• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Source: https://news.sky.com/story/prominen...n-divorces-wife-and-comes-out-as-gay-11616605

One of the most prominent "gay conversion therapists" in the US has divorced his wife and wants to start dating men.

David Matheson, from Utah, was the creator of widely maligned and discredited courses that claimed to be capable of changing the sexuality of those who studied them.

Now he has acknowledged that his work was hurtful to people, and blamed his previous views on the "shame-based, homophobic-based system" of the Mormon church in which he was raised.

Mr Matheson said his desire to be in "an intimate relationship with a man" had become a "non-negotiable need" towards the end of his marriage, but admitted that he still found "too much homophobia in myself".

'Convert' me if old.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Asshole.

Like, good for him for recognising who he really is, but that dude hurt a ton of people.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
catastrophic explosive backsliding ?

I only see one way for him to make up for it.
Become the gay conversion therapy industry nuke. Blow it all up

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conversion therapy is one of the most heinous things I can think to ever put on somebody. Hope he rights as much of the wrongs as he possibly can, though for many victims, it's too late.

Fuck this dude in short.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm glad he condemned this practice, and I also hope his actions weigh on his soul and inspire him to continue to fight against murderous bigotry.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I wish only the absolute worst for him. You don't get to torture teens and adults for a number of years, then say "but my beliefs made me do it!" and all of a sudden you're forgiven.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
More via NBC:

NBC News: Once-prominent 'conversion therapist' will now 'pursue life as a gay man'

So-called gay conversion therapy, which is sometimes referred to as "ex-gay therapy" or "reparative therapy," is a pseudoscientific practice that seeks to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity. Talk therapy is currently the most commonly used technique, but some practitioners have also combined this with "aversion treatments," such as induced vomiting or electric shocks, according to a 2018 report by UCLA's Williams Institute (Matheson stressed he never participated in "aversion therapy"). Nearly every major health association, including the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association, has denounced the practice.
Matheson acknowledged his work has hurt some people, but he would not fully renounce "conversion therapy." Instead, he blamed what he referred to as the "shame-based, homophobic-based system" of the Mormon church in which he was raised. He acknowledged that he perpetuated that system, but he also argued that he helped some men who wished to live "in congruence" with their faith.
"I know there are people who won't be satisfied by anything less than a complete and unequivocal renunciation of everything," Matheson said. "That's hard, because I want people to feel the genuineness of my change of heart, but people need to understand that there is more than one reality in the world." To those who feel harmed by his past work, he relayed a message: "I unequivocally apologize."
----------------
To Chaim Levin, who said he was psychologically hurt by programs Matheson helped create, an apology is not enough.
"While I am pleased for Mr. Matheson that he has found a path forward for his life, I can't help but think of the hundreds if not thousands of people who are still stuck in the closet, a closet that was created in part by Mr. Matheson himself," Levin told Truth Wins Out. "I hope that Mr. Matheson will do whatever he can to rectify the harm that he's inflicted on many people in the LGBTQ community, myself included."
Nearly 700,000 LGBTQ adults in the U.S. have received "conversion therapy" at some point in their lives, according to the Williams Institute. Its 2018 conversion therapy report notes that efforts to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity are associated with poor mental health, including suicidality.
----------------
Matheson was an early protege of Joseph Nicolosi, who founded the notorious National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Matheson's involvement in developing "conversion therapy" programs goes back decades, though ironically, he has long been open about his attraction to men. His 2013 book, "Becoming a Whole Man," chronicles his "six-year quest" to rid himself of "unwanted" homosexuality, according to the book's Amazon.com description.
In a statement Matheson emailed to Truth Wins Out on Sunday, he refused to renounce his past work or condemn what he called "mixed-orientation marriages."
"I continue to support the rights of individuals to choose how they will respond to their sexual attractions and identity," he wrote. "With that freedom, I am now choosing to pursue life as a gay man."
Besen said he found Matheson's statement "to be all about his journey" with "very little concern about his victims that he has harmed."
"I would like to see someone more contrite and willing to reach out and help the people whose lives he's ruined," Besen said. "I'd also like to see him consider refunding the money to the people that he bilked out of their paychecks for therapy that clearly wasn't even working for himself."

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
"Nearly 700,000 LGBTQ adults in the U.S. have received "conversion therapy" at some point in their lives."

This number is huge.

Obviously he's not a very nice man and has a lot to answer for, but having to lie for so long isn't something I'd want anyone to go through, and I hope he can be happy now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Piece of shit profited off the misery and torture of people who dared to try and be themselves, all because he couldn't admit to himself who he was.

No "coming out" parade for him. May he eat shit and live the rest of his miserable life ostracized and alone, shunned from a community who suffered (and do suffer) under people like him.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
"Nearly 700,000 LGBTQ adults in the U.S. have received "conversion therapy" at some point in their lives, "

"To those who feel harmed by his past work, he relayed a message: "I unequivocally apologize."

