• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way for me to complain about this without being told that I'm just mad because I don't understand?

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
(which is just normal because no service is gonna let you upgrade only 1 month or 1 year)
Microsoft and Nintendo both offer flat discounted upgrade fees. I see what you mean by month or year, but still, being forced to pay the full difference for the entirety of it is silly. Can you imagine being forced to pay $200, $400, $600 upfront if you stacked your PS Plus all the way into 2032 just if you want to try the new service?

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I'll wait to see some official confirmation before I make up my mind on this. I just can't imagine even Sony sinking this low, tbh.

I also can't imagine it being legal.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Nintendo both offer flat discounted upgrade fees.

Oh my god, I don't mean fees, I mean companies letting you upgrade for just a period of time of the membership you already have. If you have 24 months stacked of Tier 1, no company is gonna just give you the option to get 1 month of Tier 2, they're always gonna upgrade the whole thing. I do not mean fees. I do not mean the discounts. I solely mean time.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, it really feels like they are dead-set on nickel and diming everyone all the time. Sony may one day realize that good will has actual value and wish that they had a little.

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Oh my god, I don't mean fees, I mean companies letting you upgrade for just a period of time of the membership you already have. If you have 24 months stacked of Tier 1, no company is gonna just give you the option to get 1 month of Tier 2, they're always gonna upgrade the whole thing. I do not mean fees. I do not mean the discounts. I solely mean time.
Yes I amended that in the reply already, you were too quick to react.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Taking back the discount sucks. I will wait a few days before commiting. Sony have all the data for the discount given in the Asia regions, there should be a way to make this better. I see angry messages across twitter, Facebook and Asia forums.

Yeah it's pretty scummy.

I'll wait to see some official confirmation before I make up my mind on this. I just can't imagine even Sony sinking this low, tbh.

It's legit.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Are you expecting to have the service for free when your current sub ends?

I reckon that they will charge you the new premium tier price after your current two year sub period ends. That's the new price, so that's what they will charge you. I don't see the issue. Although if you currently only have PS Now and no PS+, than I can understand you not wanting to pay that much more for mostly the same service.
Apologies if I'm wrong, but I understood the following:
  1. Purchase and stack PS Now subscriptions at a low price, which are converted to higher tier PS Plus for free
  2. Your subscription period comes to an end
  3. Sony offers to renew your highest tier subscription, but not at the market price of the highest PS Plus tier, but rather a higher price to compensate for the money you saved on the PS Now to PS Plus conversion
It sounds absurd, but I believe anything from Sony. I would expect to be offered the normal price (Highest PS Tier price) for renewing after my currently stacked subscription ends.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what does this mean for me? I had (entirely unrelelated stacked Ps+ in the past during deals.) so I have until like 2032 for PS+ I had a couple of PS Now codes I redeemed that I had gotten with consoles sitting around because I had heard it would be converted to the higher tier. That's no longer the case and I may have to pay more for my existing sub despite having it already paid for?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018

Yeeeeeah I wouldn't really count on it being fake. Most of us thought that they disabling top-ups was a bug or something and waited to see official confirmation, which eventually happened. If we're seeing multiple posters having that same issue, you can bet it's real. Everything about this new PS+ has to be easy one of Sony's lowest moments, holy fuck.

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
  1. Purchase and stack PS Now subscriptions at a low price, which are converted to higher tier PS Plus for free
  3. Sony offers to renew your highest tier subscription, but not at the market price of the highest PS Plus tier, but rather a higher price to compensate for the money you saved on the PS Now to PS Plus conversion
It sounds absurd, but I believe anything from Sony. I would expect to be offered the normal price (Highest PS Tier price) for renewing after my currently stacked subscription ends.

Unless I misinterpreted it, that's not what this is about. But people who buy a lower tier at discount being charged the difference when they upgrade.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
So what does this mean for me? I had (entirely unrelelated stacked Ps+ in the past during deals.) so I have until like 2032 for PS+ I had a couple of PS Now codes I redeemed that I had gotten with consoles sitting around because I had heard it would be converted to the higher tier. That's no longer the case and I may have to pay more for my existing sub despite having it already paid for?
If you've redeemed the PS Now codes then you'll still be upgraded to Premium.

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Purchase and stack PS Now subscriptions at a low price, which are converted to higher tier PS Plus for free
I don't know/think if this applies to current PS Now subscriptions later, that's unknown/untested. This is specifically about discounted PS+ subs and upgrading from PS+ to PS Now-equivalent premium tier in the new system. When your current PS Now sub ends, it should just be at whatever the current price is?

