• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Kamiya could make a game about filing tax returns and promise that it's going to be boring and I'd still be like, bro, fuck me up, where do I pre-order?

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
So basically Ultraman.

How are they going to afford to make a game of this magnitude without outside investment?

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
So basically Ultraman.

How are they going to afford to make a game of this magnitude without outside investment?

www.resetera.com

PlatinumGames has formed a Capital Alliance with Tencent

Source: https://www.platinumgames.com/news-january-7-2020/ Press release: Announcement regarding partnership with Tencent We would like to announce we have received a capital investment from Tencent Holdings Limited as a basis for partnership. This partnership has no effect on the...

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god if the second trailer doesn't have that dog safe and off of his goddamned leash I'm gonna be SO mad.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
A trailer with some production value that it doesnt seem like a fan made trailer? Seriously that text .. and the design behind it. It feels like a shitty fan made trailer
I think you're mistaking something that's closely imitating old tokusatsu series with something that's actually just low budget and terrible-looking.

Which fair enough, that means it's a really good impression.

Aug 13, 2019
Ah, yes. The time-honored Japanese media tradition of killing gods.
Well, obviously the dog isn't gonna get hurt, right?
And the hero appears-wait is he transforming?
Holy shit, is that Ultraman?
Holy shit, it's Ultraman!
giphy.gif

God, it's been ages since I've seen Ultraman. I am so fucking hyped for this!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't expecting the realistic art. Looks cool though.

I wonder if you'll play stages as regular size guy fighting mooks and goons then henshin for boss fights at the end?

That would be ideal. Otherwise I feel it's probably gonna be just fights against giant monsters with boring open space.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

PlatinumGames has formed a Capital Alliance with Tencent

Source: https://www.platinumgames.com/news-january-7-2020/ Press release: Announcement regarding partnership with Tencent We would like to announce we have received a capital investment from Tencent Holdings Limited as a basis for partnership. This partnership has no effect on the...

i believe in the famitsu interview inaba or kamiya say they refused tencent funding (or is it just funding above a certain level?) on this one because they want to retain ownership on the IP

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's a Kamiya project, so it's guaranteed to be exceptional.

Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101... He's incapable of directing a game that's less than great.

And it was the best game of 2019.
It unironically was, to my endless surprise.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, looks cool. That audio sting at the very end gave me goosebumps. Sounds like pure, unadulterated anime.

Great to hear they're taking direct control. Wishing them the best with this and projects going forward!

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Man if only 15 people are working on this then I wish they didn't announced it now...
Still waiting on Bayonetta 3 :(

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I remember this recent picture of Kamiya where he had an The Iron Giant statue on his desk. The trailer kinda explains it haha.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Not crazy hyped about the giant monsters theme, but at least it's better than super sentai. Let's see what happens.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
FRIENDLY REMINDER OF KAMIYA'S DIRECTORIAL OEUVRE:

RESIDENT EVIL 2
DEVIL MAY CRY 1
VIEWTIFUL JOE 1
OKAMI
BAYONETTA 1
THE WONDERFUL 101
SCALEBOUND (rip)
PROJECT GG

Yes, this will automatically be one of the best games of all time based on that alone.
is bad to put a not announced game in my top of most anticipated games?

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
IGN put a little interview with Kamiya and Inaba:
"It won't be a very niche kind of game; giant hero stories are popular in Japan, with things like Ultraman, and the game will have that kind of flavor to it, but I don't want to restrict myself to the Japanese hero genre," Kamiya says. "So the setting will probably not be Japan, as that might be restrictive. But I haven't decided yet."
"Basically we'd like to hit PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam, and then of course PS5 and Series X are coming soon. We don't know exactly when this will come out, but we'd like to release it on whatever are the main platforms at that time," Platinum Chief Creative Officer Atsushi Inaba said.
"Put it this way, we're not looking at something as long as three years. Nor will it be as soon as half a year or a year. But as our first self-owned and self-published game, we want to deliver it as soon as we can."

Also, IGN Japan had another (or the same) interview that Siliconera translated some of its quotes, one being Inaba saying something about the release timing being a hint about its core and probably the scope of the game:
"If we were to say too much about the timing of release, it would partially touch upon the core of the game, so you can take that as sort of a hint for Project GG."
"If possible, I don't want players to wait too long, but we've got a long "criminal record", so… Even if we feel that way, we don't know if we'll be able to make that a reality." That said, he says it's not a long-term project that will take as long as three years before releasing.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
There's something that they are reiterating in all these interviews, and that is how the game is not entirely focused on its action elements.

It can be read as some sort of a warning to people thinking about it being something akin to The Wonderful 101, Viewtiful Joe or Bayonetta, stage-based games where action is the main focus, as they said that one of the game objectives was precisely to go against user's expectations. Seeing how successful Astral Chain, a game that tries to do multiple things outside its combat sections, was in comparison to other Platinum releases and that the last project Kamiya worked on was Scalebound, an action-RPG, it makes me think that Project G.G. is going to focus more on some sort of adventure gameplay around the city (or cities) the hero is protecting, with the battles against invading giant monsters and some goons mixed in it.

Another approach they could have with this title, moreso if the new Tokyo studio is involved with it, is it being their first live ops game, taking the "villain of the week" literally with different rounds of giant monsters attacking the city and introducing more of them as the time goes, with the player doing tasks around the city when it is not being invaded (helping some of its citizens, defeating some minor goons, repairing the damage done by the monsters and the battles against them or reinforcing it towards the next attack).

I think that Platinum Games is trying to move a bit away of those kind of niche titles with its new projects seeing how many of its attempts at single player pure action games don't reach many players as they would like, trying to keep alive that line of titles by other ways, like the TW101 kickstarter (yes, Bayonetta 3 is still coming, but Inaba commented on how they were experimenting in some way with it, or at least their approach for its development). This worries me as I didn't like how Astral Chain managed its non-combat parts, neither enjoyed it overall as other PG titles, and how the only non action focused game directed by Kamiya, Okami, can be considered as its weakest game, so I don't really know what Platinum and Kamiya can deliver when doing something different to what they are best known for.

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
concept seem pretty generic

also, kamiya working on this means no bayo 3, i already knew it but a lil part of me was still hoping

this if bayo 3 still exist at this point