• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
That's a killer lineup...but why so soon? We only just got October's games like 2 days ago.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I hope Kiwami doesn't put off newcomers to the series. I think going 0 would've been a better choice but better than nothing I suppose. I'll probably try out Bulletstorm, finally.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes! First time playing a Yakuza game! I've played Bulletstorm on PS3 and didn't really like the vibe, but I'm not buying one of the AAA shooters this fall, so it will be good to scratch that FPS itch

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really enjoyed Bulletstorm on 360, should be fun to replay on PS4. one of the better months for PS Plus this year.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Great month. Unfortunately nothing for me because I have Kiwami on disc and I played Buttstorm ages ago and have no desire to play it again.

For anyone new to Yakuza, I would highly recommend buying and playing Yakuza 0 before jumping in with Kiwami. Trust me

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone new to Yakuza, I would highly recommend buying and playing Yakuza 0 before jumping in with Kiwami. Trust me

Could you put a few non-spoiler words on why? I know nothing of the series, but really looking forward to try it. Is it because of storyline and characters leading from 0 up to Kiwami?

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Could you put a few non-spoiler words on why? I know nothing of the series, but really looking forward to try it. Is it because of storyline and characters leading from 0 up to Kiwami?
The story of 0 gives you a greater sense of understanding the emotional beats of what happens early in 1/Kiwami. The context 0 provides is just essential at this point.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "Kiwami will push away new people, it's better try 0 first" is rather stupid, considering 0 is the latest (excluding 6 and the recent Kiwami 2, both with Dragon Engine, so new in some aspects) game in term of gameplay features and quality of life stuff. It's good starting with Kiwami, considering it's the first Yakuza game. And no, 0 isn't really supposed to be the starting point of the franchise, simply because later releases (with released earlier in reality) still lack stuff from 0, at least partially. So yeah, in my opinion it's totally ok starting with Kiwami, the ideal order should be the release order of the games, with Kiwami 1 and 2 replacing the original Yakuza 1 and 2 (while I still prefer Y2 over Kiwami 2), but considering many people have a Ps4 only, playing Kiwami now and 0 later it's good too. It's not that 0 and Kiwami are so different, anyway, saying stuff like Kiwami could push away people from the franchise is false, considering Kiwami is pretty good on what it is, aka a remake of the original Yakuza. Yeah, substories suck here, but they suck on Kiwami 2 too, so here it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Also from a gameplay perspective, Kiwami plays like an expansion pack to Yakuza 0. The difficulty feels like it's ramping up from the end of Yakuza 0.

It's still an excellent game, but if I wanted to surefire get someone hooked on the franchise, I'd want them to experience one of the best entries.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
While both 0 and Kiwami can be considered starting points, the storylines and characters you get introduced to in 0 really colors and contextualizes the events of Kiwami, offering perspectives you wouldn't appreciate if you jumped straight into Kiwami. Not to mention that Yakuza is one of those franchises where chronology matters, where the games tell one continuous story (for the most part). It would only be fitting starting with Kiryu's first adventure.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The "Kiwami will push away new people, it's better try 0 first" is rather stupid, considering 0 is the latest (excluding 6 and the recent Kiwami 2, both with Dragon Engine, so new in some aspects) game in term of gameplay features and quality of life stuff. It's good starting with Kiwami, considering it's the first Yakuza game. And no, 0 isn't really supposed to be the starting point of the franchise, simply because later releases (with released earlier in reality) still lack stuff from 0, at least partially. So yeah, in my opinion it's totally ok starting with Kiwami, the ideal order should be the release order of the games, with Kiwami 1 and 2 replacing the original Yakuza 1 and 2 (while I still prefer Y2 over Kiwami 2), but considering many people have a Ps4 only, playing Kiwami now and 0 later it's good too. It's not that 0 and Kiwami are so different, anyway, saying stuff like Kiwami could push away people from the franchise is false, considering Kiwami is pretty good on what it is, aka a remake of the original Yakuza. Yeah, substories suck here, but they suck on Kiwami 2 too, so here it is.