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
That is shit. I bought discounted cards online so assume they can't confirm the price I paid?

Even so, not upgrading my access if you can just buy the PS Classic games on their own.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I don't know/think if this applies to current PS Now subscriptions later, that's unknown/untested. This is specifically about discounted PS+ subs and upgrading from PS+ to PS Now-equivalent premium tier in the new system. When your current PS Now sub ends, it should just be at whatever the current price is?
If when your current PS Now sub ends, it is whatever the current price is then, I don't see the issue. If there's some sort of "Retroactive discount nuke" as another poster described it... oh boy.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If you have PS now in addition to your PS+ you should be converted to Premium with no issues. The thread is primarily pointing out that if you had stacked just PS+ (which for many in the rest of the world was the only option as PS Now simply never launched outside of a handful of countries) you would be up for the cost of upgrading the whole amount of your exsisting stack (say 6 years worth) in a single hit. Sony also went and checked if you had purchased stacks of PS+ on a discount through their store (think days of play) and are asking for you to cover an additional amount to upgrade to extra/deluxe simply because you stacked on a discount.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sony does discount the sub themselves during certain sales like days of play sales and whatnot.

There are some people in some discords I'm in saying similar things, that they're being charged $200 to upgrade to deluxe b/c they stacked PS+ until 2026
No freaking way, this is real? That's insanity. WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS??

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
I would expect to be offered the normal price (Highest PS Tier price) for renewing after my currently stacked subscription ends.

That is what will happen. This only concerns people who have normal PS+ subscriptions stacked, who won't be upgraded to the highest tier when the new service launches.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine being forced to pay $200, $400, $600 upfront if you stacked your PS Plus all the way into 2032 just if you want to try the new service?

Yeah? It's just how it works with subscriptions. The fees could definitely be lowered to something similar to Xbox does, but no company is going to let you try for 1 month when you have a sub stacked until 2032, they're always gonna make you upgrade the whole thing.

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
If when your current PS Now sub ends, it is whatever the current price is then, I don't see the issue. If there's some sort of "Retroactive discount nuke" as another poster described it... oh boy.
The "retroactive discount nuke" is say you bought PS+ at a discount (likely from PSN itself during their sales), then to upgrade to premium/Now, you'd have to pay the difference in entirety plus an additional fee to make up the discount you got PS+ at from them. Is how I understand it.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

No way they would do that. That is a new transaction. This is an upgrade of an existing subscription.

This(the upgrade) seems needlessly punitive though, and more the result of a backend in need of some upgrades than a result they wanted. I fully expect them to charge you the difference between essential full price and premium full price in this case though.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah? It's just how it works with subscriptions. The fees could definitely be lowered to something similar to Xbox does, but no company is going to let you try for 1 month when you have a sub stacked until 2032, they're always gonna make you upgrade the whole thing.
But that is not what this thread is taking issue with - it is taking issue with the fact that Sony is targeting users who have stacked PS+ through their storefront on a discount purchase or through a promotion such as days of play and are asking these users to pay MORE to upgrade when compared to people who stacked with either pre-purchased cards or paid full RRP for their PS+ stack.

Can someone please validate if my dumb ass is understanding this correctly. Hypothetical prices ahead because I'm too lazy to find out the correct prices:
If PS+ for one month costs $10, and to upgrade to say Extra it costs another $10. If I bought 1 month of PS+ at $5, it's going to cost me now $15 to upgrade to Extra?
Based on what we know, yes, if you purchased the discounted 1 month of PS+ at $5 directly through the PSN in a promotional sale. If you bought a discounted pre-paid card, Sony would have no way of knowing i imagine.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please validate if my dumb ass is understanding this correctly. Hypothetical prices ahead because I'm too lazy to find out the correct prices:
If PS+ for one month costs $10, and to upgrade to say Extra it costs another $10. If I bought 1 month of PS+ at $5, it's going to cost me now $15 to upgrade to Extra?

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Yeeeeeah I wouldn't really count on it being fake. Most of us thought that they disabling top-ups was a bug or something and waited to see official confirmation, which eventually happened. If we're seeing multiple posters having that same issue, you can bet it's real. Everything about this new PS+ has to be easy one of Sony's lowest moments, holy fuck.

It's just absolutely shocking. Disabling top-ups is one thing, but retroactively eliminating discounts is... who the fuck thinks that's a good idea that would go down well?

