• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which had a better library

• PS2

Votes: 421 74.9%
  • PS4

Votes: 141 25.1%

• Total voters

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
At first I thought "PS2 easily!". But once I started considering the indie games we have this generation, picking one library becomes a bit of a challenge. Indie games in some ways fill up some of the space that was occupied by the unique whacky games of the PS2 era. I need to think about this one for a bit, but as of now I am leaning towards PS2.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
PS2. Surpassing it is a tall order. So it goes without saying PS4 is still among the best.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also in PS4s favor we didnt have anything multiplayer like Fortnite, Rocket League, Overwatch, or Destiny etc back then. Some may say that's for the better but I dont think so. And there will be more to come I imagine in the next 2 years.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PS2 had gigantic market share, which resulted in a lot of exclusive software. It's not even a fair comparison lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 is still ongoing. While it hasn't reached PS2 yet, there's still a lot of time left.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
No because 1 & 2 were PS1 games. And 1 wasnt technically the best but damn it was good back in the day. The soundtrack alone is one of the more memorable in all of gaming.
You can still play those on PS2 :P and any one of them is better than what PS4 has, THPS5. *barfs*

I got the platinum trophy in THPS5

Dec 15, 2017
I was going to write a whole summary of how the ps2 was better than the ps4. But I just state that PS2 plays PS2 and PS1 games... let that sink in.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
PS2 by far.

I mean, there was a point where the GTA games were PS2 exclusive. That thing was a beast.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
PS2's library is legendary. PS4 has a great library and it will only get better in the next few years.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Based on that list, PS4. However, that could be more a symptom of age, as I think Sony has done a great job of maturing their franchises as their original audience gets older. Basically, the PS4 library appeals to me more now than the PS2 library releasing in 2018 would.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I think there are some slight nostalgia goggles here.

The PS2 is king, but I think the modern PS4 is being a little overlooked since its current. There is a damn good library on PS4, a lot of it exclusives. A high grade masterpiece just dropped like 4 days ago exclusively, with more coming this year and like 4 more for 2019 possibly.

PS4 is a new king.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Still hand it to ps2. Those were my JRPG days and oh man ps2 had tons. PS4 is truly great though and still probably has 2 strong years to go.

Zandareth

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke? PS2 by a mile!
I would even say that i prefer the PS3 library than the PS4 one.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
The diversity and hidden gem factor on the PS2 was like no other. Now the only other games that round out the fantastic games on the PS4 are indie BS that nobody plays. So yeah PS2 just wins.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
It isn't really fair. . PS2 has many more games for quite a few series while many of the series on PS4 only have one game released so far. Also a huge JRPG fan so it is even much worse in my eyes.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What's with these ranking threads? This is like the 3rd or 4th rank the PlayStation threads we've had this year.
From the other threads most feel PS4 is either the worst playstation or second worst with the PS3 taking that shame.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, counting upcoming games that we know of, I'm gonna have to go with ps4.

It's been incredible.

But it's cheating cause it got some remasters :x .

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
PS2, but the PS4 is slowly catching it. If we have another 2-3 years of the PS4 it could easily surpass the PS2 in terms of quality content--assuming the games we know about play as well as they look.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
half the ps2 library didnt age well. but at the time, it was such a force of nature. ps4 cant compete with that

Nov 1, 2017
It doesn't really compare. PS2 had games that might not be the greatest of all time but still pushed boundaries that we don't see in this era. (Katamari, okami, an MMO on a console, GTA3, etc.)