• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Ah I get it now, sweet! That's amazing. OK, does the USB drive need to be FAT32?

Yup FAT32 is perfect.

I wasn't sure what OSDSYS is, thanks. Now I want I know what else you can add :D

OSDYS is the main PS2 menu - the thing with the swirling lights!

Can you force 480p in everything? :D

There is a piece of homebrew to force video modes for PS2 games called GSM where you can force 480p, 720p and 1080p. However, don't expect miracles as the PS2 is fundamentally a 480i machine.

Here's a compatibility list

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yup FAT32 is perfect.

OSDYS is the main PS2 menu - the thing with the swirling lights!

There is a piece of homebrew to force video modes for PS2 games called GSM where you can force 480p, 720p and 1080p. However, don't expect miracles as the PS2 is fundamentally a 480i machine.

Here's a compatibility list

Brilliant, thanks! No 1080p Ridge Racer V support is making me sad, but as the very first game, not really a surprise. An upscaler might be a better option, down the line.

I'd hope one day these games would work perfectly on PS5, but let's see eh. And even if they did, my NegCon wouldn't!

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant, thanks! No 1080p Ridge Racer V support is making me sad, but as the very first game, not really a surprise. An upscaler might be a better option, down the line.

I'd hope one day these games would work perfectly on PS5, but let's see eh. And even if they did, my NegCon wouldn't!

Yeah, you're much better off with a scaler. That said there is a HDMI mod in the works but details are thin on the ground but I think it will offer hardware de-interlacing.

The retrotink2x is a fantastic option for PS2 as it will de interlace 480i games and has a filter that complements PS2 graphics quite well.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
are there any places aside from ebay and that are either uk based or will ship to the uk cheaply that sell replacement ps2 parts? kinda snapped the button off the on the board board that powers up the PS2 slim and the solder points are way to small for me to try and fix them

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think were best looking 3D fighters on ps2? Is it Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 3, or perhaps... other choices?

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. The true king. Possibly the best of the series with one of the greatest training modes of all time and a ridiculous amount of single player content to go through.

Oh. Speaking of which, we never got arcade perfect (they had better textures and more polys on sega naomi) ports of VF4 including Final Tuned.

Yeah, training is great. It actually teaches you stuff and not just shows buttons.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all. Had a question about possibly preserving our family's PS2 collection (or at least part of it). Is it possible to back up PS2 games on a computer, and if so, what tool is recommended to do so safely and effectively? Would be nice to be able to not have to worry about games no longer working or worse, not being able to play them on the PS2 because it eventually quits out on us.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hey all. Had a question about possibly preserving our family's PS2 collection (or at least part of it). Is it possible to back up PS2 games on a computer, and if so, what tool is recommended to do so safely and effectively? Would be nice to be able to not have to worry about games no longer working or worse, not being able to play them on the PS2 because it eventually quits out on us.

The Official ImgBurn Website

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit... and it's free!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I second imgburn. I use it all the time.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

The Official ImgBurn Website

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit... and it's free!
I second imgburn. I use it all the time.

Thank you. Is there a particular download mirror either of you would suggest, as I tried the Major Geeks one but my browser detected a virus. :/

Maybe that's someone's way of telling me it's not worth the trouble right now. ha

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Thank you. Is there a particular download mirror either of you would suggest, as I tried the Major Geeks one but my browser detected a virus. :/

Maybe that's someone's way of telling me it's not worth the trouble right now. ha
hmm, interesting. I didn't notice anything previously, but just downloaded the one hosted by imgburn and maleware bytes is showing an adware malware.

zpiefEo.png

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

That's weird.

I tried downloading from their website and chrome flagged the download.

I got a copy of it from Softpedia and it downloaded fine

I went ahead and installed it on my other machine and it seems to be working no problem
I scanned it with Windows Defender and it came up clean.

www.softpedia.com

Download ImgBurn 2.5.8.0

Download ImgBurn - Burn data to CDs and DVDs, create images, verify data integrity, and configure numerous settings when using this ultimate image burner

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I picked up a PS2 today and for $50 it was a pretty good deal. Fat system, network adapter, 3 controllers, about 10 good to decent games and an s-video cable. Everything works except literally all of the controllers. I wouldn't be surprised if one was faulty but all 3?

I have a PS1 controller so that's fine but is there a way to fix the PS2 controllers? Is this a common thing? Is there a usual suspect with these controllers?

thanks, any help or input would be appreciated.