I'd love to hear what someone with a background in law thinks about it.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
It's nice to see how Sony again and again are shitting on their loyal customers.

I am so glad I jumped ship to Xbox/Microsoft at the start of this generation.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I vaguely recall EA doing the same for their subs but at the same time I also recall that they refund unspend subscription time. Might be wrong though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For all those that stacked PS+ for years, you have my sympathy

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
I think it is really, really insane how Sony is fucking this all up.
Barren gameslist, PAL classics, and now this (which I think is by far the worst offender, ofcourse).
Pretty unbelievable. Or well, maybe not, but DAMN...

(And it doesn't even hurt me personally, because I was already set with a now subscription until nov 2023 and a plus sub until july 2024)

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
But that is not what this thread is taking issue with - it is taking issue with the fact that Sony is targeting users who have stacked PS+ through their storefront on a discount purchase or through a promotion such as days of play and are asking these users to pay MORE to upgrade when compared to people who stacked with either pre-purchased cards or paid full RRP for their PS+ stack.
The 2nd half of the OP is that, you have to pay the entire upgrade fee of your entire sub in full. So for those of you that stacked until 2032, that's ~$600 up front (I'm guestimating from the person who said they're being charged $200 to upgrade their stacked-until-2026 PS+) you'd owe if you wanted to try premium at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is the case here. If you bought Plus (Essential) at a discount, you are asked to pay the price difference AND the amount you were originally discounted.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, let me get this straight. Let's say I'm from the UK, and have two years of PS+ outstanding, and I want to upgrade that to PS+ Premium. I pay £199.98 minus what I paid for the PS+ originally. So, if the two years of PS+ was full price (or via a key), I pay £100 to upgrade the two years, but if I got said PS+ in the Days of Play 25% off PS+ promotion, I pay £125 for the upgrade instead, erasing the 25% discount I got from the Days of Play. That's a bit of a dirty trick from Sony.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
Seems like a lot of assumptions so I'll wait for more info but my PS Plus sub on PSN shows "PlayStation®Plus: 12 Month Membership - 33% Off" and I'm only stacked until March 2024 (with PS Now until Oct 2022)

This whole new system by Sony just seems to be a worse deal everytime I hear about it, I'll be going back to no subscription and just buying the exclusives on sale when I want .. it just seems safer all around until they sort this mess out and realise what it's cost them.

--R

Oct 25, 2017

But what the user is arguing me is that you have to pay the whole upgrade to "just try the new service", which is what I've said it's normal.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
No, point 3 is about upgrading from PS+ Essential to for instance PS+ Extra of Premium. If you want to upgrade you only pay the difference between what you paid for your current PS+ subscription and the regular price for PS+ Extra or Premium.

Edit: example: if you bought a yearly PS+ sub on PSN for 40 when it was on discount, that will translate to PS+ Essential. If you want to upgrade that to PS+ Premium, which costs 120, then you have to pay 80 for the upgrade.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure this won't fly with EU consumer laws.

You sell something at a price, you can't change the terms after the purchase is made.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what we know, yes, if you purchased the discounted 1 month of PS+ at $5 directly through the PSN in a promotional sale. If you bought a discounted pre-paid card, Sony would have no way of knowing i imagine.
Yes, this is the case here. If you bought Plus (Essential) at a discount, you are asked to pay the price difference AND the amount you were originally discounted.
Thanks!.....uhhh that's absolutely wild. On one hand you have the retroactive removal of discounts, but also, having this apply to only one form of discounted PS+ is crazy. This feels glitchy but also at the same time I wouldn't put it past Sony. Damn.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sony really trying to squeeze as much out of people as possible with this rollout. No good will at all.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So what does this mean for those of us who stacked through both PSN and retail codes? What a mess Sony has created.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is such a crazy anti consumer thing to do that I genuinely think people have made a mistake. This feels like one of those things people jump the gun about and then it turns out it's a misunderstanding.

But if it is the case then that's wild.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
So if I have 1 year of ps+ and I want to try out a higher tier for a month do I have to pay for the full year upgrade?
You can only upgrade for the full year. Or not upgrade at all.

There is ZERO option to try out 1/3/6 months of the higher tier. It's kinda stupid to be honest.

Personally I still have 3 years of subscription time left, I thought of trying out the higher tiers for 6 months or so. But now I guess not. I am not going to pay and commit to 3 years of the higher tier because I am not sure if its worth it. Too much commitment for me to enter at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.