• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PS1 Emulation) (English)

Experience Oddworld Abes Oddysee originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. Selected by the fickle finger of fate, Abe, floor-waxer first class for RuptureFarms, was catapulted into a life of adventure when he...

Worms World Party [PS1 Emulation] (English)

Experience Worms World Party originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. With both single player and up to 6 players leading their worms into manic multiplayer mayhem, this unique, wacky, outrageous, addictive and...

Worms Armageddon [PS1 Emulation] (English)

Experience Worms Armageddon originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. Those intrepid invertebrates return with a vengeance in the much-loved Worms™ Armageddon. It’s a whole new can of worms It’s hilarious fun that...

Ridge Racer 2

Relive the excitement Drift your way to victory in this blindingly fast race

unknown.png

Experience Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

Experience "Ridge Racer 2" originally released on the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

A summary of all the things we can get from this
PS1 games have CRT filer
PS1 games can have online functionality (EDIT: this could be wrong as the text seems to be a copy paste from steams description)
PSP Games are upressed
PS1 games trophies are Optional
A variety of scaling methods, aspect ratios supported
PS1 and PSP games support Rewind, quick save and
Saves can be uploaded online

Pricing (Approx)
20 Ringgit (Malaysia) 5 CAD (Canada) 4 Euro (EU) 4 USD (USA)
39 Ringgit (Malaysia) 11 CAD (Canada) 9 Euro (EU) 9 USD (USA)
thats some great pricing!!

A5C365B5-F685-40A3-9B78-5BE677DF4563.jpg
ADA249AD-6A4F-455C-A572-225C0CAF343E.jpg
5F03CC55-38BA-4806-9279-F66516DB2BE9.jpg
B7CB57E8-8E6D-4DC9-B8DB-E939608048BC.jpg
BE964481-9135-4F5D-83E9-DCD79FA49CB2.jpg

Last edited:

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Ridge Racer 2 too:

Ridge Racer 2

Relive the excitement Drift your way to victory in this blindingly fast race
If and until they port Ridge Racer V to this service or figure out how to emulate PS3 and port Ridge Racer 7, this is without a doubt the best post-PS1 Ridge Racer game one could possibly ask for. Ridge Racer V is sadly a bit difficult when it comes to the video output, even PCSX2 can't up-res it correctly.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Confirmation of custom video filters is new.

So far with at least some of these classic games we've heard of improvements/additions like...

Custom video filters
Increased resolution
Increased FPS
Trophy support
Rewind and save state features
Confirmation that you can freely access previously purchased classic games once they've been added to PSN

Not too shabby at all! I wonder what else may be in the works. Still hoping for improved textures via AI upscaling to show up at some point, if not at launch then later.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Bruh….I think this is going to be a much better implementation from Sony than a lot of us thought. The selection of games is probably small unfortunately but I'm impressed they are actually doing all this extra stuff.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Wait, they're going to give us the option to buy them separate too?

Ridge Racer 2 day one.

Edit: Whoa what just found this

"That means if you bought digital copies of any of the PS1 and PSP games coming to Premium on PS3 or PSP, you will be able to download a copy free of charge on your PS4 or PS5 once the new PS Plus service launches in your part of the world."

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
I remember buying MGS on the PS3 back in the day but it isn't on my purchases. Probably wont work on PS5 right?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
holding out hope for Breath of Fire representation

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Interesting. I thought they would've integrated it a bit better with the store and put "PS1" as a separate platform instead of doing "PS4" and (PS1 Emulation). Maybe a store update is coming soon?

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh….I think this is going to be a much better implementation from Sony than a lot of us thought. The selection of games is probably small unfortunately but I'm impressed they are actually doing all this extra stuff.
It does seem like the title-by-title implementation may shake out to be pretty good, the problem is just going to be how many titles they can get. There are thousands of titles across the PS1, PS2, and PSP, and hundreds that are very well-refined games in their respective genres--Xbox is currently the standard in this regard, so that's what they'll be compared to.

