• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did anyone get a confirmation email after signing up for the beta? Just wanna make sure my emails not being funky.

Bc Turns out I haven't had an email from Resident Evil Ambassador since July last year. Weird.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty disappointed from what I saw. It just feels like capcom keeps dangling the possible Outbreak game carrot and just keeps stringing it along with each new possible outbreak game. They were SO CLOSE to making a legit outbreak game. You can definitely see a lot of inspiration in this too with the Melee combat, classes with unique abilites, 4 player everyday folks etc. I just wanted RE2 remake, but with 4 players, scenarios, and an interesting story, puzzles and A.I controlled enemies/bosses. So close capcom...so damn close....but missed the mark.

It seems like they really conveyed how the game is a project and not a full blown title and is going to be priced accordingly which is endearing. I'll for sure try it out and signed up for the beta, but It's not the game I was hoping for as I expected.

But who knows, the foundation at least has ALL the makings of being a legit Outbreak which is somewhat endearing at least.

Last edited:

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Large black man named Tyrone is a "tank" that can take less abuse by literally roaring like an animal

Capcom actually greenlighted this.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
During the first part of the trailer I kept thinking "please let me play as the bad guy, please let me play as the bad guy!" That seems the best part about this and could be fun. Everything else though? The characters, setting, atmosphere and gameplay looks totally uninspired. Why does capcom has to butcher this franchise every once in a while?!

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Ummm... please tell me that stereotypical French VA is actually part of the game and wasn't added to whatever Max was watching as a joke, hahaha wuuuuut.
My lord that ending...

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to be the first one to admit I actually thought this had the potential to be the next RE Outbreak. It really isn't, and it confirmed the arcade/action focus the reveal trailer had.

IMO, this looks terrible and it makes me really sad. :(

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Edit : Accidentally quoted.

This being part of resi 3 and not an actual game has got to be bogus right ? The way people at capcom are talking about this ( at least the English speakers) is going to seem extremely wierd in hindsight if it's true, like someone coming out and revealing they are the game director ( is it possible to be game director of a mode in a game ? ) And Matt walker saying stuff like this

Why would he talk like that way in that Twitter thread if this is just going to be a mode in resident evil 3 ?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This being part of resi 3 and not an actual game has got to be bogus right ? The way people at capcom are talking about this ( at least the English speakers) is going to seem extremely wierd in hindsight if it's true, like someone coming out and revealing they are the game director ( is it possible to be game director of a mode in a game ? ) And Matt walker saying stuff like this

Why would he talk like that way in that Twitter thread if this is just going to be a mode in resident evil 3 ?

I don't think it's part of RE3 as well. That said, I believe RE7 DLCs were developed by other studios. And although they were DLCs, they could have very well been a bonus mode to the main game (indeed I would argue Not a Hero should absolutely have been). So it wouldn't be something new.

It's a very weird way to announce it though.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
Edit : Accidentally quoted.

Wasn't the "leak" that it started as a bonus mode but then they decided to make it a full game and outsource it to another company so that they could make it? Regardless, I don't believe it. I seriously doubt this ever had anything to do with a remake of 3. I hope the gameplay of 3's remake is nothing like this.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's part of RE3 as well. That said, I believe RE7 DLCs were developed by other studios. And although they were DLCs, they could have very well been a bonus mode to the main game (indeed I would argue Not a Hero should absolutely have been). So it wouldn't be something new.

I'm not doubting the outsourcing but it's just a super wierd situation if true. There's also the gap between this being announced and resident evil 3 remake actually being announced which I'm guessing isn't till next E3 at the minimum, beta testing a multiplayer mode for a game that probably won't come out before January 2021 ? Nah I don't think that's happening.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm not doubting the outsourcing but it's just a super wierd situation if true. There's also the gap between this being announced and resident evil 3 remake actually being announced which I'm guessing isn't till next E3 at the minimum, beta testing a multiplayer mode for a game that probably won't come out before January 2021 ? Nah I don't think that's happening.

Nothing is hard confirmed as always, but it being a part of RE3 is the word on the street. Revealing REsistance as it's own thing works in a multitude of ways. Some that could be due marketing.

If say MS or Sony have marketing/reveal for RE3, then showing of a supplemental mode isn't a stretch. As capcom has to show off something to investors that more is on the way, as before this showing there were no titles past Megaman Zero Collection in January.

