• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't argue with that feedback. Always worried when surveys are made even more if people act on them with design.

ShinNoNoir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The only issues I had with the demo were unskippable cutscenes (didn't kill the boss in Prim's story on my first attempt) and the visibility was sometimes quite poor in caves. Some slight tweak to collision detection would be an added bonus (on a few occasions I tried to go around a corner, but changed my directional input a tad too early, causing my character to come to a full stop).

I didn't have any issues with the battle system, other than it being different from the Bravely series and I had to learn how to use it effectively.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
oh right i still haven't submitted the survey response yet, and tomorrow is the last day (for jp survey)

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I'm understanding "make the battles more interesting" as complaints about random enemies needing too many hits to die, which wasn't a problem to me as I just burned my points to beat them fast, but people were complaining about this.
I honestly think some of that may come from people who didn't understand the battle system and the break mechanic the first time through, who only used normal attack and none of the other special abilities.

And there still are a lot of people who don't have a full grasp of using all the abilities available, and just how powerful the resource-using skills are.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
This reminds me I never got a link to fill out the survey. :(

Also some of these takeaways are weird. Movement speed felt great to me?

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought all in all it was pretty great. Some of the enemies felt like they had way more health than I felt was necessary, but that was my only real complaint

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe anyone didn't mind the movement speed. Even running, navigating environments felt like a slog. After playing through Trails in the Sky with speed doubled via cheat engine, I just can't go back to spending hours watching the same maps scroll by over and over...

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
I think those are all good complaints. Especially good to see that they know the DoF effect is way too intense on the map.

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
"– Some parts of the map were hard to see"

Bless, I really hope they do something about the awful bloom effect.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like it enough to consider buying it. Random battles man, I feel like that mechanic should stay dead :(

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No mention of an Encounter Toggle? Can't tell you how often I found an off map secret route and couldn't find the way back because you couldn't see it, and then the encounters came out like every 5 steps. X.X...
At least they are tweaking the walk/run speed which was a little too slow. (To the people confused about it above, the walk and RUN speed were slow. But to each their own.)
Skip cutscenes is nice and is what I asked for.
And the bigger text was needed.

But again. ENCOUNTER TOGGLLLEEEEE????? I beg of you, this is literally the only deciding factor I truly have whether I'll buy this or ignore it entirely.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The sprite of the main characters still being chibi in the battle screen sucks ass. I know it was tradition or some such shit but it's not a good one.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree the movement was realllllllyyyyyy sloooooooooow.
I also hope they have the enemies on screen instead of random battles. I HATE random battles. Please.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think some of that may come from people who didn't understand the battle system and the break mechanic the first time through, who only used normal attack and none of the other special abilities.

And there still are a lot of people who don't have a full grasp of using all the abilities available, and just how powerful the resource-using skills are.

This is the impression I had, as well. Even at very low levels, the battles in the demo were brisk once acquainted with the system. The high level villager duels took longer - if they count as 'random' - but even then they certainly weren't excessively protracted.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
This is the impression I had, as well. Even at very low levels, the battles in the demo were brisk once acquainted with the system. The high level villager duels took longer - if they count as 'random' - but even then they certainly weren't excessively protracted.
Exactly. Like even in just the first area with Primrose, on the way to the boss I could get through most battles in 10-15 seconds just because I knew what I was doing.

As someone who's a resource-hoarder, I even admit that I didn't understand the actual mechanics till I fought the boss, and thought that just using the attack option only for all the turns, and even during the breaks, was how I was supposed to play. Battles took minutes long and enemies felt like undying damage sponges. I was playing it wrong, wrong, wrong. This game is definitely not that at all, and I love how much MP-regen potions they gave in the demo too, as if they were trying to say to treat it more like your HP rather than something that must be saved for a special occasion.

