• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elgrannacho

Banned
Apr 23, 2022
Argentina
Guys, if you bought a discounted PSplus nobody will take it way from you. It seems that this decision it's meant to avoid you to buy a discounted Essencial to then do the upgrade and buy an Extra tier at a -non existent- discounted price.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that I'm not 100% sure what's going to happen in my situation:

jG7a2gJ.png
Unless they change policy you will have Premium until 2025

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never said the consumer was wrong. I think what Sony is trying to pull here is very scummy, I've made that clear.

But saying they won't honor what was confirmed in a FAQ not long ago is a bit much IMO.
I mean they didn't honor the PS+ codes stacking they sold after the blog post. Even tho their website still advertises it as a feature.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Once again. Old purchase contract was fulfilled. An upgrade represents a new contract of sale, including new prices. That's legally clean. Most buyers aren't affected.
I still don't believe this is 'ok'. It wasn't disclosed on purchase that it would affect the cost of the continuation of your subscription, in whatever form.

Edit: Plus what NewDust above says.

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
I cannot believe we have people defending this, especially given that people who stacked are forced to upgrade for the entire duration of their stack.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if you bought a discounted PSplus nobody will take it way from you. It seems that this decision it's meant to avoid you to buy a discounted Essencial to then do the upgrade and buy an Extra tier at a -non existent- discounted price.
The point is if you bought PS+ at a discount during a legitimate sale from Sony, even just 1 year, and want to upgrade that PS+ sub to Premium/Deluxe, you have to pay to cover the difference between the discount price and the normal price on top of the upgrade cost.

That's definitely wrong.
No, this is correct. If you want to upgrade from Essential, you have to pay a prorated amount based on how many days you have left whether that's 1 day or 1000 days.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have enough experience with tiered subscription services to say much about having to upgrade all your remaining lower tier months in one gol I wouldn't be surprised if the system Sony setup just isn't built to keep track of multiple tiers at the same time.

The second issue with discounted subs requiring more money to upgrade is super scummy. There is no defence to trying to take away the money saved from discounts that Sony themselves setup.

Elgrannacho

Banned
Apr 23, 2022
Argentina
You know what they meant. People who want to upgrade have to upgrade all months of their current subscription, not just whatever months they wish, like 1 month to see how the upgraded service is.
Wrong from Sony, I mean. Now, I have a question: Let's suppose I'm 6 months in my current PS+ year and I decide to upgrade, am I going to get a full year of Extra from that moment on or just for the remaining 6 months?

Ghostwriter74

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't believe this is 'ok'. It wasn't disclosed on purchase that it would affect the cost of the continuation of your subscription, in whatever form.

Edit: Plus what NewDust above says.

You can believe what you want, but nothing changes in the laws in the EU. That may be different in the US.

In the end, it remains to be seen whether Sony will pull this off at all. I'm just evaluating the legal side, not whether it's fair or not. Legally, I can only say that the purchase contract was fulfilled and the buyer cannot assume that he will receive an upgrade under the old conditions. If he doesn't like Sony's new terms, he doesn't have to upgrade and the old contract stays in place.

But I repeat myself. I don't like what Sony is doing either.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, Arrogant Sony fucking sucks. You dont see Microsoft pulling this shit with Game Pass Ultimate, and thats such an open secret Microsoft employees practically meme about it. Yet here we have Sony doing everything possible to not only take back their words, but actively write policy to screw people over, undo past marketting, and try and nullify the whole thing.

Fuck, its just such a terrible PR move too. So a few people took advantage. So what, You had all these people Super-fucking excited about your new service, and you just went and killed all excitement for it. Why go burn all that goodwill when you could have instead just quietly ended the original deal, said "Congratulations" to the original lucky couple thousand (and I'm likely vastly overcounting it), then used those same people as free advertising to get more people to subscribe through word of mouth.

Last edited:

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
Jesus Christ.

And people say that Nintendo is the greedy one. Guys, vote with your wallet, don't buy it and go to social media.

I'm a Nintendo gamer since... well, since ever (this gen I bought a series s too but I had to sell it to make a surgery). It's normal to see some Nintendo fans complaining about some things like price and bad decisions... But they end up buying it anyway. What's the point then?