May 24, 2019
Hey. My Dualshock 2 is crapping out, so I'm looking at some auctions and came across this:
SLggAo4.jpg

My question is: do these look like official Sony component cables? The listing just calls them 'AV cables'
bTu2ONh.jpg

I've got 3rd party component and they're a little noisy, so if the cables are Sony, and the controller works (and I get a bonus slim ps2) this could be a great deal!

edit: Might go with the Brook adapter instead, so I can use my WiiU Pro controller 😁

Last edited:

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
PS2 fam! Hi! I had no idea this thread existed.

So the recent PS3 store closure scare got me to dive back into all of my old consoles, buying new games I always wanted too. It's been great.

Then I got to my PS2...

Both of my Dualshock 2's have been dead for years now so all I've been able to play is Guitar Hero because of it. I miss all of my other games so I looked into ways to fix the DS2's up, but since they're both H models it's going to require some soldering which scares me to death. So that's on the back-burner for now and I splurged on a still-sealed DS2 from a seller on Ebay. That place is filled with so many knockoff Dualshock 2's it's crazy. They all even use similar packaging and Sony lettering. I've yet to open it (still not 100% sure it's real), but since I heard about the Brooks adapter that'll let me use my DS3 or 4 instead I'd rather just go with that and leave the DS2 in package as a backup option if I have to. Sadly, I can't find a place to buy that Brooks adapter anywhere, everything says sold out or not even listed. I'm guessing because of COVID manufacturing/supply issues. Guess I'll just have to wait. I can still play Guitar Hero at least, lol.

The second big issue I have is video output. This looks like shit on my 4kTV. The resolution is completely understandable, but what really gets me is the brightness. Everything is so dark, even when maxed out. I did a little digging into solutions and many say the easiest solution is to get a component cable (like this one from HD Retrovision) since it's supported natively by the console, and all of these HDMI converters/upscalers always add input lag which I hate and wanna stay away from. So I was all set to buy it when I realized that my 4kTV doesn't even support them, just the standard AV cables.

Sigh...I keep running into so many walls. Just wanna play my PS2 again. :(

My PS1 is still doing great though, that hardware was really built to last awhile. :)

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
PS2 fam! Hi! I had no idea this thread existed.

So the recent PS3 store closure scare got me to dive back into all of my old consoles, buying new games I always wanted too. It's been great.

Then I got to my PS2...

Both of my Dualshock 2's have been dead for years now so all I've been able to play is Guitar Hero because of it. I miss all of my other games so I looked into ways to fix the DS2's up, but since they're both H models it's going to require some soldering which scares me to death. So that's on the back-burner for now and I splurged on a still-sealed DS2 from a seller on Ebay. That place is filled with so many knockoff Dualshock 2's it's crazy. They all even use similar packaging and Sony lettering. I've yet to open it (still not 100% sure it's real), but since I heard about the Brooks adapter that'll let me use my DS3 or 4 instead I'd rather just go with that and leave the DS2 in package as a backup option if I have to. Sadly, I can't find a place to buy that Brooks adapter anywhere, everything says sold out or not even listed. I'm guessing because of COVID manufacturing/supply issues. Guess I'll just have to wait. I can still play Guitar Hero at least, lol.

The second big issue I have is video output. This looks like shit on my 4kTV. The resolution is completely understandable, but what really gets me is the brightness. Everything is so dark, even when maxed out. I did a little digging into solutions and many say the easiest solution is to get a component cable (like this one from HD Retrovision) since it's supported natively by the console, and all of these HDMI converters/upscalers always add input lag which I hate and wanna stay away from. So I was all set to buy it when I realized that my 4kTV doesn't even support them, just the standard AV cables.

Sigh...I keep running into so many walls. Just wanna play my PS2 again. :(

My PS1 is still doing great though, that hardware was really built to last awhile. :)

There is a brand new 5x scaler launching very soon which will fix your problem.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
The Brooks adapter is great. I've used it for 100+ hours on PS1 and PS2 and haven't noticed any lag or disconnects with a Dual Shock 4.

Sounds like you want a RetroTink 5x but it's very expensive. You get way you pay for, though. Lots of people will be selling their current scalers so maybe you would be satisfied with a used OSSC or Framemeister or half the price.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
There is a brand new 5x scaler launching very soon which will fix your problem.
😮. Oooo, do tell!

The Brooks adapter is great. I've used it for 100+ hours on PS1 and PS2 and haven't noticed any lag or disconnects with a Dual Shock 4.

Sounds like you want a RetroTink 5x but it's very expensive. You get way you pay for, though. Lots of people will be selling their current scalers so maybe you would be satisfied with a used OSSC or Framemeister or half the price.
Possibly, but I don't really need to upscale. I'd have to weigh my options. I really just want a decent brightness without input lag.

