• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
All Game Pass games will have the ability to stream. And in addition to Game Pass games, publishers have the choice to enable their games for game streaming as well. (those games will still need to be purchased but one would assume they will be playable on PC, Xbox and Streaming).

So, so far there are 50 games that are enabled for streaming. Some are included in the Game Pass sub, some will need to be purchased individually. (you may already own a lot of them). One would hope that all of the Xbox Catalog will be enabled to be streamed, but I doubt it since business deals will probably get in the way. Will Doom be able to be streamed via xCloud when they have a deal with Google?

Currently, all 50 of those games are streamable whether you own them or not.

www.xbox.com

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass | Xbox

Play your favorite Xbox console games on Windows PC, phones, and tablets.

"Do I need to buy or own content for Project xCloud (Preview)?
Nope! For the Project xCloud (Preview), you do not need to buy or own any content. You will stream directly from the cloud, which includes access to the games during the lifespan of the preview period. If you wish to purchase one of the games, your cloud save will work between Project xCloud (Preview) and your Xbox One Console."

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
All Game Pass games will have the ability to stream. And in addition to Game Pass games, publishers have the choice to enable their games for game streaming as well. (those games will still need to be purchased but one would assume they will be playable on PC, Xbox and Streaming).

So, so far there are 50 games that are enabled for streaming. Some are included in the Game Pass sub, some will need to be purchased individually. (you may already own a lot of them). One would hope that all of the Xbox Catalog will be enabled to be streamed, but I doubt it since business deals will probably get in the way. Will Doom be able to be streamed via xCloud when they have a deal with Google?

As of right now, you don't have to be subbed to GP or own any of the game in the xCloud preview in order to play them. Also, you don't need to Live Gold to access multiplayer either.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, all 50 of those games are streamable whether you own them or not.

www.xbox.com

Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass | Xbox

Play your favorite Xbox console games on Windows PC, phones, and tablets.

"Do I need to buy or own content for Project xCloud (Preview)?

Nope! For the Project xCloud (Preview), you do not need to buy or own any content. You will stream directly from the cloud, which includes access to the games during the lifespan of the preview period. If you wish to purchase one of the games, your cloud save will work between Project xCloud (Preview) and your Xbox One Console."
As of right now, you don't have to be subbed to GP or own any of the game in the xCloud preview in order to play them. Also, you don't need to Live Gold to access multiplayer either.
Well yeah, that is just the preview. You will have to purchase them when its officially out. Unless you think EA is going to give away Madden etc..

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, that is just the preview. You will have to purchase them when its officially out. Unless you think EA is going to give away Madden etc..

Well of course not. I think the fact they said you can buy a game on xCloud with no console makes me believe that xCloud will be free to anyone that buys a game digitally and won't require GP. GP will obviously have all it's games available in xCloud so they're building up that value proposition but I don't think that it or Gold will be required to just stream a game that you purchased but they'll be heavily recommended.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this thing is quite nuts.

google was way to concerned trying to get you into some kind of google eco system with a android storefront, chrome browser, chromecast etc. meanwhile microsoft is just like here play all these games with a dualshock 4.

Last edited:

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Is there a way to try this out from unsupported region? We're being treated as Tier 2 country again so who knows when it becomes available officially.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No worries
Well of course not. I think the fact they said you can buy a game on xCloud with no console makes me believe that xCloud will be free to anyone that buys a game digitally and won't require GP. GP will obviously have all it's games available in xCloud so they're building up that value proposition but I don't think that it or Gold will be required to just stream a game that you purchased but they'll be heavily recommended.
yeah i have been leaning that way thinking it will be free, especially with Google doing the same. But Phil did mention in that giant bomb interview that there will be a cost involved. I certainly don't want to pay a fee to be able to buy games and stream them. So we'll see.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They explicitly said that xCloud from your console, aka remote play, will be free. Kinda hinting that there will be some cost for actual xCloud.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it'll support whatever Bluetooth controller that is supported by Android.

I hooked up my 8BitDo SNES Pro to it and played Halo 5 and some other games with no problem on xcloud.
Its pretty neat!

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
xCloud is explicitly the cloud based service, console streaming is what they call the free 'remote play' service. In the Xbox Game Streaming app, you switch between those two named options.
If so, at least they are changing it to what it properly should be called. But they did say what I said before.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I didn't look through the whole thing here, but I'm blown away that some of these 50 games aren't even available on Game Pass (or I missed them). That's freaking awesome, gonna take advantage whilst I still can (not that my backlog need get any longer.. but..). Pretty sure WWE 2k20 (ha), Tales of Vesperia, Puyo Puyo, and Ace Combat 7 haven't been available before right? Maybe I'm wrong, but happy to try out some games :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All the games

30oehrm77iz31.jpg

PEVO

Mar 15, 2019
Outer Heaven
Why it is Android-only? Apple introduced controller support in iOS 13. I know that is just a beta, but developing two apps on two different OS is not so difficult for a brand like MS.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why it is Android-only? Apple introduced controller support in iOS 13. I know that is just a beta, but developing two apps on two different OS is not so difficult for a brand like MS.

Microsoft has it working and is testing the iOS app right now, and are working with Apple to get it out.

Android generally has less restrictions placed on it by Google, so I imagine it was easier and quicker to push it out there.

But pretty much: Blame Apple, but it's coming.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I want to use this on my iPhone instead of my old android. Hope it comes out soon.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm interested to see how Google and Sony respond.

Google and MS share one major advantage over Sony. They ALREADY use their servers for something else and do so profitably. MS use Azure for business and X-cloud basically makes it more during it's downtime. The same for Google. So investing in online infrastructure effectively costs them less.

So a subscription service for MS/Google is an additional income stream for the same infrastructure.