When it comes to Sony, they were not able to sell all the PS5 they want because of the lack of components... So they want more money from the people they already have in their ecosystem.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might be the most indefensible thing they've done so far (business wise)

Guess I'm just not getting any upgrades tiers then

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent tens of thousands on PlayStation products since PS2, my current spending with them is zero. It can happen.

I appreciate this. Trying to do my best too and have turned it into an exclusive only machine after the GT7 fiasco.

Now it's going to be an "after two years waiting on a discount exclusives machine."

Was going to subscribe to premium because of the demos, but no more. In principle.

Moved entirely to Steam and Xbox. Steam specifically is fantastic for friendly policies.

May 10, 2019
Sony, you literally were selling PS+ subscription/cards with discounts you yourself offered in your own store or through other retailers that your customers bought because it was a deal, again you offered.

Then at some point decided nah, fuck that! I'm taking away those discounts in such a ridiculous shitty way without mentioning anything about it before you launched this new subscription service.

For your customers to only find out literally the first day of the new service. That they are now responsible for paying the upgrade fee for a higher tier(okay) but also have to give back the money they saved with the discount if they want to upgrade tier.

wtf?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ.

And people say that Nintendo is the greedy one. Guys, vote with your wallet, don't buy it and go to social media.

I'm a Nintendo gamer since... well, since ever (this gen I bought a series s too but I had to sell it to make a surgery). It's normal to see some Nintendo fans complaining about some things like price and bad decisions... But they end up buying it anyway. What's the point then?

When it comes to Sony, they were not able to sell all the PS5 they want because of the lack of components... So they want more money from the people they already have in their ecosystem.

The WiiU era showed people WILL stop buying into a brand they find distasteful. Despite excellent software.

It can happen - you said it well, vote with your wallet.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Sony, you literally were selling PS+ subscription/cards with discounts you yourself offered in your own store or through other retailers that your customers bought because it was a deal, again you offered.

Then at some point decided nah, fuck that! I'm taking away those discounts in such a ridiculous shitty way without mentioning anything about it before you launched this new subscription service.

For your customers to only find out literally the first day of the new service. That they are now responsible for paying the upgrade fee for a higher tier(okay) but also have to give back the money they saved with the discount if they want to upgrade tier.

wtf?

[insert video of people whooping and hollering while sony announces multiplayer will now be part of a ps plus paywall]

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
What happened to Sony? They killed it with the PS4 generation. Maybe it won't matter in the long run, but it's just mistake after mistake this generation. These are Sony of PlayStation's biggest fans, once again, being punished. Just like punishing PS5 early adopters who have to pay more for new games. These people are influential on other potential buyers and these non stop mistakes will surely have some impact at some point.

I loved the PS4. I got a PS5 day one. And I'm often discouraging people who ask how it is.

Almost as bad as counting PS4 and PS5 games separately in this service. It's deep-down shadiness.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wtf?

Square-Enix ain't cheap, though they'd probably make more money setting up a gofundme.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you are good. You know how there are specially marked cards that have the 'Save $20' marking on them? It looks like those and the discounted ones you get straight from Sony are affected. Most likely the keys you bought from CDKeys were not from that batch; I have no clue when the updated cards/codes came out but if you bought the $30 keys from CDKeys back in late 2020, you made out like a bandit 😁

Good to know, thanks!

Curious, are the extensions still stopped, as in I can't buy more keys from CDKeys and use them right now?

And I assume PS Now sales are all gone?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Good to know, thanks!

Curious, are the extensions still stopped, as in I can't buy more keys from CDKeys and use them right now?

And I assume PS Now sales are all gone?

Correct, stacking is still blocked. You can't get PS Now anymore other than going through key resellers or trying to get enough Sony Rewards points on your Playstation credit card to get a code there.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, stacking is still blocked. You can't get PS Now anymore other than going through key resellers or trying to get enough Sony Rewards points on your Playstation credit card to get a code there.

So might as well wait for June 13th and then spend the extra yearly charge to get it to premium? And it seems, according to CDKeys anyways, that stacking (sort of) will come back?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
So might as well wait for June 13th and then spend the extra yearly charge to get it to premium? And it seems, according to CDKeys anyways, that stacking (sort of) will come back?

