• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
So because those who claimed to hate the idea of crossgen (when it seemed it was mostly a MS issue) are still saying crossgen is shit when Sony are also doing it, we actually have some people claiming this just shows how Sony fans have backed themselves into a corner and still have to say it so as not to eat crow? And not that those people might have actually meant that they hate crossgen in the first place and weren't just attacking MS in some sort of console war, but were just stating what they truly thought (that crossgen holds games back)? Stating the same opinion, no matter who the console maker is, shows that you never really believed it?

And in a thread (multiple threads in fact) full of many, many people pissed off about these Sony games being crossgen, there's reply after reply implying (or even directly stating) that those who complained about crossgen on Xbox are suddenly silent or have changed their mind?

The internet never ceases to amaze me.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Spidey or Sackboy cz they are at the very start of the gen.

Horizon? No. I'm not OK with that. I wanted GG to go all out and make the most of the PS5 and I don't think we will see that until the third game now. i'm not singing a different tune to xbox and PS. it sucks no matter who it is

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Miles and Sackboy I get it. Whoever. Are Horizon PS4 call was smoking something strong. That's supposed to be showcase game.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Great for PS4 owners obviously, but somewhat undermines Sony's whole pitch of believing in generational leaps.

Somewhat? Try entirely. Two possibilities exist. Either sony knew all along they would be doing this, or they changed their mind.

IN the former case, it means they stirred up console war stuff, dissed pro consumer moves, and attacked the competition for something they were going to do. That's plain shitty. In the latter case, it means all that talk about spider-man and horizon needing the SSD to work was a lie...and sony was dissing pro consumer moves simply because the competition came up with it first.

It's especially bad that the next gen upgrade for spider-man is locked behind a 20 dollar paywall, when such upgrades on the xbox are free. So sony is not only doing the thing they attacked microsoft for doing...but they are doing a worse version of it.

Wherever you stand on the issue, microsoft laid out their gaming philosophy years ago and have stuck to it. Through ridicule to thepoint now where even their staunchest rivals are being froced to adopt it. Sony has not articulated a philosophy for next gen beyond 'SSD! SSD! SSD!'. Today's news means they have either gone back on that philosophy, or never really had it.

Had they simply gone along with microsoft form the get go this would not be an issue, but sony used this as a wedge issue to differentiate their ecosystem form microsoft.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. Feels like we're going to be waiting that hit longer to really see what these next gen machines can do.

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell happened?! Horizon cross-gen?! Miles cross-gen?! Demon´s on PC?!

Where are the value of the "exclusives", as Jim Ryan sayed?!!

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So Sony is not anti-consumer it seems

/s
Nope and old gens are not holding new games back it seems :). Glad we got that cleared up, now we can stop arguing and get back to worrying about how Grandma will know the difference between the PS5 and the PS5DE.. and how will grandpa understand that the Series S is not a Speaker for the Series X. Timmie needs to get both and is by now expecting both as ERA keeps telling his spoiled 7 year old ass he'll be getting them from his confused grandparents!

Poor grannies, in debtors prison soon thanks to Era :(. ^^

I am confused. I thought we believed in generations Sony.
They do, just they also believe in the previous generation. ^^

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
People haven't like cross gen since ever as the benefit from new generations has always been apparent. And judging by the tone of the thread, it still seems like cross gen isn't particularly popular.

Cross gen has been a specific and unavoidable reality in console gaming for the entire history of modern gaming. BC as well until this current generation.

It makes simple business sense: you sell more games when you release them on more consoles.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Somewhat? Try entirely. Two possibilities exist. Either sony knew all along they would be doing this, or they changed their mind.

IN the former case, it means they stirred up console war stuff, dissed pro consumer moves, and attacked the competition for something they were going to do. That's plain shitty. In the latter case, it means all that talk about spider-man and horizon needing the SSD to work was a lie...and sony was dissing pro consumer moves simply because the competition came up with it first.

It's especially bad that the next gen upgrade for spider-man is locked behind a 20 dollar paywall, when such upgrades on the xbox are free. So sony is not only doing the thing they attacked microsoft for doing...but they are doing a worse version of it.

Wherever you stand on the issue, microsoft laid out their gaming philosophy years ago and have stuck to it. Through ridicule to thepoint now where even their staunchest rivals are being froced to adopt it. Sony has not articulated a philosophy for next gen beyond 'SSD! SSD! SSD!'. Today's news means they have either gone back on that philosophy, or never really had it.

Had they simply gone along with microsoft form the get go this would not be an issue, but sony used this as a wedge issue to differentiate their ecosystem form microsoft.

fantastic post.

Oct 25, 2017
Being fair to Sony though their one of their biggest launch games is exclusive in demons souls which makes sense as it is by far the most impressive looking of the bunch.

