• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I was involved in the beta testing of this tool and can say it works really well. Good excuse for you to dust yours off I think.

Works with the lock on Sonic & Knuckles titles as well.

Most games are supported, full compatibility list here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lW8ViyN_Sg0hrXCAqGgX0UEYwaWMhrcbJ_GzzNfTNlA/edit

Project Lunar feature list
  • Add your own selection of SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis roms to your console with use on the stock UI
  • Manage your games, mods and configs via purpose built desktop PC application
  • Full NAND backups before any customisation
  • RetroArch bundled with Genesis GX Plus & PicoDrive. (MS,GG,MD,32X, MEGA CD support) (Also capable of playing other consoles by adding additional RetroArch cores)
  • Performance tweaks and boosts (fix lag issues) (1.0ghz > 1.344ghz, ZRAM compression, DRAM SWAP)
  • NAND (console only) and USB support
  • OTG support
  • exFat, NTFS, FAT32 filesystem support
  • Extended gamepad compatibility
  • USB2 and USB3 device support
  • Customisable boot menu with built-in additional option menu & network manager.
  • Ability to autoboot to selected boot items. (i.e. boot directly to stock UI)
  • Additional third-party controller support
  • Automatic Error recovery system (automatically reload to bootmenu if Stock E error occurs)
  • Launch boot menu or RetroArch from the Stock UI
  • EmulationStation support (optional mod package, USB only)
  • 'Fix' stock scanlines by toggling smoothing off within stock emulator
  • Bundled Wi-Fi support (Realtek 8188eu + 8187)
  • RA MD mini cores downablable via RA using network adapter
  • RA scraper and EmulationStation scrapers work using network adapter
  • SSH/SFTP via RDNIS support
  • Boot menu, splashscreen and music are all customisable
  • Additional mod package support
Features to come in 1.1 (or) future rolling update
  • Folder support. Technically we can implement folders as of 1.0, however we want to do it right and integrate it as seamless as possible.
  • Launch different console games from stock UI
  • Custom command "executors" per game. Again, executors are available within 1.0 meaning that you can run any emulator, app or command from the stock UI. This can be done via scripts on the command line however desktop integration will be available in 1.1
  • Bluetooth support
  • Desktop app sync via Wi-Fi/Ethernet. This is also available as of 1.0 but we want to improve it. It is also capable of handling multiple consoles on the same network.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's worth noting that the Sega Genesis Mini is still discounted at some stores, just in case you were holding off for the release of this before purchasing the system.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Isnthe emulation good for those games not included with the console?

Also, any chance to see sega cd or 32x games?

OP
OP

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
Also, any chance to see sega cd or 32x games?

I think in future versions they want to enable Sega CD/32X from the stock UI but this release comes with RetroArch so you if you want you can play them through that.

RetroArch bundled with Genesis GX Plus & PicoDrive. (MS,GG,MD,32X, MEGA CD support) (Also capable of playing other consoles by adding additional RetroArch cores)

edit: Will add the feature list to the OP.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Got one of these and two 6 button controllers for Christmas, so this is right on time. Can't wait to dig into it.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Finally! I'm gonna be tinkering with this all weekend!

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
How's the emulation for other consoles? I have a modded Playstation TV currently and it struggles with a lot of SNES games.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
They did a great job with this. Looks like you can fit quite a few games onto the console without even needing to add a USB stick.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Akira prototype gets released on Xmas Day, and then this gets released a few days later... It's almost like fate.

(Ran it on my MD Mini earlier, it's dead easy)

OP
OP

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
Trying to get it to work, it's not happening--it keeps booting S&K instead; will it only work through Retroarch, or am I just missing something?

Also, no sound for Hyperstone Heist.

Check the CRC of the file you're using with the compatibility list, it needs to be the exact same one to work.

For Hyperstone Heist sadly it seems the music isn't working on that - should be able to run it through RetroArch though.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Check the CRC of the file you're using with the compatibility list, it needs to be the exact same one to work.

For Hyperstone Heist sadly it seems the music isn't working on that - should be able to run it through RetroArch though.

That's a shame, ah well at least I still have access to Turtles in Time.