Stacking is not coming back. That is, you cannot extend your current PS+ sub right now (stacking). Once the new PS+ tiers come out, you can add all the PS+ you want and get it converted at a different rate. If you think you will save more money by paying Sony after the new tiers kick in vs getting a PS Now code from a third party to convert, then sure go for it. Since you said your subscription ends at the end of the year, then it might seem a lot more convenient for you to just upgrade to Premium later. If you had a lot more than a year left, then going the PS Now route would probably save you much more money.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Stacking is not coming back. That is, you cannot extend your current PS+ sub right now (stacking). Once the new PS+ tiers come out, you can add all the PS+ you want and get it converted at a different rate. If you think you will save more money by paying Sony after the new tiers kick in vs getting a PS Now code from a third party to convert, then sure go for it. Since you said your subscription ends at the end of the year, then it might seem a lot more convenient for you to just upgrade to Premium later. If you had a lot more than a year left, then going the PS Now route would probably save you much more money.

My sub actually ends at the beginning of 2024.

Would buying one upgrade of PS Now be only for the full year or would it go to 2024?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think this would be legal in the EU at least. Like you can't just charge the discount back like this.
It's amazing we're asking "Is this legal?" but for real.

I still can't believe they have the gall to think this is OK. I've can't recall anything like it.
That surely has to run afoul of consumer protection laws, not just in the EU. It seems like a clear cut class action case.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The WiiU era showed people WILL stop buying into a brand they find distasteful. Despite excellent software.

It can happen - you said it well, vote with your wallet.

The WiiU was just unpopular hardware. There was no consumer backlash driven by distaste. As soon as Nintendo made good hardware again the consumers flooded back.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
They won't. Nobody is forced to upgrade and PS+ Essential is still working.
Yeah, that's not really how things work under statutory law, at least in the U.S. The fact that you're not "forced" to buy something isn't any kind of affirmative defense if there is applicable consumer rights legislation on the books, and in certain circumstances, such legislation prevents companies from being able to have consumers contractually waive those rights. I'm not familiar with EU laws, but I would be shocked if it's any different. The question then becomes if there is any statutes or regulations governing this type of scenario.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I said weeks ago that its ultimately a gamble to be one of those people that stacks like 8 or 10 years of PS Plus or what have you, cuz at the end of the day you never know what can happen in the future regardless of how good a deal it is.

But damn, Sony really went ahead and surpassed my expectations here, scummy af, imagine actually punishing people for getting an earlier discount. So if I understand this correctly, essentially people that have a shit ton of PS Plus years saved up are now almost borderline locked out of upgrading to Extra/Premium because the price difference to upgrade is so absurd that most people aren't going to want to

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of assumptions so I'll wait for more info but my PS Plus sub on PSN shows "PlayStation®Plus: 12 Month Membership - 33% Off" and I'm only stacked until March 2024 (with PS Now until Oct 2022)

This whole new system by Sony just seems to be a worse deal everytime I hear about it, I'll be going back to no subscription and just buying the exclusives on sale when I want .. it just seems safer all around until they sort this mess out and realise what it's cost them.
I checked this and see no discount mentioned next to my 3 years of stacked psn subs. I did get them discounted but through cdkeys and/or Amazon. Hopefully, Sony has no insight into the discounts given by third party vendors and views those stacked subs as bought for full price ($59.99 per year).

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
Let's say I want the ps plus Extra tier and I have ps plus essential until July of this year. Am I better off letting it lapse, then signing up for ps plus extra? And at that point buy ps plus essential codes to add time onto it?

Will the conversion chart come into play at that point?

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is like addicted to great ideas that end up having such massive caveats of stupid that ultimately ruin it and make them out to be greedy assholes who act before they think.

For the players (who pay)

Kalosky

May 17, 2022
Hey everyone, I figured this would be the best place to ask. I recently obtained a used PS4 via sister in law and am kind of confused on all of this...

So, as of now, I can ONLY get PS Plus but not PS Now? I have to wait until all of this rolls out next month...? There are so many games I want to play (I skipped the PS4 so I haven't played GoW, Spiderman, Bloodborne etc) but as far as I can tell, I am not able to actually sign up for PS Now...right?!

Official confirmation of discount needing to be paid back from customer support

Kanji Master

Apr 3, 2022
An official email from Sony customer service.