It's kinda funny though because that's a PS3 game so from a game design perspective "the power of the PS5" isn't really needed.

edit - and to be clear I'm fine with cross gen games. This was just kinda shitty of Sony.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm happy about this. I have a PS4 and I'm about to buy a new gaming PC (which grants me access to Xbox games).

I was inevitably going to get a PS5 when the exclusive library built up a bit, but this move delays that by quite a few months which kicks the FOMO into the long grass for me.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Horizon crossgen is extremely disappointing to me. I understand is hard to make an AAA game and leave more than 100 million users out, but was hoping the game would be optimized to take full advantage of the PS5 architecture, and as a crossgen title i dont see that hapening.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda disappointed with Horizon Forbidden Wilds being cross-gen. I really wanted it to go all-out with next generation features, but I guess this means I can play it without buying a PS5.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm more curious about if these crossgen games are simply BC on the PS5 or if they're cross-buy so you get the PS5 version when/if you upgrade?

If I decide to stick with my PS4 for Miles Morales, do I need to buy it again when I eventually get my PS5?

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Not surprised. It's gotta be hard to give up that 110 million install base. I just hope the new God of War is actually next gen.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
What's baffling to me is people trying to spin cross gen disappointment as a new thing and a console warrior thing. You must not have been around gaming forums for the start of the previous two gens if you think the perception of cross gen hasn't always been that it holds next gen games back from fully utilizing their feature sets.

Oct 30, 2017
Cross gen has been a specific and unavoidable reality in console gaming for the entire history of modern gaming. BC as well until this current generation.

It makes simple business sense: you sell more games when you release them on more consoles.
The business sense of it was never really in question.
Nor did anyone really ever dispute that they could sell more units by doing a cross gen approach.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more curious about if these crossgen games are simply BC on the PS5 or if they're cross-buy so you get the PS5 version when/if you upgrade?

If I decide to stick with my PS4 for Miles Morales, do I need to buy it again when I eventually get my PS5?

PS Blog has you covered: Short answer, you're good!

blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5 launches in November, starting at $399 for PS5 Digital Edition and $499 for PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive

New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we're happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

----

Not sure about the OG Spider-man PS4 upgrading to the remaster version tho. They haven't clarified that, but I assume they would?

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Spider-Man, Horizon, and Sackboy coming to PS4 is great news for me. No need to buy a PS5 until late next year. Is this the first dual console launch without a major exclusive on either console?

Oct 25, 2017

I totally agree with this post.

Personally I think the were going to do cross gen. It would take forever to go back and make these games work with the PS4.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter who does this. Cross gen games means sacrifices in game so what the point of spending money on next gen machines.

I mean whether you are for or against cross-gen is whatever, I feel Sony should get shit, not for cross-gen but misleading people.

This post nails it

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So because those who claimed to hate the idea of crossgen (when it seemed it was mostly a MS issue) are still saying crossgen is shit when Sony are also doing it, we actually have some people claiming this just shows how Sony fans have backed themselves into a corner and still have to say it so as not to eat crow? And not that those people might have actually meant that they hate crossgen in the first place and weren't just attacking MS in some sort of console war, but were just stating what they truly thought (that crossgen holds games back)? Stating the same opinion, no matter who the console maker is, shows that you never really believed it?

And in a thread (multiple threads in fact) full of many, many people pissed off about these Sony games being crossgen, there's reply after reply implying (or even directly stating) that those who complained about crossgen on Xbox are suddenly silent or have changed their mind?

imagine understanding this post

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter who does this. Cross gen games means sacrifices in game so what the point of spending money on next gen machines.

Better frame rates, higher resolutions.

Its a big reason PC gamers upgrade their components. Demon Souls will be exclusive at launch, with more PS5 exclusives coming down the line. If the line-up doesn't appeal to you at launch, just wait another year and buy a PS5 then.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
PS Blog has you covered: Short answer, you're good!

blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5 launches in November, starting at $399 for PS5 Digital Edition and $499 for PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Drive

New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we're happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

----

Not sure about the OG Spider-man PS4 upgrading to the remaster version tho. They haven't clarified that, but I assume they would?
You. Are. Awesome!

Thanks, that clears it up nicely.

Kitano

Mar 28, 2019
Now that the high quality versions of the gameplay trailers were released, I cannot understand even more why being cross-gen is an issue.

The games look fantastic.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
So much for "We believe in generations", eh guys? lol

Seriously though, games are scalable. Given the time and cost to create these monster AAA titles, it makes no sense to leave the previous gen behind if it can be made at an acceptable fidelity on current gen tech. Looks like we won't be seeing True Next Gen (tm) titles for the next year or two after all.