• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I assume you can replace the battery?

Yes, if you're willing to take the Ps4 apart
XJiFIFZliTiesGb3.medium

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely; I just think that by the time this is actually an issue, it will no longer be an issue.
It could be solved by buying a PS5, sure but they need to fix it. PS5 too if it does have this issue. Consoles back in the day could be played for ever until they break so they should fix this to allow the PS4 as well to be played until it breaks.
I know they did but they should fix it anyway. They can "correct" the lie.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
It always was, but we just love our consoles as well. I have a massive PlayStation collection and it kinda sucks to read this. Even when I rarely play PS3 anymore.
Actually with PS3 console the situation is better beacuse the server connection will be checked only for your digital games , with PS4 even your disc-games will require the connection to a server and when this is not in function anymore both your digital and physical collection will be gone.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Now is the time to make noise about this, there's no point waiting until "the servers go" or whatever, because Sony won't be willing to support and patch the console at this point.

We have to act now, not 10 years in the future to prevent this being an issue then.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The fear is not "can this be addressed when the PS4 hits EOL," it's "will this be addressed when the PS4 hits EOL." Given Sony's recent handling of legacy content, that's a pretty justified fear.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The fear is not "can this be addressed when the PS4 hits EOL," it's "will this be addressed when the PS4 hits EOL." Given Sony's recent handling of legacy content, that's a pretty justified fear.

they're taking a store offline. They're not blocking access to your purchased library... There would probably a massive class action if they tried something that would lock you out of ALL your media.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It is a little surprising that not even disc based content can launch without the internal clock being set correctly and the fear of this becoming an issue is justified given Sony's behavior of shutting down online services, but we shouldn't vilify them right away just because this exists and for all we know they may have planned a solution for this from the very beginning of making the PS4 OS.

Had the PlayStation 3 the same issue and Sony refused to address it, then there would be reason to demand change, but for now we don't know what actual plans there are.

Oct 28, 2017
I expect the community may find a way to replicate the time server so you can validate the PS4 clock without Sony, or find some other way. There's still a lot of time for that.

No, I do not expect Sony to ever address this issue, given how badly the PS3/Vita is being handled right now. They just don't care at all.
Yeah, this is what I expect. There's always jailbreaking if all else fails.

That said I don't expect Sony to disable the validation servers as long as the playstation and it's future counter part exists. This is hardly a money drain for them.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
It's going to be crazy 20 years from now that I'll still be able to play my NES and SNES carts but PS4 games will be dead due to that battery.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I'm fine with opening the console and changing the battery in the future when it fails.

What I'm not fine with is, say in 10-20 years they turn off that time sync server for legacy consoles, and once that battery goes I cannot use my console or games because of a little fucking time sync... I'd be royally pissed.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Actually with PS3 console the situation is better beacuse the server connection will be checked only for your digital games , with PS4 even your disc-games will require the connection to a server and when this is not in function anymore both your digital and physical collection will be gone.
Right. Both PS3 and PS4 situations suck right now. At least PS5 will play all PS4 games, so it's not that bad for me personally, because I will buy one eventually.

Meanwhile my PS2 works like Day 1 ...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So what if they just never address this?

Do pirates win again or are they also locked out?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
they're taking a store offline. They're not blocking access to your purchased library... There would probably a massive class action if they tried something that would lock you out of ALL your media.

Sony has already done this when they shut down the PlayStation Mobile store and blocked the ability to redownload your purchases. The terms of service states the terms of your paid purchases being licenses and it's on the user to make sure to have downloaded their content before content is removed from the servers. I really don't think a class action lawsuit will hold up if pushed. Sony may settle, but I think if they were pushed a trial, nothing Sony would have done would have been technically illegal. I think people assuming that this is a reason as to why it won't happen are going to be in for a rude awakening. Many people already are with Sony shutting down the digital stores and everyone at this point should be expecting the download servers to go down at some point later on too.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what if they just never address this?

Do pirates win again or are they also locked out?
As I understand CFW can bypass it. Highly doubtful Sony pushes some kind of EOL update. By then it will be such ancient history they can't be bothered. Hell, that far into the future Sony could be a completely different business and may have 0 interest in supporting any legacy electronics.

They can't even be bothered to push firmware updates that fix minor issues with the Vita and PSTV today, despite that hardware constantly getting "stability" updates to close exploits. Anyone who thinks they'll patch out CMOS driven disc access planned obsolescence is kidding themselves.