The other aspect is mainly on feedback which Matt even brings up. Seems the team and capcom are really big on making sure this is a good title for MP (and the feedback has been as much).

From a value proposition, Capcom loves combining things that would cost more separately into a bundle. So Resistance stand-alone could very well be a thing, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see it bundled with RE3 to push players and units. As the biggest complaints for RE2 and RE7 have been replayability for those less hardcore players not looking to rub madhouse or no save runs.

Regardless, I think the big takeaway here is that said mode being a part of RE3 or not doesn't impact RE3 itself. Seems like a lot of concern is due to thinking "the quality of this means this is the quality of RE3" which I doubt would be the case.

The last piece of it all is that RE3 as a whole could be sooner than Jan 2021. Like I said nothing concrete, but the possibility is there with what has been going around.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the gameplay and the last part was hillarious!! "What is this motherf***** buls***" lol

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

It isn't really. We all know no one would even be talking about the MP component if it was announced with RE3 at the same time. A MP mode needs feedback as soon as possible if you're looking to make a game that can be supported and played for a long while, some of the most popular MP games currently did such a move.

I do believe Capcom misinterpreted how Savage & entitled the RE fanbase can be however. As even I would've expected less attacks on staff after Re7 and RE2 just 8 months ago showed they know what they're doing.

But apparently the idea of "not everything in the series will be for me" is just too much for some to handle.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is hard confirmed as always, but it being a part of RE3 is the word on the street. Revealing REsistance as it's own thing works in a multitude of ways. Some that could be due marketing.

If say MS or Sony have marketing/reveal for RE3, then showing of a supplemental mode isn't a stretch. As capcom has to show off something to investors that more is on the way, as before this showing there were no titles past Megaman Zero Collection in January.

The other aspect is mainly on feedback which Matt even brings up. Seems the team and capcom are really big on making sure this is a good title for MP (and the feedback has been as much).

From a value proposition, Capcom loves combining things that would cost more separately into a bundle. So Resistance stand-alone could very well be a thing, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see it bundled with RE3 to push players and units. As the biggest complaints for RE2 and RE7 have been replayability for those less hardcore players not looking to rub madhouse or no save runs.

Regardless, I think the big takeaway here is that said mode being a part of RE3 or not doesn't impact RE3 itself. Seems like a lot of concern is due to thinking "the quality of this means this is the quality of RE3" which I doubt would be the case.

The last piece of it all is that RE3 as a whole could be sooner than Jan 2021. Like I said nothing concrete, but the possibility is there with what has been going around.

It being a standalone game and then releasing with resident evil 3 makes alot more sense to me ( even if that would be kinda crappy for people who all ready brought it standalone).
I was only saying Jan 2021 because of capcom's recent love of jan-march release windows, I would die for a release earlier than that haha.
i wasn't trying to call you out or anything btw with my beliefs of this not being part of resident evil 3, i just thought it all didn't add up.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It isn't really. We all know no one would even be talking about the MP component if it was announced with RE3 at the same time. A MP mode needs feedback as soon as possible if you're looking to make a game that can be supported and played for a long while, some of the most popular MP games currently did such a move.

I do believe Capcom misinterpreted how Savage & entitled the RE fanbase can be however. As even I would've expected less attacks on staff after Re7 and RE2 just 8 months ago showed they know what they're doing.

But apparently the idea of "not everything in the series will be for me" is just too much for some to handle.

Can you think of another game that did this? A mode so divorced from the main game that can be tested without actually announcing it? My impression for what I've read concerning Project RE is that Capcom is not sure what to do with it. They will use the fan reaction exactly to decide what direction to take.

As far as reaction goes, I don't think the reaction was that negative at first (just compare to stuff like the The Last Jedi, Game of Thrones or that Diablo mobile game). If you look at the first teaser it has a relatively health 13k likes/2.2k dislikes in youtube. Hardly a overhwelming positive response, but it only got really bad when they showed gameplay.

But yeah, although I wasn't surprised by people's reaction, it's a bit disappointed how people can go from Capcom is back to Capcom is back to being bad. The game deserve a chance at least, and it's not like we're getting this instead of r3make or re8. And any attack directed at the staff is inexcusable and shameful. I hope there hasn't been too much of that.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It being a standalone game and then releasing with resident evil 3 makes alot more sense to me ( even if that would be kinda crappy for people who all ready brought it standalone).
I was only saying Jan 2021 because of capcom's recent love of jan-march release windows, I would die for a release earlier than that haha.
i wasn't trying to call you out or anything btw with my beliefs of this not being part of resident evil 3, i just thought it all didn't add up.

