• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I wonder why there is a PS4 and PS5 version for these games. What could possibly be the difference

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
the common sentiment in seeing is: " better than expected" lol we been hurt by Sony too many times. I'm pretty surprised by how good this seemingly is

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Default filter
1FC44DF1-64EB-4BA3-B2E1-17745FAFC341.jpg

CRT Filter
17109977-F7DA-402A-9436-E36A55C507B1.jpg

Modern Filter
F5E4504B-C0E7-4FE4-AB7C-EDF2D3700A28.jpg
I think I want to see these on a TV before making any kind of definite judgement, but on first glance the CRT filter doesn't appear to be doing much other than darkening the image.

Just noticed that Worms Armageddon is almost double the price of Oddworld & Worms World Party. Maybe there's no set pricing this time around, i.e. $6 or $10 on PS3?
There wasn't really last time either, in Europe most PSOne Classics cost €5 but the Final Fantasy games (and a few others) cost €10. There might be a few pricing tiers this time around as well.

Worms Armageddon for double the price of Worms World Party is an odd one. It's not like there's major differences between those games.

buddy on discord saying the loading is slow
no speed up function
Some of the old load times in games were hard-coded, with the games just showing a loading screen for a pre-defined amount of time that was the maximum that the game was likely to take to load, so depending on the game being talked about here that might be what's happening. Sony probably aren't going to touch those so some games are likely to have long "load" times even though actual data loading is happening much faster.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmation of custom video filters is new.

So far with at least some of these classic games we've heard of improvements/additions like...

Custom video filters
Increased resolution
Increased FPS
Trophy support
Rewind and save state features
Confirmation that you can freely access previously purchased classic games once they've been added to PSN

Not too shabby at all! I wonder what else may be in the works. Still hoping for improved textures via AI upscaling to show up at some point, if not at launch then later.

That's actually a really nice suite of improvements, if that's what we can expect. Wasn't expecting increased FPS, so maybe we'll finally see Vagrant Story at 60fps? Make it happen, Sony/SE!

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'll die happy if they somehow get the OG Crash and Spyro games up on there but I don't think Activision would ever let that happen now with the remakes still fresh in the minds of the populace.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
There wasn't really last time either, in Europe most PSOne Classics cost €5 but the Final Fantasy games (and a few others) cost €10. There might be a few pricing tiers this time around as well.

Worms Armageddon for double the price of Worms World Party is an odd one. It's not like there's major differences between those games.
I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally the same price as on PS3. I mean it's the same license so it'd be weird to charge less depending on which console you were buying from.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy wouldn't happen regardless because those games are already on PS4/5 as separate remasters. As Square is one of the only publishers that actually does remasters/ports of their titles from the PS1 era, I expect them to keep doing that rather than bringing them to this service, for better or worse. Silent Hill and MGS might be possible, it just depends on if Konami is planning collections or remasters that would include them or not, but I don't think it's impossible. Konami just has to be willing to put them on the service.
Even if they are not so good ports, FFVI and Chrono Trigger haven't gotten console ports so the PS1 copies I have would be awesome. Maybe the load times even get better.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
I think Malaysia having those games pop up in the local PS Store tonight is indicative of them rolling out the new PS+ service/tiers there. Asia is supposed to be getting them tomorrow.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally the same price as on PS3. I mean it's the same license so it'd be weird to charge less depending on which console you were buying from.
Totally possible. It'd explain the lack of a price for Ridge Racer 2 as well since that never got a downloadable release outside of Japan. Would also explain the weirdo Worms pricing.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does seem like the title-by-title implementation may shake out to be pretty good, the problem is just going to be how many titles they can get. There are thousands of titles across the PS1, PS2, and PSP, and hundreds that are very well-refined games in their respective genres--Xbox is currently the standard in this regard, so that's what they'll be compared to.