Sony don't have that advantage. They ONLY use PS Now for gaming and will have to BUY IN online capacity from MS if they want to expand PS Now.

If Sony throw all 1st party into PS Now they risk cannibalising sales without the wider safety net enjoyed by MS. That's why leadership statements have been about "preserving" game launches. It's about preserving game sales. No bad thing in one sense.

MS can lose 1st party "sales" because Gamepass is simply seen as another means of making money from Azure. Hence why gaming is now seen as so vital to MS.

So Google/MS have the best infrastructure. MS have a far better game library than Google. Sony the best games (arguably) but no current commitment to 1st party launching day 1.

2020 will be very interesting.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Which thread should we generally use, this one or the impressions thread? I feel like the impressions thread is good because it has a lot of...impressions?

I managed to have a useable gaming session on 4g (three network) in stansted airport. There were some hitches in streaming, mainly sounds rather than video, but I managed to play for 30-40 minutes relatively happily.

I've mainly been sticking with battle chasers, as so far I've found lag etc to be a bit fiddly. I did load up subnautica for a bit to get the second achievement I needed for the rewards points.

Next time I'd be tempted to push it a bit further and try Hitman, and bang out some more cheevos on that.

Feb 10, 2018
Which thread should we generally use, this one or the impressions thread? I feel like the impressions thread is good because it has a lot of...impressions?

I managed to have a useable gaming session on 4g (three network) in stansted airport. There were some hitches in streaming, mainly sounds rather than video, but I managed to play for 30-40 minutes relatively happily.

I've mainly been sticking with battle chasers, as so far I've found lag etc to be a bit fiddly. I did load up subnautica for a bit to get the second achievement I needed for the rewards points.

Next time I'd be tempted to push it a bit further and try Hitman, and bang out some more cheevos on that.

I made this.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers did that! However think it's a US/UK thing atm.. not netherlands lol
Yeah sorry - I nearly added that! It's US, UK and "Korea". I'm assuming they mean South Korea, I guess because it has ridiculous internet there.

You CAN sign up for console streaming, where you stream from your own xbox to a mobile. It's fairly easy to get into the insider programme, and then sign up for this. You need a minimum of 5MB/s per second UPLOAD though. The console tests it before turning on streaming.

www.xbox.com

Xbox Remote Play | Xbox

Play games from your console straight to your PC, phone or tablet over the internet with Xbox Remote Play. Find and install new games even if you’re not at home.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
On my home Network, I'm already using this as a normal part of my gaming routine, and I almost can't believe it. Depending on how they price the service, this is probably something I'll subscribe to, on-and-off.

I have to assume the mobile/Android-only focus so far as been to the benefit of the responsiveness/performance, because with a few different rounds of testing PS Now streaming in the past (PC/PS4/Vita), I wasn't happy with those results. I regularly use PS4 (local) Remote Play on my wired home network, and have been pleased with that.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
presumably you'll need at least XBL

Yeah I believe it will be a xbl membership. I think if your stream from your system it's free if if you want to stream from the cloud itself there will be additional cost. It looks like they will be bundling xcloud xbl and gamepass as the cheapest way to have access I'd I had to bet.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
presumably you'll need at least XBL

xCloud itself will almost certainly be an add-on fee related to XBL/Game Pass, but re: the console streaming, I don't think we have any indication it would require Gold, and currently (unless I'm mistaken), PC streaming from an Xbox has no membership requirement.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Phil actually briefly mentioned in his Giant Bomb interview that they were considering letting you opt in to use your xbox for other people to stream from. Effectively you'd loan your box (and internet upload bandwidth) to the cloud solution.

He waved his hands quite a bit, said he'd get in trouble for raising it, and that they didn't really have an idea of how it would work in practice (e.g. would you accrus points, or gamepass time for loaning your box? what if you loan your box and no-one uses it etc etc).

It's a very interesting idea though!

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah sorry - I nearly added that! It's US, UK and "Korea". I'm assuming they mean South Korea, I guess because it has ridiculous internet there.

You CAN sign up for console streaming, where you stream from your own xbox to a mobile. It's fairly easy to get into the insider programme, and then sign up for this. You need a minimum of 5MB/s per second UPLOAD though. The console tests it before turning on streaming.

www.xbox.com

Xbox Remote Play | Xbox

Play games from your console straight to your PC, phone or tablet over the internet with Xbox Remote Play. Find and install new games even if you’re not at home.

Lol I put uk, and received an email now that I got accepted. 👀

But I guess they must have some region lock

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Phil actually briefly mentioned in his Giant Bomb interview that they were considering letting you opt in to use your xbox for other people to stream from. Effectively you'd loan your box (and internet upload bandwidth) to the cloud solution.

He waved his hands quite a bit, said he'd get in trouble for raising it, and that they didn't really have an idea of how it would work in practice (e.g. would you accrus points, or gamepass time for loaning your box? what if you loan your box and no-one uses it etc etc).

It's a very interesting idea though!

If MS was willing to pay for my data cap overage, I would do it.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Here's something to think about, MS and Sony are going to use Azure for their cloud streaming tech. MS is implementing Xbox hardware on the servers for game streaming. Per Brad Sams, MS will not allow any 3rd party to put their own racks in their Azure servers. So ps5 games not only need to run on console, but also on Azure servers running on xbox hardware????? The paradox begins haha :)

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's something to think about, MS and Sony are going to use Azure for their cloud streaming tech. MS is implementing Xbox hardware on the servers for game streaming. Per Brad Sams, MS will not allow any 3rd party to put their own racks in their Azure servers. So ps5 games not only need to run on console, but also on Azure servers running on xbox hardware????? The paradox begins haha :)

this is something i also thought about

could sony demand ps5 games also run on scarlet blades (with their own os etc) in the future?

there wont be ps5 hardwarw in the azure datacenters..