I think I got the lock-on problem figured out--thanks Duckula!

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I have the Genesis Steam collection that's just ROMs in a folder, will mess around with this later. I just wish EA would do a Genesis classics bundle that's just ROMs in a folder too.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
Found a bug with Mega Turrican intro (Data East, Factor 5 intro) audio is garbled. Rest of the game works fine though.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
"A. Make sure you are not using the Micro USB cable supplied with the SEGA Mega Drive. It doesn't contain data lines and is only capable of power! Try a Micro USB from a different device"
Anyone know if the SNES classic one would work? Is that any different? Its what I've been using for both this and my PS classic instead of having three samey seeming cords hovering about. My only other option'd be PS4 controller cable (I think thats micro usb?).

demi

Oct 27, 2017
"A. Make sure you are not using the Micro USB cable supplied with the SEGA Mega Drive. It doesn't contain data lines and is only capable of power! Try a Micro USB from a different device"
Anyone know if the SNES classic one would work? Is that any different? Its what I've been using for both this and my PS classic instead of having three samey seeming cords hovering about. My only other option'd be PS4 controller cable (I think thats micro usb?).

Yes, if you own a NES or SNES Classic then the USB cable provided works fine.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  • Performance tweaks and boosts (fix lag issues) (1.0ghz > 1.344ghz, ZRAM compression, DRAM SWAP)
I'm not sure if it's just me, but so far the audio delay issue doesn't seem to be fixed, even when I enable the CPU speed increase option.

I'm also unsure if the games run better on Retroarch, haven't tried it yet.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
I've spend some time tonight trying to compile a list of games to add so I'm ready for my next day off. Mostly just stuff I had as a kid for the nostalgia rush

But what are the must-plays left that didn't make the original roster?' I'd like to add those as well just to experience them.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
My list that I've added so far:

Alladin
Alien Soldier
Blades Of Vengeance
Crusader Of Centy
Elemental Master
Gaiares
The Legend Of Galahad
Golden Axe II
Lemmings
Lightening Force (Thunder Force IV)
Mega Turrican
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 3
Bare Knuckle 3
Sunset Riders
Revenge Of Shinobi
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
MUSHA

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Nice.

All I wanted was to maybe add games to the stock UI and emulator and also have the lag and scanlines fixed.

Wonder if a fix for the couple of games that use the different res is coming too? Like Wonder Boy.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Even with the blur removed from the CRT filter leaving just scanlines, it's still not a great display mode for me. They're too dark and you just end up with a dimmer picture overall.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Can confirm that Sonic 3 Complete works, having never encountered it I was surprised by all of the options.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So with the stock games they change region depending on what system language you select, how is this handled with Lunar?

Can I add a game and have it switch regions/artwork with the language toggle or does it just stay whatever region/artwork was loaded regardless of language setting?

Also, I think in one of the updates someone mentioned they were doing a good job creating cover/spine artwork for the scraper using NA games, how easy is it to find JP cover/spine artwork? Mine basically stays in Japanese the whole time, and I'd rather only have NA/EU art on the menu when there is no other option.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
To keep Project Lunar as simple and safe as possible, we don't interfere with the stock console's partition table and therefore use a normally unused partition for the on console base modifications including a slimmed down RetroArch client (which is extendable). This partition isn't available for use by the stock emulator and therefore removing it wouldn't provide any extra usable space for extra games, save states or additional add ons. The RetroArch client was purposefully made so it's extremely lightweight with the option of being extended if the end user wishes to do so.

Huh, so apparently this doesn't use the built-in emulator for added games at all, instead they install one of the RetroArch emulators and completely use that for added games, but just merge the UI together so you don't notice. It makes sense, otherwise you'd have to muck about with the partition table everytime you installed/uninstalled Lunar, but it did surprise me the first time I read that.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love what the project lunar is doing. Hope we get some CRT filter like Sonic Mania. That's my favorite way to play it

Edit: if i want to out more games, do i need to plug my console into PC in admin mode (hold reset)? Or just plug in the console normally into pc?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the 6 button pad a worthy purchase? which games really make good use of it?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is sonic 3 complete and how do people get it?

i have the OG steam genesis collection is it the rom from that?