Last edited:

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh this shit again...
This is still making a lot of assumption about the way the ps4 tells time.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A hardware failure results in an issue with the system.... how dare Sony....
There's a big difference between a drive belt snapping or a gear throwing a tooth and tying an unrelated function to a component (battery) that is expected to deplete in a few years... that requires a complete system teardown to replace.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
There's a big difference between a drive belt snapping or a gear throwing a tooth and tying an unrelated function to a component (battery) that is expected to deplete in a few years... that requires a complete system teardown to replace.

It is related to the function. It helps determine the licensing for the games. Its directly related in fact.

And few years? I have a launch PS4, it still works. Over 7 years since I got it. Thats not a few years.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
P.T. is fucked.

Time to invest in a ps5 and ditch the ps4, I have like 3 digital games, hopefully all my physical work on the 5...

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is related to the function. It helps determine the licensing for the games. Its directly related in fact.
As flawed the design is, I'll give you that.

And few years? I have a launch PS4, it still works. Over 7 years since I got it. Thats not a few years.
Few meaning 3 or more, but an ultimately undermined amount of time. And it's good that yours is still kicking. To be clear, I doubt this is ever going to be a serious issue, and one that will be resolved by other unofficial means, but going into a thread when the matter doesn't concern you and hand waving is just being disingenuous.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Why do you need a license check for a physical disc though?

Granted it isn't an issue today because PS5 is BC. Just stinks to think that in 20-30 years you may have no way to play some of your physical titles.

I can go right now and play Ninja Gaiden on a console almost 40 years old.

mus6677

Nov 8, 2017
Sony probably use widely available public ntp server to sync the time. If they use their own ntp server it probably used by all of their products. It a waste to use specific ntp server for different products as the function is same.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really an "issue" per se. They're using the time synchronization as a method to make sure that timed licenses (rentals, subscriptions) are valid. By removing the CMOS battery, you clear the time and it needs to resync.

When the system goes EOL and rentals / subscriptions are no longer available, they could push a firmware that disables this check. The question is, though, if they will do that.

They need to update this so the clock only affects rental and subscription games (understandable to prevent fraud). Physical games and paid for digital games should never require a time/validity check.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So is the battery easy to replace on a PS4? (If it dies in the future)

What about the Vita? That shit is harder to open Imagine. Any worries there too since it also uses PS+ features and I'm sure games use the time sync to keep tabs on subscription stuff.
Portables usually rely on the battery that's already in. You don't need a second CMOS battery for that. Although if you completely drain the big battery and don't charge for a month, you might have to set time again on your Vita/Switch/iPad etc.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Presumably we can just replace the battery if needed?

The thing I don't understand is that online it says CMOS batteries have a lifespan of 3 years, but my launch PS4 is double that age and still working perfectly fine.
I think the issue here is not well understood by many. After replacing the battery, you need to connect to Sony's servers to use your console as normal, which will not be around forever. That is the issue, not the battery dying itself.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Has anyone sniffed the traffic to see what it is doing when the CMOS battery is replaced? It might just be a simple NTP time sync that could easily be worked around.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Sony probably use widely available public ntp server to sync the time. If they use their own ntp server it probably used by all of their products. It a waste to use specific ntp server for different products as the function is same.
Shush no one wants to hear a reasonable take.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017

I would be surprised if they're using NTP, considering it's an insecure protocol. A hacker could easily point time.playstation.com to their own server, and tell their PS4 that the time is whatever they want it to be. If this is indeed part of their DRM, there has to be security measures in place. Remember that NTS got ratified only half a year ago. It certainly wasn't a thing when PS4 was designed.

Even if Sony were dumb enough to make their DRM dependent on NTP, there's about 0.1% chance they're using public servers. Big tech companies (Microsoft, Apple, etc.) like to use infrastructure that they control (be it through engineers or lawyers). The whole Nintendo/GameSpy thing is a good example of why.

Most likely this is done in a custom manner that ties into their security model. And who knows if that lives on through PS5?

Last edited:

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My digital library is on my PS5 now though. Basically all PS4 games are compatible?!
Hah
"Fortunately we've got a product for people who want to continue playing their PS4 games, it's called a PS5"
Isn't this less of a design decision and more a requirement by nature of how all online/network licenses work? Xbox and Windows would presumably have similar issues.
But as we saw in the video it also affects physical games.