What do you mean 0 is the latest? It released a full year before Kiwami. It has story threads that continue on into Kiwami and even Yakuza 6 as well. And having played both back to back 0 is the better game and starting point for anyone to jump into the series. Sure Kiwami is fine but I can see people not getting super into it considering it honestly feels like an add-on to 0.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
What do you mean 0 is the latest? It released a full year before Kiwami. It has story threads that continue on into Kiwami and even Yakuza 6 as well. And having played both back to back 0 is the better game and starting point for anyone to jump into the series. Sure Kiwami is fine but I can see people not getting super into it considering it honestly feels like an add-on to 0.
Kiwami came out a long time ago in Japan iirc. It only got localized because of how well 0 did?

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, 0 was the latest Yakuza released with the old engine before 6 and Kiwami 2, excluding Kiwami 1 which is remake using the old engine as well. 0 is better than Kiwami for the gameplay, substories and minigames for sure, but Kiwami is not bad as people say. Substories are crap and I agree, but the game is very good regardless, I still prefer the much easy to follow plot of Kiwami 1 and 2 to later releases which literally throws you 30-40 minutes cutscenes way too often.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, 0 was the latest Yakuza released with the old engine before 6 and Kiwami 2, excluding Kiwami 1 which is remake using the old engine as well. 0 is better than Kiwami for the gameplay, substories and minigames for sure, but Kiwami is not bad as people say. Substories are crap and I agree, but the game is very good regardless, I still prefer the much easy to follow plot of Kiwami 1 and 2 to later releases which literally throws you 30-40 minutes cutscenes way too often.

That's fair. I recommended 0 to a friend and he was like "Thanks Hammerface, I really enjoyed having a minute of gameplay before 45 minutes of a cutscene".

I had completely forgotten the game basically takes away your ability to play until like an hour in.

And since this is free I'm sure people will be more open minded, but the thing that does worry me is that the combat in Kiwami was frustrating. I don't know what it was but even by the end of the game I was getting my ass beat hard even by random encounters, while in 0 I was holding my own throughout the majority of it. So that might be the main thing to push people away from this series.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Guess I can start getting into Yakuza. Should I play this one first or Zero? I think it will be simpler if I just go by order of release starting with Zero.

Play Zero first.

YYFYwQ1.gif

Kiryu-chaaaan!

Oct 27, 2017
Damn... I think a lot of people are going to play Yakuza Kiwami and be a little turned off from the series. It's a good game, but it's not the masterpiece that is Zero.

Kiwami feels like a direct sequel to Zero. In fact it almost feels like an expansion on Zero...

Also Zero is just flat out a better game. Kiwami is really solid, but Zero is a masterpiece.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Great month. Unfortunately nothing for me because I have Kiwami on disc and I played Buttstorm ages ago and have no desire to play it again.

Agree with this. I just recently finished 0 as my first Yakuza game and I'm hooked. I was just going to buy Kiwami but now I'll wait for it on PS+. The series is damn fun and Yakuza 0 was amazing.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've been itching to replay bulletstorm for awhile now, damn thing never really dipped into bargain game price.

Also in for yakuza kiwami.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
As someone who does not own a Ps4 anymore but will buy again to play Spider-man, sometimes when I see cool games launching on Ps+ I get a desire to sub again so I could play latter.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Perfect timing for Kiwami as I was planning on picking it up soon anyway. Waiting until November helps too since I finished 0 about a month ago, and I heard playing them back-to-back isn't recommended.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow please be true wow please be true pleaaaaase!!!
This could end up being the best month in the whole year. Maybe in many years.
For once be true.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
dang that was quick. don't they usually wait till the end of the month to announce. Either way, great titles!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Perfect timing for Kiwami as I was planning on picking it up soon anyway. Waiting until November helps too since I finished 0 about a month ago, and I heard playing them back-to-back isn't recommended.
It's not as bad with Kiwami as it's on the shorter side (30-40 hour), but yeah you'll very likely get burn-out still, as there's a lot of repetitive stuff and the fighting system is pretty much just the same, though does have a few new moves.

I played 4 (70-80 hours) than 5 (115 hours) back-to-back and burnt-out so hard around halfway through I took about 6 months to finish up 5.