• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Recently the original Source engine got ported to Vita giving full support for playing Half Life 1, now Quake 2 has gotten the same treatment.

What is VitaQuake II?
As its title suggests, VitaQuake II is a port of Quake II's engine for the PSVita. Quake II is a massively popular game that was released in late 1997 by id Software as a successor (but not a direct sequel) to Quake I.

Quake II not only brought about new weapons and new powerups but also brought about an improved engine with new abilities such as being able to render skyboxes and coloured lighting effects.

VitaQuake II was created by Rinnegatamante last year and has the following features:

• Renders at native (960×544) resolution at a pretty decent framerate (around 60FPS most of the time) thanks to VitaGL
  • Full sound and music support
  • Support for the full and shareware versions of the game
  • Multiplayer support
  • Many other features including dualshock rumbling for DS3/4 users.

http://wololo.net/2018/03/11/vitaqu...n-now-play-quake-ii-native-resolution-psvita/

Even if Sony is ditching the Vita, it's a wonderful time for the homebrew community on the device. There are going to be a lot of really good/cool ports coming with VitaGL maturing as it has so far.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Would love an official PSN release. I am not going to hack a Vita as I like to keep up with recent releases.

Quake II on New 3DS is really good too. Sadly the best FPS on the console.
It sucks that version is only running in software mode though. Really, VitaGL has been such a useful toolkit also made by Rinne.

I can't stress enough how quick he is with his ports. I am literally talking weeks from initial port to stable release with very few bugs. I know a few other folks who are porting gods (There is a guy porting literally every open source program under the sun to the Pandora handheld) and these people deserve every bit of support they can get.

Awesome, too bad we didn't get more official ports like duke nukem 3d.
This is the main reason why homebrew is so interesting and should be more supported by console makers. Their console get ports from all kinds of origin platforms, really interesting.

RTCW still looks pretty darn great as a handheld game in terms of visuals. Stuff like this really makes me consider buying a PSTV as an impulse purchase.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I would hack my Vita so hard now if an exploit came out...I thought no scene would arise from the 3.60 one...how stupid I was.

Oct 25, 2017
I would hack my Vita so hard now if an exploit came out...I thought no scene would arise from the 3.60 one...how stupid I was.
Ran Henkaku before piracy, piracy happened and... I just felt like, fuck, not doing it this time. Everything was ass and broken, I felt like I was finished with Vita.

Sold it, and now regret it so hard... fucking SD adapters I could of fit all those PSN games, and the Vita was the only Sony console I bought on digital games for or owned for over a year in the past decade.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Ran Henkaku before piracy, piracy happened and... I just felt like, fuck, not doing it this time. Everything was ass and broken, I felt like I was finished with Vita.

Sold it, and now regret it so hard... fucking SD adapters I could of fit all those PSN games, and the Vita was the only Sony console I bought on digital games for or owned for over a year in the past decade.

I enjoyed Duke Nukem Megaton Edition so much on my Vita, I'd give an arm and a leg for Quake, Quake 2, Doom engine ports and so on... maybe I'll look for a second hand Vita, they're cheap now.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
There was a Nintendo DS port of Quake 2 that ran surprisingly good for the hardware (but you needed the ram expansion).
So this could get really good if someone puts work into it.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Don't plan of getting my Vita modded until Sony officially says the store front is being taken down. Do we still not have a dedicated Vita mod/hack thread here?

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
1e9fwu.jpg

Why ?

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty damn cool.

Valve/id should buy the port and release these officially.

We had so many poorly performing ports on the Vita. Decent ones would surely sell, particularly with PSTV support.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Rtcw on Vita sounds amazing, if I still had mine that's what I would use.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
PMed a mod to update the title since we're suddenly getting a flood of these games being ported using VitaGL.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could take advantage of this, but I updated past 3.6 without even knowing I shouldn't have a long time ago.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Would RtCW MP be possible then on the Vita?
Possible to make? Yes. But he said the Q3 port will need a major networking code overhaul and until then the releases will be offline only, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon for RTCW either.

He also runs Q1vita servers, so I wouldn't expect cross-play?

There was a Nintendo DS port of Quake 2 that ran surprisingly good for the hardware (but you needed the ram expansion).
So this could get really good if someone puts work into it.
The software rendered version of Quake 2 is such a great piece of code. It indeed runs on a frickin NDS, but also on Amiga AGA (Thats 1992 hardware for you). Needs the top end 060 CPU to run though.

Is this a geniune question? Because i find it hard to believe you can't see the rather obvious benefits of homebrew. Homebrew can make older, abandoned platforms gain a new lease of life through supporting systems with emulation, or a new string of games. The Id Tech games and Duke 3D/Rise of the Triad are all open source so they are usually the first to get ported over. I have Duke 3D myself on PSP. I don't see why its bad to have options.

Thing is, 3DS has its own hardware renderer library which is used by the Quake port. Sadly, the Q2 port got abandoned before implementing it.
I saw some rather vague remarks about it just now, CTRquake uses it, right?
I really think the 3DS scene should look into a wrapper like VitaGL considering the 3DS also supports OpenGLES, so it should be possible to trap those OpenGL calls to OpenGLES.

Or they should just hire Rinne to do it and you will have it then in 2 weeks tops, lol :P

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Is this a geniune question? Because i find it hard to believe you can't see the rather obvious benefits of homebrew. Homebrew can make older, abandoned platforms gain a new lease of life through supporting systems with emulation, or a new string of games. The Id Tech games and Duke 3D/Rise of the Triad are all open source so they are usually the first to get ported over. I have Duke 3D myself on PSP. I don't see why its bad to have options.

Did I say it was a bad thing?

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw some rather vague remarks about it just now, CTRquake uses it, right?
I really think the 3DS scene should look into a wrapper like VitaGL considering the 3DS also supports OpenGLES, so it should be possible to trap those OpenGL calls to OpenGLES.

Sadly it seems that the 3DS Homebrew scene already finished its run. Yes, CTRQuake uses it and it runs really nice on o3DS, and while i'm not sure if Doom uses it too, the fucker runs on 3D (90% screen size for full framerate on o3DS)

But going back to the thread, i need a Vita.

I love stuff like this!

Too bad my Vita FW has been updated past 3.60 tho...

They should try porting idTech 4 next.
Whilst's it is open source and it runs on Switch already, i can imagine that being difficult. Doom 3 on ARM isn't particularly optimized in its open source release (So not talking about the Shield TV release) and i reckon you will need to extend VitaGL with shader call backs to get it to work. But, ARM based phones have been able to run the game, although you would need a rather high end phone for it to work. The killer effect is those stencil shadows.

Did I say it was a bad thing?
Usually such a question and image macro in a homebrew thread isn't geniune because it forfeits the obvious positives homebrew ports have.

Sadly it seems that the 3DS Homebrew scene already finished its run. Yes, CTRQuake uses it and it runs really nice on o3DS, and while i'm not sure if Doom uses it too, the fucker runs on 3D (90% screen size for full framerate on o3DS)

But going back to the thread, i need a Vita.
Yeah it sucks. Perhaps New Nintendo 3DS can get some love tho (I can imagine Quake 3 could run on that aswell)

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Love these kind of things. But it always comes down on how well the controls are implemented. Quake 2 on 360 was cool but kinda unplayable with those controls. Felt like 1:1 raw mouse input just mapped to the right stick (and it probably was just that). Port was still great considering it was done by a small team (or one person? Can't remember) and only for the limited edition.