Just wanted to drop by and say that MechaPwn is the best thing to happen to PS2 import gamers.
What a slick solution.

How difficult is GSM to install/use?
I'd like to try upscaling to 480p, but it sounds pretty complicated.

What I'd really like to do is play some Taito Memories in 240p, but I may just have to wait for the next gen up/down scalers to come out.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to drop by and say that MechaPwn is the best thing to happen to PS2 import gamers.
What a slick solution.

What I'd really like to do is play some Taito Memories in 240p, but I may just have to wait for the next gen up/down scalers to come out.

GSM isn't really worth tinkering with for 480p as there is no progressive framebuffer hiding in memory, it just doubles the current field to give you a progressive frame at half resolution. It ends up looking worse than 480i.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
What a slick solution.

i found out about GSM last week and it was pretty simple to use, spent a couple hours messing with the X/Y thing and then discovered there were pretty good settings in the thread on ps2-home

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Wait - is that how all PS2 480p is handled by the console?

No, I'm talking only about 480i games. Native 480p games send out a full frame progressive image (although sometimes at a lower colour depth). GSM is an amazing tool but it can't overcome the limitations of what is by design a 480i console.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
My Brook adapter finally arrived! This'll be the first time I've got working controllers for my PS2 in over a decade, and I bought a bunch of new games to celebrate!

- Resident Evil 4
- Kingdom Hearts
- Ace Combat 5
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Guitar Hero 2

Also, the HD Retrovision component cables literally just ran out of stock in the past week or so. I should've bought one when I had the chance. I'll have to stick with the regular super-dark AV cables for now.

Jun 29, 2020
Neverland
My Brook adapter finally arrived! This'll be the first time I've got working controllers for my PS2 in over a decade, and I bought a bunch of new games to celebrate!

- Resident Evil 4
- Kingdom Hearts
- Ace Combat 5
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Guitar Hero 2

Also, the HD Retrovision component cables literally just ran out of stock in the past week or so. I should've bought one when I had the chance. I'll have to stick with the regular super-dark AV cables for now.
had my PS2 looked up via component cables to my 55" 4K Bravia for years

was gifted a 32 inch CRT and retro games look a thousand times better on it with S cable

if you want the best image you have to get a CRT man, MGS3 for example is literally NIGHT and DAY....looks almost HD on a CRT while it looked like a blurry mess on my HDTV

if I had of known what I know now I would have never gotten rid of my 40 inch Sony CRT when I upgraded to a HDTV

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
had my PS2 looked up via component cables to my 55" 4K Bravia for years

was gifted a 32 inch CRT and retro games look a thousand times better on it with S cable

if you want the best image you have to get a CRT man, MGS3 for example is literally NIGHT and DAY....looks almost HD on a CRT while it looked like a blurry mess on my HDTV

if I had of known what I know now I would have never gotten rid of my 40 inch Sony CRT when I upgraded to a HDTV
I've definitely been considering it. I will certainly be getting a CRT someday, but I just don't have the space for another tv right now.

Edit:

So I had no idea the PSone LCD screen had AV-IN this whole time so I grabbed a splitter and just hooked my PS2 up to it. This feels surreal, but it's certainly fixing my darkness problem lol

Last edited:

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
thinking about getting a brook adaper, how well does it handle a Dualshock 3 and does it register analog buttons?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Recently replaced my dinky old power strip with a more modern surge protector for my retro game room (what I'm calling the guest bedroom now that I've got a bunch of retro consoles hooked up to a wall-mounted HDTV via RetroTINK 5X in there) and plugged in a bunch of consoles including my PS2 slim. Eventually I realized that even though it was plugged in the PS2's red 'stand-by' light wasn't on. Sure enough, the console wouldn't turn on. I was able to determine that it was the power brick this particular PS2 slim came with (I bought it pre-modded off eBay years before and it came with a third-party DATEL brick) by using my PSOne's official power supply which is said to be able to power a PS2slim despite the different amperage/voltage. Well, it definitely turned on so that was great. Ran GTA3 for a bit but I guess it wasn't a perfect solution as the console glitched and then reset itself during gameplay. So I went online to try to locate an official Sony power brick for my particular slim model, wading through a bunch of overseas knockoffs because I def don't want to go through this same mess again anytime soon. Got one off eBay at a reasonable price so now I'm just waiting for the unit to arrive.

