad. She really seemed to have a lot of psychological problems for some time, battling depression and other similar issues, but now as far as I'm concerned that was all an act to gain said sympathy.

Even if she fucked up, and she did, that isn't cause to assume that her mental illness isn't real. Mentally ill people can fuck up and be shit too.

Hey folks, typing this up the day after I was banned so apologies if something has changed contextually since writing it. I'm editing my original post as well as quoting it and the one user (A.By) that quoted it for context.

I attempted to contact moderators though various avenues after I was banned, but unfortunately after being banned there's really no reliable way to do so, so I had no choice but to sit it out and wait.

Anywho, I wanted to explain my post, as I don't want to carry any sort of negative stigma from here on out, and I don't want anyone having the wrong idea of my opinions and beliefs.

I was not intending to imply that Holly's psychological illnesses were an act to garner any sort of sympathy from the general public, and I'm not trying to imply any of it was "made up." As someone with his own set of issues I'm all too familiar with the struggles an individual can have without anyone realizing it.

My implication was that Holly very much as generated a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" image for herself on the internet, and it feels very much that the person anyone that followed her thought she actually was is very much different than the person that she actually is. This often tends to happen in situations where an individual commits a heinous act and friends and family that only knew them on a surface level (internet followers, in this case) are often confused by their actions, as it doesn't line up with the person they thought they knew.
In short, I, like many others, thought she was a decent person, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That's the only "act" that I meant, not that the mental illness was an act. Unfortunately I realized too late after the fact that my post could have been misinterpreted and I was banned before I had the time to edit my post.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess relevant but a different person, Apparently Etika (yes that etika) is being outted for trying to solicit nudes from a minor. just found out about it now. Not sure if others heard or have more info?

Feb 24, 2018
I'm getting the sense at this point that YouTube will do nothing about ProJared?

One thing that still fascinates me is how his fanbase reacted to this compared to other fandoms of YouTube creators. Did PJ out of curiosity attract a smaller amount of Alt-right and gamergate fans compared to others?

And also, if I recall last year, most of Heidi's stuff was destroyed, especially her livelihood and other cosplay gear because of flooding, did this happen before or after? Either way, I can imagine how devastating that is to lose most of what's taken you years to build up then find out/while your husband cheats on you.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't think there'll be a point to take him down. I can't see him uploading anymore after this anyway if he ends up being put away. Eventually the algorithm will stop recommending him. He'll disappear into the ether in time.

I never saw Jared as someone who would attract the alt-right crowd. Jon only got a huge following of them after he made his stupid views clear enough. Maybe I'm wrong.

I remember the flood. The video he put up where he explains what happened. How it happened like literally right before they moved into a new house. And how his stuff was still safe. I'd assume it happened before this all happened. At least before Heidi knew anything was going on. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.