I was feeling lukewarm on the battle system when I didn't know what I was doing/playing it wrong. Once I was fighting the boss for the third time, I had this moment where it all clicked, I figured out what I skipped over in the tutorial, that every UI element onscreen served a purpose, I got the brilliance of the break system, and I was suddenly planning all my attacks four turns in advance, annihilating everything. When I played as Olberic I was able to go through all the encounters very quickly, and since I had the menus finally in muscle-memory, everything went fast.

And overall, I just love the Break mechanic. Rather than it being about using turns and when to go into the red, it's more about the potency of the attacks and the timing of when to use attacks/abilities/buffs. Planning out long-term strategies 4-8 turns in advance for harder enemies to maximize opportunity and damage was incredibly satisfying. And since you always get a point per turn no matter what, the game very quickly gives you the chance to end things with haste.

Last edited:

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume battles will be shorter when you get more party members. My main gripe was monsters having far too much health for the start of the game for just one character to deal with.

jabel

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Game is almost perfect for me. People complaining about the movement speed didnt use the run button maybe?

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Even after figuring out the break mechanic and charging up moves, I felt the enemies still were a bit on the HP-spongey side. Perhaps lowering their HP but in turn balancing so they hit a bit harder would do more to make the battles feel 'fresh'. That, and repetitive voice clips

I AM READY
I AM READY
I AM READY

were my main issues with the demo, from playing both routes.

But I am eagerly awaiting the game, especially if they take the feedback into account. Octopath is to SaGa what Bravely is to FF, (even the music recalls Kenji Ito and the monster/art style reminds me so much of RS3) and that right there sells me.

Oct 27, 2017
A minor nitpick but itd be cool if they could add in Victory Animations when a battle is finished . Idk why but it makes it feel more satisfying

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
My gripes with the inventory were mainly when buying or selling from the merchant - no option to equip after buying or option to sell old weapon/armour after replacing with better version, which is pretty much standard in rpgs nowadays.

Also the skipping events thing as I died a few times to the boss with Primrose before going back and grinding a couple of levels.

Don't see what was wrong with the combat. Thought that was solid.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Like even in just the first area with Primrose, on the way to the boss I could get through most battles in 10-15 seconds just because I knew what I was doing.

As someone who's a resource-hoarder, I even admit that I didn't understand the actual mechanics till I fought the boss, and thought that just using the attack option only for all the turns, and even during the breaks, was how I was supposed to play. Battles took minutes long and enemies felt like undying damage sponges. I was playing it wrong, wrong, wrong. This game is definitely not that at all, and I love how much MP-regen potions they gave in the demo too, as if they were trying to say to treat it more like your HP rather than something that must be saved for a special occasion.

I was feeling lukewarm on the battle system when I didn't know what I was doing/playing it wrong. Once I was fighting the boss for the third time, I had this moment where it all clicked, I figured out what I skipped over in the tutorial, that every UI element onscreen served a purpose, I got the brilliance of the break system, and I was suddenly planning all my attacks four turns in advance, annihilating everything. When I played as Olberic I was able to go through all the encounters very quickly, and since I had the menus finally in muscle-memory, everything went fast.

And overall, I just love the Break mechanic. Rather than it being about using turns and when to go into the red, it's more about the potency of the attacks and the timing of when to use attacks/abilities/buffs. Planning out long-term strategies 4-8 turns in advance for harder enemies to maximize opportunity and damage was incredibly satisfying. And since you always get a point per turn no matter what, the game very quickly gives you the chance to end things with haste.
That was exactly my experience. I started with Primrose and just felt like I was playing wrong for the longest time, I never felt like I was fighting correctly and that I had to utilize her ability to gain temporal party members in a different way then I was doing. Then I reached the boss and about twice before the third time everything clicked.

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
Mmmm. Quite good feedback. I'm sold on the game as it is. Having some improvements implemented will only sweeten the deal for me.

Now SQEX, give us a date please.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
They should just take a look at Bravely Default: For The Sequel to have the perfect Misc. and Settings. (Toggles for Random Encounter Rate, etc)

and while I loved the demo, to make the gameplay more interesting, Brave and Default system was fantastic, and dynamic, so maybe they should make it like that or similar.