I definitely don't claim to know anything 100%, I get info that goes all over the place like everyone else. So I understand why you and other would be hesitant. Hell, I am too. I just like playing capcom detective on why things might pan out a certain way lol.

Can you think of another game that did this? A mode so divorced from the main game that can be tested without actually announcing it? My impression for what I've read concerning Project RE is that Capcom is not sure what to do with it. They will use the fan reaction exactly to decide what direction to take.

As far as reaction goes, I don't think the reaction was that negative at first (just compare to stuff like the The Last Jedi, Game of Thrones or that Diablo mobile game). If you look at the first teaser it has a relatively health 13k likes/2.2k dislikes in youtube. Hardly a overhwelming positive response, but it only got really bad when they showed gameplay.

But yeah, although I wasn't surprised by people's reaction, it's a bit disappointed how people can go from Capcom is back to Capcom is back to being bad. The game deserve a chance at least, and it's not like we're getting this instead of r3make or re8. And any attack directed at the staff is inexcusable and shameful. I hope there hasn't been too much of that.

Definitely can understand that, however there's always a first for everything. While a bit opposite, PT is a good example of something that wasn't ever expected to be something else until it was.

When it comes to the reaction there has definitely been some bad apples and the trailer cut might play a part it how the reception has been. People playing it have been positive and watching the full playthrough clips show how much more "survival horror" it is rather than the non-stop action the trailer showed off.
So I'm hoping things will turn around for the reception with the closed beta. Not like the game is being forced on anyone afterall.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018

"Capcom is back" is a meme anyway, the gen is almost ending and they didn't release half as many good games they did during the PS3/X360/Wii era, also Capcom is extremely risk adverse now, they simply avoid creating any new IP. It seems that releasing 3-4 games fans wanted was enough to establish a positive zeitgeist in the gaming sphere.

Also, I assure you the negative response has nothing to do with the game itself, but because 1) it isn't a new Outbreak; 2) it's a multiplayer action title. Monster Hunter World was filled with terrible animations and hitbox problems that are unacceptable in 2018, and yet the game was well received.

Oct 27, 2017

I guess the disappointment comes from fans seeing another title that shares concerning similarities with other failed "trying to take the franchise in new 'exciting' directions" attempts. The community has been very vocal about what they want for years, and apparently, Project REsistancence, or at least what has been shown, is not on that list.

Personally, I think it is great they are trying to "branch out" and develop new spin-offs. However, what they are (constantly) trying to do, to force these "action-packed" features to an intrinsically slow, methodic, horror "game loop", is not the way to go. I think here, the effort (and risk) seems minimal. It honestly almost feels like a cash-in.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I guess the disappointment comes from fans seeing another title that shares concerning similarities with other failed "trying to take the franchise in new 'exciting' directions" attempts. The community has been very vocal about what they want for years, and apparently, Project REsistancence, or at least what has been shown, is not on that list.

Personally, I think it is great they are trying to "branch out" and develop new spin-offs. However, what they are (constantly) trying to do, to force these "action-packed" features to an intrinsically slow, methodic, horror "game loop", is not the way to go. I think here, the effort (and risk) seems minimal. It honestly almost feels like a cash-in.

I've always felt there's a part of the fanbase that's a bit to apprehensive to change & style. There's a whole generation of RE fan that's down for the experimental or action considering how an entire decade + was RE4-6 with spinoffs and the RE films.

I've definitely always understood the concern that capcom leans to much on one style over another when they start getting into things. But seeing this much negativity on a side-title that will have no bearing on RE3, RE8, etc is just a shame.

There's a point where you can only do so much to ease people into new ideas that just slow the entire creative process.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

A positive first impressions:
I found that playing as the Survivors was a solid Resident Evil experience, but with the added element of everyone working together, trying to evade the zombies and escape. Because the maps are cramped, however, sometimes it seemed like all the Survivors could get clumped up together in confined areas. The co-op experience is good, and there is the same sense of dread in traditional Resident Evil games. The way that is recreated in a multiplayer co-op was impressive.