Sony in particular has a pretty bad track record here since the start of the PS4 era, in which not only did the PS4 have no compatibility with prior purchased PS Classics, when they did launch a porting effort like the one we're seeing now, they only got 54 (!) PS2 games total. Half of the list was Sony, SNK, or Rockstar games, and Namco and Square, arguably the two biggest Japanese PS2 publishers only had one game each on the list.

Aren't there only 60 something Xbox BC games. By pure numbers 54 PS2 games isn't some disaster if Xbox is the standard. What matters more is getting the big games that people want. Although many of those have been remastered or remade over years.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
HOLY SHIT! Cheaper than I expected by a little bit, sad that Abe's Odyssey doesn't have trophies, doubt I'll play that one

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Even if they are not so good ports, FFVI and Chrono Trigger haven't gotten console ports so the PS1 copies I have would be awesome. Maybe the load times even get better.
They'd be cool, and I certainly wouldn't say no to them, but I still kinda think we'd just get ports by Square if they want them on PS5, like the PC version of Chrono Trigger, or the FF Pixel Remasters. Feels more likely for them, specifically. I'd say they're the only publisher pretty much where actual ports would be more likely than a PS Classics release.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Aren't there only 60 something Xbox BC games. By pure numbers 54 PS2 games isn't some disaster if Xbox is the standard. What matters more is getting the big games that people want. Although many of those have been remastered or remade over years.
Yeah the PS2 Classics range isn't that bad, and there's a ton of remasters that have come out over the years. For me the big missing ones are MGS which are supposedly happening, and then some Xenosaga would be nice.

Jan 4, 2018
I think I want to see these on a TV before making any kind of definite judgement, but on first glance the CRT filter doesn't appear to be doing much other than darkening the image.
If you open the images in a new tab the CRT filter is much more apparent (at least on a monitor, not sure if that also comes across on a phone) compared to the embedded versions.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
No chance every game can be played online like with Nintendo's Switch emulator? Either way, this looks good. I missed out pretty much every Sony generation except for PS4 and PS5, so a whole lot of games I'll finally get to play!

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For me, the issue is the poor selection of the games, themselves. Too many of Sony's own games in particular didn't make the cut.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I wish the PS5 could read PS1/2 discs and bc would work like on Xbox.

I would be all over this.

Still no mention on whether we PAL people get to play NTSC versions I guess?

MonadoX

Apr 1, 2022
I'll take all the PS1 and PS2 jrpgs you can give me. Alot of the classics that were on the store back with the PS3 I already own, but a slightly upscaled version would make me a happy camper.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
zoom in

unknown.png

Retro
unknown.png
Ah, that does make the difference clear, thanks.

Looks like one of the more inoffensive CRT filters, I'll still wait to see it to judge it properly but at least it doesn't look as bad as a lot of them.

Not sure how much this will mean but the load time for FFVI didn't noticeably improve on PS3 when played off a hard drive that should have loaded much faster than a PlayStation's ancient 2x CD drive. Unless Sony do something quite different here I'd still expect original-CD-type load times.

Wow no jaggies? This has to be ps4/5 upscale at work?

This looks so good.
Yeah PSP games often clean up very well when rendered at higher resolutions, and Ridge Racer's art direction helps that along quite a bit. Some of the cars are low poly and also have lots of 2D elements near the back so they're going to look a bit crap in 4K, but the stage themselves will generally look fine. Probably better than a lot of people expected.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's awesome! I hope ps2 games run in this method or I guess hope they get same emu settings.
Well, that's if we get PS2 games. They aren't confirmed for the service unfortunately, and there aren't any at the launch of this service (that we know of, at least), aside from the older PS2 Classics that were already on PS4. Those games did actually have increased resolution as well (somewhere around 900p on average), but also had various emulation issues, and a number of them don't work properly on PS5 atm. No confirmation from Sony yet on if we'll get any new ones.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why there is a PS4 and PS5 version for these games. What could possibly be the difference
I wonder if the distinction actually only matters with PS2 Classics? Maybe the PS2 stuff currently available on PS4 will stay the same while PS5 gets those same games running on a new PS2 emulator? Probably not but just a theory.

