• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is a proper oral hygiene thread.

I've discovered the joys of flossing. Holy shit doing it routinely every day makes me feel so damn good. I use those disposable picks and I can get them in the hard to reach places easily. This, combined with a good electric toothbrush and a tongue scraper can really be a killer combo. My teeth look noticeably whiter every day.

TLDR: I've discovered the joys of taking better care of my teeth (besides just brushing every morning like I have been).

So to anyone who has neglected their teeth like I have, I'd recommend taking better care of your teeth with better equipment.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a proper oral hygiene thread.

I've discovered the joys of flossing. Holy shit doing it routinely every day makes me feel so damn good. I use those disposable picks and I can get them in the hard to reach places easily. This, combined with a good electric toothbrush and a tongue scraper can really be a killer combo. My teeth look noticeably whiter every day.

TLDR: I've discovered the joys of taking better care of my teeth (besides just brushing every morning like I have been).

So to anyone who has neglected their teeth like I have, I'd recommend taking better care of your teeth with better equipment.

Good OP. Keep going. Also floss first and then brush your teeth. Also use mouthwash before brushing. So flossing -> mouthwash (if you really want to...) -> brush -> only rinse after 30 seconds and not completely

Important information: White teeth don't mean healthy teeth at all. Teeth are not naturally white.

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason teeth seem "whiter" after brushing is compounds in the paste that merge with any yellowness on your teeth, creating a whiter hue.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
Good OP. Keep going. Also floss first and then brush your teeth. Also use mouthwash before brushing. So flossing -> mouthwash (if you really want to...) -> brush -> only rinse after 30 seconds and not completely

Important information: White teeth don't mean healthy teeth at all. Teeth are not naturally white.
I have been going, brush, rinse, tongue scraper, rinse, floss, rinse.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have been going, brush, rinse, tongue scraper, rinse, floss, rinse.

Flossing before brushing. https://askthedentist.com/should-i-brush-or-floss-first/

Brushing and then immediately rinsing/using mouthwash will also wash away all the flouride your teeth need and love.

Brushing and then flossing will attack your teeth first (yes you attack your natural protection by brushing which is totally fine and the reason why acid foods after brushing will be unpleasant, your teeth need about 20-30 minutes to have their protection back) and put more bacteria between and in your gums.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Flossing is a great feeling, but interdental brushes before flossing is even better. I use the tiny brish, then floss, then brush the teeth properky and J tell you guys my gums have never felt better.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Waterfloss with some fluoride mouthwash
followed by SonicCare brushing for two minutes.
Once a week actually use a floss.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

Why brush last? I always thought of it as

Floss - get shit out from between your teeth
Brush - scrub down teeth, brush away particles
Mouthwash - sanitize

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Don't use mouthwash. I floss last but it doesn't really matter. Don't rinse the toothpaste sits on your teeth for a while and helps clean.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why brush last? I always thought of it as

Floss - get shit out from between your teeth
Brush - scrub down teeth, brush away particles
Mouthwash - sanitize

Well first of all mouthwash is useless (like fabric softener), but everything you do after brushing will wash away the important flourides (the only important thing in regards to brushing at all except for cleaning your dirt on your teeth).

It's like someone game into your house to clean everything and also the wax everything so that everything is protect from dirt or fixes up stuff that other home invaders tried to destroy, but then you come home and just start to wash it all away. (bad example but I hope you get the gist).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get on with dental floss so I use those little silicone picks (Teepee), they're great. I use an electric toothbrush and although my teeth look and feel clean, it's always surprising just how much crud you can still pick out from the gaps in your teeth using a Teepee.

Also, probably worth noting that gleaming white does not necessarily equal healthy teeth.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just recently bought a Phillips Sonicare 5100 and my brushing game is leagues ahead now. It feels like I get a deep clean each time I use it. Compared to the Quip I used to have it is a night and day difference.

I've quit using mouthwash since I've heard all it does is remove all the work from brushing. Not sure if there's any truth to that.

Nov 9, 2017
For me mouthwash is more about cleansing my tongue, tight areas around my gums, roof of my mouth, and gargling my throat.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I just use my electric toothbrush for the tongue. Having a separate tongue scraper seems unnecessary in that case.

Your teeth didn't become noticeably whiter because of floss and tongue scraper though. What?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
This changed my life:

Fwewjvp.jpg

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Stay away from commercial mouthwash, it's awful for the mouth biome. I recommend a simple mixture of baking soda, salt, and warm water for swishing around in your trap after brushing. Helps the pH balance and contributes to remineralizing the choppers.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't floss regularly the first time you do it its fucking vile how gross that string smells.

That is why I floss regularly.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
There is no credible evidence that flossing has any significant health benefit. That said, It won't hurt if done right, and do what makes you feel good.

One of a mountain of articles:

When the federal government issued its latest dietary guidelines this year, the flossing recommendation had been removed, without notice. In a letter to the AP, the government acknowledged the effectiveness of flossing had never been researched, as required.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
After I got a cavity -between- my teeth that eventually lead to a root canal, I got myself a waterpik, a sonicare toothbrush, and those disposable flossers that I use about once a week. I vowed to never have that happen again and, so far, it hasn't.