• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I think the whole Game Pass Library will be able to run on XCloud. The library is smaller and Microsoft can easily talk with all the developers on the service to allow their games on Game Pass to also run on XCloud. Whereas if it's via the Xbox Store it's more complicated.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Every xCloud thread eventually does. Some Game Pass threads as well (though that's rarer).

To be fair, those 50+ games on xCloud is just for the testing phase, I personally expect it to be at least the entire Game Pass catalogue (200+ titles) at launch, though there's no real reason every single Xbox title can't be streamed (if you own them) which seems to be the direction Microsoft is heading.

For now though, you're right.
It's clearly a new battleground. I expect game totals, resolutions, and prices to shift wildly over the next 12-18 months. We're going to be getting detailed performance analysis on all 3. I expect both next gen controllers to be WiFi equipped. We're just in the opening volley right now. This is going to be TV streaming all over again. With Starlink supposedly going live next year, game streaming might become a reality that suddenly becomes possible for literally billions of people currently on slow or no internet. I expect more players to get involved including Apple and maybe Nintendo, with Netflix and Amazon possible too.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I already have GeForce now, shadow costs too much
GeForce Now is currently really poor, technically speaking and from a usability point of view, but I assume it'll improve on both counts.

I don't get your comment about cost, though. If you want to stream Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K when it comes out, on a range of devices, then a month of Shadow will cost you about ÂŁ35, rather than the ÂŁ150 it'll cost you to buy a Stadia Founder's Edition. And you'll also own a license for the game that isn't tied to a particular ecosystem. In fact, if you buy it from GOG, you'll get it DRM free.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I mean yes, but the people comparing Stadia and xCloud are just pointing out that xCloud, which is still in testing, seems better in most ways (besides power) compared to Stadia which is a really bad look for Stadia.
But power is important. I'm sure Google won't have issues with catalog growing over time either. Not that those 50 games are exactly stellar either, RDR2 alone running at 4k is probably much more appealing for example.
The problem, imo, for Google, is the approach, needing to buy games, not being able to download them, instead of a subscription model

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GeForce Now is currently really poor, technically speaking and from a usability point of view, but I assume it'll improve on both counts.

I don't get your comment about cost, though. If you want to stream Cyberpunk 2077 in 4K when it comes out, on a range of devices, then a month of Shadow will cost you about ÂŁ35, rather than the ÂŁ150 it'll cost you to buy a Stadia Founder's Edition.
That's only one game, shadow will cost me 35 every time I want to use it, the cost will catch up fast, and I don't have to buy the founders edition if I didn't want to I could wait and use stadia without buying hardware next year

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I said that xCloud would be included to GamePass years ago...now we don't know specifically if it's another SKU of Game Pass (like ultimate) but I still believe it will be at every level of GamePass.
From Xbox Wire:
EUGvsJm.png

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that has spent thousands of dollars in the Xbox ecosystem, I'm upset that I still don't have an xcloud invite.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
So far I've tried out two games on the preview program. Shadow of the tomb raider and Darksiders 3.

The games looks great. There is noticeable input lag but seems plausible for single player games.

Playing on Wi-Fi on a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

I really like how my saves from the game transfer seamlessly.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes stadia didn't answer a lot of questions at the initial reveal and everyone in here went crazy negative

Microsoft shows xcloud today and doesn't answer a lot of questions and everyone is positive

Wait, you honestly think you are impartial and objective?

(Also, it's because context and past behaviour.)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you honestly think you are impartial and objective?

(Also, it's because context and past behaviour.)
Yes I want xcloud and PSnow to be like stadia and none of those questions were answered, I want all 3 services to be similar and sell new games

I want stadia to replace my pc
I want xcloud to replace my Xbox
I want PSnow to replace ps5

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
What I get from all of this is that xCloud is just another Xbox that you rent instead of buying. If you want to play Xbox Game Pass on console ? Buy an Xbox. If you want to play Xbox Game Pass games on PC ? Buy a PC ? If you want to play them in the cloud, sign up for the XCloud Subscription.

I don't think we should assume that xCloud will be included in the regular Xbox Game Pass Tier for free, but more than "Xbox Game Pass" will be available on xCloud, the platform.

Nov 23, 2017
What I get from all of this is that xCloud is just another Xbox that you rent instead of buying. If you want to play Xbox Game Pass on console ? Buy an Xbox. If you want to play Xbox Game Pass games on PC ? Buy a PC ? If you want to play them in the cloud, sign up for the XCloud Subscription.