Replacing that old DATEL brick was probably something I should have done long ago, but when something just works you don't question it, ya know?

thinking about getting a brook adaper, how well does it handle a Dualshock 3 and does it register analog buttons?
Uh yeah, I'd like an answer to this as well. I've only got the one working DS2 (translucent blue, baby) so if that ever bites the dust I've got spare unopened DS4s just sitting in my closet not getting used.

Quaker

Oct 27, 2017
What games would be easy to definitively test that? Do Dual Shock 4s even have that capability to begin with?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Recently replaced my dinky old power strip with a more modern surge protector for my retro game room (what I'm calling the guest bedroom now that I've got a bunch of retro consoles hooked up to a wall-mounted HDTV via RetroTINK 5X in there) and plugged in a bunch of consoles including my PS2 slim. Eventually I realized that even though it was plugged in the PS2's red 'stand-by' light wasn't on. Sure enough, the console wouldn't turn on. I was able to determine that it was the power brick this particular PS2 slim came with (I bought it pre-modded off eBay years before and it came with a third-party DATEL brick) by using my PSOne's official power supply which is said to be able to power a PS2slim despite the different amperage/voltage. Well, it definitely turned on so that was great. Ran GTA3 for a bit but I guess it wasn't a perfect solution as the console glitched and then reset itself during gameplay. So I went online to try to locate an official Sony power brick for my particular slim model, wading through a bunch of overseas knockoffs because I def don't want to go through this same mess again anytime soon. Got one off eBay at a reasonable price so now I'm just waiting for the unit to arrive.

Replacing that old DATEL brick was probably something I should have done long ago, but when something just works you don't question it, ya know?

Uh yeah, I'd like an answer to this as well. I've only got the one working DS2 (translucent blue, baby) so if that ever bites the dust I've got spare unopened DS4s just sitting in my closet not getting used.
DS4 is digital buttons

What games would be easy to definitively test that? Do Dual Shock 4s even have that capability to begin with?
GT3/4, MGS2/3 are the ones i can think of from the top of my head

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
The one I'm talking about is still new in box. I do use 2 others as my primary PS3 controller and for PC games. Both get regular-ish use.
i found out a while ago and forgot until a week ago but if you have fmcb and opl installed on your PS2 you can use a usb bluetooth adapter and play games wirelessly with vibration on a DS3 or DS4, only thing is you can only use it with ripped games rather than playing them via the disc drive and some adapters/games don't work with it

bought a TP-Link UB4A and it works pretty well with no noticeable latency on a DS3

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7447

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
i found out a while ago and forgot until a week ago but if you have fmcb and opl installed on your PS2 you can use a usb bluetooth adapter and play games wirelessly with vibration on a DS3 or DS4, only thing is you can only use it with ripped games rather than playing them via the disc drive and some adapters/games don't work with it

bought a TP-Link UB4A and it works pretty well with no noticeable latency on a DS3

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7447
Good information to have on-hand, though I don't have FMCB or need one currently (that could change in the future).

In related news:
What's the best way to test if your Dual Shock 2's face buttons are starting to give out? Was playing GTAIII recently and noticed I had to push X harder than usual just to get vehicles to accelerate at normal velocity.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Whoa, I just copped DBZ Tenkaichi 3 complete for $3 at a yard sale. One of the last gaps in my want list.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
The one I'm talking about is still new in box. I do use 2 others as my primary PS3 controller and for PC games. Both get regular-ish use.
looked at a couple reviews on amazon about the brook converter and with DS3 it does provide pressure sensitive controls in stuff like MGS and GTA

i also discovered this will be coming out next year so it might be worth holding out on the cabled one

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like we'll soon have another option for loading original back-ups on aging PS2 hardware.

20220131-190812.jpg131_190812.jpg

The SIO2SD project has been going for some time, I've been keeping an eye on it since learning about it a few months ago during the prototype stage. Glad to see someone has finally worked out some of the annoyances that cropped up during dev and moved towards mass production. To be clear, there are multiple people working on various iterations of this tech (based on schematics developed by hobbyists who want the community to come together and build it), this is just the first of them that's feature-complete and ready to be marketed to the general public. SIO2SD Dev Forum

pros
- faster than USB loading
- plug and play
- inexpensive compared to other more popular methods
- compatible with all PS2 models except for the slim 90000 series (not Free McBoot compatible)

cons
- currently requires a Free McBoot modded memory card (MagicGate certified) w/ a specific version of OPL to work
- by no means is it 100% compatible with all PS2 titles (but then, what is?) Game Compatibility List
- limited to microSD 256GB max (FAT32 formatted only)
- doesn't work for loading PS1 games... yet
- backups larger than 4GB will need to be splitted using special software

First batches will be available to order next Friday (Feb. 18).