• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I turned on my Vita today for the first time in months to download PsychoPass from PS+ and it kept throwing file was corrupted error. I tried to rebuild my database and now 4 pages of games are no longer visible (PSP, PS1, Indies), but it is still showing that I still have the same free space as before this happened. Am I screwed?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Back up what you can to your computer(maybe the hidden stuff will show up as transferable?). Then reformat the card.

Oct 29, 2017
I turned on my Vita today for the first time in months to download PsychoPass from PS+ and it kept throwing file was corrupted error. I tried to rebuild my database and now 4 pages of games are no longer visible (PSP, PS1, Indies), but it is still showing that I still have the same free space as before this happened. Am I screwed?

Sounds like you will have to reformat the card and re-download everything

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah you're fucked. I lost all my data from my 64GB about a year ago due to a similar issue. The 64GB are not reliable and from what I understand they have a higher failure rate. Mine sucked because my save data hadn't been loading to the cloud storage either so I lost like 50+ hours of progress for P4G and Trails in the Sky.

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
This has happened to me before. I had to rebuild the database 3-4 times before the bubbles came back. I ended up reformatting the card afterwards to be on the safe side and have not had a problem since. I also stopped powering off my vita and just let it sit in sleep mode when not in use. I believe my previous habit of powering it down after every use may have caused the issue since I also previously ran into the same issue with my 32GB card. Also, I now tend not to fill my card to full capacity and leave a little bit of buffer space 5-10GB.

This was done about a year ago. My older 32GB card became "corrupted" to the point where my vita wouldnt recognize it at all. I persisted and kept doing the routine of starting the vita without a memory card, powering off and inserting memory card, booting up to safe mode, until it finally recognized it and I was able to try rebuilding the database. My 32GB card has been in use on my PS TV since then without issue. I do think that a lot of times these cards can be recovered, you just have to be persistent in trying.

Last edited:

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the 64GB cards are doomed to fail. It is probably why they never released it in the West because someone would sue.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a reminder to me that the memory cards are the reason i'll never buy a vita :(

That really sucks

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine never failed, and I've had it for some 4 years now. Hopefully it never will, but I should back-up my saves just in case. I do use my Vita every workday, though, maybe the problem is related to disuse?
The Vita is and will continue to be a terrible legacy game console.
Great library and great hardware, even if it's not free of failure (like any other console), what's so terrible about that?

stray_moogle

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This happened to me with a 32GB card and unfortunately my story ended up with a fully corrupted and completely useless memory card. It's a hit or miss with these cards, total waste of money and very unreliable. Bought a Vita TV just to hack it in the future and have some sort of future proof for my Vita physical games.

Kind of going off-topic, but I'm very scared about playing Vita games in the future. I'm afraid it'll end up being one of these consoles that you won't be able to play any games in due to lack of reliable cards.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this.

Do you also refuse to buy mobile devices that have overpriced non user replaceable internal memory?
Memory cards are absolutely needed to play games on the Vita. Even if you physically own a Vita game. They're proprietary even though a microSD card would have been better but Sony didn't because they're greedy and they are the only ones that make them meaning they're extremely expensive relative to the amount of memory you get. And to take full advantage of the Vita's library, most of them are digital only. So you have a failed handheld that has a expensive, proprietary memory card required that Sony will eventually (if they haven't) stop producing. And since they're know to crap out they'll become harder to find and will be even more expensive.
So it's pure bullshit.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Exact same thing happened to me. Hadn't turned it on in months and came back to a wiped out card. The cards are shit and the whole thing is a scam, given their high price.

I have heard the smaller cards are more reliable. I have not really touched my Vita since and have been thinking of selling it because of this issue. Got a Switch now so I have a better portable but the Vita was the best way to play many PS1 classics and it will take some time before the Switch's library if independent games rivals that of the Vita.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this.

Do you also refuse to buy mobile devices that have overpriced non user replaceable internal memory?

It is not the same. The memory cards for the Vita are expensive, hard to get if you are not willing to import, and have high failure rates. I have not heard about non replaceable memory cellphones dying, and if it happens, you can always ask the manufacturer for a replacement. Some of the memory card errors are not even listed on the Sony website.

Ontopic: This was the reason I pretty much gave up on collecting Vita stuff, the prospects of being a legacy console are terrible, with unreliable memory cards. If I were you OP, I would get a 16 GB card, which I think are a little better than the 32/64 GB ones. I had one and was solid for about two years before I sold it, bought a 32 one and got burned with the same errors you describe.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Mine never failed, and I've had it for some 4 years now. Hopefully it never will, but I should back-up my saves just in case. I do use my Vita every workday, though, maybe the problem is related to disuse?

Great library and great hardware, even if it's not free of failure (like any other console), what's so terrible about that?
I made my above post before I read yours but yeah, it's a good console with huge selection of great games. Too bad Sony fucked it over because they got too greedy.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
When my card failed, I said fuck it and sold the whole thing and all the games off. I just couldn't believe how poorly thought out a portable system with expensive, fragile memory cards could be.

The game I miss the most is Frobisher Says, but other than being able to play certain indie and niche titles on the go, the Vita was a complete failure for me. I may get a PlayStation TV one day to replay Muramasa or Persona 4, but other than that, no regrets.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like you will have to reformat the card and re-download everything

This. My 64GB memory card got corrupted when upgrading from 32GB to 64GB via USB. I had to backup my saves from PS1/PSP/Vita games, then re-format the card, and restore saved games. I haven't had issues with downloads since.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm nervous for my 64GB. I'd back the whole thing up to my PC but the transfer speed is too slow so I just put game saves in the cloud when I'm done with them.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
If you have the max number of bubbles/pages, it won't show all your games, you have to add some to folders, then restart.

and yeah, my 64gb card is glitchy but it still works. i'm scared mine will die, but usually a restart or redownload will fix any problems. it's been like that for a year, when i run some digital game i haven't ran in months, sometimes it will error out , but a restart or redownload fixes it.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I heard a lot of complaints about corrupted 64GB in the past, which prevents me to get it to this day and still using 32GB card for almost 4 years and it's still functional....