I don't think we should assume that xCloud will be included in the regular Xbox Game Pass Tier for free, but more than "Xbox Game Pass" will be available on xCloud, the platform.
There are many, many games on Xboz game pass that aren't on PC Game pass, so this makes no sense.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's only one game, shadow will cost me 35 every time I want to use it, the cost will catch up fast, and I don't have to buy the founders edition if I didn't want to I could wait and use stadia without buying hardware next year
OK. I mean, you're still paying a Stadia subscription if you want to play in 4K year, which is ÂŁ9 p/m. That's definitely a cheaper option. It's still a cost, though.

For me, the bigger issue would be this: I can pay ÂŁ120 now (I had the founder's edition price wrong earlier, sorry) to get into Stadia and play twelve games in 4K, or for the same price I can play literally any PC game I want, on high (and in some cases ultra) settings and stream it at 4K for a three or four-month period. And I'll own all those games afterwards, for use outside the Shadow ecosystem.

That value equation is obviously going to change in the long run, but based on what's on offer today, the only reason to go with Stadia, as far as I'm concerned, is for the simpler user experience.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There is probably gonna be a cost barrier to xCloud. They've said that xCloud from your own xbox, aka remote play, would be free. Hinting that xCloud from their severs will have a cost. I doubt base game pass subs will come with that cost. GPU is up in the air.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay Xbox Game Pass makes this service a whooole lot more interesting!
Included without extra cost in Ultimate?

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to bet the majority of people using cloud gaming will be playing on a mobile device. We will see small percentages elsewhere.
I disagree. We're headed into a new generation. Everything is about to be up for grabs again. Now Google's sales pitch is, "Don't buy a next-gen console. You already have one, just download this app. With us, you don't buy the hardware, you just buy the games. More money in your pocket. Oh, and it's 60fps. Oh, and you don't have to pay for online multiplayer." I'm absolutely puzzled by people who think Stadia is for people who want to stream games to their phone. It's a full-blown next-gen platform, and one that I predict a lot of people are going to prefer to dropping $400 on a box, signing up for a multiplayer subscription, and then playing games in 30fps.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
controversial'ish... but i genuinely think the PS5 will sell (quite a bit) more that the next Xbox next generation, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Xbox 'brand' generates more revenue than the Playstation 'brand'

the world is heading towards services, and with Microsofts financial might and forward thinking, they're already perfectly positioned to hit the ground running

ps. i'm sure Sony will follow suit, though

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OK. I mean, you're still paying a Stadia subscription if you want to play in 4K year, which is ÂŁ9 p/m. That's definitely a cheaper option. It's still a cost, though.

For me, the bigger issue would be this: I can pay ÂŁ120 now (I had the founder's edition price wrong earlier, sorry) to get into Stadia and play twelve games in 4K, or for the same price I can play literally any PC game I want, on high (and in some cases ultra) settings and stream it at 4K for a three or four-month period. And I'll own all those games afterwards, for use outside the Shadow ecosystem.

That value equation is obviously going to change in the long run, but based on what's on offer today, the only reason to go with Stadia, as far as I'm concerned, is for the simpler user experience.
10$ is cheaper than 35$ and I can still play the games at times when I'm not subbed, I don't care about playing games outside the cloud the whole point is me not buying hardware so i don't have to buy a new pc

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They said you you will be able to stream the games you own and ones you are going to buy in future and that game pass is coming to Xcloud.
It almost sounds like it's going to be part of xbox live

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

From the press release:
We will also add game streaming from the cloud to Xbox Game Pass.
Sounds pretty clear that Cloud Streaming will be added to Game Pass.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
10$ is cheaper than 35$ and I can still play the games at times when I'm not subbed, I don't care about playing games outside the cloud the whole point is me not buying hardware so i don't have to buy a new pc
So instead of buying a new PC that can run anything you want, you're going to rent one (NB: I know Stadia isn't technically a PC) that can only run a curated selection of games? Sorry, but I just don't see that as even approaching a like-for-like replacement.

You're also really reaching if you're saying playing at 4K/60fps is essential, but that you'd be happy to play at 1080p when you don't fancy paying the subscription for Stadia Pro.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
Genuine question - Do you guys see yourselves using this service?

Here in the UK the Wifi infrastructure outside of your home is still poor and using mobile data to stream would most likely not work and to be honest i don't have time to play when i'm not at home.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would prefer to play a game on a small screen if they can use a TV/Monitor etc, that's why i fail to see the point of this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked. Is DualShock 4 support available now? I haven't gotten to try xCloud yet because my only Xbox controller is the Elite Series 1, which doesn't have Bluetooth. I do, however, have a DS4.