What I really liked was how difficult the Mastermind experience was. Shooting a zombie in the face is satisfying in Resident Evil, but when you are the Mastermind, doing something as simple as turning out the lights was also equally satisfying—and for the players, unnerving and frightening. The Project Resistance demo understood what makes horror so effective for those who are being pursued and for those doing the persuing. What could be a deeper understanding of what Resident Evil is than that?

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but this seems like a straight replication of an old Half Life 2 mod - Zombie Master, if anybody remembers that. It was janky as all hell, but tons of fun with a full server. Hopefully this might replicate at least some of that experience.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
I've always felt there's a part of the fanbase that's a bit to apprehensive to change & style. There's a whole generation of RE fan that's down for the experimental or action considering how an entire decade + was RE4-6 with spinoffs and the RE films.

I've definitely always understood the concern that capcom leans to much on one style over another when they start getting into things. But seeing this much negativity on a side-title that will have no bearing on RE3, RE8, etc is just a shame.

There's a point where you can only do so much to ease people into new ideas that just slow the entire creative process.
The RE fanbase tends to act entitled and will oppose anything that isn't True Resident Evil™️, not even a spin-off*. Thing is, they don't want to admit that action and multiplayer are established elements of the franchise that will never go away. They simply don't want Capcom to appeal half of the franchise's userbase, as if these people don't matter. Also, it's funny to see the cash-cow argument when RE7 was so low-budget and contentless despite being a $60 product. It would be ironic if REsistance ends having more content than RE7, but for a lower price. The TGS demo alone had more enemy diversity than the entire RE7 game.

*Except RE4. It's cool and cult to like RE4.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The RE fanbase tends to act entitled and will oppose anything that isn't True Resident Evil™️, not even a spin-off*. Thing is, they don't want to admit that action and multiplayer are established elements of the franchise that will never go away. They simply don't want Capcom to appeal half of the franchise's userbase, as if these people don't matter. Also, it's funny to see the cash-cow argument when RE7 was so low-budget and contentless despite being a $60 product. It would be ironic if REsistance ends having more content than RE7, but for a lower price. The TGS demo alone had more enemy diversity than the entire RE7 game.

Whenever i think i'm seeing people in this fanbase being reasonable and trying to embrace new stuff, i read posts like this one above.

No thank you, apparently some individuals are incapable of praising one thing without shitting on anything else. Feels like this community deserves unreasonable arguments and the mob mentality it has, smh.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Whenever i think i'm seeing people in this fanbase being reasonable and trying to embrace new stuff, i read posts like this one above.

No thank you, apparently some individuals are incapable of praising one thing without shitting on anything else. Feels like this community deserves unreasonable arguments and the mob mentality it has, smh.
I'm not a fan and nothing that I said was untrue. There's a massive anti-multiplayer, anti-action sentiment in the RE community. Capcom isn't simply allowed to make these kind of games without suffering a massive backlash, there's a reason Project REsistance is a very low-budget title. If it fails they will barely lose money.

Also, I'm being reasonable. I'm aware that half of the userbase prefer games like RE7 (which I personally hated). My problem is that apparently the millions of people who would like to play a new coop TPS RE game aren't relevant. They don't even deserve a spin-off, because fans feel the need to monopolize the whole series for themselves.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not a fan and nothing that I said was untrue. There's a massive anti-multiplayer, anti-action sentiment in the RE community. Capcom isn't simply allowed to make these kind of games without suffering a massive backlash, there's a reason Project REsistance is a very low-budget title. If it fails they will barely lose money.

Also, I'm being reasonable. I'm aware that half of the userbase prefer games like RE7 (which I personally hated). My problem is that apparently the millions of people who would like to play a new coop TPS RE game aren't relevant. They don't even deserve a spin-off, because fans feel the need to monopolize the whole series for themselves.
Eh, lots of people would like action RE back. Like you said, half of the vocal fanbase is for more old school RE, and the other half is about the more action one. Then there's the rest of the fanbase that doesn't talk much.
I don't think that many people are against multiplayer, but you could see many expecting something closer to something like L4D VS mode, or a new Outbreak.

This isn't really a multiplayer focus problem here, it just doesn't look polished nor particularly interesting.

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Eh, lots of people would like action RE back. Like you said, half of the vocal fanbase is for more old school RE, and the other half is about the more action one. Then there's the rest of the fanbase that doesn't talk much.
I don't think that many people are against multiplayer, but you could see many expecting something closer to something like L4D VS mode, or a new Outbreak.

