• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

r/PS3 - HELP: Can’t download purchased games from the PSN Store

7 votes and 21 comments so far on Reddit

" An error occurred during the install operation - (80029509) "

Getting a download to go through seems like pure luck now and I think the latest firmware update despite being for "Stability" did more harm than good as it didn't error out this much before. So far this thread is the only real resource i've seen with others discussing the issue. It seems to be an issue whether you have 2FA or not.

Is anyone else impacted by this? I still have a few things left to download and have just been randomly trying when I remember.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm having the same error code when attempting to play Final Fight Double Impact. But the text says "Server may currently be down for maintenance or updating".

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I must have dodged a bullet cause I also just bought Undead Nightmare this weekend and had no issues.
Earlier this year though I was trying to copy Silent Hill to my Vita and got an error and just eventually gave up

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I must have dodged a bullet cause I also just bought Undead Nightmare this weekend and had no issues.
Earlier this year though I was trying to copy Silent Hill to my Vita and got an error and just eventually gave up
Don't think you can copy games from PS3 to Vita anymore with the requirement of 2FA. Since 2FA works by giving a unique password, the passwords don't match from PS3 and Vita.

Apr 5, 2022
I just get the occasional "Playstation Network is under maintenance" message for some reason then when I retry to login it lets me go in, Sony should just leave the PS3 stuff alone and keep it working as is. That update just ruined things, and to answer Zyrokai? Yeah, the PS3 store is fully operational, they aren't closing it.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I was about to make a thread and I just searched on google "PS3 error code resetera" to see if anyone had talked about this in the past months, and I see this.
I've been going crazy for the past two days because of this and the issues seem to have started TWO years ago, around the time they said they were going to shut down the PS Store for the PS3.
I've started FFXIII-2 again with the intent to finish it this time (dropped it twice since it came out but now I really wanted to get back to it and see it through). So I bought one of the bonus Episodes DLCs since they're cheap, just to test if it worked. Well it didn't. Then I bought a costume at 1$ to try again after going through some troubleshootings steps, still didn't work.
Everyone gets the same error codes.

20230308_041503.jpg

20230308_035203.jpg

I've tried everything suggested on official forums, reddit, gamefaqs etc. It sometimes involves turning off 2FA, sometimes turning it on, set a unique device password for the PS3 on the PS website... sometimes it's said to wait for two hours or even a full day for the changes to take effect. But be sure to turn off 2FA. No actually make sure you have it turned on! Or not. Restart router, yada yada. I even did a database rebuild of the console. I've seen people say that some of these steps worked for them, but for many others it doesn't. Nothing works.
Seriously wtf, I didn't pay much for these but what about people who are buying more expensive DLCs?
I've considered giving up and start the game again on PC but I've heard the port is awful and it's the third time I've played up to the point I dropped the game, so I'm not doing it again from the start. And I really wanted to keep playing this time, but not having the bonus episodes (especially the Sazh and Lightning ones) sucks...
At least it seems to be a widespread issue, I thought I was one of the only ones currently having this issue.

I've spent so many hours in the past two days on this shit, my god...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'd just like to know for sure, is it better to have 2FA on or off? I swear I keep reading contradicting stuff on this

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I just installed Mirrors Edge the other day and had no problems, but that was before the new firmware. I'll try to do something tonight and see if there's an issue

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I also experienced this when downloading a game the other day, but I tried again a little later and the game downloaded fine. There's a definite inconsistency to it.

So I'd just like to know for sure, is it better to have 2FA on or off? I swear I keep reading contradicting stuff on this
This is occurring regardless of 2FA status. IMO better to have 2FA on because there are active security threats on PSN. I think 2FA only broke transferring games between PS3 and handhelds.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a big thread on this from two years ago: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/105656-cant-install-games-on-my-ps3-error-code-80029509/

Old troubleshooting guide saying to turn off 2FA: https://stealthoptional.com/guides/ps3-error-code-80029509-fix/

Two years old Youtube vid about the two error codes, says to turn 2FA on, many people thanking him because it worked for them and his guide was posted on other websites:
youtu.be

PS3 Download Errors 80029721 & 80029509 Workaround: PSN How To

Trying to download content from Sony's PlayStation 3 store? I was too! I ran into a download error and think I found a workaround until Sony finds a perman...

This one I don't like because it says one of the primary causes is corrupted data (I doubt it): https://www.fresherslive.com/latest...9-how-to-fix-ps3-error-code-80029509-10014306

Old article on Gamerant about the same errors: https://gamerant.com/ps3-playstation-store-not-working-2021/
They posted the "fix" from the above youtube vid: https://gamerant.com/ps3-error-code-80029721-fix/

There are dozens of threads about it on reddit:

r/playstation - Can't install game on my PS3 - Error Code 80029509

15 votes and 23 comments so far on Reddit

r/PS3 - what is and how to fix 80029721 error?

