• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My fat PS3 is finally starting to go, so I'm looking for a replacement. I know that the slim models are long lasting, and not being PS2 backwards compatible isn't an issue for me. What I'm wondering is, which slim model should I order? From what I've seen, the first slim is the most praised while the super slim is kind of hated. Are there good reasons for why I should get the first slim over the newer one? Do people hate the super slim just because of its appearance, or does it also have performance issues?

Oct 27, 2017
Super Slim is more compact and reminds me of the PS1 and PS2 Slim due to the disc drive which is cool. It feels more "budget" and you will potentially need to buy an hdd.

Slim is nice too. I got both but I like the SS more.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regular slim is the one to go, super slim uses less power, but it's louder and the loading mechanism is pure garbage...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
super slim longterm.
early slims are just as bad as fat ps3s reliability wise and slot top is better since those drives wont stop ejecting discs later on (mine did before i sold it)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Regular slim is the one to go, super slim uses less power, but it's louder and the loading mechanism is pure garbage...
Agree.

The Super Slim is too flimsy.

One added benefit is its easier to do system restore, transfers because the Super Slim has a built in hard drive that will be disabled if you install your own.

It's still there with a back up of your system.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
They're the same thing. Buy whichever looks better to you, seem to more conveniently load your discs and fit next to your TV. I've had both and I don't really have a preference.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume the Super Slim has more reliability and the disc drive has less moving parts to break.

Oct 27, 2017
Agree.

The Super Slim is too flimsy.

One added benefit is its easier to do system restore, transfers because the Super Slim has a built in hard drive that will be disabled if you install your own.

It's still there with a back up of your system.

Technically it's not a hard drive, just 12GB flash memory. But I don't think it functions as a backup at all, you still need an external drive to transfer stuff to and from if you end up installing an actual hard drive later on.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is the super slim hideous, it's noisy as fuck if you use discs and prone to drive failures.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Super slim. Changing discs when not in use is annoying on slot load because the whole system turns on.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Never had a slim, but my superslim has been 100% reliable.

It's a bit cheap, plastic wise, but it's small and quiet. I love it.

Oct 27, 2017
Slot load > top load
See below.
Super Slim will have less repair issues because of the pop top. I haven't heard of any build issues with either though.
Yeah, from a longevity standpoint the SSlim might last longer due to less moving parts. Worst that happens is the top doesn't slide as well.

However the Slim is a beast. I still have my original 250GB Uncharted 2 bundle in my closet. Unfortunately doesn't get pulled out much with Catherine getting a PS4 release.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Super Slim may possibly be better for longetivity. Less to repair.

But boy is it the loudest console I ever owned. Well, my Pro may be. I'd have to compare.

But that disk drive and fan noise. Man.

Prefer slim in general. I'll just find me a Super Slim if my Slim dies.