Although I did experienced corrupted 64GB Sandisk SD Card on my phone last year (only 2 years usage) and makes me wonder if the smaller physical cards that have big memory capacity could be unreliable at some point or have shorter lifespan compare to smaller capacity cards...
So, I have to be careful with such thing and keep reminding myself to backup almost everything on my phone and my Vita as well...

Oct 27, 2017
I heard a lot of complaints about corrupted 64GB in the past, which prevents me to get it to this day and still using 32GB card for almost 4 years and it's still functional....

Although I did experienced corrupted 64GB Sandisk SD Card on my phone last year (only 2 years usage) and makes me wonder if the smaller physical cards that have big memory capacity could be unreliable at some point or have shorter lifespan compare to smaller capacity cards...
So, I have to be careful with such thing and keep reminding myself to backup almost everything on my phone and my Vita as well...

I mean at least with a regular SD you can walk to any store and get one, for a fraction of the price and possibly bigger than a Vita one.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I never did get around to buying a 64GB Card because of the stupid price but with all the problems people seem to have, I'm glad I didn't. A damn shame they didn't use Micro SD for the Vita.

Thankfully one of my Vita's is on FW 3.60 and hacked, so having the option to use the SD2Vita Adaptor and a 200GB Micro SD card is just amazing compared to the crappy Vita cards.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I own two 64GB cards and neither of them have failed......... yet.

Really wish the PS+ save backup feature wouldn't need to be manually enabled on every fucking game individually. It's so stupid.

MQX

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong. But what I've read in the past(here and on the other forum), was that the people who had the Asia version of the memory card, had problems like getting errors or memory card being corrupted. People who bought/used the Japanese version, said that they don't have any issues or haven't got his/her memory card corrupted. Could be nonsense what I'm saying. Because I've only read about this in the past and I'm also not 100% sure about this :/.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had the same like 3 Times with my 64 gb one.
What I do now: I always turn off my vita completely. I don't use the suspend mode, because every time the battery died, it seemed this corrupted my memory card

Oct 27, 2017
I never did get around to buying a 64GB Card because of the stupid price but with all the problems people seem to have, I'm glad I didn't. A damn shame they didn't use Micro SD for the Vita.

Thankfully one of my Vita's is on FW 3.60 and hacked, so having the option to use the SD2Vita Adaptor and a 200GB Micro SD card is just amazing compared to the crappy Vita cards.

I assume having it hacked prevents you from accessing the PSN?

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this.

If they don't have enough storage on board then yes but that doesn't really matter nowadays as virtually everything takes micro SD with the exception of Apple (but they are actually starting to put sufficient storage on board now so even that is less relevant than it was).

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess I'm crossing the 64 GB card off of my wishlist. The whole memory card situation with the Vita is so depressing. It's such an awesome system otherwise. :(

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong. But what I've read in the past(here and on the other forum), was that the people who had the Asia version of the memory card, had problems like getting errors or memory card being corrupted. People who bought/used the Japanese version, said that they don't have any issues or haven't got his/her memory card corrupted. Could be nonsense what I'm saying. Because I've only read about this in the past and I'm also not 100% sure about this :/.

If true, is there an easy way to tell what version you have? I bought mine second hand, so I have no clue where it came from.

Deleted member 21094

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My card also died forcing me to sadly stick to an 8 GB card, which holds like no games
I also hate how PSN accounts are tied to your mem cards so it's a huge pain in the ass for me to switch between JPN account and my Canadian one
I really don't want to waste money buying another card...

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
My 64 GB failed and did the same thing as well. However, after I reformatted the card and redownloaded games, I haven't had any issues again and it has been at least 2 years later.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i keep hearing about 64GB vita memory fail a lot, that made me worry, i have one from 2 years ago and still working great.
still, i don't think this effect all 64GB cards.
my card is asia version.

ddc226

Oct 28, 2017

If true, is there an easy way to tell what version you have? I bought mine second hand, so I have no clue where it came from.

I'd like to know how to tell the difference between cards as well. I had this problem happen to my 64GB card on my Vita about a year ago, and now I have two cards, one for my PS Vita and PlayStation TV.

Just going to have to be more diligent about backing up my saves and stuff!

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm sorry for your lost files, OP.

Oddly enough, I just ordered a new Vita card last week and I was struggling to decide between the 32GB and 64GB. It annoyed the crap out of me that I could double the capacity of the card for an extra $20 or so but ended up choosing the stability of the 32GB card.

I hope people with 64GB cards are backing up their saves constantly.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I own two 64GB cards and neither of them have failed......... yet.

Really wish the PS+ save backup feature wouldn't need to be manually enabled on every fucking game individually. It's so stupid.

Are you enabling auto PS+ upload on each game's livearea? Because you can do it on Content Manager > PS+ > auto-upload save data > check/uncheck multiple games at once (might be remembering some names wrong, but it's there).
I think you need to launch the game at least once before enabling it that way.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I hope people with 64GB cards are backing up their saves constantly.
I will be now. I use a smaller card that came with the Vita for my alternate account (for playing stuff that wasn't released here), but I bought a 64GB one that I was planning to use when I switch back to my main PSN account on the system - which I've been building quite a backlog for. I legit had no idea this was a known issue and I'm...kind of pissed? Bad enough I have to buy into proprietary memory cards, worse that the high cost but supposedly 'high value' option is garbage.