• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
rip

5EseHpn.gif

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on, I just thought about this...

So the game was officially revealed back in September 2018 (with some minor talk prior to this).

Baba left Square last couple months...

Then Square Enix just removes all references to the studio and website...

...What even happened!? That's such a short amount of time for all this to just fall apart.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So the game was officially revealed back in September 2018 (with some minor talk prior to this).

...What even happened!? That's such a short amount of time for all this to just fall apart.

Perhaps it was already on shaky ground and the reception to the announcement was tepid enough to convince them to kill it?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

My guess is SE trying to consolidate. Baba and Tabata both leaving within a month of each other with their projects being cancelled probably isn't a coincidence.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is SE trying to consolidate. Baba and Tabata both leaving within a month of each other with their projects being cancelled probably isn't a coincidence.
As I said at the time I just hope Asano gets to continue his stuff.

I also wonder if they did actually kill the MIA Babylon's Fall?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So did Baba leave or was he fired? :/

At this point, you wonder how many projects they actually want to do.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As I said at the time I just hope Asano gets to continue his stuff.

I also wonder if they did actually kill the MIA Babylon's Fall?

Babylon's Fall was supposed to release THIS year. So doubtful. Maybe it got pushed to early 2020.

Asano should be fine. Bravely and Octopath both did well, and he wants his studio to generate a game a year--four IPs coming out on a cycle.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What even was this though? What platform? Switch? Looks mobile, which isn't a bad thing, since I like mobile.

It's also (slimly) possible they're taking all the media and info down for a rebranding. But I wouldn't hold our collective breath.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, the style made it look more interesting for me than the recent FF games. Shame if it's dead, would've loved to see how this would have ended up.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the trailer reception had anything to do with it, what do they expect out of a trailer with one guy running on nondescript landscape?

I'm not saying it's reasonable, just that it might be the logic.
Babylon's Fall was supposed to release THIS year. So doubtful. Maybe it got pushed to early 2020.

Asano should be fine. Bravely and Octopath both did well, and he wants his studio to generate a game a year--four IPs coming out on a cycle.

Well if they're consolidating and want to concentrate on their AAA bread and butter the team making mid-tier games for Nintendo platforms would be the first to go.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Tabata's project wasn't cancelled, though. If you're talking about the new next-gen game that the Luminous studio is making. It's still coming.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This never looked very good and with Baba leaving recently I wouldn't be surprised. Wonder if the team still exists or if they were sucked into SE proper.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They were having trouble recruiting folks for their huge projects, let along starting new franchises, so I can sort of understand it. It's still a shame though, since SE could use an agile team that releases an ~AAish RPG every 2 years or so, ala Tales Of.

The studio was announced in February 2017, and then the reveal in 2018 came along with a bunch of job postings for working on it. Afterwards, there were a bunch of Square folks like Kitase and Nomura talking about how difficult it was to source local developers in the current climate. Like I assumed above, I just kind of expect they had trouble getting a sizable and experienced enough team together, and the whole thing was moving too slowly.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope Asano's Team is safe, I mean Octopath was a little hit right?

Also what about Tokyo RPG Factory?
Their games were never that good but the last one looked promising as it was an action RPG.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. It was early and a little rough, but I liked the art style they were going with.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Asano's Team is safe, I mean Octopath was a little hit right?

Also what about Tokyo RPG Factory?
Their games were never that good but the last one looked promising as it was an action RPG.

Okinaki is pretty much on track, it's still getting advertised and seems to be in the polishing phase, if not done already. That said I've heard TRPGF's games didn't perform well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the chopping block if that game underperforms.

To be honest I'm fine with these cancellations if it means SE has a better handle on its games and their production to avert things like Left Alive and Quiet Man.

So long as people get to keep their jobs, and the projects weren't super far into development, I'm not tooooo worried. All we knew about this game was it was kinda pretty, probably an action RPG (?), and the main dude had bad fashion sense and a silly walk cycle.