• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.teamvvv.com/news/project-cars-3-will-be-more-of-a-spiritual-successor-to-nfs-shift/

Slightly Mad Studios CEO Ian Bell has today confirmed that Project CARS 3, which was only announced recently, will see a change in direction.

Posting on GTPlanet (post 106), Bell admits that Slightly Mad Studios had bitten off "more than we can properly chew" with Project CARS 2 and they are now looking to shift (pardon the pun) the centre of attention back to a more focused and fun experience.

"We've learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let's call it, 'sub-optimal'" stated Bell. "pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates."

"Shift" of course refers to 2009's Need for Speed Shift title published by Electronic Arts. If you've played Shift before you will have noted that Project CARS feels like a natural evolution of it so it comes as no great stretch of the imagination to think that Slightly Mad Studios may be aiming for an experience somewhere in the middle of the two titles.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Oh fuck no.

Going back to a Shift-like focus means less emphasis on motorsports.

Project Cars 3 needs to focus on improving the motorsports aspect. A better flagging system, pace/safety cars. Online rating systems that actually mean something.

SMS really dropped the ball hard on the multiplayer. A safety and skill rating system is good but it's just a foundation. It's meaningless without matchmaking because all the hosts of lobbies make it open to U-rated drivers anyway. The online died off in 3 months. They need to implement GT Sport's or iRacing's multiplayer system instead of just leaving it up to the playerbase to keep the online activity alive.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
damn, i am out, does not sound like a continuation of motorsport sim which i hoped for.

i am fine with reducing scope to focus on some core aspects, but this sounds not promising... at all.

hopefully acc will come to consoles to fill the vacuum and to scratch my gt3 itch.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
damn, i am out, does not sound like a continuation of motorsport sim which i hoped for.

i am fine with reducing scope to focus on some core aspects, but this sounds not promising... at all.

hopefully acc will come to consoles to fill the vacuum and to scratch my gt3 itch.

My wish is that Assetto corsa competizione gets ported to PS5 + psvr 2. Sim racing VR is a gamechanger,too bad VR support in Grant Turismo Sport is terrible

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically more arcade like to try capitalize on sales and appeal to a broader audience.
Bomba, it will be £25 after a month.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Hugely disappointing if this is the case. I've stuck by the Project Cars series despite all its flaws because there's not too many sim racing games out there as it is, let alone ones with the scope and scale of a Project Cars game.

Dumbing down the game in favour of the masses sounds completely off putting.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Keep the motorsports focus of PC2 but focus a hell of a lot more on providing a polished experience (in terms of gameplay, performance, VR, UI and especially controller handling) even at the expense of actual content.

PC2 has massive promise but it just doesn't quite deliver. Too many issues.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't care for shift much but there are very few arcade racers now so if they make a good one I'm happy.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Next racing game with full PSVR support gets my money, been a while since Dirt Rally. Got burnt last time with them promising support that never came :(

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is "Bomba, it will be £25 after a month" also describes Project Cars 2. They have to change something.
Although I agree that some kind of change is necessary, I'm not sure that changing the game to be more like NFS Shift is the answer. I don't think NFS Shift presented any compelling answers to how a racing game could carve itself a lasting niche in a world where Gran Turismo, Forza, Asseto Corsa and iRacing exist. Project CARS never really felt like a comfortable fit in that market but I think it was closer to fitting in than NFS Shift was.

I didn't care for shift much but there are very few arcade racers now so if they make a good one I'm happy.
I'm not sure I'd really call Shift an arcade racer. To me was part of that awkward in-between sub-genre, trying to appeal to both but ending up being too arcade-like for sim racing fans and too sim-like for arcade racing fans.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if PC2 was much of a success in the first place, though.
The issue is "Bomba, it will be £25 after a month" also describes Project Cars 2. They have to change something.
The reason was they bit of more than they could chew as indicated by the developer themselves.
Thinking going back to arcade roots will somehow make PC3 more successful is delusional. If they want to continue the PC franchise they should keep it more focused and sim like, if they want a arcade game then call it a new game.

