• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStatio...591106?hash=item1a78d84d02:g:8JcAAOSwxDxcl68y
http://wololo.net/2019/03/24/psvita...nit-can-be-yours-for-the-measly-sum-of-20000/

3.jpg

List of features Via Wololo.net

• The DEM-3000H84 unit itself
    • It's fully working, including the HDMI output
    • It also has a cute little sticker with a warning reading "The device must be returned to SCE!"
    • It also comes with a huge 'NOT FOR SALE' sticker on the back of the device
  • An SD card containing development files
  • A power supply with a US plug
  • A prototype LAN adapter (which isn't pictured)

A piece of gaming history, doomed to end up in someone collection until passed on to someone else for an even higher price tag.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You mean to tell me that Sony could've fixed one of the biggest, most-glaring flaws in the Vita (the proprietary memory) and just....didn't??

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh, I can see why they didn't go with the slider design, but it would have been a nice option to have.

and is that an SD card slot? oh sony...

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This design doesn't work because of how hot it got, to the point where it was irritating the skin of people holding it.

Oct 30, 2017
This just serves as another reminder of how Sony purposefully sabotaged the system with incredibly overpriced, proprietary memory. Good fucking job, Sony, you morons.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sony got their heads out of their ass and fixed it with the Slim version.
The most logical explainaton is that they wanted it to fail. Period.

Edit: Wrote "Fair" when it should be fail.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So the PSPGO was the original Vita. I didn't mind that design at all smh

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me that Sony could've fixed one of the biggest, most-glaring flaws in the Vita (the proprietary memory) and just....didn't??

Sony should have cut out the OLED, back touch, included HDMI out, and a meager amount of usable on board memory. All whilst aggressively pushing towards well integrated 'other OS' android support to fill in holes in the library.

They still could have sold a premium OLED version and kept the proprietary memory cards at that, because having some on board memory would have helped eleviate the issues the propreatary memory.

Lower MSRP, greater content, and a 'micro portable console' they likely would have done better in the long run.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Sony got their heads out of their ass and fixed it with the Slim version.

The most logical explainaton is that they wanted it to fair. Period.

No, the most logical explaination is they had a warehouse full of memory cards they were still hoping to sell. Sony didn't care about fair, if they did they would have opened up the 1GB of storage to the original Vita (Both vita models had the exact same memory layout, but they 'unlocked' 1GB of it on the LED models and used it as a selling point). You're not thinking nearly cynically enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should have cut out the OLED, back touch, included HDMI out, and a meager amount of usable on board memory. All whilst aggressively pushing towards well integrated 'other OS' android support to fill in holes in the library.

They should have also made it ao vita digital games didn't have their save data tied to the actual game download. If you uninstall a game and redownload it all your save data is wiped unless you have ps+. No way to back up just save data without doing a FULL backup.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the most logical explaination is they had a warehouse full of memory cards they were still hoping to sell. Sony didn't care about fair, if they did they would have opened up the 1GB of storage to the original Vita (Both vita models had the exact same memory layout, but they 'unlocked' 1GB of it on the LED models and used it as a selling point). You're not thinking nearly cynically enough.
Miss wrote, I meant fail haha

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So the PSPGO was the original Vita. I didn't mind that design at all smh
Yeah. The original rumours and leaks about the system, before Sony showed anything, mostly gravitated towards it being a slider, and then (closer to the announcement) the leaks changed and all said it'd be a single block like the original PSP. The reason given at the time (by the leaks) was that Sony had trouble with heating on the sliders. Everything else about the leaks is credible (I mean, just compare the photo from the article I linked to with what we see in the first post) so that's probably the correct reason for the change.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the proprietary cards were designed in part to make up for the cost of the hardware. Doubt they ever actually considered putting an SD slot on it, that could have just been for dev purposes.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, did you think they literally couldn't? Of course they could have. They made the device, they get to pick what sort of memory to use. They get to pick everything.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
"This is the rarest and most sought after PlayStation Vita hardware ever." ~ Ebay description

Well not that hard when no one ever sought the PSVita :P

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I remember talking to Assembler in college, circa 1998-1999 over AIM. Great to see how his page/forum has become the go to place for ultra rare hardware.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
They should have also made it ao vita digital games didn't have their save data tied to the actual game download. If you uninstall a game and redownload it all your save data is wiped unless you have ps+. No way to back up just save data without doing a FULL backup.

Oh my gosh are you serious? How do physical game saves work then?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

They still could have sold a premium OLED version and kept the proprietary memory cards at that, because having some on board memory would have helped eleviate the issues the propreatary memory.

Lower MSRP, greater content, and a 'micro portable console' they likely would have done better in the long run.

Or they could just do what every other device does, and have normal microSD cards.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The proprietary memory card was a fix for the rampant piracy that killed the PSP software market.

That was definitely part of it. But it was mainly how they they planned to turn a profit on machines they were selling at a loss for $250. It's why they never buckled on lowering the price of those cards all through the Vita's slow death.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I remember that unit. I'm pretty sure it's the one that also runs at PSP resolution. =/

-edit-
Don't kid yourself people, they weren't great (hence the reason they ditched the slide).

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Micro SD and HDMI out. Could have been sweet!

I understand the issues with the design though. Hard to get around heat problems.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, obviously they could've just used an SD card. Proprietary chargers/storage cards/etc. are hardly ever necessary, they are a means for the hardware manufacturer to make extra money.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The proprietary memory card was a fix for the rampant piracy that killed the PSP software market.

foolishoptimist

Seriously though, for those just tuning in: one has next to nothing to do with the other. Nintendo made the SD card security of 3DS pretty solid, it got a few snafus, but these took quite long to figure out while everyone abused... more abuseable aspects of 3DS. Besides, PSP's Memory Sticks had a proprietary extension for DRM by Sony already.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
To everyone freaking about about the MicroSD card slot, you can replace the sim card slot with one if you're brave enough. Or get an SD2Vita.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A few things to point out (having worked on a launch Vita game and having seen this - and other - prototypes for NGP.

1. Original intention was going to be the sliding design but the poor sales of the PSP Go made Sony turn away from it, and go with the original PSP-style design that we saw with the Vita.
2. SD cards were never guaranteed for retail, it's a dev kit remember so it's handy for builds, getting crash dumps etc
3. HDMI out was planned for retail, but there were some issues with the video-out chip over heating. We never saw that issue though in the studio I worked at.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Never bought a Vita becuase of the memory card prices. Would pick one up. now since you can make them work with the device now