• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
what a coincidence, just after 3 days of the IDPS exploit releases, sony release this update.

no update from playstation site, however some people was investigate the update file and found it was complied while ago in August, and it didn't block the big kernel hack that was suppose to be released soon but it blocked the browser one, so expect another update to patch that also, probably called 4.83?

i think sony was aware of this for long time but they decide to release this now?

https://twitter.com/PS3FWBot/status/930256479172612097

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
great job sony. now i know about the 4.81 exploit

guess it's good to have a reason to dig it out of storage

Oct 28, 2017
What has more stability. My leg that needs lyrica to keep me standing or the ps3 with this new update? Or is it quality now? Or is only the ps4 quality?

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
It's just Sony's way of saying "hey we still have devs on this, don't even think about putting homebrews on it or I'll cut you".

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there is money involved (Sony making money still off PS3) then resources are allocated to the cow that still gives milk. I might buy me a used PS3 in the near future, the update file for 4.81 is already downloaded :)

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I'm here for the gifs.
For real though, it's incredible that Sony still has a team actively working on updates for this console.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 2 PS3's. One without a hard drive, can I back up my disks as ISO and play them on the non disk PS3 with this?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Doing some googling, apparently hackers are getting ready to release a major exploit that'll allow all PS3s running 4.81 or below to be jailbroken? That hasn't been possible since that initial Geohot hacking back in 2011 has it? Sony jumped on that quick, which is good because online PS3 games would be destroyed by cheaters otherwise. I'm surprised there's teams still trying to do this with the PS3, I figured they all would have moved on to PS4 by now.

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Doing some googling, apparently hackers are getting ready to release a major exploit that'll allow all PS3s running 4.81 or below to be jailbroken? That hasn't been possible since that initial Geohot hacking back in 2011 has it? Sony jumped on that quick, which is good because online PS3 games would be destroyed by cheaters otherwise. I'm surprised there's teams still trying to do this with the PS3, I figured they all would have moved on to PS4 by now.
huh?
CFW PS3 can also log to online, and be banned for ever in less then a day.
so your point is invalid, cheaters was always here, and hack for 4.81 wont change a thing, it just means more noobs will be banned because they signed in to PSN while they have CFW.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
huh?
so your point is invalid, cheaters was always here, and hack for 4.81 wont change a thing, it just means more noobs will be banned because they signed in to PSN while they have CFW.
It's a remarkably easy method for Sony to make it more difficult for cfw users to get on PSN. It doesn't have to prevent it entirely for it to be worth the efffort.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
huh?
My point is not invalid. The 3.55 exploit wasn't widely known until it was too late for most, while cheaters did get in their numbers are low for this reason. If Sony hadn't released 4.82 as quickly as they did, with most systems getting auto updated, the cheaters would have increased a ton. Also people with jailbroken PS3s have methods of getting around bans, they don't stay banned for long. If Sony hadn't released this firmware so quick most online games on PS3 would've been absolutely ruined.

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
My point is not invalid. The 3.55 exploit wasn't widely known until it was too late for most, while cheaters did get in their numbers are low for this reason. If Sony hadn't released 4.82 as quickly as they did, with most systems getting auto updated, the cheaters would have increased a ton. Also people with jailbroken PS3s have methods of getting around bans, they don't stay banned for long. If Sony hadn't released this firmware so quick most online games on PS3 would've been absolutely ruined.
yes, they can enter online again, if they buy another not banned console id from ebay, it's not really worth it to get banned, also the ban is forever for the console and the psn account.
how many people play COD online this days on PS3 anyway?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yeah after all this time I think it's time to jailbreak my PS3 so I should disable internet on PS3 to disable auto update huh next time I boot it up

Looks like the tool will be finalised in Q1 18, I'll make a new PSN account for it just incase not gonna risk using our current ones on it getting banned

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
yes, they can enter online again, if they buy another not banned console id from ebay, it's not really worth it to get banned, also the ban is forever for the console and the psn account.
how many people play COD online this days on PS3 anyway?
A lot of people. Many consider OG Modern Warfare still the best multiplayer, even over the remaster.

OP
OP
L.O.R.D

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people. Many consider OG Modern Warfare still the best multiplayer, even over the remaster.
still, who want to risk the ban hammer for several hours of online game then buy another console ID for $25-$35?
wont cheating on PC is much easier? keys for old COD games is very cheap these days, you can get a key for $10.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
svInRUa.gif

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Interesting.. Maybe I'll keep my fat PS3 offline for a bit.
The slim one might need a bit more stability though, it's been getting a workout with Ni No Kuni and the GoW HD series lately.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand your question. You can back up discs to the hard drive, but how are you doing to do that on a PS3 without a hard drive?

Or if you mean that the disc drive has gone on one of your PS3, yes you could back up discs on one PS3, then transfer them to another without a working disc drive.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand your question. You can back up discs to the hard drive, but how are you doing to do that on a PS3 without a hard drive?

Or if you mean that the disc drive has gone on one of your PS3, yes you could back up discs on one PS3, then transfer them to another without a working disc drive.
Well here is a deeper explaination:

I have a super slim with a working hard drive and one that is broken but runs digital games. I thought about hacking the broken one and installing backup of my games. I am still not sure how I will do that since I don't plan to hack the working PS3. But assuming I backup the disks using the computer, will this hack work with the the iso files?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... Going back to the PS3, you'd see the GUI is too laggy, they should have fixed THAT instead.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a fan-translation scene for the PS3? Curious about this for Vesperia and Yakuza Ishin.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it's always been possible with the fat and possibly slim models at least. The amount of cheaters I have been encountering since then to this day is huge.

But yes, this new thing seems to be for all systems now?

i guess jeff_rigby was right
I think he was "right" a lot of times, it's just the conclusions he drew where sometimes really out there. :)

Last edited: