• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mgtn

Feb 27, 2018
I think this thread need more life.

Here, my little memory card collection for ps2:

.hack//G.U Vol 1.

5LsUySw.jpg
KYsYKhQ.jpg

Taiko no Tatsujin

NwhQqCY.jpg

SMT: Digital Devil Saga:

sr25GGB.jpg
6LeOm6A.jpg

Dawn of Mana:

JL2XQub.jpg
zuXfnH6.jpg

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
noticed from playing on my PS2 slim at the weekend that the cmos battery is dead, aside from MGS3 are there any games that "depend" on it or can i just be lazy and leave it dead?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
What is the modern tv recommendation for playing ps2? I like CRT tv's, but I dont like the amount of space they take up, especially when moving.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
What is the modern tv recommendation for playing ps2? I like CRT tv's, but I dont like the amount of space they take up, especially when moving.

Honestly most modern TVs will butcher the PS2's 480i output. 480p will look fine on most sets but as I'm sure you know that is a pretty small section of the library. The Retrotink is a good $100 option that will de-interlace the 480i signal and then let your TV scale the 480p signal, it doesn't support 480p games though.

Otherwise an OSSC can de-interlace and linedouble PS2 games to 960p and they look razor sharp, but it is a little on the expensive side.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Man I'm dying to play Ridge Racer 5 right now, but it ain't worth it! I GOTTA STAY STRONG! I almost grab one of those PS2's on the shelf here in Osu every time I go.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I have copies of Simpsons Hit & Run and Simpsons Road Rage currently sitting in my closet, hoping the PS5 backwards compatibility stuff turns out to be true.

Oct 31, 2017
I bought Neo Contra on PSN for 1,5€.

(I'll probably get Hard Corps Uprising too :P )

Which of the PS2 Suikoden games are worth a purchase? Had the chance to get one of them, but I second guessed myself.

The best one is S5.

S3 is not as good as 5 but still a good game in the end (probably quite dated visually nowadays).

S4 is easily the worst one but I enjoyed it back then.

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know the specifics of the region for the 90006 PS2? I think it's from Hong Kong, so it's classed as NTSC-J. I just have a funny feeling their video standard is 50hz though, not 60. Does anyone know for sure? I am 99% certain NTSC-J can ONLY ever be 60hz, but I can't be certain.

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know the specifics of the region for the 90006 PS2? I think it's from Hong Kong, so it's classed as NTSC-J. I just have a funny feeling their video standard is 50hz though, not 60. Does anyone know for sure? I am 99% certain NTSC-J can ONLY ever be 60hz, but I can't be certain.

Isn't 50hz a PAL (SECAM) only thing ?

NTSC-J = 60hz only as there's no 50hz in Japan.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If TVs in Hong Kong used to be 50hz, that's pretty interesting.

But 50hz only or 50/60hz ?

That's the part I am not sure about. I just saw a photo of the bottom of the 90006 and it says 50hz, not 50, 50/60hz like you sometimes see.

I am 99.9% certain it would output NTSC games at 60hz, but I am doubting myself before buying it.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I have one of those oddball 90006 ps2's. Yes I think it's from Hong Kong or Taiwan. It works fine on 120v/60Hz power despite the sticker on the bottom. My PVM says NTSC when I turn it on so I believe it's 60Hz.

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers guys. I think I'll go for it.

Ok, next question: What's the PS2 like for playing PS1 games? I never really did this back when PS2 was current gen as I always kept my PS1 hooked up. I want to play my PS1 Ridge Racers on my PS2. I'll be connecting my component video, most likely. Maybe RGB SCART if I have to.

Oct 31, 2017
Cheers guys. I think I'll go for it.

Ok, next question: What's the PS2 like for playing PS1 games? I never really did this back when PS2 was current gen as I always kept my PS1 hooked up. I want to play my PS1 Ridge Racers on my PS2. I'll be connecting my component video, most likely. Maybe RGB SCART if I have to.

Depending on your PS2 model, some games might not be compatible. There's an incomplete list on wiki > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

And pretty sure you'll need a PSX memory card.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Silent hill 3 is probably my favorite in the series. Followed closely by the original. Definetly worth playing.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Space

Aug 16, 2018
Honestly most modern TVs will butcher the PS2's 480i output. 480p will look fine on most sets but as I'm sure you know that is a pretty small section of the library. The Retrotink is a good $100 option that will de-interlace the 480i signal and then let your TV scale the 480p signal, it doesn't support 480p games though.

Otherwise an OSSC can de-interlace and linedouble PS2 games to 960p and they look razor sharp, but it is a little on the expensive side.
This is from the thread OP resource list, it's a pretty comprehensive guide to displaying the PS2 on modern TV's and has some helpful wizardry. Check the comments for helpful timestamps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I&t=1802s

My PS2 Slim is stuttering while reading specific FMV segments of games and, though it might be unrelated, it even slowed to a crawl when I was trying to play SkyGunners.

It occasionally will just freeze during gameplay.

Is this normal behavior for a PS2 Slim or is mine slowly dying? It's been this way since I bought it off eBay a while back, but I didn't think it was too abnormal. Now I'm definitely regretting not sending it back.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The drive is on its way out for sure. There are ways to obviate the need for it, thankfully. Haven't messed around with that stuff in forever, but I'm sure other folks here know all about Free MCBoot and such.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The drive is on its way out for sure. There are ways to obviate the need for it, thankfully. Haven't messed around with that stuff in forever, but I'm sure other folks here know all about Free MCBoot and such.

Yeah, but the USB bus speed is so slow on a slim that HDD loading is inferior to disc loading. You'd be better off finding a phat and broadband adapter and putting in an internal HDD.

Ugh.

Would anyone recommend buying another PS2 Slim or should I just go for the OG? I'd prefer to use discs, if I can.
I once borrowed a friend's OG, and it was experiencing a lot of disc slipping, due to the magnet and plastic not holding the disc firmly enough.

I don't really play enough PS2 to invest too heavily in it, so that's kind of the issue.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ugh.

Would anyone recommend buying another PS2 Slim or should I just go for the OG? I'd prefer to use discs, if I can.
I once borrowed a friend's OG, and it was experiencing a lot of disc slipping, due to the magnet and plastic not holding the disc firmly enough.

I don't really play enough PS2 to invest too heavily in it, so that's kind of the issue.
You could try to clean the lens with a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol. It's probably the lowest amount of time/money investment to try to fix it.

Step 6 (guide is for a phat so you don't need all the dis-assembly steps for a slim)
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+2+Optical+Disc+Drive+Lens+Cleaning/1331

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh.

If you're going to get another ps2 I'd recommend getting a phat ps2 with a hard drive and ripping your discs to it. One benefit to doing that way is your PS2 basically becomes region free.

Oct 31, 2017
Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any mods to use a random HDD with the PS2? Eventually all of the PS2 hard drives will die as well.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
For a hundred games, should I go with a 500 Go or 1 To HDD ? 2.5 or 3.5 ? Is their a best HDD for PS2 list out there ? :D

Edit: I found a list !

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list&...&v_working=&v_version=&v_adaptor=&v_postedby=
Are there any mods to use a random HDD with the PS2? Eventually all of the PS2 hard drives will die as well.

Your best bet is either a SATA to IDE bridge and using a 2.5" drive or an IDE to SD card adapter and using a micro sd card. I personally have a 256gb microsd in my console and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thanks, SD card sounds like the way to go

It makes it absurdly easy to add new games, I'm trying to preserve my laser so I've been ripping them via my pc. Although lately I've been using the network transfer which is slow but doesn't require you to remove the HDD adaptor.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Are there SD adaptors out there or did you mod the HDD adaptor yourself ?
Your best bet is either a SATA to IDE bridge and using a 2.5" drive or an IDE to SD card adapter and using a micro sd card. I personally have a 256gb microsd in my console and it hasn't skipped a beat.

There are ebay links in the description of the YouTube video for the adapter that you'll need. There's no modification required.

The best part is the whole thing is silent. I had a 320gb IDE drive that used to make my console rattle when it was being accessed.

Oct 31, 2017
There are ebay links in the description of the YouTube video for the adapter that you'll need. There's no modification required.

The best part is the whole thing is silent. I had a 320gb IDE drive that used to make my console rattle when it was being accessed.

Ah, I didn't see that. Neat !

I know what I'll be doing this summer ;)

Did you encounter any problem while playing via the SD card until now ?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Did you encounter any problem while playing via the SD card until now ?

None whatsoever, although it can be difficult to format the SD card via your PC so your PS2 will recognise it as a HDD volume but once you're over that hurdle it is all smooth sailing. I've had mine set up for more than 12 months and it has worked perfectly, much better than the creaky old IDE drive I had prior.

Oct 31, 2017
None whatsoever, although it can be difficult to format the SD card via your PC so your PS2 will recognise it as a HDD volume but once you're over that hurdle it is all smooth sailing. I've had mine set up for more than 12 months and it has worked perfectly, much better than the creaky old IDE drive I had prior.

That's great to know, it sounds like the SD is the way to go nowadays.

I'll most likely do it in a few months.