We've seen it so many times when developers of certain games that have a certain fan base go after the general population and fail as the genre isn't popular enough and then just end up pissing off the hardcore fans of said franchize. That's why it will be a bomba IMO.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that they couldn't pull the sim crowd with two attempts with "semi sims", it makes sense to go all into the arcade side of the house. Wish them luck.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
My wish is that Assetto corsa competizione gets ported to PS5 + psvr 2. Sim racing VR is a gamechanger,too bad VR support in Grant Turismo Sport is terrible

i'd rather like to play it sooner than later (on x). game is almost ready on pc afaik.

gen transition will be blurry anyway and they can patch it up then.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
... if they want a arcade game then call it a new game.

We've seen it so many times when developers of certain games that have a certain fan base go after the general population and fail as the genre isn't popular enough and then just end up pissing off the hardcore fans of said franchize. That's why it will be a bomba IMO.

no issues with that. would be much better without blocking the way back to sim pc3.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing that they couldn't pull the sim crowd with two attempts with "semi sims", it makes sense to go all into the arcade side of the house. Wish them luck.

Why not just move to street racing in Japan

That would garner some nice sales.

Change the name at that point though. Project Cars is already tied with the name of being a semi-sim..........general public isn't going to know its based on NFS Shift than PC2

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I think it's worth noting here that all signs point to Forza taking a year off in 2019. Now, I haven't played NFS Shift, but I think this could be seen as an attempt to capitalize on a vacancy in the more casual racing Sim market.

For my part, I loved the options PC2 offered, in terms of tracks, time of day, and weather scenarios, but none of them made the controller handling feel satisfying.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever this ends up being, I don't think they are aiming to go "all in" to the arcade side. Not only was NFS Shift not really an arcade racing game, but the quote in this topic says that Project CARS 3 will have "all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates".

I think it's worth noting here that all signs point to Forza taking a year off in 2019.
It doesn't seem like Project CARS 3 is going to be ready in 2019 though. The post on GTPlanet confirming its existence (from early December) said "don't hold your breath on timings".

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever this ends up being, I don't think they are aiming to go "all in" to the arcade side. Not only was NFS Shift not really an arcade racing game, but the quote in this topic says that Project CARS 3 will have "all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates".

It doesn't seem like Project CARS 3 is going to be ready in 2019 though. The post on GTPlanet confirming its existence (from early December) said "don't hold your breath on timings".

That's the point. No one in the sim community thinks of PC games as sim so they are generally a 3rd or 4th choice for many with iracing, Assetto Corsa and rfactor2 being the 3 main ones. They just haven't been able to match or crack those 3 so they are right to focus in a different area.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao all Project Cars games were heavily discounted after a month, the current formula is not bringing them money.
Lmao not making money has to do with quality not formula. Their games are broken at best, that's why people don't buy them.
Look at better quality games as pointed out by others FM7, GTS, similar games but massive sellers compared to PC.

The first game was good and sold well, also with it been a new franchize people can forgive the odd broken thing and bugs but the second one totally bombed in my mind because they included everything but the kitchen sink. Who asked for ice racing? rallycross? countless other additions that meant the core gameplay was overlooked. Instead of fine tuning what they had they totally messed it up, jack of all trades and all that!

So they blame that "formula" on low sales and go after the arcade crowd. Well I can bet now that that switch will not bring them more success.
It seems to me that maybe there trying a FH approach, not necessarily open world but more casual, broader appeal and I just can't see that working for them like it did for Forza.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao not making money has to do with quality not formula. Their games are broken at best, that's why people don't buy them.
Look at better quality games as pointed out by others FM7, GTS, similar games but massive sellers compared to PC.

The first game was good and sold well, also with it been a new franchize people can forgive the odd broken thing and bugs but the second one totally bombed in my mind because they included everything but the kitchen sink. Who asked for ice racing? rallycross? countless other additions that meant the core gameplay was overlooked. Instead of fine tuning what they had they totally messed it up, jack of all trades and all that!

So they blame that "formula" on low sales and go after the arcade crowd. Well I can bet now that that switch will not bring them more success.
Everything you wrote supports my point, are you ok?

Delivering a more focused project will definitely help them more than keeping whatever the fuck they did with 2.