• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which had a better library

• PS2

Votes: 421 74.9%
  • PS4

Votes: 141 25.1%

• Total voters

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some highlights I picked from each console-
Persona 3/4 vs Persona 5
God Of War 1/2 vs God of War 2018
FF10/12 vs FF15
GTA SA/3/Vice City vs GTA V
ICO/SOTC vs Last Guardian
MGS 2/3 vs MGSV
RE4 vs RE 7
Killzone 1/2 Vs Killzone 4/Horizon Zero Dawn
Dark Cloud 1/2 Vs Ni No Kuni 2
Gran turismo 3/4 vs Gran Turismo Sport
Jak and Daxter Vs Uncharted/Last of Us
Ratchet and Clank Ps2 games vs Ratchet and Clank Ps4
Kings Field IV vs Bloodborne/ Dark Souls 3
Dragon Quest 8 Vs Dragon Quest XI
Tekken 4/5 Vs Tekken 7
Ps4 Extras : Nioh, Nier Automata, Doom, Witcher 3
PS2 extras: Silent Hill 2/3/4, Okamai, Devil May Cry 3, Kingdom Hearts 1/2

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
As much as I enjoy my PS4. The library of the PS2 is almost on another level. I think only the DS can match it. I mean, in your comparison you are putting together several PS2 game vs 1 single entry on PS4.

Dec 14, 2017
PS4 library is still growing, so neither. Right now at this moment though, PS2. There's no Gitaroo Man on PS4 after all.

raitk

Jan 27, 2018
PS4 still has at least 2 years for games to come out. At the moment ps2 had better library but at the end of this gen the ps4 could be the winner.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
PS2.

That said a lot has changed since then, dev times are insane these days and we are missing so many Studios/dev teams.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Come on. PS2 by a mile. The PS4's library has been excellent so far, but no console in general comes close to the PS2's insane library.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Not really fair comparison. The PS2 era produced alot of capable and good games from AA developers that boost the numbers greatly....AA devs were all but gone now in the current generation. We have indie games to fill their void but the nature of indie games means that it's hits or miss alot of the times.

I'll reckon alot of the AAA we have now are actually much better than the PS2 era.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think PS2 wins in terms of sheer variety of games released on the platform. I just recently got into collecting for PS2 games and there are just so many great games in every genre. PS4 has a fantastic library but it will never reach the PS2 simply because the industry has contracted so much since then. Indies make up for that somewhat, but not enough imo

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say PS2, but PS4 is at least attempting to be a worthy successor and will probably end up as the best Sony Console since the PS2.

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 has a good library for a modern console, but it's impossible to compete with the game output from Japan in the pre HD era. Developers that used to put out tons of quality games now take 5 times as long to make them, have gone under, or have moved on to mobile and pachislot games.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
PS2 and it's not even a contest, leaps and bounds difference. The only one that competes (and surpasses, imo) is the PS1.
And these two are so far and above everything.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you could be stranded on a desert island with a ps2 and a bottomless box of its library and be set for the rest of your life.

caveat with ps4 there's virtually no shovelware or licensed crap

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
One of them had Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, Gauntlet Legends, Burnout and genuinely fantastic Star Wars games the other does not. So yea I'd say its pretty clear.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard for me to say PS2 when it's the past but it is definitely PS2...for now.

Aside from those you mentioned there was Freedom Fighters, TimeSplitters 2, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, Beyond Good & Evil, Baldurs Gate, Fatal Frame...

PS4 has some amazing stuff though too and I wouldnt count it out by the end of this gen. Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn, God Of War

And we still have some huge games from them to come. Ghosts of whatever its called, The Last Of Us 2, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Death Stranding...it'll give PS2 a run for it's money.

Last edited:

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
For their time, ps2 games were better. But game design and writing got so much better along the way.

PS2 for innovation, PS4 for growth.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I came into this thread expecting most people to say PS4. I'm surprised. Call me crazy but I don't think the PS2 was a very good console. The only notable games to me are Persona 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Odin Sphere, and Disgaea. I don't even need to get into multiplats to beat that on the PS4.

Fr1zzank

Nov 20, 2017
PlayStation 2 is the greatest console of all time, and that's due to its library, sooooo...

npclivesmatter

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Apr 18, 2018
PS2 is the best console ever because of the library. the amount of of games and quality will never be replicated.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 for me. PS2 is good, but honestly many classic PS2 games feel archiac to me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread expecting most people to say PS4. I'm surprised. Call me crazy but I don't think the PS2 was a very good console. The only notable games to me are Persona 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Odin Sphere, and Disgaea. I don't even need to get into multiplats to beat that on the PS4.

were you "around" back then? criticizing the ps2's library is like criticizing the atlantic ocean

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
PS2 by a country mile. That's like comparing the sun to the moon. The PS4 library will never be as robust or get that level of Japanese support.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll choose PS4 for the time being, but I think the PS2 library may end up being more timeless in the end. 2017/2018 have been incredibly strong for PS4, though I'm not quite sure yet how games like Horizon will stand the test of time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy my PS4. The library of the PS2 is almost on another level. I think only the DS can match it. I mean, in your comparison you are putting together several PS2 game vs 1 single entry on PS4.
Yeah its not even close.

In terms of diversity the PS2 and DS were the kings and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 without a question. PS4 has some decent games, but the PS2 have literally hundreds of interesting games in all genres. One of the most robust libraries of any console ever.

npclivesmatter

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Apr 18, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Excessive hostile rhetoric towards another member. History of such conduct.
I'm 35 and I've owned most consoles throughout the years, so yeah I was around.
with all due respect. you must be full of shit then

PS2 library is the greatest of all consoles ever made. quality is amazing and so is quantity. we had a perfect amount of every genre.

Xbox 360 has the second best library probably (I know PS3 had the big exclusives later. but the xbox had a lot of games that were not even released on PS3 during the first ~4-5 years because it was difficult to make games for PS3 and it came out a year later)

also not just because of the quantity. PS2 had relatively very little shovelware even compared to last gen or this gen (digital crap).