• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
Neither are out of the picture.
Tsurugi_Knight_Blade.jpg

GalaxyCannon.gif

GeedSlugger.gif

The humans (including the hero himself in human form) in Ultra always carry scifi guns too.

There's even a samurai kaiju.
You'll likely get some swords/laser weapons of some sort of it fillows that which it looks to be taking inspiration from
This does make things better, but only slightly. There are also other issues, like the combat's pacing. Hope it's fast enough, because huge guys battling huge monsters doesn't strike me as the fastest paced kind of fight in the world.
I'll just wait and see, there are two more announcements to go anyway so I can wait for more details on this G.G. game while waiting for the other 2 announcements.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
...imagining Platinum's gameplay as a giant dude in a city, he will destroy it much more than the monster with all the dodges and crazy attacks.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I really can't get that excited for something that is probably so far away.
It seems devs will never learn (I'm looking at you SMTV and Bayonetta 3)

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's basically Pacific Rim: The Game. Which I'm totally fine with.

Oct 25, 2017
This does make things better, but only slightly. There are also other issues, like the combat's pacing. Hope it's fast enough, because huge guys battling huge monsters doesn't strike me as the fastest paced kind of fight in the world.
I'll just wait and see, there are two more announcements to go anyway so I can wait for more details on this G.G. game while waiting for the other 2 announcements.
I mean, I know it's not DBZ or DMC levels of trading blows, but the third gif is not exactly lumbering, Godzilla levels of slow.

...imagining Platinum's gameplay as a giant dude in a city, he will destroy it much more than the monster with all the dodges and crazy attacks.
P* game world Sokovia Accords when?
03b.jpg

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

On the other hand, I wonder if one of the things that will determine your "rank" will be how much of the city you allow to get destroyed. Risk v. reward may ensue as you may want to kick a giant skyscraper into a kaiju's face to put them into stun, or rip off a monorail train to make for impromptu nunchaku.

...but you can only do that so many times before there's not much city left worth protecting!

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
I mean, I know it's not DBZ or DMC levels of trading blows, but the third gif is not exactly lumbering, Godzilla levels of slow.
DMC levels is more or less what I'm looking for, actually. Maybe they can speed things up a bit from the usual? I can see it's not Power Rangers Megazord levels of fights (which is what I had in mind previously), but I still find it a bit too slow for my tastes. Maybe Platinum can bring a bit of their flair to this kind of thing?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched it, is it fast enough?

It's the main example that comes to mind when I think of giant robot action that doesn't look like they're wading through water because of their size. The robots in that one are also designed to be more like giant people in lightweight armor rather than massive tanks so I'd expect something similar here.

The point is, it all comes down to how they choose to go about it in a full game. I think they know that having every battle be slow and laborious wouldn't be fun and would design it accordingly.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am going to pretend this is a sequel to Attack of the Friday monster.

PC and switch for me Kamiya-san. Thank you!

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
It's the main example that comes to mind when I think of giant robot action that doesn't look like they're wading through water because of their size. The robots in that one are also designed to be more like giant people in lightweight armor rather than massive tanks so I'd expect something similar here.

The point is, it all comes down to how they choose to go about it in a full game. I think they know that having every battle be slow and laborious wouldn't be fun and would design it accordingly.
Well, I hope Platinum decides to forgo authenticity for this one and makes combat Bayonetta levels of fast paced then, I guess

Oct 25, 2017
DMC levels is more or less what I'm looking for, actually. Maybe they can speed things up a bit from the usual? I can see it's not Power Rangers Megazord levels of fights (which is what I had in mind previously), but I still find it a bit too slow for my tastes. Maybe Platinum can bring a bit of their flair to this kind of thing?
I am sure they will. The point of doing it slow on the shows is partially to help sell the fake scale (since the miniature sets are small) and because of how limiting the monster suits are to move around (which is why fights against other Ultras/humanoid kaiju are much faster) - plus no live action show will have DMC speed anyway haha. The game will have none of those issues and might have super speed powers (either in the Viewtful Joe sense or in the Ultraman sense, since some have speed forms).

By comparison, the SNK kaiju fighting/wrestling games weren't slower than their Samurai Shodown games, for instance.

The Evas are also literally reskinned Ultras, both in their design and way of movement, so it's a great example :D

Zamaru

Nov 2, 2019
I'm so glad this April Fools joke actually went somewhere

www.youtube.com

PlatinumGames-New IP Announcement

An exclusive look at the first of our new original IPs.We're firing on all cylinders to bring you action that will change gaming forever, as well as the birt...

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted a game with crazy gameplay that combines normal hand to hand ground combat and having a summonable giant robot mecha.
Like fighting goons and then when shit gets real you summon your giant robot to destroy those who stand in your way. Not in a scripted way.

DownrightMasculineIncatern-size_restricted.gif

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
I am sure they will. The point of doing it slow on the shows is partially to help sell the fake scale (since the miniature sets are small) and because of how limiting the monster suits are to move around (which is why fights against other Ultras/humanoid kaiju are much faster) - plus no live action show will have DMC speed anyway haha. The game will have none of those issues and might have super speed powers (either in the Viewtiful Joe sense or in the Ultraman sense, since some have speed forms).

By comparison, the SNK kaiju fighting/wrestling games weren't slower than their Samurai Shodown games, for instance.
Let's hope we get some gameplay relatively soon then, I've been dying for some character action since I finished DMC5 in April/May

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The way they've been bringing up Viewtiful Joe so much recently gives me some hope of that series still returning one day. False hope, probably, but still...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya directed superhero games. Viewtiful Joe was the first (inspired by Kamen Rider), The Wonderful 101 followed (Super Sentai) and this is the last game (based on Ultraman).

Just noticed:
Viewtiful Joe - 2003
Wonderful 101 - 2013
Project G.G. - 2023?
if there was ever a 4th entry the next logical step would be Voltron