Get_Fucked_Sticker.jpg

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
See, I told you it was contagious! Poor fellow helped so many people that he caught teh ghey himself!

/ Republican logic

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It's really sad homophobia has such an ingrained hold in society that shit like conversion therapy was/is a serious thing. Hope he gets himself right and tries to make amends for his actions.

Much love to his and other victims. Hopefully just him coming out like this can bring someone somewhere peace.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
These people have blood on their hands. I'm sure a good amount of suicides happen because of this kind of therapy.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. He knew what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway to make money off the suffering of PEOPLE LIKE HIM.

Hope nobody touches him.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More via NBC:

NBC News: Once-prominent 'conversion therapist' will now 'pursue life as a gay man'

So-called gay conversion therapy, which is sometimes referred to as "ex-gay therapy" or "reparative therapy," is a pseudoscientific practice that seeks to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity. Talk therapy is currently the most commonly used technique, but some practitioners have also combined this with "aversion treatments," such as induced vomiting or electric shocks, according to a 2018 report by UCLA's Williams Institute (Matheson stressed he never participated in "aversion therapy"). Nearly every major health association, including the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association, has denounced the practice.
Matheson acknowledged his work has hurt some people, but he would not fully renounce "conversion therapy." Instead, he blamed what he referred to as the "shame-based, homophobic-based system" of the Mormon church in which he was raised. He acknowledged that he perpetuated that system, but he also argued that he helped some men who wished to live "in congruence" with their faith.
"I know there are people who won't be satisfied by anything less than a complete and unequivocal renunciation of everything," Matheson said. "That's hard, because I want people to feel the genuineness of my change of heart, but people need to understand that there is more than one reality in the world." To those who feel harmed by his past work, he relayed a message: "I unequivocally apologize."
----------------
To Chaim Levin, who said he was psychologically hurt by programs Matheson helped create, an apology is not enough.
"While I am pleased for Mr. Matheson that he has found a path forward for his life, I can't help but think of the hundreds if not thousands of people who are still stuck in the closet, a closet that was created in part by Mr. Matheson himself," Levin told Truth Wins Out. "I hope that Mr. Matheson will do whatever he can to rectify the harm that he's inflicted on many people in the LGBTQ community, myself included."
Nearly 700,000 LGBTQ adults in the U.S. have received "conversion therapy" at some point in their lives, according to the Williams Institute. Its 2018 conversion therapy report notes that efforts to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity are associated with poor mental health, including suicidality.
----------------
Matheson was an early protege of Joseph Nicolosi, who founded the notorious National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Matheson's involvement in developing "conversion therapy" programs goes back decades, though ironically, he has long been open about his attraction to men. His 2013 book, "Becoming a Whole Man," chronicles his "six-year quest" to rid himself of "unwanted" homosexuality, according to the book's Amazon.com description.
In a statement Matheson emailed to Truth Wins Out on Sunday, he refused to renounce his past work or condemn what he called "mixed-orientation marriages."
"I continue to support the rights of individuals to choose how they will respond to their sexual attractions and identity," he wrote. "With that freedom, I am now choosing to pursue life as a gay man."
Besen said he found Matheson's statement "to be all about his journey" with "very little concern about his victims that he has harmed."
"I would like to see someone more contrite and willing to reach out and help the people whose lives he's ruined," Besen said. "I'd also like to see him consider refunding the money to the people that he bilked out of their paychecks for therapy that clearly wasn't even working for himself."

Yo fuck this dude.

Living "congruently" is hardly living at all.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This man is a piece of shit, im gonna treat this man coming out the same way as Kevin spacy coming out, this does not excuse the fucked up behavior and you deserve the worst.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Unless this dude is actively out there helping the people he's been doing this shit to as a way of reconciling, he can find himself the biggest fucking hole in the world to die in for all I care.

Since he's not, they shouldn't have even published the fucko's statements imo. Should've just been a matter of fact article.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously he's not a very nice man and has a lot to answer for, but having to lie for so long isn't something I'd want anyone to go through, and I hope he can be happy now.

FUCK that. I just came out as bi and I didn't feel the need to actually torture people beforehand. This dude can fuck off forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
People have different experiences growing up, his made him feel as if this was the only answer. Glad the dude could finally come to terms with who he truly is.

At the same time, if he isn't going to spend his energy undoing the damage, then he is a bit of a selfish asshole.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Unless he exposes the shit thay happened, I hope the gay community shuns him. Like nothing short of repentance, exposing the evils that he did, bring down a whole bunch of people kind of repentance.

Anything less isn't enough. Fucking traitor.

Oct 2, 2018
I just watched Boy erased the other day

and at the end of that movie "the conversion therapy leader is now married to a man".

tsk. SMH.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Dude advocated and performed psychological (and possibly physical) torture on other human beings. No, he does not deserve a shred of happiness before EVERY SINGLE ONE of his victims gets it first and only then if EVERY SINGLE ONE forgives him for his actions. Until those two things happen, the man can rot in hell.