Sony in particular has a pretty bad track record here since the start of the PS4 era, in which not only did the PS4 have no compatibility with prior purchased PS Classics, when they did launch a porting effort like the one we're seeing now, they only got 54 (!) PS2 games total. Half of the list was Sony, SNK, or Rockstar games, and Namco and Square, arguably the two biggest Japanese PS2 publishers only had one game each on the list.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmation of custom video filters is new.

So far with at least some of these classic games we've heard of improvements/additions like...

Custom video filters
Increased resolution
Increased FPS
Trophy support
Rewind and save state features
Confirmation that you can freely access previously purchased classic games once they've been added to PSN

Not too shabby at all! I wonder what else may be in the works. Still hoping for improved textures via AI upscaling to show up at some point, if not at launch then later.

Well I wasn't thinking about getting the new sub but honestly now I don't see me not getting it.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I'm pleasantly surprised at the pricing
at this point considering streaming ain't an option for me
I'm just gonna downgrade to extra when my premium runs out
ill just buy the games outright which I prefer

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
No way these are gonna be $5 a pop, I was expecting per title unique pricing like FF7 is $15 and Abes Oddysey is $7.99 or something. With possible trophies too across the board? I'm actually starting to get a little excited but until this is fully rolled out I dont want to get disappointed

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
No way these are gonna be $5 a pop, I was expecting per title unique pricing like FF7 is $15 and Abes Oddysey is $7.99 or something. With possible trophies too across the board? I'm actually starting to get a little excited but until this is fully rolled out I dont want to get disappointed

There's some variation in the OP picture where Worms Armageddon is more expensive, so some will be higher.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The same game is $3 at Steam, much more than $5 would be bad imo

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
It does seem like the title-by-title implementation may shake out to be pretty good, the problem is just going to be how many titles they can get. There are thousands of titles across the PS1, PS2, and PSP, and hundreds that are very well-refined games in their respective genres--Xbox is currently the standard in this regard, so that's what they'll be compared to.

Sony in particular has a pretty bad track record here since the start of the PS4 era, in which not only did the PS4 have no compatibility with prior purchased PS Classics, when they did launch a porting effort like the one we're seeing now, they only got 54 (!) PS2 games total. Half of the list was Sony, SNK, or Rockstar games, and Namco and Square, arguably the two biggest Japanese PS2 publishers only had one game each on the list.
Since then though Xbox has made a huge deal about building up the back compatibility for older games and it's gained a lot of positive feedback while Sony get a lot of bad press regarding this issue
I'm glad it's being implemented

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm guessing pricing will be variable, much like how they were on the PS3/PSP store. Totally fair, and if we have any hope of Square supporting this then it'll be necessary.

Hoping this means Ridge Racer 2 is a launch title. Really wanna grab that one.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy. those are the titles that I want and will not get but it's nice to dream.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If the pricing is actually $5 USD and you get some extra features for free, that's a pretty damn good deal.
Not only that, but you get the games completely free if you owned them on PS3/PSP/Vita, even if you don't have any of the new PS+ subs. Like, I only have base PS+, and I'm going to get Oddworld for free with a bunch of enhancements. I'm still not going to let myself get too excited at the prospects of this service yet, we don't how well they will support it going forward. But perhaps I have been too pessimistic about it up until now, honestly. This is actually starting to sound decent, and these are some good games too.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy. those are the titles that I want and will not get but it's nice to dream.
Final Fantasy wouldn't happen regardless because those games are already on PS4/5 as separate remasters. As Square is one of the only publishers that actually does remasters/ports of their titles from the PS1 era, I expect them to keep doing that rather than bringing them to this service, for better or worse. Silent Hill and MGS might be possible, it just depends on if Konami is planning collections or remasters that would include them or not, but I don't think it's impossible. Konami just has to be willing to put them on the service.