• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the PS showcase?

• #TeamMay

Votes: 422 54.0%
  • #TeamJune

Votes: 280 35.8%
  • #TeamNoShowcase

Votes: 80 10.2%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Where does the GTA VI announcement fit into all this? Please, it's been a million years.

GTA6 is very likely to be shown by Rockstar at their own event which will occur whenever they want to, because they're Rockstar. That said, Jim Ryan did play up SIE's relationship with Rockstar during the PS5 Future of Gaming event, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility that something could be in the works. If, somehow, Sony were to secure a GTA6 trailer for their Showcase then I would wager that this would be after Rockstar has already done their first official reveal at their own event.

I suppose there may be SOME tiny bit of precedent since the rumor has it that RDR2 was supposed to be shown at the Sony E3 2016 event but got pulled which is why we got a long gameplay segment for Days Gone to close the show. Assuming that rumor is true then Rockstar and Sony may have some sort of relationship that might allow for their game trailers to show up at a Sony event. A lot of "if's" in that though.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
To get a sense of the scale of third party titles that might be shown at this Showcase, it's probably best to look at the 2 large State of Plays that Sony held last year and all the titles that showed up there. Grubb indicated that Sony cancelled their 2022 Showcase plans as some devs weren't ready, so it seems what Sony did was split the remainder of their Showcase announcements up between those 2 large State of Plays.

Since this year is effectively a soft reboot for the PS5, I suppose anything is possible though and Sony may try to pull out all the stops with first and third party announcements to make as large a splash as possible. Since some devs weren't ready last year I would imagine their announcements would get pushed to this Showcase, and add that to the announcements meant for this Showcase, I think we could be looking at quite a hefty amount of first party content. Last year all we really got in the way of first party and published content was TLOU Part 1, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Horizon Burning Shores. It seems evident that plenty of first party content got their reveals delayed last year due to the lack of a Showcase.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
GTA6 is very likely to be shown by Rockstar at their own event which will occur whenever they want to, because they're Rockstar. That said, Jim Ryan did play up SIE's relationship with Rockstar during the PS5 Future of Gaming event, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility that something could be in the works. If, somehow, Sony were to secure a GTA6 trailer for their Showcase then I would wager that this would be after Rockstar has already done their first official reveal at their own event.

I suppose there may be SOME tiny bit of precedent since the rumor has it that RDR2 was supposed to be shown at the Sony E3 2016 event but got pulled which is why we got a long gameplay segment for Days Gone to close the show. Assuming that rumor is true then Rockstar and Sony may have some sort of relationship that might allow for their game trailers to show up at a Sony event. A lot of "if's" in that though.

Can't imagine that's here, it will have it's own dedicated event and be announced ahead of time.

Oh I'm 99.9% sure GTA will have its own thing, can't imagine Sony or Geoff would even want to host it under normal circumstances, would be a huuuuge disservice to all the other games in said show. But I was wondering if Rockstar is officially revealing it this summer then I doubled checked and both GTA V and RDR2 were revealed in October, so we wait.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I'm 99.9% sure GTA will have its own thing, can't imagine Sony or Geoff would even want to host it under normal circumstances, would be a huuuuge disservice to all the other games in said show. But I was wondering if Rockstar is officially revealing it this summer then I doubled checked and both GTA V and RDR2 were revealed in October, so we wait.
They announced RDR2 by changing their twitter profile pic, so definitely wouldn't try and predict R*.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Does phase 2 mean actual ps5 games, is crossgen finally over?

The whole thing about crossgen for first party titles was artificially extended due to the pandemic delays. Based off everything we know, it was only supposed to go until the end of 2021. Other than some live service titles like MLB and future Destiny expansions, the vast majority of first party content coming out of SIE should be current gen only.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I know FF16 won't be out by then, but I still hope we see FF7 Rebirth at the showcase...

I think most are expecting that FF16 will be at the Showcase with a demo announcement. Considering FF7 Rebirth is slated for this upcoming winter, this would most definitely be the place to show it off as well.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just want it to be May because I picked that in a predictions thread....and I need some picks to be right, lol.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Would love to see some TLOU Factions, and a tease at Naughty Dogs next project.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I think most are expecting that FF16 will be at the Showcase with a demo announcement. Considering FF7 Rebirth is slated for this upcoming winter, this would most definitely be the place to show it off as well.
I guess it would really depend on when this Sony Showcase will happen. I think FF16 is having it's own pre-launch showcase on June 11th, and that's where I expect demo announcement since it fits well with Yoshida's comment about demo releasing about 2 weeks before launch.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I think we can agree that it is going to be one for the ages - I check Era every day for news.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

images

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
All these lists people are guessing made me realise I've really fallen away from gaming more than I thought.

The only even remotely interesting thing listed is factions and I can't even be fully excited about that with it being live service. I don't want/need what feels like a second job. I did that song and dance too many times.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
There's so much stuff i want to see, it better be like touring Willy Wonka's factory when it happens.
I don't want any filler this time.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got a feeling it'll be announced this year, would not be surprised if it gets revealed at a Sony show around SGF time.
Nah Rockstar always announces on their own time. Maybe Sony gets the GTA Online 2.0 announcement/trailer but GTA6 is almost definitely gonna be Rockstar themselves. They can just drop it on YouTube and it'll blow up.

Jun 25, 2022
Nah Rockstar always announces on their own time. Maybe Sony gets the GTA Online 2.0 announcement/trailer but GTA6 is almost definitely gonna be Rockstar themselves. They can just drop it on YouTube and it'll blow up.
Do you know where was RDR2 revealed? I don't remember clearly but I think it was revealed at a Sony showcase in 2016. Couldn't find anything online.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I think we can agree that it is going to be one for the ages - I check Era every day for news.
The stars are aligned for it to be possible.

Many of their studios are 2-3 years since their last game and some more than that
They have acquired studios that have yet to announce their first game and may need to do hiring
Naughty Dog, SSM, and Guerrilla despite shipping recently might be Multi-game studios like Insomniac
It will be have been greater than 20 months since their last showcase

An E3 2016 level show is possible, IMO.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
TLoU Factions
FFVII Rebirth
Kingdom Hearts 4
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Half-Life Collection (including Half-Life Alyx)
Braid
New Santa Monica project
New Naughty Dog Project
Infamous Remake (Bluepoint)
Tekken 8
Dragon's Dogma 2
Death Stranding 2
Silent Hill 2
Detachable disc-PS5
PS5 Slim
Project Q-Lite

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
TLoU Factions
FFVII Rebirth
Kingdom Hearts 4
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Half-Life Collection (including Half-Life Alyx)
Braid
New Santa Monica project
New Naughty Dog Project
Infamous Remake (Bluepoint)
Tekken 8
Dragon's Dogma 2
Death Stranding 2
Silent Hill 2
Detachable disc-PS5
PS5 Slim
Project Q-Lite
You could pick 5 and it would be an amazing showcase.