2 votes and 5 comments so far on Reddit

Sorry that was just some of the stuff I was keeping open to post in a new thread. Just to point out that it's old, I don't know why it's been acting up again so much in the past days but like Jawmuncher said, it may be firmware related? Anyway, that sucks and at this point I don't know if I can trust Sony to fix it. Being able to buy stuff and not being able to install it is on another level -__-

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think you can copy games from PS3 to Vita anymore with the requirement of 2FA. Since 2FA works by giving a unique password, the passwords don't match from PS3 and Vita.
Don't both of those devices now require a "device" password or something? You have to generate it from Sony's website. I did it once, stored it in my password manager, and haven't had a problem logging in.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't both of those devices now require a "device" password or something? You have to generate it from Sony's website. I did it once, stored it in my password manager, and haven't had a problem logging in.
Yes, that's what I mean by 2FA, as that was how you setup those systems when enabling 2FA.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm having the same error code when attempting to play Final Fight Double Impact. But the text says "Server may currently be down for maintenance or updating".
If PSN for PS3 ever goes down permanently, Double Impact will forever* be unplayable on it thanks to the online DRM that specific version has.

*unless you homebrew it

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the shit-storm if the firmware update was to get the ball rolling on store closure and they'll slowly just doing it instead of announcing it like last time.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, there's basically nothing to do I guess. Just wait and hope for the best...

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
I've had this error since last week. Most of the time, retrying a few times manages to get the download going. If not, waiting a few minutes usually solved the issue for me.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
It's also not letting me play games from Plus, it keeps telling ne that the content has expired.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are people talking about it on twitter? I feel like it's only when enough people are making a fuss on twitter that they notice and do something, or at least put out a basic statement saying they'll look into it

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not just me then. You can power through after multiple attempts but yeah, not ideal.

It's also not letting me play games from Plus, it keeps telling ne that the content has expired.
I think you need to restore licenses for that. If you've topped up since you last used your PS3, it doesn't realise and thinks the sub has expired on the previous date iirc.

EDIT: PS4 has the restore licenses option. PS3 best bet may be to redownload a Plus game then cancel it to "trigger" knowledge of the renewal. Happened once to me but memory is hazy.

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017

Are these games that were recently working? When PS3 installs PS+ games it activates it for the life of your current subscription and doesn't check this again until you launch the game (so if you installed ages ago but not played the game, and you've since renewed your subscription the original entitlement on the install may have expired and if there is some kind of outage going on at the moment then it can't apply the updated entitlement at the moment).

If it is a game that was working recently then perhaps best to disconnect it from the internet while this outage is going on so as not to mess with the license on any more games.

Edit:- I've just tested this and a PS+ game I've played recently is working fine, however a PS+ game I've not played for 10 years will not renew it's license (the local license expired in 2014). You can view the license info on a game by pressing Triangle -> Information and then scrolling to the bottom. I'd suggest this most likely just an outage rather than something nefarious.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022
I bought a couple of ps3 games a few weeks ago, and the process was such a pain in the ass that it seemed intentional. I guess I should have just hacked the thing

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not just me then. You can power through after multiple attempts but yeah, not ideal.
I'm not exaggerating when I say I must have tried nearly a hundred times in the past 48 hours, at different times.
I don't know what method has the best chance of working: downloading the DLC from the game's store page on the PSN, or from the PSN download history list, or from the download history list in the main PS3 menu, or directly from the game's main menu in the DLC section... I don't know but I've tried it all, many times.

It's also funny that the DLCs I've bought appear in my downloads history lists even though it has never let me download them. Or it's like, the download starts but it fucks up at the end when it should install it, so I have it in my list even though it's never been completely downloaded...

*sigh*

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I had to try like 20 times before it let me download the Dead Space 3 Online pass from the store. It's jus all screwed up but I don't think it's because of the update. Been this way for a ong time now.

I've also heard there are issues with it keeping you logged in because it has no way to verify the 2-factor authentication. And yes I get logged out all the time.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 PSN store that continues to get worse. Turns out paying for online subscription does nothing to maintain an online store.
Good luck to us all who bought digital downloads from consoles.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Having issues too sadly. Of course with this getting barely any press just like the last few times they've broken functionality on PS3, we'll just have to wait until someone bothers to fix it.

