• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
even_possible_aliens.gif

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I wonder if this is the Sony we might have seen, had Microsoft not screwed up their E3 presentation so royally straight before Playstation's presentation.

Alwayshasbeengif

Sony made a single gloriously timed concession to being pro consumer last gen and then immediately reverted to form. No back compat, nerfing mods on bethsoft games for no reason, holding up cross play when every other party was game for it. Hell, they put online play behind a paywall and hid the announcement in fine print.

They have never been shy about this and they have not been hiding it and no, this is not something you can blame on jim ryan. This is who the company has always been. The secodn they knew they could get away with it they dispensed with all illusions of pro consumer behaviour. Now maybe if people get as mad about this as they did about GT7's microtransaction hellscape it will change.

But the fact that people are saying they are STARTING to burn trhough their goodwill after nearly a decade straight of this (never mind the people I see on message board gloating at people having to pay more for trying to 'take advantage of sony') would indicate that nope, they are gonna get away scott free.

jpmoney0421

May 16, 2022

So... asia market was a testbed for this and they quickly rolled back after the backlash? 🍿

Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, sony was able to take the feedback of its launch and address the issues. Wish I knew how to tag all the folks who trolled me when I said sony would fix this issue and did not push out a worldwide launch so they can test the service with real users etc.

Multiple reports now in asia that the issue is fixed we can all move on now

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, sony was able to take the feedback of its launch and address the issues. Wish I knew how to tag all the folks who trolled me when I said sony would fix this issue and did not push out a worldwide launch so they can test the service with real users etc.

Because nothing says corporations care like them trying to push how much they can get away with it to see if they can take more money from you.

They are not your friend, they don't need you going to bat for them.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Except it was not an error. Sony got found out an are reversing course.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the reversal is for every country where the service is available, and they refund anyone who overpaid because of this policy.

The least Sony could do.

Silently reversing an anti-consumer policy is not "taking feedback" it is reversing course when caught, the very least they should do. Stop trying to excuse a corporation being anti-consumer.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
They should tell their customer service that their original strategy failed and that now they're walking it back.

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Regardless, keep an eye on it as it rolls out to other countries that they don't do a bait and switch, thinking that they've "reversed" the decision that they wouldn't do it again as it expands to other regions.

magus2k

Sep 12, 2020
I never seen a company trying to destroy their reputation in record time just for short term profits like Sony.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No, we shouldn't move on at all. The fact they had the fucking gall to try this shit on top of the other bullshit they've done recently means it should be brought up constantly so they don't try again

lianyaohuhhh

May 8, 2018

Unfortunately it is not a issue at all.

20220525_e0bc511430dd6cae1d6dgHyqUBJEZO9O.jpg

Translated by DeepL

Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support.

About your inquiry related to PlayStationPlus membership subscription price
Thank you for your support, as you purchased your PlayStationPlus membership at a discounted price at the time of
membership at a discounted price, this time the new PlayStationPlus membership is launched.
With the launch of the new PlayStationPlus membership, there are two PlayStationPlus memberships that are not eligible for other discounts,
1.PlayStationPlus membership purchased at a discount.
2.PlayStationPlus membership redeemed with a redemption code. So, if you need to upgrade to the second
or third tier premium membership. If you need to upgrade to the second or third tier, you will need to pay the difference between the previous discounted price and the normal price.

For example, if you purchase a one-year PlayStationPlus membership at HK$308, the discounted price is HK$187.6, the difference is 120.4 X the number of days left in the month.
Please rest assured that if you need to upgrade, the system will automatically calculate the price difference.

Of course, you can also choose to upgrade or downgrade your membership according to your preference.

If you do not upgrade, your current PlayStationPlus membership will not be affected in any way, including game discounts, free monthly games and online
Please rest assured that your access to 100G of storage space will remain unchanged.

Finally, we have recorded and reflected your valuable comments.
Thank you for your support!

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please contact
PlayStation Support and one of our team of support staff will be happy to help you.
Our support staff will be happy to help you.

PlayStation Support Team

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

lmao

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

clown face emoji

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Would you all recommend the digital only PS5 to someone?

I have one and I've gone back and forth on if I like it or not.

All your discs just copy to the drive anyway, you're never playing anything off of the disc. I don't like the bulge the disc drive adds to the consoles front - it's ugly af. $100 off the price, and game discs and casss (for me) are just clutter.

On the other hand I've missed out on a huge amount of savings from various sales. Digital sales still do not approach physical sale prices and special deals (like buy2get1). So that to me is the major downside.

May 14, 2021
Reminds me of MS bumping Live to 120 a year and then within 24 hours backing off. Unfortunately Sony has so many other current blunders that they havent reversed. They can fuck off for the rest of this gen.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Lol. You're ridiculous. No one thought this was set in stone - if people hadn't reacted strongly, which you were saying was unwarranted, this wouldn't have been addressed. The whole point of speaking up is to get stuff like this fixed.

Weren't you questioning if there was even a problem to be addressed, by the way? You swerved between attaching some metaphysical quality to staggered releases where a product isn't truly live until it's released everywhere and suggesting all the information we had didn't actually amount to knowing anything because we couldn't specify exactly how many users were affected. Hilarious.

Sony reversing course is great. It's also not that surprising. Every ounce of backlash they got was warranted, though.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

"Sony reversed their horrendously anti-consumer move after it blew up. Clearly they were the good guys all along!!!!"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Clownshoes post of the day

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

this has got to be a joke

even if they fix this it is not at all worthy of praise. no need to name and shame people for being pissed about this.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Alwayshasbeengif

Sony made a single gloriously timed concession to being pro consumer last gen and then immediately reverted to form. No back compat, nerfing mods on bethsoft games for no reason, holding up cross play when every other party was game for it. Hell, they put online play behind a paywall and hid the announcement in fine print.

They have never been shy about this and they have not been hiding it and no, this is not something you can blame on jim ryan. This is who the company has always been. The secodn they knew they could get away with it they dispensed with all illusions of pro consumer behaviour. Now maybe if people get as mad about this as they did about GT7's microtransaction hellscape it will change.

But the fact that people are saying they are STARTING to burn trhough their goodwill after nearly a decade straight of this (never mind the people I see on message board gloating at people having to pay more for trying to 'take advantage of sony') would indicate that nope, they are gonna get away scott free.
Probably missing a dozen or more issues like Sony strong-arming indies and providing terrible back-end services for them, cross-gen upgrade crapola etc. etc.

The notion that this company has "suddenly" become anti-consumer is frankly hilarious to me.

May 14, 2021
I bought one at launch and then noticed Sony was blocking PS gift cards from being included in many major retailer sales, as well as stupidly raising the price of games, so I sold it for a profit and bought a disc version. Sony can get fucked. If I ever buy their games again, it'll be cheap and used.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

PS+ in asia is not a beta release. What you talked about was still nonsense. They seemingly changed it, because people complained instead of finding weird reasons why this is justified.

christ0phe

May 9, 2018

That doesn't excuse them for trying to do this in the first place.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

"Real users", Jesus.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021

Digital consoles are fine if you are patient. If you want to play big AAA games on release, it is terrible. But at least right now, they put decent amount of good PS5 games on their new service, so for ~$100 per year (and there probably will be discounts) you can play them, so it is not that bad for some.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Alright can someone explain what this means for me. My PS Plus is expired and I was planning to renew to either the Essential or Extra tier (depends on the final games list for NA). Can I still buy a discounted 12-month card online? Or will I be charged the difference between the discounted price and the full price?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Don't believe their lies.jpg

That tag "33% off" was coded and added for this purpose.

They backtracked it wasn't an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.