Edit:
The screenshot is from a Chinese gaming news site VGtime, I know this user who posted the screenshot and got his approval for using it.
Here is the source:
星術, VGtime游戏时光.

Google translate plus minor wording:

Thanks for contacting PlayStation Support.

About your inquiry about PlayStation Plus membership subscription price, thank you for your support. Since you purchased the PlayStation Plus membership at a discounted price at that time, after this new PlayStation Plus membership is launched and there are two PlavStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

1. PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.
2. PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

Therefore, if you need to upgrade to the second or third tier of premium membership, you need to make up for the difference in the previous discounted price first to return to the normal price. For example: the one-year PlayStation Plus membership was HK$308, the discount price was HK$187.6, and the difference was 120.4 X the number of remaining months, please rest assured, if you need to upgrade, the system will automatically calculate the amount that needs to be paid back for the difference.

Of course, you can also choose to upgrade or downgrade the membership service according to your own preferences. If you do not upgrade, the PlayStation Plus membership service you are currently using will not be affected. Game discounts, monthly free games and the usage rights of 100GB of online storage space remain unchanged, please rest assured.

Finally, we have recorded and dealt with your valuable comments, thank you for your support.

I hope this helps. But if you have any other questions, please contact PlayStation Support and a support person on our team will be happy to assist you.

PlayStation support team

9-CE5-DA06-48-B5-4-D83-B786-C6-DD52356984.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
What happened to Sony? They killed it with the PS4 generation. Maybe it won't matter in the long run, but it's just mistake after mistake this generation. These are Sony of PlayStation's biggest fans, once again, being punished. Just like punishing PS5 early adopters who have to pay more for new games. These people are influential on other potential buyers and these non stop mistakes will surely have some impact at some point.

I loved the PS4. I got a PS5 day one. And I'm often discouraging people who ask how it is.

Almost as bad as counting PS4 and PS5 games separately in this service. It's deep-down shadiness.

The good chunk of the old PS4 leadership that made the PS4 so insanely successful is gone.

Adam Boyes, Playstation VP who worked relations with 3rd parties? Leaves 2016.
Andrew House, SIE boss? Gone in 2017.
Shawn Layden, Chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios? Just retires unceremoniously in 2019.
Shuhei Yoshida? Still with Sony but stepped down as SIE Worldwide Studios President as he was replaced by Hermen Hulst from Guerilla Games in 2019.

The later ones happening a year before the launch of the PS5 when Jim Ryan becomes president and CEO of SIE in 2019 did fuel rumors of a company power struggle.

And now we are in that Jim Ryan era of awfulness. It's only sheer momentum of the strength of the brand since the PS4 recovered from the PS3 era and the talented studios, that PS5 isn't hurting.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
An official email from Sony customer service.

Google translate:

Thanks for contacting Play Station Support.

Questions about your inquiry about PlayStation Plus membership subscription price, thank you for your support. Since you purchased the PlayStation Plus membership at a discounted price at that time, this new PlavStation Plus membership is launched and there are two PlavStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

1. PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.
2. PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

Therefore, if you need to upgrade to the second or third level of premium membership, you need to make up for the difference in the previous discounted price first to return to the normal price, for example: the one-year PlayStation Plus membership was HK$308, the discount price was HK$187.6, and the difference was 120.4X the number of days in the remaining month, please rest assured, if you need to upgrade, the system will automatically calculate the amount that needs to be paid back difference.

Of course, you can also choose to upgrade or downgrade the membership service according to your own preferences. If you do not upgrade, the PlayStation Plus membership service you are currently using will not be affected. Game discounts, monthly free games and online storage The usage rights of 100G of space remain unchanged, please rest assured.

Finally, we have recorded and dealt with your valuable comments, thank you for your support. I hope this helps. But if you have any other questions, please contact PlayStation Support and a support person on our team will be happy to assist you.

9-CE5-DA06-48-B5-4-D83-B786-C6-DD52356984.jpg
And there it is - this was an action that was deliberately done and coded on the back end by Sony in order to collect back money on people who paid for discounted PS+ either through themselves on their own PSN storefront or even through pre-paid cards sold through days of play, if they choose to upgrade their subscription.

Truly awful as they would have had to have put likely a significant amount of work and effort into this system in order to nickel and dime their loyal customers.

Get fucked Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.