The PS3 PSN store that continues to get worse. Turns out paying for online subscription does nothing to maintain an online store.
Good luck to us all who bought digital downloads from consoles.

Yep. Those people who're so passionate about all digital will maybe start to reconsider once a console they used to love has this happen to them.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of the thread I made about Titanfall 1 being plagued by a hacker, making the game impossible to play, but it still could be bought (and it still is I think? Despite being unplayable by anyone)
Remember the "Can I ask why do you accuse me?" ...

Like, how the fuck do we let that happen, and why isn't the press saying anything about it?
And why do I always have to try making some noise about this sort of shit on Era, reddit and twitter -__-
It shouldn't happen. At LEAST take away the possibility of buying your crap if it cannot be played, holy fucking shit.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I can connect to the PSN store on the Vita but if I try and download anything I get an error.

This is why I use Open CMA to backup every one of my Vita purchases to my pc. With it you don't have to worry about Sony messing up on their side.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Those people who're so passionate about all digital will maybe start to reconsider once a console they used to love has this happen to them.
Well, I've been going digital when I can for a few reasons. Lack of space, to the point I have to rent a storage container to keep my old stuff because I now live in a much smaller place, and I also never sell anything because I very often replay games, however old. But in this case it's not only digital games, it's every DLC! There's nothing that can be done about that. People who still go for physical purchase as much as they can are still screwed. With the PS3 issue here you can't even re-download stuff you previously had installed. And that's one of the things we hear often, "if something gets delisted you'll always be able to get it again from your download history". Not in this case though! So I can agree with you here about how much digital sucks for older consoles.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Having issues too sadly. Of course with this getting barely any press just like the last few times they've broken functionality on PS3, we'll just have to wait until someone bothers to fix it.

Most people passionate about digital only care about playing the newest hottest things, it's the sad reality that most people will sacrifice old stuff for convenience

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'm glad I downloaded all I wanted to download

I updated last night - no issues playing a game but man it's gonna suck if I can't download anything

Was gonna buy another game but won't do it unless they fix this

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Are these games that were recently working? When PS3 installs PS+ games it activates it for the life of your current subscription and doesn't check this again until you launch the game (so if you installed ages ago but not played the game, and you've since renewed your subscription the original entitlement on the install may have expired and if there is some kind of outage going on at the moment then it can't apply the updated entitlement at the moment).

If it is a game that was working recently then perhaps best to disconnect it from the internet while this outage is going on so as not to mess with the license on any more games.

Edit:- I've just tested this and a PS+ game I've played recently is working fine, however a PS+ game I've not played for 10 years will not renew it's license (the local license expired in 2014). You can view the license info on a game by pressing Triangle -> Information and then scrolling to the bottom. I'd suggest this most likely just an outage rather than something nefarious.
Yeah all my Plus games are old ass titles that I haven't checked in a hot minute, none of them worked lol. Normal games work fine as expected, but like everyone else I can't download my old stuff.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I can connect to the PSN store on the Vita but if I try and download anything I get an error.

This is why I use Open CMA to backup every one of my Vita purchases to my pc. With it you don't have to worry about Sony messing up on their side.
Wow are you serious? I just took out my Vita out of storage this morning because I want to start using it again and I didn't have a chance to download anything before I had to leave for work.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Wow are you serious? I just took out my Vita out of storage this morning because I want to start using it again and I didn't have a chance to download anything before I had to leave for work.
The Vita store is absolutely running on fumes at this point. The fact that the download list shows all of my PS3 stuff, doesn't filter the Vita stuff and then if the download fails (which it does 90% of the time), the list goes back to the top. I just can't deal with it anymore lmao, it's so frustrating. Back in the day we could use the old web store and the PSDLE plugin to filter out stuff but nowadays it's a pain in the ass to download everything in a legit way.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Many games I purchased now say they got past their expiration date and can't be played nor redownloaded anymore. It's super random because it's happening with different games every time I power on my PS3. 🤪

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The Vita store is absolutely running on fumes at this point. The fact that the download list shows all of my PS3 stuff, doesn't filter the Vita stuff and then if the download fails (which it does 90% of the time), the list goes back to the top. I just can't deal with it anymore lmao, it's so frustrating. Back in the day we could use the old web store and the PSDLE plugin to filter out stuff but nowadays it's a pain in the ass to download everything in a legit way.
It's always been like that. That's why I loved using my ps3 to download games and just copy them over usb. That's the main reason I decided to back up all my games to my pc. Makes changing out games so much easier.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still no update eh...

I saw on twitter yesterday that someone managed to get in touch with NL support and they said they were gonna escalate the issue. Now to see if something comes of it :|