• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I mean..I'm pretty sure that's exactly what essential is

"The PS Plus Essential tier is the one for any current subscribers that wish for their membership to continue the way it already is. This is simply a rebranding of what we know PS Plus as today, simply with a new name. This tier gives you one PS5 game and two PS4 games each month as part of your membership, as well as access to online multiplayer, cloud storage, and exclusive discounts"
No you're right

It's a change in name for base tier

OP
OP
dark494

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
IF this turns out to be true and final, then good luck to Sony with the impending shitstorm, this is such a shady and greedy as fuck move.
I added a threadmark with an example

Here's another 21-year sub, can't read it though:
DYLAQRM_LUFHDU2NCVL.jpg

In english

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
This is what it looks like for me if I want to upgrade to the Extra / Deluxe tier.

Extra
Screenshot-20220524-075529-PS-App.png

Deluxe
Screenshot-20220524-075540-PS-App.png

No thank you Sony.

I don't know if the pro rated pricing is correct. But I am definitely not going to commit to the higher tier for the entire duration.

Edit:
Added the price for Deluxe tier as well. There is no Premium tier for Singapore as PS Now is not available here, so no PS3 streaming.

For reference, PS+ Essential is priced at SGD $53.90 per annum.

Edit 2:
I did the calculation. Based on Extra tier. Prices are in SGD.

799 Days * ($89.90 - $53.90) / 365 = ~$78.80

But Sony wants me to pay $111.02.

Last edited:

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should fix this, because this is not how you win people over

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
What's the next thing they're gonna do

Make us rent the PS5 from them?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to see that some folks here don't even believe it's real.
It's only real if it happens in the NA or EU apparently.

This seems like a mistake.
Just like Sony blocking code redemptions were a mistake? From every step Sony has made with this service it's very unlikely this is a mistake. If they backtrack it will be due to the backlash, not because it was a mistake in the first place.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I think it's a silly move if it's deliberate - but that said - people stacking 15 years is just greed! The service will be completely different 15 years from now. It might not even exist. Even the 3 years you can stack with MS feels like it's pushing it to me..

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really hope these new subscriptions aren't successful. Between this and GT7, Sony's idea of what a service is is such a greedy clusterfuck. It makes me very worried where the platform is going.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the people to come in and say you were taking advantage of a loop hole like when they disabled redeeming ps+ codes.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Sony just keep on digging don't they?

Guess this also shows their thoughts on discounts for the service in the future now they've removed cards from retail stores. Which if that's the case I don't know if I'll keep my sub, lol. Think the base price was getting kinda ridiculous for what it offered but at least then I could get it on sale at some point in the year.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Big denial energy. This sort of behaviour was clearly telegraphed when they suspended buying codes so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Im glad I unsubbed month ago... I won't pay again any kind of subscription on my PS5. Luckily we can buy the PS1 games...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The link suggests that this is primarily aimed at those looking to redeem a pre-paid code. So if I went online purchased a one month PS+ code and went to redeem it, if I don't have + active or when the new plans are active and I am on "essential", I would get the full month. However, when the new system launches and I am already an active extra tier subscriber, that 1 month + code I bought, will only give me 20 days, instead of the full 32 days.

Okay okay, I think I finally get it now. This just applies to vouchers you purchased. If you're stacked for a couple of years already you'll have to pay to upgrade to higher tiers, but also you'll have to pay more if you bought at a discount. The card time conversion threw me off. Thanks.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So you are safe if your sub is from a prepaid card bought from a retailer?
I'm sure just about everyone in here hopes so.

They can only confirm you got your code on sale if bought through them ……..I think. Which is why they're penny pinching once again. If they can penny pinch Sony gonna penny pinch.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I don't think Sony is making this sub service the pillar of their platform like MS is doing with game pass. Not really surprised by this move with the way they've been going about things.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a silly move if it's deliberate - but that said - people stacking 15 years is just greed! The service will be completely different 15 years from now. It might not even exist. Even the 3 years you can stack with MS feels like it's pushing it to me..
You're giving Sony money up front. They can invest and grow that money however they want. People stacking 15 years of sub is every company's dream.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Sony is developing new ways of saying "fuck you" to its customers. It is lovely being treated as profiteers for using their own sales.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1 month PS Now card I'm sitting on, but all of these new loopholes Sony keeps adding makes me want to go ahead and redeem it before they lock me out of something too.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Sony being great one generation then shit the next is still true since the PS3 (shit, great, now shit again). These past months have just been awful.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Im glad I unsubbed month ago... I won't pay again any kind of subscription on my PS5. Luckily we can buy the PS1 games...
Has that been confirmed for all of them? I thought it was worded as "some" titles.

Regarding the thread, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Very much in keeping with Sony's decision making this generation to exploit their position of strength for maximum profits.

The only reason I have Plus right now is because they conned me into auto-renew and wouldn't refund me. I absolutely don't need it for what I use my PS5 for.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Exactly why I wad hesitant to jump all the way into the water with stacking. Did it via PS Now a little while ago for like 2 years.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a lot of assumptions so I'll wait for more info but my PS Plus sub on PSN shows "PlayStation®Plus: 12 Month Membership - 33% Off" and I'm only stacked until March 2024 (with PS Now until Oct 2022)

This whole new system by Sony just seems to be a worse deal everytime I hear about it, I'll be going back to no subscription and just buying the exclusives on sale when I want .. it just seems safer all around until they sort this mess out and realise what it's cost them.
It looks like you are who they are going after.

You bought from them at 33% off and they want that money back

😂
Edit laughing at Sony not you

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What an absolutely dumb decision from Sony. I wasn't even planning to upgrade from the base tier but any chance is now gone.

Seriously hope they revert this!

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
If you stacked at $36 and pay the full upgrade to premium, you'll be at $11 a month --yearly plan is $12. So a whopping $1 a month by paying upfront.

If you stacked at $48, you'd break even compared to MSRP at $120 a year.

If you stacked at over $48, you've paid more than a yearly rate...but less than a monthly! (he says, looking for a bright side).

So they're not ripping people off, necessarily, but they aren't being especially friendly to their biggest supporters. People with long-term subs that feel "free" most of that span, being pre-paid, spend more money in the ecosystem overall. That's why Game Pass works and why MS could shrug off initial "losses" for the long-term payoff. Sony knows they didn't need to, because the majority of people subbed up for years in advance will still buy all the Gods of Wars and Lasts of Usses etc at launch for full price.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure just about everyone in here hopes so.

They can only confirm you got your code on sale if bought through them ……..I think. Which is why they're penny pinching once again. If they can penny pinch Sony gonna penny pinch.
I mean it is not confirmed at the moment but realistically there is no way for Sony to tell so I would say it is safe.

However I find it absolutely laughable that Sony decides to target the users who went through their own store, especially as from those transactions they would have had the full 100% margin rather then having to share a small split with a retailer for a prepaid card.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and the PlayStation team seem to be in their own world at the moment and completely ignoring their competitors strategies.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't think Sony is making this sub service the pillar of their platform like MS is doing with game pass. Not really surprised by this move with the way they've been going about things.
The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized this. I don't think Sony is trying to get new users into PS+, rather just extract more money out of the current PS+ subscribers. Which there's nothing wrong with, just explains the difference in approaches by MS/Sony.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Putting aside the loss of the discount, it's insane that you have to upgrade for the full period you're stacked for.

How would this work otherwise? If you have 3 years subbed, you'd want to convert only a year of that to Premium? So you would essentially be sitting with 2 subscriptions. Are there any subs that allow that? Genuinely curious just btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.