Here in the UK the Wifi infrastructure outside of your home is still poor and using mobile data to stream would most likely not work and to be honest i don't have time to play when i'm not at home.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would prefer to play a game on a small screen if they can use a TV/Monitor etc, that's why i fail to see the point of this.
I would never choose streaming over running a game locally. However, if the TV isn't currently free or something, I'd definitely use it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So instead of buying a new PC that can run anything you want, you're going to rent one (NB: I know Stadia isn't technically a PC) that can only run a curated selection of games? Sorry, but I just don't see that as even approaching a like-for-like replacement.

You're also really reaching if you're saying playing at 4K/60fps is essential, but that you'd be happy to play at 1080p when you don't fancy paying the subscription for Stadia Pro.
I have an old pc that can play games that existed before cloud streaming, also have GeForce now, but from this point forwards im only planning to buy new game's in the cloud, from 2020 and onwards

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Sorry if this has already been asked. Is DualShock 4 support available now? I haven't gotten to try xCloud yet because my only Xbox controller is the Elite Series 1, which doesn't have Bluetooth. I do, however, have a DS4.
Sounds like support is coming next year:
In addition to using an Xbox One wireless controller, we'll expand support to more Bluetooth controllers beginning next year, including the DualShock 4 wireless controller and game pads from Razer.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
There is probably gonna be a cost barrier to xCloud. They've said that xCloud from your own xbox, aka remote play, would be free. Hinting that xCloud from their severs will have a cost. I doubt base game pass subs will come with that cost. GPU is up in the air.
I definitely want to see how console streaming turns out. I finally have a 10mbs up connection which is what is recommended.

And Project xCloud runs off Xbox One's anyhow.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
But that's the thing, people are pointing out that PSNow has 800+ games, but we don't know how many launch games xCloud will have, we just know that it will grow to 50+ games during testing. The reason the xCloud to Stadia comparison works is because a "launch" product is being compared to an "in-testing" product and the "launch" product is inferior in a lot of ways. Comparing a "launched" product to an inferior "in-testing" product is just hitting down and is generally frowned upon by most people.

When xCloud finally launches and people want to compare the two, than that's fine because both will be active services, but trying to say an active service is better than an in-testing service is like saying a 5th grader is smarter than a 2nd grader. Factually true but not really comparable because they're at different stages.

I think you are using the worlds inferior and better in a very specific and narrow way to describe and compare both services. Sure, Xcloud will have a larger library of games and that is definitely one way you can judge a cloud gaming service, but there are others factors that are equally important. Things like image quality, game framerate and latency. Since Microsoft will use Xbox One hardware, this will mean that the majority of the games will run at 30fps and not even with a stable framerate as seen on most DF videos. Every Stadia instance is around 10 times as powerful as an Xbox One, that is practically a next gen console right there and that is without taking into account that developers will be able to stack multiple blades. I definitely understand the appeal of a service like Xcloud and I'm sure it will be very popular, but when you compare both services, one should be aware of the other differences beyond the library of games. There are also several unknowns from Xcloud, like how many data centers will it have? This directly relates to the average latency people will have, what will be the price of the service? How soon will they update to the Scarlet hardware? Will Xcloud have a free to access subscription?

May 2019

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Phil's always been clear, it's an option.

And 5G will make things alot easier for us which is being rolled out, that's years away if your outside the major cities but MS are mobilising for this eventuality. Also, WiFi in specific zones, which are quite common could provide a decent service.

I mean, I wouldn't mind booting up Outer Wilds for instance (not world's) at work during some downtime to play, or some Rocket League online. What's convenient is that it's like having a portable Xbox experience in your pocket, something that's quite profound when you have it in your hands.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
If it doesn't have a free streaming-service then I don't care for it, to be honest. I am not into the monthly-rate model, even more if I have to buy the game I want to play on top.
Don't care about Gamepass right now. I don't play enough to warrant it, I just want a service where I can buy a certain game I want to stream, finish and be done with it, till the next game I want to play comes along.
But it's nice to see that MS seem to get alot of support from developers and they will offer a good amount of games at launch, which is nice.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Stadia has more Tomb Raiders though.
Not at launch. It looks like xCloud will support almost all 3500+ Xbox games at launch and since there are two Lara Croft top down puzzle games, at least two backcompat Tomb Raider games, and the three Reboot Tomb Raider games that means at launch (in terms of Tomb Raider games) xCloud > Stadia

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see people playing xCloud as their main source of gaming. I see it as Xbox on the Go. You get home and you still play PC or the Console.