This isn't really a multiplayer focus problem here, it just doesn't look polished nor particularly interesting.
I don't recall ever seeing half of the fanbase being vocal about action RE, usually these people are a minority. Also, all fans are consumers, but a consumer isn't always a fan (like myself), hence I said "half of the userbase", not "fanbase".

"This isn't really a multiplayer focus problem here, it just doesn't look polished nor particularly interesting."

The mastermind mode looks more interesting and fun than anything Capcom made with the franchise in years. There are sooo many criticism that boils down "this isn't the Outbreak reboot I wanted" and "this has nothing to do with RE". Yes, you can find rational criticism (the melee feedback indeed looks bad), but they are buried among the rest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I just hope we can get to a point where RE can try new things without being punished when they do so. The IP is so versatile that it being able to be Horror, Action, MP, and more is why I love it so much. So it always bothers me when people feel it has to be only ONE thing. There's a reason RE has been around so long and it's not because they stuck with keeping it one thing.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I just hope we can get to a point where RE can try new things without being punished when they do so. The IP is so versatile that it being able to be Horror, Action, MP, and more is why I love it so much. So it always bothers me when people feel it has to be only ONE thing. There's a reason RE has been around so long and it's not because they stuck with keeping it one thing.

QFT!

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
They can try new things, but they will get punished if their offering is mediocre.

Oct 28, 2017

It's cool and cult to like RE4 because it's good. Make a good game and people will like it. Action, horror, single player or multiplayer.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's cool and cult to like RE4 because it's good. Make a good game and people will like it. Action, horror, single player or multiplayer.
They can try new things, but they will get punished if their offering is mediocre.

I still don't think it would be that easy. It's easy to look back at RE4 and go "See people don't mind" but that was also a vastly different time for RE.
When RE4 came out, RE fatigue prior to its release was at a all time high. So even if there was some push back to the change, there was far more willingness to give it a chance as the formula at that needed the change.

While I wouldn't really say "Action RE" fatigue ever came in, the quality and tone definitely wasn't to the preference of a vocal part of the fanbase. If Capcom announced RE3make tomorrow that played like RE6. There wouldn't be that same sort of willingness to give it a chance from that certain part of the fanbase even after positive reviews.

All things considered, RE4 was at the right place at the right time and was a genre shaping entry. It's rather hard to follow that up in any form and even the likes of RE2make wasn't able to despite being the closest.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
The funny thing is that this is one of the least actiony multiplayer Resident Evils, so it has managed to harness a lot of negativity from both sides of the fandom.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My biggest issue with the negative reception isn't that people don't like it, they're obviously entitled to that opinion; it's the sentiment of "I don't like this so WHY are they making it." Or the "nobody asked for this." 🙄

Like get a grip, people like things you don't.

This series as mentioned above by Jaw is so unique, in a way where the series is very experimental and can be more than just a horror game, or just an action game. Every Resident Evil game is so different, especially the spin offs; and it takes nothing away from the main series.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I can just about guarantee you, if they had gone with a more outbreak style formula it would've had a great reception. Making a 4v1 game like this isn't "trying new things", this game already exists they're just skinning it as RE. I'm all for new things, but this doesn't seem good at all and I will almost certainly not be bothering with it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It looks like shit. Like honestly, total crap. Looks worse then 6. There's so many reused assets, like I said before, i'm getting huge MGS Survive flashbacks with the game.

It's like they ripped the skin off Resident Evil 2 Remake, a beloved and universally loved game, and are parading it on a horrible monster whose wearing it's skin like a coat.

If it has to be an action focused title, give me something Dead Spacey like Resident Evil 4 (Which was a fine balance between horror and action). Or fuck, a HUNK spin off (I would play the shit out of something like the Fourth Survivor, but a full game, balance HUNK's insane combat skills with the fact it's hard as balls) I wouldn't even mind a first person tactical first person Resident Evil like Not a Hero, or a condemned criminal origins style Joe Baker full game. Anything but this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
🤔 This Concept art for Project Resistance kinda looks familiar

EEZC0GKWkAEy8-Y

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I would not be surprised if Neobards becomes Capcom Taiwan in the next 3 years.

This this their fifth collaboration together; they've also collaborated on Devil May Cry HD Collection, Onimusha: Warlords, and Resident Evil Origins Collection (this one for Switch).
Also the split up DMC ports on Switch. Seems like Neobards is Dev 1's favorite new contractor. Sorry Tose.