• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which had a better library

• PS2

Votes: 421 74.9%
  • PS4

Votes: 141 25.1%

• Total voters

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Not up for debate, its PS2 with a bullet.

I will say PS4 shits on PS3s garbage ass.

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 for me. Every game I enjoyed on PS2 has better version on PS4 (Rez Infinite in VR vs Rez, SotC Remaster vs SotC, GT Sport vs GT4 and so on), then there is VR, then there is Bloodborne.

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this thread a bit premature?

PS2 was on the market for over ten years. PS4 has only been on the market 4-1/2.

Of course Ps2 has a better library. The best library of all time. Perhaps we should wait till PS4 has a few more years under its belt before we start comparing?

But even then it's gonna come up short.

No silent hill.
No current gen rockstar game (yet).
No mainline Gran turismo.
No sly cooper or jak and daxter.
No new socom.
No new burnout.
No new SSX.

PS4 is missing a lot currently what made ps2 so enjoyable for me.

So PS2 by a landslide.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On exclusives for its generation, PS2 wins easily. The PS2 was more important to own during its gen than the PS4 is today because of that. This thread doesn't specify exclusives or historical impact so I'm leaning PS4 but I will have to give it more thought.

PS4's way better for immersive sims like Prey, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: MD compared to a very downgraded DX1. PS4's way better for WRPGs: Witcher 3, Torment, Elex, Divinity. Sonic Mania crushes any platformer on PS2. Shadow of the Colossus, one of the PS2's best games, has been remade even better on PS4.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love PS4's library but PS2 was in an entirely different stratosphere of quantity. It's kind of unfair to compare them imo. PS2 was a juggernaut.

Oct 30, 2017
unquestionably PS2, even though i'd obviously rather take the PS4 to a desert island. for its time PS2 has easily the greatest home console library ever.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
The PS2 and original DS were always the best system/handheld ever to me, not because they had the best AAA games available, but because they also had a ton of great niche/smaller titles that might not be GOTY contender, but were unique and super cool that were greatly remembered.

Few Examples:
Katamari Damacy
Indigo Prophecy
Mister Mosquito
Fatal Frame
Rez
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Elite Beat Agents

Sadly with today development budget we hardly see these experimental titles anymore.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PS2 and original DS were always the best system/handheld ever to me, not because they have the best AAA games available, but because they also have a ton of great niche/smaller titles that may not be GOTY contender, but were unique and super cool that were greatly remembered.

Few Examples:
Katamari Damacy
Indigo Prophecy
Mister Mosquito
Fatal Frame
Rez
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Elite Beat Agents

Sadly with today development budget we hardly see these experimental titles anymore.
Not to mention those are the top 2 best selling consoles of all time. That matters. DS, like PS2, just has a lot of quantity to choose from.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
PS2.

PS2's library can be in the discussion of greatest game library of all time.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the best PS4 games are PS2 games.

The PS2 library is better, the depth is incredible, third and first party exclusives everywhere, but of course I'd much rather play a PS2 remaster than play on an actual PS2.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
when I think of my mental image of a great video game console

the NES and PS2 are the first images that pop into my mind

More so than the PS4 (which along with PSVR has given me the most enjoyment in gaming that I've had since the early 90s)

Oct 28, 2017
BookReaderImages.php

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly happy with the PS4's, but the PS2's is pretty much widely recognized as the gold standard for a rich library, there just isn't a point of comparison.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
PS2 had the Katamari games and various SD Gundam G Generations. Lots of AA games. Many japanese 3rd parties on their prime. Many arcade racers, arcade sports and fighting games from all the top publishers. As a PC gamer I had to buy a PS2. I dont see any reason to buy a PS4.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 library is worst Sony home console library by a large margin. How games like Resident Evil 4 even belong to PS2? Either it belongs on neither (and it's a GCN title) or it belongs to both. When you take away games that have been remastered or have million ports everywhere, you're just left with tons of jank that's even worse than PS1 library.

I like old consoles and I've recently picked up original PS3 model so it could play PS2 dvds. 2 years later I still haven't bought a single PS2 retail game because I just see no point in them (the only one I was considering was Yakuza 2, but might as well wait for Kiwami 2 at this point). I bought plenty of PS3 and PS1 games though.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Library aside, I think right now with the quality of the games and the visual fidelity, I'm going PS4. Just too many amazing games on it

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS4 highs is as good as PS2 highs , if not better . Games like Bloodborne , Nier Automata , Horizon , Persona 5 and God of War 4 are really the epitome of some of the best gaming times I've ever had .

It's just that PS2 had so much more other than the highs , also survival horror games like Silent Hill 2&3 and Fatal Frame trilogy that are yet to be surpassed . Say if Kuon is somehow re-imagined for PS4 by FromSoft , to me , PS4 will finally edge PS2 .

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Something's twlleing me to say PS2. I just know it kept me busy for a long time. I still play PS2.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Ps2 had so much variety
We have to take the games in the vacuum.of their time
So much amazing games and genres flourishing cause developing was so much cheaper

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The thing is, 3D gaming was still in early days when the PS2 came out so a lot of things feel unpolished and not good to play - today more than then. But as a single player gamer, I still have to choose PS2.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
PS2 for sure but personally I prefer PS4's library mainly because I missed out the PS2 gen.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This isn't even a question. Not only did it have a better library but it also could play the PS1's superior library as well.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Weird thread - the PS4 library hasn't finished yet? You can't write 'had' in the subject.

For me though if I must take part, PS4 is winning already.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even close.

PS2 and you can't get that cat back in the bag. They may both have huge heavyweights but PS2 had a prolific midcard and cruiserweight division that we'll never see again now that games cost half a country's GDP to make.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
We've lost too many franchises and sometimes even genres (despite getting a few new ones and indie games) so I think any generation will have a hard time to get the sheer volume and variety of games the PS2 era had.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
As mush as I loved some games that PS2 offered, like Silent Hill 2-3, Shadow of Memories, Soul Reaver sequels, SSX, Project Zero 1-3, and Final Fantasy X, the PS4 has already offered me more games to play (about 40, not counting remasters, vs. the PS2's 32) , and a much wider variety due to indies. Both generations have given me one of my top 3 games of all time though, namely Silent Hill 2 and Bloodborne.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's an unfair comparison because games nowadays need much more time, much more money and much more people in order to be made, so having less games is completely normal. Ps4 has the best gaming library of all modern consoles, but it's smaller than ps2, of course.

Oct 30, 2017
PS2 without a doubt... it has the 2nd best library after the PS1.

Anyway the PS4 still have two to three years so let's wait.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Played each at the time of release, PS2 had a bigger quantity of top tier titles.

Today if I had to choose between the two libraries I go with PS4.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it's possible to surpass the PS2 anymore. Games take way too long to make, so we're never going to get that absurd quantity level, even with indies.

The DS is really the only other system that comes close (PS1 is strong too).

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The PS2 had SSX 3 so it automagically wins.

The original was better though, as far as I'm concerned. More imaginative tracks, like Tokyo Megaplex and Mercury City Meltdown, better (and less obnoxious) music, and you could actually change the camera view from upclose to bird's-eye view. I also disliked how you couldn't go to the tracks straight from the menu in SSX 3.