• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they make naming between lockhart and anaconda simple for consumers. Regular people don't know what S or X means. Make it:

Xbox "whatever"
Xbox "whatever" Pro

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As it was with Xbox 360 and Xbox One, I fully expect this new console to have a weird name that someone at Microsoft got paid way too much to think up, and which is mostly only going to be used as part of the first cycle of the console's marketing, but which we will all grudgingly and gradually come to accept and not think about through sheer repetitiveness and exposure.

(I'm actually quite pleasant at parties, to answer your next question. Never the life of 'em, but never a scene-causer either.)

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Xbox Trinity (Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

or Xbox Quintet (Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Anaconda, Xcloud)

:)

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this was answered already but....

"Our naming convention has been around what we think the capabilities are," he continued. "Xbox 360 was about the entertainment experience around the box and the box being in the center of that entertainment experience. Xbox One, if you remember our branding early on, was 'always on input, all in one'. Those names were really built around the purpose of the box.

So 360 and One were named after their capabilities but then he said this:

"I don't feel like I need to follow in their footsteps because they're kind of self-contained," Spencer concluded.

So he's not following in their footsteps meaning it will be NOT named after it's capabilities. Or am I misreading the whole thing?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this was answered already but....

So 360 and One were named after their capabilities but then he said this:

So he's not following in their footsteps meaning it will be NOT named after it's capabilities. Or am I misreading the whole thing?

Meaning he doesn't need to name the next Xbox "Xbox One______" to match up with the last Xbox. Each box is different so will be named accordingly

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the name being roundly ridiculed for a few months before we all just quietly accept it as reality.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Meaning he doesn't need to name the next Xbox "Xbox One______" to match up with the last Xbox. Each box is different so will be named accordingly

Yea that much I got but it almost sounded like it didn't have to be named after the capabilities either. So it could also be "Xbox 5" (as an example).

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yea that much I got but it almost sounded like it didn't have to be named after the capabilities either. So it could also be "Xbox 5" (as an example).

It could definitely be but they'll probably come up with a reason why it's named 5. They named the box 360 so they could have a number that was bigger than PS3, but then came up with a reason to name it that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Xbox Multiplatform, the One you want it even tho you don´t need it to play any game !
Thank me later uncle Phil !

Bricky

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say Xbox 10 is the most boring but safest bet in this thread. If the leaked specs are true they'd be able to claim it is roughly ten times as powerful as the original Xbox One and it's a no-nonsense name for marketing purposes (One S, Ten S. Windows 10, Xbox 10).

Edit: Just realized they could launch on 20/10/20 or 10/10/2020.

Last edited:

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
They should just go for Xbox 5 to end their weird naming.

Yeah, it's technically not their fifth independent console but they can't go with the name Xbox 4 when they compete with the PS5. They could just count the One X as its own thing if they need a reason to name it 5. MS and other tech companies have left out numbers all the time for marketing reasons. They could do the same with Xbox.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The name should be something with easy search engine optimization capability. I really like just "Xbox" but it could cause an issue with search and online engagement tracking metrics.

I think of the names listed here, the one I like best is "Infinite", but I don't think that's what it will be.

Xbox Direct (X and S)? Direct X + games coming directly to you (xCloud and Gamepass). Kinda rubbish name though. [Direct Xbox Direct X]
Xbox Neo (X and S)? Taken from the new Surface line coming in 2020. Also rubbish name though.

I'm sure it'll be something new and perfectly adequate.

Xbox RT X (I think nVidia would have a problem with this).
Xbox RT S

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
The Xbox XStream. It is two fold, for both extreme and also for streaming games as the future of gaming.