Or

Could be them thinking ahead to when the PS4 is where the PS3 currently is for Sony. When they remove PS4 games from the web store it's easier to remove them if they're separate entries instead of sharing a store page?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Still no mention on whether we PAL people get to play NTSC versions I guess?

Both of the Worms games for the Asia regions have the original PAL disc IDs within their new PS4 content ids:

Worms Armageddon
EP4064-CUSA33245_00-SLES022170000000

Worms World Party
EP4064-CUSA33247_00-SLES038040000000

It needs someone to play them to determine whether they've done anything to them to make them suitable for running on 60hz displays.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that's if we get PS2 games. They aren't confirmed for the service unfortunately, and there aren't any at the launch of this service (that we know of, at least), aside from the older PS2 Classics that were already on PS4. Those games did actually have increased resolution as well (somewhere around 900p on average), but also had various emulation issues, and a number of them don't work properly on PS5 atm. No confirmation from Sony yet on if we'll get any new ones.
Oh that's true. I forgot that they're for some reason considering those PS2 games as PS4 games. Very weird distinction.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Seems like Sony is putting a lot more effort into these then I was expecting. If these classic titles are made available to purchase outside of the subscription then I'll definitely buy a bunch.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
No chance every game can be played online like with Nintendo's Switch emulator? Either way, this looks good. I missed out pretty much every Sony generation except for PS4 and PS5, so a whole lot of games I'll finally get to play!

The Worms games said no online, but has local multiplayer I believe.

Edit- corrected...Worms Party does.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
The Worms games said no online, but has local multiplayer I believe.

Worms World Party [PS1 Emulation] (English)

Experience Worms World Party originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. With both single player and up to 6 players leading their worms into manic multiplayer mayhem, this unique, wacky, outrageous, addictive and...

The descriptions for Worm's World Party confirms online play.

FEATURES:
Access the fantastic "Wormpot" which gives you over 1000 different game styles. All modes are available offline, online, or a mixture of both!
Over 20 Multiplayer missions: players can now team up with a buddy to tackle cooperative missions where working together is the only way to twin. Alternatively, check out the competitive missions and fight in specially prepared scenarios.
Single player and multiplayer, 2-6 local players
It's a veritable feast with nearly 60 weapons, ranging from the relatively calorie-free bazooka to the full fat concrete Donkey. Oh man!
If you're late to the party scene, don't worry. Our friendly training section will soon have you dancing with the rest of us.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'll reserve my judgment on the CRT filters until I can see it in motion. Good CRT filters are too far and few between these days.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Worms World Party [PS1 Emulation] (English)

Experience Worms World Party originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. With both single player and up to 6 players leading their worms into manic multiplayer mayhem, this unique, wacky, outrageous, addictive and...

The descriptions for Worm's World Party confirms online play.

JESUS I NEED DISSIDIA ASAP

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Both of the Worms games for the Asia regions have the original PAL disc IDs within their new PS4 content ids:

Worms Armageddon
EP4064-CUSA33245_00-SLES022170000000

Worms World Party
EP4064-CUSA33247_00-SLES038040000000

It needs someone to play them to determine whether they've done anything to them to make them suitable for running on 60hz displays.
That's kind of bad news.

They could be speeding them up by 20% to run at 60Hz anyway, but that won't work well with all games and also isn't something Sony have done before.

Hopefully they're something else going on, like maybe the product IDs are just used generically and it's the NTSC version they're uploading, or there's a choice of version, or just a few games are PAL versions and the rest are NTSC. I kind of suspect Sony have fucked this up again though, because they've fucked it up every other time they've done any kind of PlayStation compatibility.

At least PSP games are free from this nonsense.